Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Well, he does still have One Punch Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

That's his hobby, not his job. He probably has some ideas for a new manga to pay his bills once he concludes MP100

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He'll start working on HXH.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

a cartoon duck posted:

That's his hobby, not his job. He probably has some ideas for a new manga to pay his bills once he concludes MP100

I thought he made good money off OPM?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

skaianDestiny posted:

If MP100's really ending, I wonder what new long-form project ONE will work on next.

Hopefully, finishing One Punch Man. But yeah, whatever he does next, I'm on board and will be reading it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

CharlestonJew posted:

I thought he made good money off OPM?

Seems like that hasn't stopped manga artists from overworking themselves in the past. Like, Oda has to have been megarich from One Piece even a decade ago, but he still has an insane schedule

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm okay with ONE taking over hxh as long as he kills togashi in mortal combat first.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stairmaster posted:

I'm okay with ONE taking over hxh as long as he kills togashi in mortal combat first.

Most manga artists are so unhealthy they can be killed by a stiff breeze.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mordaedil posted:

Reigen taught Mob valuable life lessons that will determine how he becomes an adult, while Mob taught Reigen about the supernatural

Ha ha ha, ah, no. Reigan was predatory loser with no friends before Mob showed up, Mob showed Reigan how to become an adult.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Mulva posted:

Ha ha ha, ah, no. Reigan was predatory loser with no friends before Mob showed up, Mob showed Reigan how to become an adult.
No way, Reigan is a handsome and intelligent man who can do no wrong. Also, those rumors about him being a sham are completely baseless.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

He didn't have any friends, but he wasn't particularly predatory. Even before Mob showed up, he gave people what they needed, as long as, you know, it didn't involve actual ghosts (which it never had).

People thought spirits were making their photos ugly, he got good with photoshop. Someone had back ache, he was an excellent masseuse. Reigen actually did a good job. He was also bored to tears, like with every other job he'd ever had.

Reigen could function fine, but Mob gave him a job he actually could stick with.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

scammer or not, Reigen really goes the extra mile to help people with their actual problems.

It's when he literally can't help them that he needs to rely on someone who can

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

What a wonderful chapter that was. There can't be many updates left until it's over, but I'll definitely be in on ONE's next project from the start.

Also, Reigen was always clearly good and that shouldn't even be up for debate.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

chiasaur11 posted:

He didn't have any friends, but he wasn't particularly predatory.

The only people he hung out with were a group hucksters and con men who considered him their hero. He wasn't a great guy. Or a good guy. Or a sketchy but well meaning guy. "Yeah he made people feel better". So do those fake psychics that tell grieving old rich people they can contact their loved ones for all their money. They make those people feel better, as they are stealing all their money. That's the type of person he was. You mostly see the Reigan who got better in the series, and that's because of Mob. You only get bits and pieces of the old bastard Reigan here and there.

quote:

Reigen could function fine, but Mob gave him a job he actually could stick with.

Sure he could function, he just couldn't live.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reigen is an extremely good dude, memeing about him being best boy of all time aside.

In his own words, he "took advantage" but we know he's a well meaning person, conscientious and caring. His taking advantage of Shigeo gave him a place to be, confidence, an outlet for him powers and frustrations, at times at least, and ultimately friendship. He does right by people even if he doesn't do it especially cleanly and when it came to him risking his life to help Mob when he needed it most, he did it without second thought. He's genuinely the kind of person you'd love to have as a friend because he'd always do right by you, even if sometimes, you wouldn't necessarily agree that they are doing right by you.

Painting him as some piece of poo poo that Mob cleaned up is some FFTA level alternate interpretation.

And he's the world's most powerful psychic.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 3, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Painting him as some piece of poo poo that Mob cleaned up is some FFTA level alternate interpretation.

You keep mentioning all the good things about him that only take place after he met Mob. You need to go back to their break up arc. The guy who goes into his regular bar filled with people "Susceptible to MLM or fake religions" and calls it "A gold mine". How they broke up in the first place, for that matter. Reigan pre-Mob was like 80-20 a sleaze with actual humanity underneath. It's only through dealing with Mob that that ratio starts to change. He is a well meaning person. He wasn't always.

That's what makes him a cool character. That he's not just some generic trickster, but was legitimately a confidence man who felt incredibly empty and had no real place in the world. Pretending to be a better person to impress Mob slowly turned into becoming a better person. That's important to what just happened, because his last message to Mob about how everyone has two sides is earned. Denying the part of him that is terrible denies what it cost him to open up to Mob in the end. It's be like saying Dimple was just a harmless mascot character, you white wash a character's flaws too much and you rob them of their achievements. It also takes away from Mob's achievement in helping them to be better people.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's no reason to believe that the things he's doing he wasn't doing before he met Mob. The breakup arc is an arc where neither character is acting like themselves and are both in a low place, neither are operating on their usual level.

You seem to be assuming that "does things dishonestly = bad person". He's scamming people, but he's still helping fix their problems. Sometimes, the means justify the ends. He helps people who believe their problems are supernatural by telling them he's solved them supernaturally despite not doing so because that's the best way to actually help those people. Not everything good is done clean, not everything done dirtily is bad. He's cool because he's skeevy but not a bad dude in the least.

His name ends in gen too, not gan.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

There's no reason to believe that the things he's doing he wasn't doing before he met Mob. The breakup arc is an arc where neither character is acting like themselves and are both in a low place, neither are operating on their usual level.

You seem to be assuming that "does things dishonestly = bad person". He's scamming people, but he's still helping fix their problems. Sometimes, the means justify the ends. He helps people who believe their problems are supernatural by telling them he's solved them supernaturally despite not doing so because that's the best way to actually help those people. Not everything good is done clean, not everything done dirtily is bad. He's cool because he's skeevy but not a bad dude in the least.

Yeah this is how I see it. Most of his clients don't have any supernatural problems whatsoever, they just want someone to listen to their problems and tell them what they want to hear. Reigen's scamming these people in a sense, but he's also legitimately helping them in the end, since he always makes sure they leave happy. If he told them the truth, they'd most likely go to another "psychic" that might not be so kind

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Man I wish you guys made the laws, there would be so many less felonies and I would make so much more money.

Conversely where do you marks live, I've always wanted a Basler BT-67.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i think i'm starting to see how you got that av/text

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
ONEs writing is so strong he made a sleazy con man one of the most likable characters in fiction

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

i think i'm starting to see how you got that av/text

You seem warm in that glass house, why would you throw all those rocks at it?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm astonished people are arguing that the man who misrepresents himself for financial gain is perhaps not fully on the up-and-up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Gosh, it's almost like you don't get why Reigen is popular and are lashing out because you really hate liars or con artists.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mulva posted:

You seem warm in that glass house, why would you throw all those rocks at it?

'cus I like mine and it's not insulting.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Gosh, it's almost like you don't get why Reigen is popular and are lashing out because you really hate liars or con artists.

Nah, I love his character, I just dislike basic bitches who are incapable of acknowledging the fictional character they like has flaws.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thinking he's a good person despite him being shady as gently caress =/= thinking he's flawless

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If only Reigen had been on the Death Star...

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ok but you're leaving out the part where he then charges those people 10-100 times what would be a reasonable price for the service he provided.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Nah, I love his character, I just dislike basic bitches who are incapable of acknowledging the fictional character they like has flaws.

Uh, but everyone here is aware of his flaws. The only thing I see is people celebrating his flaws as real flaws rather than superficial flaws often seen in characters.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

Ok but you're leaving out the part where he then charges those people 10-100 times what would be a reasonable price for the service he provided.

mans gotta get paid

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ZiegeDame posted:

Huh? The scene where he discusses prices with other psychics, his prices are lower than theirs by a lot?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Huh? The scene where he discusses prices with other psychics, his prices are lower than theirs by a lot?

He also didn't sell expensive charms or oils like they did.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tbf the entire point of the anime ED is about what a good influence mob is on reigen.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Mordaedil posted:

He still charges something like several grand for a massage. "Other people are worse" isn't really a good defense in any situation.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ZiegeDame posted:

He still charges something like several grand for a massage. "Other people are worse" isn't really a good defense in any situation.
I don't think thousands of Yen is considered too much. Like Mob gets three hundred Yen a day and it's made clear he's being ripped off. I'd kill for a job that netted me three hundred bucks every day.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I don't think thousands of Yen is considered too much. Like Mob gets three hundred Yen a day and it's made clear he's being ripped off. I'd kill for a job that netted me three hundred bucks every day.

300 yen is like $3

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

A yen is like a penny, not a dollar

Reigen is not perfect, only the greatest of all time

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Reigen's biggest crime was underpaying Mob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Mordaedil posted:

Mulva has no less than 5 posts on Facebook complaining about fake friends.