Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

anime was right posted:

im not strongly in favor of 1 button or 2 button throw if there's a good reason behind it (instant throws are better on a single button, for example, and startup throws are better on 2 buttons) but its the dumbest hill to die on for either side

so youre saying one button throws have better priority?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
Doesn't "shimmy" only work because of the option to throw-tech? So doesn't this add a layer to pressure? More guesses means more interplay, at least when we're not talking about OS.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SleepySonata posted:

Doesn't "shimmy" only work because of the option to throw-tech? So doesn't this add a layer to pressure? More guesses means more interplay, at least when we're not talking about OS.

You can still shimmy in games without throw teching, you just blow up a normal meant to interrupt your throw instead

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

anime was right posted:

all of things are "tend" because they're deliberate choices by the developer.. the only thing that two button throws are bad for is startup and that honestly depends on the style of game ur making.

non-2 button throws are also inherently an option select and you also cannot get close versions of throw buttons on demand which lowers ur available gameplay options

yea thats why i put tend in there, but its a commonality among most 2-button throw games and 2 button throws are stupid. you can totally get close versions of throw buttons on demand, just dont hold left or right or have the opponent be in a throwable state. eh and its rare to see big punish combos in a game like kof, which tend to start with close c (which you also throw with), accidentally end up with grabs and thats probably the most common example

the close version of your 6c/4c normal in a game where c is throw is just, well its your throw

also like in blazblue i hate the mixup with barrier+throw and throw reject miss its so loving stupid this game is so bad

SleepySonata posted:

shimmy was a thing before gootecks made it a meme, in games without low tech, but it became a meme because people were mashing the poo poo out of low tech since its a strong option select

edit: also i dont really care that much about 2 button throws, they just tend to be present in games that suck. those thing i posted were just the poo poo people say about 2 button throws. learning about 2 button throws in a games development cycle can be like a canary in a coalmine tho, but how they pan out really depends on all the weird hacked together poo poo the dev has to do to fix all the "problems" with 2-button throws while maintaining "accessibility" that allows for input slop

Zand fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 3, 2017

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

blazblue is extremely good and cf 1.01 is probably better then xrd

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

RevolverDivider posted:

eh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

xrd matches are the perfect length bb goes too long for me. visually and in terms of music theres no contest. Bb still cool though

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

RevolverDivider posted:

better in balance? or better in being a fun game, to play?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Balance is bad

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
its not bad. but its often overrated.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intentional balance then. If it happens by accident making the most fun crazy game possible then ok

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

HnK has both 1 and 2 button throws so it is obviously the best

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Flinger posted:

HnK has both 1 and 2 button throws so it is obviously the best

iirc the 2 button variety are just unblockable mid hitting moves that are beat by crouching and have huge amounts of startup

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zand posted:

iirc the 2 button variety are just unblockable mid hitting moves that are beat by crouching and have huge amounts of startup

in tekken that's called a throw

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
By being bad and pressing buttons constantly I tech half the throws I get hit with in Tekken completely unintentionally.

E:un*

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 4, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CRISPYBABY posted:

By being bad and pressing buttons constantly I tech half the throws I get hit with in Tekken completely intentionally.

Yup

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Jack Trades posted:

Even in like ST, if I remember right, there was a Vega combo that would result in a throw and you doing less damage if you were a little bit too close when doing it.

There are no combos in ST that end with a throw what the gently caress are you smoking

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Pomp posted:

what loving combos are you starting with close range 6h

i'm here to play jam as stupidly as possible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Slayer has normals besides 6hs?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
"games with two-button throws are bad"

i heard someone talkin' poo poo about melty and this will. not stand.

There's gonna be an elusive Local this Saturday and I'm probably gonna skip it because of personal responsabilities. That sucks.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Real hurthling! posted:

Slayer has normals besides 6hs?

Not in Fantasy Strike he doesn't

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
if you just macro the throw buttons to a single button on a pad then it becomes a 1 button throw game

thinking_man.png

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mysterious loyall X posted:

i'm here to play jam as stupidly as possible

Slide into throw is fun as hell though.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Zand posted:

edit: also i dont really care that much about 2 button throws, they just tend to be present in games that suck.

I enjoy reading diehard genre fans get all analytical on poo poo, and this comment has me curious what your criticisms for Tekken 7 are.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

brainSnakes posted:

I enjoy reading diehard genre fans get all analytical on poo poo, and this comment has me curious what your criticisms for Tekken 7 are.

not enough costume pieces

really i dont know poo poo about tekken i just know what other diehard people said which is that movement is pretty nerfed since the old games. but tbh everyone plays and loves tekken and its fun enough to me

Zand fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 4, 2017

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
Haven't played a game as mash friendly as tekken since.... VF?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

SleepySonata posted:

Haven't played a game as mash friendly as tekken since.... VF?

I think the 3d subgenre is just more mash friendly than most 2d games are.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
Dunno Laura is p-much mash heavy punch/med kick and jump a lot.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I remember the days of VOLDO GET OFF THE GROUND WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU LAYING DOWN YOU PIECE OF poo poo as I run my controller across my face.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
String based fighters are always super mash friendly and fan favourites for kids/casuals who just press buttons. I know it invented the genre but I've always been kinda amazed at the enduring casual popularity of SF while mashing in it gets you nowhere. Well, I mean mashing gets you nowhere in any game, but in Tekken/Soul Caliber/MK/Injustice it makes some cool looking moves come out at least. In SF it mostly makes you stand in place while awkwardly throwing out punches.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

SleepySonata posted:

Dunno Laura is p-much mash heavy punch/med kick and jump a lot.

I guess I meant getting longer combo strings and visually flashy sequences is easier when button mashing in a 3d game. Mashing with Laura is definitely effective as far as winning the match goes, but it doesn't make the person playing the game think, "Wow, I did a cool looking thing without even knowing what I'm doing" in the way that mashing with Claudio and Katarina do.

Although, what looks cool/feels cool to do is entirely subjective.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Do people that don't play fighters impressed when a masher accidentally does something cool? I always just assumed they just sorta zone out at parties etc

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CRISPYBABY posted:

String based fighters are always super mash friendly and fan favourites for kids/casuals who just press buttons. I know it invented the genre but I've always been kinda amazed at the enduring casual popularity of SF while mashing in it gets you nowhere. Well, I mean mashing gets you nowhere in any game, but in Tekken/Soul Caliber/MK/Injustice it makes some cool looking moves come out at least. In SF it mostly makes you stand in place while awkwardly throwing out punches.

Grandfather Rule and a bit of nostalgia - not that SF2 wasn't a good game, but people tend to be overly attached to IPs that were around when they were young. The funny thing is that no one really wants to play SF2 for that long when someone pulls it out at a party (and it's always the SNES version too), because it really isn't that rewarding to just mash around in. Same thing with MK2, my friends should stop subjecting me to MK2 that game aged baaaaaaaad.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CRISPYBABY posted:

I hated 2d fighters growing up because they didn't have "combos"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Agoat posted:

Do people that don't play fighters impressed when a masher accidentally does something cool? I always just assumed they just sorta zone out at parties etc

People churning butter and mashing while they play are lucky to get a special in SF and mostly sit there whiffing normals. In Tekken or Soul Calibur have a chance to get like a 3 hit combo with cool hitsparks and knock the person down or in the air, and that's much more rewarding for the player.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Pomp posted:

I hated 2d fighters growing up because they didn't have "combos"

Same. What's a link????????

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I like Guilty Gear because I don't have to time most of my moves I can just poo poo that stuff out as fast as possible and it usually works

the further I stray from gatling combos the worse I get

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crocoswine posted:

I like Guilty Gear because I don't have to time most of my moves I can just poo poo that stuff out as fast as possible and it usually works

the further I stray from gatling combos the worse I get

I like to see the move i pushed happen before i push other buttons so i play the link characters in xrd

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
KOF upsets me because I actually have to time my jump-ins and low confirms and generally be competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

RevolverDivider posted:

Nope