Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I am pretty glad 17 and 18 are finally starting to do more. They had no excuse doing as little as they did before last week, what with the literal infinite energy and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

What the years have made strange for them all...

Maybe Goku was the drug all along.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Burkion posted:

Their ki may be actually artificial. Ki is a natural energy so the energy they produce MIGHT NOT BE KI??????????

The issue with this is that they were able to contribute to the Spirit Bomb, so really who the gently caress knows

the actual in universe explanation is that you're not giving your fighting energy when you supply a spirit bomb but your life energy. which is why goku needed the entire earths energy to defeat majin buu

of course super completely contradicts this

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

apart from the parts that are not robot, they are robots who run on electricity and you can't ask a calculator to not make you want to go to bed

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Couldn't the androids with their infinite energy give Goku some of that power like Freeza did?

Old Kai outright said Goku is intentionally fighting while at his breaking point to try to trigger Ultra Instinct, getting more energy kinda defeats the point of that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Do they even know how to transfer ki to somebody else? They aren't martial artists as such; would they be able to without training if they weren't built with the capacity?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Do they even know how to transfer ki to somebody else? They aren't martial artists as such; would they be able to without training if they weren't built with the capacity?
Frieza isn't a martial artist either, but he can do it. And you know that's something he's never done in the past.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Frieza isn't a martial artist either, but he can do it. And you know that's something he's never done in the past.

I mean he experienced it first hand when Goku did it to him. Freiza is as naturally talented as it gets so I wouldn't put it past him to know it from that brief experience. It's basically how Cell learned Instant Transmission, too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Frieza mastered ki control while in Hell and as mentioned Goku did it to him.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Old Kai outright said Goku is intentionally fighting while at his breaking point to try to trigger Ultra Instinct, getting more energy kinda defeats the point of that.

Oh god, what if Goku becomes unable to hit Ultra Instinct because of zenkai boosts.

Saiyan BS template is not compatible with new system updates, please fix.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Stairmaster posted:

the actual in universe explanation is that you're not giving your fighting energy when you supply a spirit bomb but your life energy. which is why goku needed the entire earths energy to defeat majin buu

of course super completely contradicts this

Has it? He got powered up from it but no one said you can't use life energy for strength.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CharlestonJew posted:

I think the "ideal" of UI is that you can just have it active naturally all the time, but Goku hasn't mastered it yet so he can only really attain it when pushed to his breaking point

So again, you can still build a tolerance to throwing yourself into so many do or die situations that your instincts just can't break through the shell because you've built it back up too strong. How are you supposed to permanently remove the shell then to have it always on?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crabtree posted:

So again, you can still build a tolerance to throwing yourself into so many do or die situations that your instincts just can't break through the shell because you've built it back up too strong. How are you supposed to permanently remove the shell then to have it always on?
Probably by like, training and meditating rather than trying to do it all in an hour long battle tournament.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Momomo posted:

Has it? He got powered up from it but no one said you can't use life energy for strength.

in fact thats entirely what Tien does with his TRIBEAM

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Tien is going to be the next person to master UI by purposefully almost killing himself

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Nessus posted:

Probably by like, training and meditating rather than trying to do it all in an hour long battle tournament.

Well then I guess U11's gonna win.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure this is backwards. They said Namekians broke small pieces off of the Super Dragonballs and that is how they were able to start creating them.

I loving hate this and I hope it gets retconned or something. Its like the lamest idea that the writers of DBS could've come up with and makes the Namekians way less cool and unique.

"Uh, how do we explain what the Namekian Dragon Balls are, now that we have these Super Dragon Balls? Like, how are they connected?"
"Umm...I guess Namekians just stole them or something, I dunno. :shrug: "

I'm partial to the idea that Zarama* created the Super Dragon Balls and then split himself into a bunch of Namekians who populated Universes 6 and 7. That would explain why they can fuse together and divide themselves into multiple copies naturally: because they were originally all one being. I'm still holding out hope that that's what we find out later on, but i dont hold my breath for it.

*edited because i got the name wrong

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 4, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
with the end of U2 and U6 I think the tournament is about to get serious, since U2 and U6 were challenging but also comic relief

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Current leaderboard:

Really points out how little we have left now, with next episode having U4 take on U7, what is U3 even doing right now

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

42 knockouts from U7 alone? Christ, I hadn't realized how fast their numbers were climbing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blue Star posted:

I'm partial to the idea that Zamasu created the Super Dragon Balls and then split himself into a bunch of Namekians who populated Universes 6 and 7. That would explain why they can fuse together and divide themselves into multiple copies naturally: because they were originally all one being. I'm still holding out hope that that's what we find out later on, but i dont hold my breath for it.

uh?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think she means that Zalama guy.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Oops, i meant the other one that started with a z

Raxivace posted:

I think she means that Zalama guy.

Thats the one.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I'm just happy Mr.Piccolo is still in this tournament. He's still in a tier above krillin at least

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

pik_d posted:

Current leaderboard:

Really points out how little we have left now, with next episode having U4 take on U7, what is U3 even doing right now

I don't even remember the last time we saw someone from U3 besides Pepsiman and the robot that attacked 17 while he was fighting U2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

didn't notice goku had overtaken vegeta in elims, drat

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Vegeta is driven more than he's ever been in this tournament, fighting not only to save himself and the family he loves, but the world of his apprentice.

So it's about time for him to bitch our hard, but at least he's had a good showing. Good on ya Veggie.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

didn't notice goku had overtaken vegeta in elims, drat

Goku got 5 in the last two episodes while Vegeta stood there like the Second Fiddle he is and watched.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I can't wait til we find out Freeza's been last hitting all of U7's kills before they poof to get credit for the elimination for the MVP at the end.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dexo posted:

I can't wait til we find out Freeza's been last hitting all of U7's kills before they poof to get credit for the elimination for the MVP at the end.
Ah, the Enkidu method.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Fartbox posted:

I'm just happy Mr.Piccolo is still in this tournament. He's still in a tier above krillin at least

Same. It's a shame how low expectations are for Piccolo these days. I would have at least liked a "Wow, you're pretty strong. How many other Namekians are you fused with?" "Two, but one was already me. Let's go with one and a half."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blue Star posted:

I loving hate this and I hope it gets retconned or something. Its like the lamest idea that the writers of DBS could've come up with and makes the Namekians way less cool and unique.

"Uh, how do we explain what the Namekian Dragon Balls are, now that we have these Super Dragon Balls? Like, how are they connected?"
"Umm...I guess Namekians just stole them or something, I dunno. :shrug: "

I'm partial to the idea that Zarama* created the Super Dragon Balls and then split himself into a bunch of Namekians who populated Universes 6 and 7. That would explain why they can fuse together and divide themselves into multiple copies naturally: because they were originally all one being. I'm still holding out hope that that's what we find out later on, but i dont hold my breath for it.

*edited because i got the name wrong

I get your point, but think about it this way: the Universe 7 Namekians, a completely mortal race with no godly qualities whatsoever, managed to, without any outside help (like, say, the Dragon Radar) find at least one Super Dragon Ball, break it (the Dragon Balls are not easy to break, considering they've survived the entire series, and the Super Dragon Balls must be even tougher), take the broken piece and somehow completely reverse engineer it into a whole new set of Dragon Balls.

Not only that, they then took their recreated godly technology and used it to raise a selected few of themselves into deities.

The Namekians not only copied the gods but became gods themselves (a few, that is, like Kami and Guru). The only other race we've seen that could reach apotheosis were the Saiyans and even there they could only use a god's power, instead of any other useful skills the deities held, and furthermore they're deities for limited amounts of time. The Namekians obtained near-limitless creation power, reaching or surpassing the Kaioshin, the Gods of Creation themselves (not in canon, of course, but they certainly have proven themselves far better at their job) and created permanent deities out of mortals.

The Namekians may genuinely be even more awesome after the Zalama retcon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the idea that the namekians took pieces of the super dragon balls or w/e doesn't make a whole lot of sense (where did kami's dragon balls come from? he said he made them from scratch to remind him of home...), but as with all of toriyama's shifting perspective on how things work, I just accept the explanation he came up with that I like the most as truth

it's not like it'll ever come up again but you know it'll be a different explanation again if it does

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Dexo posted:

I suspect at the end Freeza's going to request that the wish goes to the winner of a fight between whoever is left in that universe. It would explain why he's been nudging Goku to work himself to the bone. Also it would be a fun reversal of the Resurrection: F plot, with Freeza now taking extra care not to exert more energy than he absolutely needs to.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Namekian Zalara thing is awesome to me, because these D&D motherfuckers were slick enough to steal bits from seven planet balls, make their own balls, and I just assume that the original nameless Namekian had been given emergency shards from the seven Namek balls before being sent off by the disaster to make the Earth ones a-

Wait a second Piccolo/Kami have the same origin story as Superman how loving many times has he gotten away with this

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

that leaderboard is bad, this one is better

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering the clothes beam (something they have been show to use even as recently as the latest ep) I have always assumed that by examining the shards from the Super Dragonballs the Namekians just learned how to create them from scratch by themselves. Considering the dragons they summon are connected to the creator's life force, that would imply they're just part of the Namekian's body.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You know give U3 credit where due, even without U7s Protagonist Power they're still currently throwing down in 2nd place

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Momomo posted:

Considering the clothes beam (something they have been show to use even as recently as the latest ep) I have always assumed that by examining the shards from the Super Dragonballs the Namekians just learned how to create them from scratch by themselves. Considering the dragons they summon are connected to the creator's life force, that would imply they're just part of the Namekian's body.

But then why didn't Gohan's clothes disappear when Piccolo died?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The clothes are inert.