Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Seems expensive when you can just shitpost about islamogauchistes on Twitter.

Case in point:

https://twitter.com/OuchikhKarim/status/936549006125170688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Post beer for gauchistes ITT

I wanted to say 86 but I think it's for poseurs.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Beer is haram so as a good islamogauchiste who is afraid of hurting the feelings of the Muslims, I will not be drinking it at all or ever.

I'm several of these
Sorry mom, dad, Leon

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Why is 'Menshevik' ('Menchevik') a Trotskyist insult in France? Trotsky himself was an ex-Menshevik.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Wasn't trotsky basically an ex-literally-everything?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Why is 'Menshevik' ('Menchevik') a Trotskyist insult in France? Trotsky himself was an ex-Menshevik.

Going to take a wild guess and say it's that Mensheviks didn't have a problem with liberals and reformists, Bolsheviks very much did

obviously there's a whole load of poo poo to pick from but in the current climate it's hardly likely to be interpretations of materialism

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...o-a8084586.html

No no no no no loving NO

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

oui oUI OUI

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Enfin

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Glad I found this thread. I've been trying to understand this country's politics for a few years now and it's always been a hard nut to crack.

Talk about ambitious. Just because French used to be the language of diplomacy doesn't mean it's going to have a weird resurgence. How would one even go about re-instating a language at that sort of level?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Glad I found this thread. I've been trying to understand this country's politics for a few years now and it's always been a hard nut to crack.

Talk about ambitious. Just because French used to be the language of diplomacy doesn't mean it's going to have a weird resurgence. How would one even go about re-instating a language at that sort of level?

Step 1) re-become the greatest Empire you never weren't.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Increase prestige and international appeal, kick the Anglos now they're down. Imho we should do the latter regardless of language policy

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Speaking from first hand experience: even though you are not a native speaker of English yourself and they clearly have understood your attempt to speak the language of Molière and Racine, actual Frenchmen encountered in Paris will often respond with utterances in the Rosbif tongue with varying degrees of proficiency. Why they think someone who makes the effort to speak the local language in France would want to be answered in a third language I'm not sure, but it is disappointing. Perhaps the Frenchies would do better to make their language the default within their own borders first.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

Speaking from first hand experience: even though you are not a native speaker of English yourself and they clearly have understood your attempt to speak the language of Molière and Racine, actual Frenchmen encountered in Paris will often respond with utterances in the Rosbif tongue with varying degrees of proficiency. Why they think someone who makes the effort to speak the local language in France would want to be answered in a third language I'm not sure, but it is disappointing. Perhaps the Frenchies would do better to make their language the default within their own borders first.

That's pretty standard in the Netherlands as well (speak to someone in your not native Dutch regardless of proeficiency, and you will be replied to in English). I guess they just want an opportunity to practice their English.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Increase prestige and international appeal, kick the Anglos now they're down. Imho we should do the latter regardless of language policy

This. There's also crap like this:

https://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/

Maybe I'm being an entitled shithead but English is one of my best skills and I don't want the whole world to switch to a language (or god forbid several) that I will have to learn from scratch.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 3, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Alternatively we could choose to use an updated version of the English language with an English academy full of old men, just to gently caress with the English language.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AceOfFlames posted:

https://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/

Maybe I'm being a priviledge shithead but English is one of my best skills and I don't want the whole world to switch to a language (or god forbid several) that I will have to learn from scratch.

Wonder how the Irish would feel about that change.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

That's pretty standard in the Netherlands as well (speak to someone in your not native Dutch regardless of proeficiency, and you will be replied to in English). I guess they just want an opportunity to practice their English.

I've always assumed this to be the case. In French I have a primarily Spanish accent, and they would try to do this to me, but I'd just tell them that I didn't speak English forcing them to speak to me in French. I learned English far quicker that way.

Deltasquid posted:

It's been pretty satisfying to see the US's efforts at diplomacy continuously fail right now. Don't know what they thought would happen with an "America First" policy.

AceOfFlames posted:

Maybe I'm being a priviledge shithead but English is one of my best skills and I don't want the whole world to switch to a language (or god forbid several) that I will have to learn from scratch.

I'm sure Ireland and/or Malta will be allowed to legitimately keep it in. It would be interesting though if major communique start being posted first in French and/or German.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm sure Ireland and/or Malta will be allowed to legitimately keep it in. It would be interesting though if major communique start being posted first in French and/or German.
Talking about the EU? English is spoken as an additional language by more people than the next four EU-languages put together, and that's with the UK propping up French. Wouldn't make any sense to give primacy to languages not even a third of the EU speaks.

e: Actually, English should be promoted as the sole language of the EU precisely because it'll have very few native speakers but a lot of people who speak it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Talking about the EU? English is spoken as an additional language by more people than the next four EU-languages put together, and that's with the UK propping up French. Wouldn't make any sense to give primacy to languages not even a third of the EU speaks.

e: Actually, English should be promoted as the sole language of the EU precisely because it'll have very few native speakers but a lot of people who speak it.

no we should bring back latin imo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted:

Bring it back implies it was ever in.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

Ceterum autem censeo V. Illych L. delendam esse.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Historically, the preferred language for international diplomacy has usually been whatever the parties involved considered most prestigious. English might be eclipsed if the Anglosphere loses enough prestige and influence, but this seems unlikely to happen in the shorter term. In an EU without the UK, German is probably the best candidate for a common language, but you can't expect much support for the idea.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think it's pretty obvious that the future of the French language is in Africa anyway, not in France. Interestingly, the Organisation internationale de la Francophonie was not created by France. It was created in 1967 by Léopold Sédar Senghor (then president of newly independent Sénégal) with the support of his fellow newly-independent presidents of Cambodia, Lebanon, Niger, and Tunisia.

Despite the clichés, France has never cared much about Francophonie, embracing the use of English without much second thought. African countries and Québec care about it a whole lot more. Sarkozy wanted English to be taught in kindergarten, claiming that it couldn't be considered a foreign language anymore. If Macron is actually sincere (something I'm not sure he is capable of being) it would be a radical change.

I'm greatly enjoying the irony in this:

quote:

However, an EU source explained that the regulations governing official languages are themselves subject to more than one translation. The 1958 regulation regarding the official languages of the EU, which was originally written in French, does not say clearly whether a member country — Ireland or Malta for instance — can have more than one official language, an EU source said. Interpretations of the French wording tend to conclude that this might be possible, whereas the English version appears to rule this out.
It's the English version of the regulation that would kick the English language out. This is beautiful.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What’s up fellow members of the francophone master race?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

julian assflange posted:

What’s up* fellow members of the francophone master race?

*Quoi de neuf

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

*Quoi de neuf

Où le bœuf?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is that some sort of "À plus, dans le bus"?

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Maybe I'm being an entitled shithead but English is one of my best skills and I don't want the whole world to switch to a language (or god forbid several) that I will have to learn from scratch.

I find it a bit weird that "only one official language per country" has not been tested yet. It seems especially relevant for a country like Belgium. Did they pick Flemish or French? Seems like either choice should piss off half their population.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

quote:

The 1958 regulation regarding the official languages of the EU, which was originally written in French, does not say clearly whether a member country — Ireland or Malta for instance — can have more than one official language

I think we know in our hearts what the intention was.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dommolus Magnus posted:

I find it a bit weird that "only one official language per country" has not been tested yet. It seems especially relevant for a country like Belgium. Did they pick Flemish or French? Seems like either choice should piss off half their population.

I haven't found anywhere a list of which country "sponsored" which language. So there you find articles telling you that neither Ireland nor Malta designated English as their official EU language; but on every EU document for English they mention Ireland and Malta as countries where it's an official language.

Perhaps Belgium did not designate any official language since French was covered by France, Flemish by the Netherlands, and German by Germany.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Eagerly awaiting the EU being stuck in an infinite loop of the english translation removing English as an EU language, at which point they base it only on the french translation which restores it, which means the english translation removes it, which means the french translation restores it, which means...

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
None of the first 6 EU countries have English as a commonly spoken language, but 3 have French, was English used at all in the 50s?

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

I haven't found anywhere a list of which country "sponsored" which language. So there you find articles telling you that neither Ireland nor Malta designated English as their official EU language; but on every EU document for English they mention Ireland and Malta as countries where it's an official language.

Perhaps Belgium did not designate any official language since French was covered by France, Flemish by the Netherlands, and German by Germany.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if Flemish and Dutch are considered the same language, but Wikipedia at least lists Dutch among Belgiums official languages, so :shrug:.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Man, as soon as the UK effectively leaves the EU we gotta make our move before the Germans do and make French the only working language of the EU. It's a first step towards global domination.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

En fait en hommage à l'idée visionnaire de notre cher Président, nous devrions déjà commencer à ne parler que français dans ce fil.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That's a good reason to stick with English if I ever saw one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This strikes me as everyone reflexively keeping the status quo to spite the French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
M'en vas parler en Québécois, 'barnak.