Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

An AVPR 4K release would be a perfect opportunity to brighten it up just a bit.

Seriously. It's a decent movie but the home video release is so loving dark. I've never seen a studio botch a release that badly.

Maybe the Predator blu-rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

Disagree, the practical effects are pretty excellent (aside from the unmasked Predator faces, holy poo poo), the Predator/Queen fight at the end is cool, the pyramid is a novel setting, Charles Weyland is a more interesting and sympathetic character than Peter Weyland, and overall it's a better retelling of At the Mountains of Madness than Prometheus.

well to the rest of us who are casual fans of the franchise, it's completely mind numbing and boring and shouldn't exist.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Yaws posted:

Maybe the Predator blu-rays.

What happened with those?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

What happened with those?

They used digital noise reduction to remove the film grain, which even if you don't mind that, they were so aggressive with it that they also smoothed out the image to the point of making people look plasticy:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Why the hell do people not like film gain? It's pretty.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Sir Kodiak posted:

They used digital noise reduction to remove the film grain, which even if you don't mind that, they were so aggressive with it that they also smoothed out the image to the point of making people look plasticy:

Kind of makes me think of Until Dawn.

I'd totally play a Predator version of that game.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would def buy AvP-R on 4K just to snap it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leavemywife posted:

Kind of makes me think of Until Dawn.

I'd totally play a Predator version of that game.
Holy poo poo. That studio could make bank by just making Slasher villain games off that engine.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You could say that both Prometheus and AVP brought people to the theater because there wasn't an alien or predator movie for years.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
I hated the bullet-time facehuggers in AvP

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tenzarin posted:

You could say that both Prometheus and AVP brought people to the theater because there wasn't an alien or predator movie for years.

There were 7 years between Resurrection and AVP, which really isn't especially long for Alien (same time as between Alien and Aliens, Aliens to Alien 3 was 6 years, 3 to resurrection was 5.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FilthyImp posted:

Holy poo poo. That studio could make bank by just making Slasher villain games off that engine.

I was sad Until Dawn under performed because I would have totally bought a new game ever couple of years in that engine where it's just a new group of folks are in a remote place but oh poo poo something's out to get them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sir Kodiak posted:

I’m morbidly curious what the shot of Arnie‘s stunt-double falling into the river in slow motion is like on that release because on the DVD it looks like it was shot on particularly grainy super-8 (probably just high ISO 35mm but a boy can dream).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

Argh. Disgusting.

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Why the hell do people not like film gain? It's pretty.

In a properly restored film, it looks great. No idea how you could see it as a flaw to be removed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When I see grain I see quality.

Eastbound and Down was filmed with film I believe and it's good.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Scott in EW:

quote:

“We are [going to make another], we are,” Scott told EW from the set of All the Money in the World. “I think what we have to do is gradually drift away from the alien stuff.” Say what? Scott’s Alien: Covenant, which came out earlier this year, felt like a return to some legit old-school scares but failed to set the domestic box office ablaze (though, combined with international sales, it ended with north of $240 million in ticket revenue). “People say, ‘You need more alien, you need more face pulling, need more chest bursting,’ so I put a lot of that in Covenant and it fitted nicely. But I think if you go again you need to start finding another solution that’s more interesting. I think AI is becoming much more dangerous and therefore more interesting.”

Full: http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/04/ridley-scott-alien-franchise-covenant/

Can't say I disagree with him.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
I am overjoyed that the whinging of internet fanboys and the apparent failure of Covenant have not prevented Scott from making more Alien movies. It sounds like he is totally over giving a gently caress what other people say he needs to put in these movies which means hopefully Awakening is as great as Prometheus. I hope he keeps making them forever, with his brain uploaded into a computer designed to allow him to pump out infinite Alien movies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
At this rate he'll basically end up making a better, droid-centric Star Wars franchise.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

To be fair he said the same thing after 'Prometheus' and its (at the time) hypothetical sequel.

I don't really disagree with him either, which is why I've long felt he should have gone hog-wild with a wholly independent sci-fi idea rather than tying it to 'Alien'. Using 'Alien' as a crutch is useful to get an in-built audience to buy tickets no questions asked, but if there's any director who could spawn a new "franchise" from nothing, I'd say it's Ridley Scott.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair he said the same thing after 'Prometheus' and its (at the time) hypothetical sequel.

I don't really disagree with him either, which is why I've long felt he should have gone hog-wild with a wholly independent sci-fi idea rather than tying it to 'Alien'. Using 'Alien' as a crutch is useful to get an in-built audience to buy tickets no questions asked, but if there's any director who could spawn a new "franchise" from nothing, I'd say it's Ridley Scott.

The thing about Covenant is that it was like half and half. Trying to do both. He should have either gone full Alien or gone full Prometheus sequel.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

evil android body horror stuff is fine with me. churn em out scott!!!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BarronsArtGallery posted:

The thing about Covenant is that it was like half and half. Trying to do both. He should have either gone full Alien or gone full Prometheus sequel.

Agreed, and personally I'd have preferred a full Prometheus sequel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MajorB posted:

I am overjoyed that the whinging of internet fanboys and the apparent failure of Covenant have not prevented Scott from making more Alien movies. It sounds like he is totally over giving a gently caress what other people say he needs to put in these movies which means hopefully Awakening is as great as Prometheus. I hope he keeps making them forever, with his brain uploaded into a computer designed to allow him to pump out infinite Alien movies.

I can't even believe how much clout the dude has to give as few fucks as he does. I still LMAO at him unilaterally coordinating and then later telling Paramount "Hi this is what's up we're still releasing in December but I got rid of Kevin Spacey and am reshooting his scenes with Christopher Plummer."

Speaking of drastic changes, it seems like Disney is going to go through with purchasing Fox tomorrow, so enjoy whatever weirdness pops up in Alien movies while you can.

They need to now have a an alien skull in Guardians of the Galaxy or The Brood (Marvel's shameless xenomorph ripoff) pop up in a Deadpool flick.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
An engineer homeworld overrun by rogue AI that ultimately body horrors David+his creation into the xenomorph sounds loving awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I can't even believe how much clout the dude has to give as few fucks as he does. I still LMAO at him unilaterally coordinating and then later telling Paramount "Hi this is what's up we're still releasing in December but I got rid of Kevin Spacey and am reshooting his scenes with Christopher Plummer."

Speaking of drastic changes, it seems like Disney is going to go through with purchasing Fox tomorrow, so enjoy whatever weirdness pops up in Alien movies while you can.

They need to now have a an alien skull in Guardians of the Galaxy or The Brood (Marvel's shameless xenomorph ripoff) pop up in a Deadpool flick.

I haven't been following the news of the buyout, are they straight up buying the whole company or are they selectively buying parts of it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I haven't been following the news of the buyout, are they straight up buying the whole company or are they selectively buying parts of it?

IIRC in reality it's still "21st Century Fox" specifically and not everything so the biggest thing for most people will be home releases of the original Star Wars trilogy as well as Hulu if they got that far.

EDIT:

Holy poo poo nevermind that, it's literally everything except Fox News, Fox Sports, and the TV broadcasting stuff associated with those two things.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html

So now like what, just THREE companies own all of western pop culture?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 5, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I looked up a quick article that said the Fox Television programming is not part of the buyout and is being left with Fox. I'd have laughed pretty hard if Disney had bought Fox News and then, you know, shuttered the entire organization.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Neo Rasa posted:

The cyberpunk future is here and it's lame as poo poo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sinister voice over of David discussing his new creation.

RIDLEY SCOTT PRESENTS

(record scratch sample)

PORGS

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm picturing all the fan art people are gonna labor over of the X-Men and Fantastic Four being WELCOMED HOME and I just heaved a little

e: ticker tape in the air, Mickey Mouse, Spider-Man and a Predator on the mayor's stand

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I'm picturing all the fan art people are gonna labor over of the X-Men and Fantastic Four being WELCOMED HOME and I just heaved a little

e: ticker tape in the air, Mickey Mouse, Spider-Man and a Predator on the mayor's stand

A Mickey Mouse shaped skull in the background of a Predator ship's trophy case would justify all of this.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Neo Rasa posted:

A Mickey Mouse shaped skull in the background of a Predator ship's trophy case would justify all of this.

"What the Hell are you?"

"Goorsh..."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disney leaves Marvel and Lucasfilm alone, in case you forgot.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

EDIT:

Holy poo poo nevermind that, it's literally everything except Fox News, Fox Sports, and the TV broadcasting stuff associated with those two things.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html

This is shameful. gently caress. This will definitely impact the Alien films for the worst.

The FCC should be preventing monopolies like this instead of trying to destroy the internet's Net Neutrality.

CelticPredator posted:

Disney leaves Marvel and Lucasfilm alone, in case you forgot.

Comedy post of the week right here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

viral spiral posted:

This is shameful. gently caress. This will definitely impact the ALIEN films for the worst.

The FCC should be preventing monopolies like this instead of trying to destroy the internet's Net Neutrality.

Comedy post of the week right here.

Why would the FCC go against the interests of its owners?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's all just kids' stuff, who cares if there's one company making it :downs:

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

Why would the FCC go against the interests of its owners?

I'm saying in theory, they should. Of course I know the FCC is balls deep in corporate corruption.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Given that Disney likes money, and the Alien franchise is probably the most profitable IP that Fox owns outright, I think we're all gonna be fine. We'll probably see fucktons more merch, and the comic license will probably hot-potato from IDW to Marvel, but I don't really see any other plausible way they'd mess with what already works.

e: and also, anyone saying this means we'll only get PG-13 Alien and Predator movies is a loving idiot. While the franchises have been marketed to children before, it's never really worked out very well for anyone (except arcade beat-em-up fans, I guess) and I can just about guarantee you that Disney doesn't want the media shitstorm that would ensue if they started making kid-targeted Alien stuff in TYOOL 2017/18, immediately after the release of the most gory and violent movie in the franchise.

Also, consider this: the last time a PG-13 rated Alien or Predator movie happened, it made a bunch of money opening weekend due to a legit good hype campaign, and then immediately became one of the most reviled movies of this century so far and nearly killed both franchises. Disney are evil, but they're not outright stupid.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 5, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I look forward to the newest Disney Princess

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Steve Yun posted:

I look forward to the newest Disney Princess

More like