Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Don't know, don't you understand? If you give people who already have a ton of money even more money it'll help the economy because they all want to invest in some way that will magically help the United States. You see every single business wants to expand. That's right, there are no businesses that don't want to expand or simply incapable of doing so for reasons related to logistics, personnel, a lack of suitability for new locations for new franchises (if applicable) or anything like that. Like take Apple for instance, they made 50 billion dollars and I want to say 2015? Obviously if they need an extra five billion, they couldn't get a lender to give it to them to expand for some reason so we need to get them a massive tax break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
is CVS buying Aetna good or bad

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Probably bad

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

a neat cape posted:

is CVS buying Aetna good or bad

If you can find me an instance of one giant company buying another ending up being good for ordinary people I'll concede that it could be good.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Quiet Feet posted:

If you can find me an instance of one giant company buying another ending up being good for ordinary people I'll concede that it could be good.

Fair.

I have Aetna so right now I'm like hmmm.

Also I'm not really smart so I come to you smart people for analysis

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I have Aetna so right now I'm like hmmm.

Might be short term good for you, but almost certainly long term bad as I understand it.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Grittybeard posted:

Might be short term good for you, but almost certainly long term bad as I understand it.

Amazon does cool poo poo

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Big Jesus posted:

Amazon does cool poo poo

Ehhhh

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jeff Bezos looks like a super villain and his company owns all kinds of information about you.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

The Big Jesus posted:

Amazon does cool poo poo

So long as you don't work in their warehouses.

Plus I wonder how they'll change if they ever manage to actually successfully gain a monopoly in any industry. It'll 100% be bad for consumers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

No Butt Stuff posted:

Jeff Bezos looks like a super villain and his company owns all kinds of information about you.

Google and Facebook probably know more about us than Amazon.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Relentlessboredomm posted:

So long as you don't work in their warehouses.

Plus I wonder how they'll change if they ever manage to actually successfully gain a monopoly in any industry. It'll 100% be bad for consumers.

I know some people who work in one of the warehouses and they say it isn't a bad gig

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Big Jesus posted:

I know some people who work in one of the warehouses and they say it isn't a bad gig

Are they a masochist?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Amazon has the same evil business model as Uber, but they're less obnoxious about it.

The importance of anti-monopoly enforcement does seem to be bubbling through the Democratic braintrust, so there may be a little hope there.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

seiferguy posted:

Google and Facebook probably know more about us than Amazon.

Why do you think Google tried making a social network?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

The Big Jesus posted:

It depends. I met plenty of people who got along just fine, my problem with it is that as a model for labor management it's loving horrifying.

Every job has a "rate" metric they have to meet or they get fired. Rate is essentially a productivity metric measuring how fast an employee is packing shipments or finding items for a shipment. Some will also have quality metrics.

Everything centers around making rate. Lunches and breaks are decided for you based on your section and shift. The breaks start when you badge out in the system, same with lunch. Any deviation of more than a minute on either side gets you written up. The break rooms and lunch room can be a ~ 5 - 10 min walk from where you're working since the warehouses are enormous. That time getting back and forth counts towards your break/lunch or it damages your rate. Oh and you have to go through metal detectors to get to the lunch room or out to your car.

It feels like someone took a caricature of factory jobs in the 50's, married them with modern tracking and metrics and leveraged them to squeeze every ounce of blood out of a person. They genuinely view labor as something to be optimized, and then optimized some more.

Of course there's a ton of system gaming going on to the point where the workers and managers view each other as opposition. The managers are always bitching about those lazy loving workers (these are all crazy exhausting back breaking jobs, it's impossible to be lazy and do them) and the workers are always talking about what "management" is going to do next.

It's loving terrifying.

Other fun tidbits that drove me crazy: They are ruthless about firing people for not making rate, but is there a reward for exemplary work? Nopeeeeeeeeeeee. The truly great people, the ones who are lightning fast to the point that it boggles the mind just work crazy hard for the first half of a shift and then coast. They're all desperate for better pay so you'd think they'd have a tiered bonus structure for meeting higher and higher rates but nope. It's an entire system built to be punitive. Every time I piloted something that I said would have ongoing bonuses attached to it I'd get laughed at by both management and the hyper cynical work force.

Oh and even better, they push the rate of a section up based on previous quarter's average rate. If 90% are hitting 53 on average and current rate is 50, guess what it's going to be next month? It never goes down.

The use one loving metric. ONE! They have goddamn mountains of data but only hold the labor and the management to single metrics. Guess how well unscrupulous people did in that system?

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 4, 2017

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

OxySnake posted:

:agreed:

God Emperor loving rules.

The one thing I especially missed about my old job was being able to read for hour on end.

I finished the entire Dune, Hitchhikers Guide, Palahniuk's entire bibliography, most of Murakami's bibliography and several other assorted books in about a year and a half of working there.
I've read several of his books, and I have 1Q84 and it is staring me in the face but it's so loving big. I'm scared :ohdear:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Quiet Feet posted:

WWE bought WCW and allowed us to have a 95% complete back tape library of wrestling. Other than that :shrug:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Every job has a "rate" metric they have to meet or they get fired....

It's loving terrifying.

Jesus christ, that's the exact literal opposite of how I roll. My team gets rewarded for a job well done often—pretty much weekly. Nobody misses deadlines...because they're pretty happy to be at work, so often they don't even notice they've passed in assignments super early, they just want to share it, use the extra time to get me to teach them poo poo and use their microbonuses for stuff.

I don't look at the clock or give them poo poo for being a few minutes late because everyone exceeds expectations. Hell, one guy, once fell behind a day and he put in the hours for catch up to get his poo poo done only a day late. I've not once chastised them or put the hammer down because I don't have to. They're motivated and kept that way with a supportive and healthy work environment. We doubled (!!!) our traffic y/y this Nov. and I fully attribute it to the amount of self-improvement each person has been able to accomplish while we've been together.

This week I was brought in to mediate other departments I don't run and it's been... disheartening to see what a metric-only approach does to a team :smith:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CannonFodder posted:

I've read several of his books, and I have 1Q84 and it is staring me in the face but it's so loving big. I'm scared :ohdear:

It’s not an especially daunting book, but the translation is not great so it reads kind of dry.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It depends. I met plenty of people who got along just fine, my problem with it is that as a model for labor management it's loving horrifying.

Every job has a "rate" metric they have to meet or they get fired. Rate is essentially a productivity metric measuring how fast an employee is packing shipments or finding items for a shipment. Some will also have quality metrics.

Everything centers around making rate. Lunches and breaks are decided for you based on your section and shift. The breaks start when you badge out in the system, same with lunch. Any deviation of more than a minute on either side gets you written up. The break rooms and lunch room can be a ~ 5 - 10 min walk from where you're working since the warehouses are enormous. That time getting back and forth counts towards your break/lunch or it damages your rate. Oh and you have to go through metal detectors to get to the lunch room or out to your car.

It feels like someone took a caricature of factory jobs in the 50's, married them with modern tracking and metrics and leveraged them to squeeze every ounce of blood out of a person. They genuinely view labor as something to be optimized, and then optimized some more.

Of course there's a ton of system gaming going on to the point where the workers and managers view each other as opposition. The managers are always bitching about those lazy loving workers (these are all crazy exhausting back breaking jobs, it's impossible to be lazy and do them) and the workers are always talking about what "management" is going to do next.

It's loving terrifying.

Other fun tidbits that drove me crazy: They are ruthless about firing people for not making rate, but is there a reward for exemplary work? Nopeeeeeeeeeeee. The truly great people, the ones who are lightning fast to the point that it boggles the mind just work crazy hard for the first half of a shift and then coast. They're all desperate for better pay so you'd think they'd have a tiered bonus structure for meeting higher and higher rates but nope. It's an entire system built to be punitive. Every time I piloted something that I said would have ongoing bonuses attached to it I'd get laughed at by both management and the hyper cynical work force.

Oh and even better, they push the rate of a section up based on previous quarter's average rate. If 90% are hitting 53 on average and current rate is 50, guess what it's going to be next month? It never goes down.

The use one loving metric. ONE! They have goddamn mountains of data but only hold the labor and the management to single metrics. Guess how well unscrupulous people did in that system?

I feel like you just described a lot of jobs, unfortunately.

I did customer service for UPS when I was 20 and it was just like this but a call center instead of warehouse work.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ehud posted:

I feel like you just described a lot of jobs, unfortunately.

I did customer service for UPS when I was 20 and it was just like this but a call center instead of warehouse work.

I got fired 3 days out of training at a call center once because an elderly customer needed me to talk slowly and wait for her to fully read any on screen instructions and the call made my average time for the rolling 3 day period go 2 seconds over the mandated limit.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Intruder posted:

Do they think that rich people are going to stop wanting to be rich if they're being taxed extra?

I have had family members who have argued that exact thing to my idea of add a tax bracket at 10 mil a year that is 75%.

"If you increase taxes there is no reason to try for more!"

At 10 million loving dollars a year.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A lot of companies don't understand the concept of positive reinforcement and it's really sad. I think the last time anyone at my company said that I did a good job with something was six months ago when lunch delivery for another department on my floor fell through and I offered to walk down the street and pick up their lunches up for them :lol:

My last employer wasn't perfect by any measure but they did quarterly peer recognition awards and if you got nominated for and made the cut or whatever you got a $100 Visa gift card. Got an award for volunteering last-minute to give a company tour and bought my blender with the prize. And I gave much more of a poo poo at that job compared to my current job, even if you factor out the free $100. I'm a simple man, I just want to be told that I did a good job at something!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My company is hit or miss. For example, when we were in a crisis mode with a project most of my team got pulled into emergency meetings and I was given literally every customer support issue to deal with by myself because they were otherwise occupied in addition to my normal development tasks for which I was expected to keep to my schedule. They got monetary rewards for the extra work put into that project, I got nothing

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

OxySnake posted:

I have had family members who have argued that exact thing to my idea of add a tax bracket at 10 mil a year that is 75%.

"If you increase taxes there is no reason to try for more!"

At 10 million loving dollars a year.

yeah, that argument against progressive taxation a.) fundamentally misconstrues how it works and b.) effectively taxes a person of 100% of their potential income.

reagan used to use that line all the time. he claimed once he hit a certain amount earned he stopped working every year. its bullshit because of course that's not how progressive taxation works, and he was contract anyway.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There are literally people who I've worked with who turned down raises to avoid being put in a higher tax bracket because they didn't understand that all the money they made up until reaching that bracket was taxed the same as anyone else in those income ranges

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Weird, this dude spent decades abusing women:

Intruder posted:

There are literally people who I've worked with who turned down raises to avoid being put in a higher tax bracket because they didn't understand that all the money they made up until reaching that bracket was taxed the same as anyone else in those income ranges

I find that so unbelievable, because the first time they mentioned it to anyone not retarded they'd be so embarrassed they'd kill themselves.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Capitalism is a disease

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Capitalism is a disease

https://twitter.com/tinycartridge/status/937194927997538305

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Capitalism is a disease

Capitalism owns. America just sucks at it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah America is the best at it, it's just pure unfiltered capitalism is designed to be soul crushing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

No Butt Stuff posted:

He wants to install microphones in every one's home and is now asking everyone to give him the keys to their front door, and people are just like "what an amazing idea for a business model."

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah America is the best at it, it's just pure unfiltered capitalism is designed to be soul crushing.

True capitalism has never been tried.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The gilded age, is probably the closest. Though it gets worse the closer you get so the distinction is more academic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BlindSite posted:

True capitalism has never been tried.

Sealand?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

There's probably an alien civilization out there that actually is purely capitalist but it works because they aren't a bunch of natural assholes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bill Trinen has owned ever since that weird as gently caress Tomodachi Life trailer he was in.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sometimes I want to buy a Jeep

It seems like a fun vehicle if you enjoy mods and working on your vehicle

Anyone here ever own a Jeep

Please advise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Ehud posted:

Sometimes I want to buy a Jeep

It seems like a fun vehicle if you enjoy mods and working on your vehicle

Anyone here ever own a Jeep

Please advise

My friend has one and it is a neverending money pit and it feels like a pile of garbage plastic on a nice suspension

Also he was taking forever to unlock it one time so I grabbed it by the roofrack and started shaking it like a hungry bear and he got really upset

• Locked thread