Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MiddleOne posted:

Audience receptions and sales do not have a causal relationship. I mean I paid to see the movie in cinema but that doesn't mean I or any of my friends who tagged along liked it. Also, we have the internet these days so you don't have to rely on my anecdotes. If we look up any kind of aggregate site what you can see is that critics rated Suicide Squad on the turd side of things while audiences put it around slightly above 60% (slightly different per site) which in internet user movie ratings is the equivalent of 'this movie sure was a movie'.

Suicide Squad while a disappointing at best movie is a great example of how you can sell anything in the short-term if you slush enough beloved brands, marketing and funds into a blender, the slumping sales of Justice League arguably being the long-term consequences of this strategy.

Self-selecting review sites aren’t a useful aggregator of general audience opinion and even if they were poor reviews don’t mean that audiences found the film dull and confusing due to poor editing. Movies can be bad in a myriad of ways. Also, if you take it at face value a 60% positive rating would seem to indicate that audiences did not find it overwhelmingly dull and confusing, unless you don’t understand numbers or percentages or words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Self-selecting review sites aren’t a useful aggregator of general audience opinion and even if they were poor reviews don’t mean that audiences found the film dull and confusing due to poor editing. Movies can be bad in a myriad of ways. Also, if you take it at face value a 60% positive rating would seem to indicate that audiences did not find it overwhelmingly dull and confusing, unless you don’t understand numbers or percentages or words.

Is this literally the first time you've seen an user review score on a website? Are you a time-traveler sent from the past to kill us all? :raise:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

MiddleOne posted:

Is this literally the first time you've seen an user review score on a website? Are you a time-traveler sent from the past to kill us all? :raise:

https://politics.theonion.com/time-traveler-from-the-year-1998-warns-nation-not-to-el-1819573232

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The biggest difficulty in gauging general audience reception is that current film industry goals are (perhaps intentionally) skewed in the worst way to figure that out. Your best bet for general audience reception in most mediums can be found through lasting appeal; rewatches, home copy sales, continued word of mouth, expanded material sales etc., whereas right now they're largely focused on hype-based first-week figures, which you can only really use to gauge advertising effectiveness/brand appeal/franchise enthusiasm.

IMO, from what we've generally seen:

1) BvS theatrical was very negatively received, considering its' titanic drop in sales in the second week

2) DVD/Blu-ray sales of BvS suggest a cult following of a cut with clearer editing

3) People in general liked Harley Quinn in SS, even if they didnt like SS (continued endurance of HQ-based tie-ins even as the movies' dies out)

4) Justice League is suffering from diminishing franchise enthusiasm/trust (evident from tepid first-week sales) and audiences weren't impressed enough to try to change that (BO sales continuing to dive afterwards).

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 3, 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MiddleOne posted:

There’s either two possibilities here:

1. The rotten tomatoes reviews are representative of overall audience opinion in which case 60% of people who saw the movie had an overall positive impression, and thus probably would not call it dull and confusing based on poor editing.

2. The numbers are meaningless so why would you reference them?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MiddleOne posted:

Audience receptions and sales do not have a causal relationship.
I'd say that the sales for the opening weekend would be more of a reflection of the studio's promotional campaign and PR fallouts, but once you get past that point then the word of mouth (ie: audience reception) becomes a much bigger factor than anything else.

MiddleOne posted:

Suicide Squad while a disappointing at best movie is a great example of how you can sell anything in the short-term if you slush enough beloved brands, marketing and funds into a blender, the slumping sales of Justice League arguably being the long-term consequences of this strategy.
Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman had much better legs than any of the other DCEU offerings. The audiences for MoS, BvS and JL fell off really severealy after the first few weeks but SS nearly caught up to BvS after a much slower start and WW powered right past everything else after an even slower start:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah you could tell from day 1 that it was in deep trouble:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/c...e-League-(2017)
There was a chance it might have eventually caught up to MoS if it had the same kind of momentum as Wonder Woman but its numbers are dropping off even faster than MoS and BvS. It's got the worst legs out of all the DCEU films, that gap just keeps getting wider and wider. After the 3rd weekend since release its domestic box office is $51m behind where MoS was at on its 3rd weekend and $100m behind BvS.

If it was just a matter of establishing a brand and then serving up what the audiences expected each time then WW should have got them back into the audience's good books and had a positive follow on effect on Justice League's sales but that doesn't seem to be the case.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

Regarding the whole "if you want to see his monument, look around you" quote is referring to Christopher Wren. A goon wrote this about him a while ago:

So you know, that's neat.

If I had any skill at all I'd edit it into Look Around You's intro.

Thanks Superman. Thuperman.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Many people have pointed it out, including myself.

If you feel like you've done a good post on the editing in the past, I don't think anybody would mind if you just quote it rather than go through the work of writing a new one. But it doesn't really add to the discussion to, as I've seen people do many times, claim that the work of actually talking about the movie happened in the nebulous past and must simply be accepted by those of us in the present without any chance to read and respond.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s either two possibilities here:

1. The rotten tomatoes reviews are representative of overall audience opinion in which case 60% of people who saw the movie had an overall positive impression, and thus probably would not call it dull and confusing based on poor editing.

I'll give you a hint. For as long as there have been internet review sites, counter-intuitive as it may seem, on a 10 point scale internet users on average don't actually see 5 as the middle point. If you don't get what that implies then I don't think we're getting any further on this.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

2. The numbers are meaningless so why would you reference them?

They're only useless when viewed in isolation, they are very meaningful when put in context to the ratings of other movies with similar target audiences. That's what I was referring to when I earlier stated that "which in internet user movie ratings is the equivalent of 'this movie sure was a movie'".

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

I'll give you a hint. For as long as there have been internet review sites, counter-intuitive as it may seem, on a 10 point scale internet users on average don't actually see 5 as the middle point. If you don't get what that implies then I don't think we're getting any further on this.

This is indicative of the fact that most audience think most movies are at least okay because most major studios movies ARE at least okay. They’re usually competently made relative to what a truly bad movie would be. There’s a big difference between “suicide squad was dull and confusing” and “suicide squad wasn’t as good as a bunch of other movies released recently.”

Of course, taking those numbers at face value at all is loving stupid for a number of reasons.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

Jim Emerson's Dark Knight editing video was a goddamn embarrassment when he posted it, and Joseph Kahn literally had to explain very carefully that at no point did Nolan do anything that confused the audience, and the choices made don't break the "rules" of film editing, which one has to note are actually only suggestions.

http://josephkahn.blogspot.com/2011/09/analyzing-action.html?m=1

Right, even though I like that video, it's at best CinemaSins stuff. The scene is only oddly edited if you're looking for specific rules that are being "broken".

BiggerBoat posted:

Many people have pointed it out, including myself. Even most of the film's defenders acknowledge that the editing was rather disjointed, jarring, needed some work and generally concede that it was one of the movie's weaknesses.

The overall message that always comes away from this type of thing is that the choices made were jarring, grim, obvious, disturbing, "out of character", etc. The editing "makes no sense", inevitably, because the spectator wouldn't have done it that way. Opinions about tone with a veneer of technical objectivity. Failing that, "I didn't like it, and most people agree with me." To which the obvious rebuttal is "so what?"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Suicide squads editing is bad because the main scene, waller at the table with her goons, is made redundant by the rest of the movie. They spend an agonizing amount of time talking about the group, what they can each do, and then each character in the movie gets their own moment to restate the same thing. On top of this, you have a villain origin story just dropped in, which is again neutered by the terrible ending where a guy with a gun shoots a magical being with a regular bullet fueled by the power of forced friendship. Harley's story is butchered, leaving her looking uncaring as she leaves her team to certain doom, only for fire guy to claim her as family. It's not a movie, it's a really expensive YouTube fan film.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 4, 2017

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Suicide Squad editing is bad because there’s never any consistent sense of where people are and what direction they are moving relative to other characters and locations. Most of “good editing” isn’t a set of technical rules but the nuts and bolts of moving people around in the frame in such a way that makes sense from a spatial and narrative perspective.

All of the companies trying to follow the MCU are failing because they are overtly creating cinematic universes and not concentrating on making good standalone films. This is the root of studio interference. Justice League cost everyone their Christmas bonuses this year. Maybe they’ll learn.

Personally as a fan I think they started way too late in both Batman and Superman’s respective timelines. I would have liked to see Batman and Wonder Woman get their own movies then meet up in Trinity or something, rather than rushing into Justice League.

bad day fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 4, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't recall having that issue with Suicide Squad, and I had plenty of issues with Suicide Squad.

bad day posted:

Personally as a fan I think they started way too late in both Batman and Superman’s respective timelines.

Man of Steel starts with Kal as a baby on Krypton, and the main story is about Clark becoming Superman. How do you go earlier?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
He deals with Zod in the first movie. Doomsday in the second.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was going to deal with Zod in the first movie in the original Donner film until the studio decided to split it into two films. I can't really think of any reason you should save him. He's not like the big bad of Superman mythology.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

bad day posted:

He deals with Zod in the first movie. Doomsday in the second.

I don't understand how this makes it late in his timeline.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, Doomsday was SUPER early for Post Crisis Superman. People forget that, but Post Crisis Superman started in late 1986 and Doomsday showed up in 1992.

He was not around that long before getting murked.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this looks like a scene from an Arrested Development-esque sitcom about Superman.

it's my favorite gif

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Burkion posted:

Hell, Doomsday was SUPER early for Post Crisis Superman. People forget that, but Post Crisis Superman started in late 1986 and Doomsday showed up in 1992.

He was not around that long before getting murked.
This is a misrepresentation of how Post-Crisis DC worked. While Man of Steel came out in the 80s which was a retelling Superman's origins, the Post-Crisis comics weren't a totally fresh start. They still worked with the assumption that the heroes had been around for awhile, just with altered backstories. When you read stuff like the Death of Superman or his marriage to Lois shortly after, you're meant to assume the character has been around for awhile.

The death of Superman functions very differently in BvS than it does in the comics. It's not just that Doomsday kills Superman in BvS. Lex Luthor basically successfully kills Superman in the first try. That alone makes these radically different worlds. The death of Superman in the comics is a subversion and unexpected thing as much as its just cheap soap opera antics at its core. In BvS, it creates a world where Lex Luthor kills Superman the first time they fight. To be fair, Lex doesn't really win. Lex's plan is to either prove that Superman isn't all good or isn't all bad, and Superman proves him wrong through the greater power within sacrifice that Lex can never understand, but that's neither here nor there.

I get why it's kind of weird to look at this Superman as a dude who shat around for his twenties, was Superman for a year, and then was murdered by Lex Luthor the first time they met.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It makes sense in the story Snyder's trying to tell and it creates depth in what Superman means and his acceptance through sacrifice in his world towards working a Justice League launch. It was a good way to do it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't recall having that issue with Suicide Squad, and I had plenty of issues with Suicide Squad.

Man of Steel starts with Kal as a baby on Krypton, and the main story is about Clark becoming Superman. How do you go earlier?

WB must have had the same thoughts though because they're doing that Krypton series about Jor-El's dad.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is it okay if I think Suicide Squad does suffer from bad editing but I also think FoldingIdeas is garbage-tier YouTube?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

WB must have had the same thoughts though because they're doing that Krypton series about Jor-El's dad.

if it's even half as crazy as gotham i'll be all over it

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Is it okay if I think Suicide Squad does suffer from bad editing but I also think FoldingIdeas is garbage-tier YouTube?

Most YouTubers who speak with authority about film usually have no clue what they're talking about.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Dan Olson is actually a member of these forums and while it's fine to disagree with his points, I think some of you are being unnecessarily aggressive about this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey Dan Olson go gently caress a lemon.

That is the expression, yes?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Squad's editing is a direct consequence of a directionless franchise plan that tried to fast-track projects with the conflicting goals of both catching up to Marvel's CU and delivering a boutique Auteur product a la The Dark Knight. They hired "dark auteur" David Ayer to write + direct and then gave him a timetable better suited to a "crank it out and get it done" for-hire director. With six weeks to write, zero weeks to workshop, a hard release date, and a studio mandate to have a "big" villain, the end result was an almost four hour grind of character introductions (my sources in the studio have confirmed that getting everyone into Belle Reve took almost two hours in the cut that was screened before WB started freaking out), a thin plot, and a fight against an enemy that the protagonists had no business confronting.

WB more or less set Ayer up to fail, and then made it all the worse by heavily meddling in the process of getting the edit under control. The final film was pretty much doomed to some deep structural flaws simply by the nature of its creation, but the panicked tampering basically ensured that the final film would be so confusing that even people who really liked it would still have trouble putting scenes back in order, would miss out on the death of a key character, and would have trouble deciphering the actual plot of the movie.

Still, as a train wreck it's grown on me and I hope that someday I'll get to see the four hour pre-Trailer Park workprint.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

would miss out on the death of a key character

What's this?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

FoldableHuman posted:

Squad's editing is a direct consequence of a directionless franchise plan that tried to fast-track projects with the conflicting goals of both catching up to Marvel's CU and delivering a boutique Auteur product a la The Dark Knight. They hired "dark auteur" David Ayer to write + direct and then gave him a timetable better suited to a "crank it out and get it done" for-hire director. With six weeks to write, zero weeks to workshop, a hard release date, and a studio mandate to have a "big" villain, the end result was an almost four hour grind of character introductions (my sources in the studio have confirmed that getting everyone into Belle Reve took almost two hours in the cut that was screened before WB started freaking out), a thin plot, and a fight against an enemy that the protagonists had no business confronting.

WB more or less set Ayer up to fail, and then made it all the worse by heavily meddling in the process of getting the edit under control. The final film was pretty much doomed to some deep structural flaws simply by the nature of its creation, but the panicked tampering basically ensured that the final film would be so confusing that even people who really liked it would still have trouble putting scenes back in order, would miss out on the death of a key character, and would have trouble deciphering the actual plot of the movie.

Still, as a train wreck it's grown on me and I hope that someday I'll get to see the four hour pre-Trailer Park workprint.

[noticing that it's the guy we've been talking about] That's the guy that we've been talking about, take him down

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sir Kodiak posted:

What's this?

Slipknot was like a father to me.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

wyoming posted:

Slipknot was like a father to me.

Yeah, of course, I cried like a baby when he died, but we did see it happen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still can't believe they didn't have at least one moment that Slipknot could have solved after he died.

Or that there apparently aren't any Steppenwolf songs in Justice League.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

should've been a nice slow, doleful choral cover of magic carpet ride at some point at least

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The biggest editing issue I had with SS was a scene that seems to have been filmed as a setup for a plot twist only it's not? I don't even know if this is an editing issue or just shifting the story around and they kinda just left it as is; but when the Enchantress ditches the military team it's setup as if there's going to be a follow up to it later on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like that Boomerang leaves the team with an "I don't need this" speech and you would expect him to come back at a dramatic moment or something, but then they slo-mo walk outside a minute later and he just saunters up and they all give him a knowing nod.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Watched this again, and while I agree with some of the suicide squad appraisal, any time someone starts metasplaining BvS about things like " awful plot construction" it's hard for me to take them seriously. The plot is pretty much straight forward, yet these folks talk about rigid Degrassi style editing "rules" like that's the only way to make a movie.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I like that Boomerang leaves the team with an "I don't need this" speech and you would expect him to come back at a dramatic moment or something, but then they slo-mo walk outside a minute later and he just saunters up and they all give him a knowing nod.

They cut a shot where Boomerang has second thoughts and turns around, because no matter how you cut it Boomerang just leaves and comes back a minute later.

I'm also enjoying this little round of "key character dies? Slipknot?" but no, not Slipknot.

However, speaking of Slipknot, I'm not sad they cut down his part, his dialogue was apparently atrocious, but what a waste of Adam Beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

The 21st Century Fox sales talks have resumed, with both the Walt Disney Company and Comcast Corps re-engaged in active discussions, according to The Wall Street Journal. Rupert Murdoch and his family own 39% of Fox's voting shares, and are said to be pushing for a deal by the end of this year.

21st Century Fox is reportedly aiming to focus on its news and sports division, and sell off outside assets including its movie and tv studios, and its stake in various networks such as Fox, FX, Sky, and Star TV. That would also include the film rights for Marvel Entertainment's Fantastic Four and X-Men, some distribution rights to the earlier Star Wars films, ,partial ownership of BOOM! Studios, and a stake in Hulu (Disney and Comcast each own stakes already)..

The talks of a Fox sale begin in November when Disney reportedly reached out to Fox to open negotiations. According to Variety, those initial talks broke down over "price and other terms." Although that alleged price is unknown, the Hollywood trade quotes industry analyst Michael Nathanson with a $48.5 billion evaulation for the assets reportedly for sale - with $15b of that being the film and TV production operation and library.

In addition to Disney and Comcast, both Sony and Verizon Communications have been previously named as potential suitors.

https://www.newsarama.com/37600-fox-sale-picking-up-steam-with-disney-comcast-top-suitors-report.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-re-engages-in-talks-to-buy-21st-century-fox-assets-1512239431

• Locked thread