Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Here's a sonic blue manual 06 with 124k asking $13750, in NC:

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/6255203279.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Saw that one on swedespeed, can't believe it hasn't sold yet. It's priced perfectly unless he's 100% not negotiable. Probably the interior color that keeps it from selling, most people don't like Gobi.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

LloydDobler posted:

Saw that one on swedespeed, can't believe it hasn't sold yet. It's priced perfectly unless he's 100% not negotiable. Probably the interior color that keeps it from selling, most people don't like Gobi.

True, but for a manual late-run VR, that's a reasonable asking price. If I was totaled tomorrow, I would consider calling him up.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Maybe a leaky fuel injector? Or vacuum leak around an injector or manifold gasket? Intake manifold gasket is not terribly hard or expensive to replace if you want to rule it out. Just remove the radiator fan first.

Intake manifold gasket was replaced when I did the PCV system. I'll get some injector o-rings and give that a shot. Just replaced both lambda sensors, too. Code keeps haunting me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Anyone got a single-cam non-turbo redblock for sale within a couple hours of the DC/Richmond area? Cylinder 2 is full of coolant and all the wreckers in the area have nothing. I am pretty upset.

e: to clarify, I just want an engine hurf durf

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 28, 2017

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I had to scrap my spare redblock last year in preparation for moving house :(

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
So I bought that R:

Got it home:

Took the broken stuff out:

Found unbroken stuff:

Robbed my XC of some parts:

Put it all together:

And ended the weekend with this:

Waiting on a radiator, AC condenser, and bumper brackets (they weren't hurt in the wreck but they kind of fell apart when I took the bumper off). Still need to decide on what to do about headlights and corner lamps - I'll probably just bite the bullet and get some knockoff jewels.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Coming out great,was the rad support o.e.?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Which one? :D

The broken one and the replacement are both OEM. I scored the replacement for like $20 at the junkyard - a new one would have been about $650, which feels like robbery considering how fragile it is. I was originally planning to use the one out of my XC but I decided to keep it looking like a car for as long as possible so I don't piss off my neighbors.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So I'm looking at a 2005 V50 T5 (auto) with 150k miles on it. The price seems really good and it's in great condition and I'm pretty handy with a wrench for maintenance and stuff. Is there anything I should look out for (like glaring issues with this model that I've missed in my internet research) with this that I should be wary of?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Great work on that R, Zundfolge.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

GutBomb posted:

So I'm looking at a 2005 V50 T5 (auto) with 150k miles on it. The price seems really good and it's in great condition and I'm pretty handy with a wrench for maintenance and stuff. Is there anything I should look out for (like glaring issues with this model that I've missed in my internet research) with this that I should be wary of?

Start with the sticky threads here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?54-S40-amp-V50-(2005-2012)

They're pretty bulletproof but a couple maintenance items absolutely need doing, mostly cooling system and belts. Too much plastic and no coolant loss warning. These heads run hot and warp almost instantly if you dump the coolant.

I just bought one for my daughter and so far I like it, I use it to split the miles up on my other cars.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

GutBomb posted:

What Lloyd said, basically. I've had my 2006 V50 T5M for about a year and a half now and after about 25K miles (it has about 125K currently) I haven't had to do any unexpected maintenance. On the preventive maintenance front, I've replaced the timing belt, serpentine belts and tensioners, brakes, engine mounts, and front control arms. While I had it apart for the timing belt I replaced the upper rad hose and thermostat housing. I also had to replace the coolant reservoir right after I bought it because it had a crack in the top. On the "annoying but not critical" front, the AC compressor clutch stopped engaging in hot weather so I had to do the zip tie mod, and the outside temp display acts wonky sometimes. I had to replace the driver's side mirror last Christmas after someone busted it and I think the connection between the mirror and the door module needs cleaned.

It's been a good car and I love the way it drives - it's one of the best handling Volvos IMO.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

zundfolge posted:

What Lloyd said, basically. I've had my 2006 V50 T5M for about a year and a half now and after about 25K miles (it has about 125K currently) I haven't had to do any unexpected maintenance. On the preventive maintenance front, I've replaced the timing belt, serpentine belts and tensioners, brakes, engine mounts, and front control arms. While I had it apart for the timing belt I replaced the upper rad hose and thermostat housing. I also had to replace the coolant reservoir right after I bought it because it had a crack in the top. On the "annoying but not critical" front, the AC compressor clutch stopped engaging in hot weather so I had to do the zip tie mod, and the outside temp display acts wonky sometimes. I had to replace the driver's side mirror last Christmas after someone busted it and I think the connection between the mirror and the door module needs cleaned.

It's been a good car and I love the way it drives - it's one of the best handling Volvos IMO.

Good stuff. I just bought it! It's going to be my wife's car, but I was cross-shopping an 07 Passat Wagon 2.0T and the Volvo is just so much better in every way. The Passat was bumpy, slow, FWD, had creaks and rattles everywhere, lovely paint, the works. The Volvo could pass for a new car in the way it drove and looks. Best $4,000 car ever (don't gently caress me on this, Volvo).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GutBomb posted:

I have one of those, it's good.

Problems I've had: The plastic radiator header tank thing has sprung a leak (easy to replace), the brakes squeal a bit when it starts, the sway bar bushings needed replacing when they started knocking and the front drains from the sunroof get clogged and start leaking (check the mats in the footwell for damp). Oh and the CD player died and is basically unfixable without spending $1k+. I've heard the locking mechanism can get stuck and it's happened a couple of times but has fixed itself.

There are a few weird little design decisions - drivers seat roof is low, sunlight reflects off the dash, cupholders are gigantic, glovebox is tiny, door storage is too small, the rear storage is small for a station wagon - but it's a fantastic car to drive and it's been pretty reliable all up. I'd say go for it.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
The previous owner of the wrecked R I bought gave me his folder of maintenance receipts last weekend. During his ownership he spent nearly $9K in order to drive the car less than 25,000 miles. :psyduck:

I knew I was saving a lot of money doing my own work, but yikes.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There are stories that Volvo and their dealers are willing to give you some goodwill credits on expensive repairs due to premature failure, out of warranty. That seems to be more possible if you are loyal and use the dealer for work and service.

My local dealer sends me emails about service specials including $359 oil change, tire rotation, and coolant flush. Like I get the T6 uses almost 8qt of oil and the shop hourly rate is probably crazy but drat.

Doesn't help they have Volvo in with Porsche and Land Rover and play the upscale luxury angle on everything.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Some Volvo dealers will also give discounts on parts and labor if you bring in an older Volvo. The one near me goes up to 20% off everything, which comes in handy occasionally.

I still prefer doing my own work over spending gobs of money for someone else to possibly do a halfassed job though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

zundfolge posted:

The previous owner of the wrecked R I bought gave me his folder of maintenance receipts last weekend. During his ownership he spent nearly $9K in order to drive the car less than 25,000 miles. :psyduck:

I knew I was saving a lot of money doing my own work, but yikes.

That sounded normal to me until I remembered it's a P80 and not a P2. Yikes.

I have the same thing, the PO of my R had too many project cars so his wife demanded that he not do his own work on it. He paid a shop for everything. He lost most of the reciepts and such but the ones I have show over $6k in just the 18 months before I bought it. Also only 25k miles. And among the missing reciepts are all the mods, and the replacement motor as well as the repairs from salvage when he bought it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So I'm getting around to fixing the problems on my cheap v50 and I'm having trouble determining if the timing belt has been done. The teeth look fine, the back of the belt doesn't have much wear. Indications that it has been done are that the plastic cover that goes over the timing belt wasn't clipped in place on the back side of the engine so it was just sort of flopping around, and the belt has a clearly readable label on it "CONTITECH"

Can anyone verify for me whether OEM timing belts from volvo are Contitech belts?

Edit:
So, I started calling the shops listed on the service history that just had generic "Vehicle Serviced" entries and the third one I called told me the the car had actually been owned by one of their techs after she looked up the VIN so she tracked the guy down and asked what the service was and he said he did the timing belt. Sweet!

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 6, 2017

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

LloydDobler posted:

Sold my old faithful V70 T5 manual on Friday. Sad times. Second longest I've ever owned a car, (8 years to the month) and second highest miles I've ever put on one car (109k) I put more miles on my first 122, but I only owned it 6 years. This car would have beaten that except I shared the miles with my convertible.

The procedure that always works for me is this:

Key to position 1
within 1 sec press and hold trip odometer button
within 1 sec key to position 2
Keep holding till something blinks, about 10 seconds
let go and start the car.
Message gone next time you start it.

Most people say let go and remove key but that doesn't always work for me.

Tried this...ignition is now locked up, car won't start.
Called Volvo they said that it's supposed to blink 3 times before you start it. Tried that, didn't work.
They said as a last resort to pull the battery cables and touch them together to reset, so far that hasn't worked.
I'm charging my battery up right now just to confirm it's not a low battery and I'll try the pulling the cables again, but not really having high hopes at this time.

Any thoughts? At least four hours from the nearest dealer, so I gotta fix this myself.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Oxphocker posted:

Tried this...ignition is now locked up, car won't start.
Called Volvo they said that it's supposed to blink 3 times before you start it. Tried that, didn't work.
They said as a last resort to pull the battery cables and touch them together to reset, so far that hasn't worked.
I'm charging my battery up right now just to confirm it's not a low battery and I'll try the pulling the cables again, but not really having high hopes at this time.

Any thoughts? At least four hours from the nearest dealer, so I gotta fix this myself.

Ignition locked? You mean the key is jammed up? Or are you just saying it cranks and cranks with no start?

Either way, you need a VIDA/DICE setup if you're that far from the nearest dealer. Any indy Volvo shops closer? VIDA will reset the service warning without the key and button shenanigans.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Luckily, letting the car sit for two hours, went in and it cranked on the first try...drat service message is still there though =( but I'm not going to screw with it anymore..

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I know this guy personally, he's alright:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?465809-VIDA-dedicated-laptops-for-sale

That and a chinese DICE and you're set. But if you know computers like most SA people then just skip it and buy one with the disc and get your own laptop.

You NEED this.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 2, 2017

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

I know this guy personally, he's alright:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?465809-VIDA-dedicated-laptops-for-sale

That and a chinese DICE and you're set. But if you know computers like most SA people then just skip it and buy one with the disc and get your own laptop.

You NEED this.

Thanks... I have the DICE, but trying to get it to work with my laptop has been a nightmare, this would solve that issue and for $250 that's not a bad deal...

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Anyone in the North Georgia/Atlanta/Knoxville/Nashville/Asheville/Huntsville area have a set of good Virgos they want to sell at a non-ridiculous price? I want a set for my 240.

Where do you even buy these besides ebay or constantly scanning craigslist? Do i need to break down after 12 years and finally make a turbobricks account and find a set from some flat-billed hat wearing vaper jackass with chopped springs on his mom's old 740? My last set I found locally on Craigslist but that was over ten years ago and things are different now and 240s were never super-popular here.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

berth ell pup posted:

Do i need to break down after 12 years and finally make a turbobricks account and find a set from some flat-billed hat wearing vaper jackass with chopped springs on his mom's old 740?
Yep.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
There are a decent amount of Turbobrickers in that area so someone might be able to hook you up, but to hear the old timers there tell it most Virgos you can find nowadays are bent and you might have trouble finding a straight set of four, especially if you buy them from Snapback McVaperson.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!
I was cleaning out my basement this weekend and found some leftover IPD parts I never got around to putting on my 240 - front and rear bushing kits and a pair of Bilstein front touring shocks.

I don’t know anyone that still has a 240 so if you’re interested, PM me - they aren’t doing anyone any good sitting on my basement shelf.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
does anyone know if this will accept the existing master cylinder on a 1990 volvo 760 turbo

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-power-brake-booster-740-760-780-940-cardone-car-532680

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Nevermind that's not the abs version gently caress me

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

SwashedBuckles posted:

I was cleaning out my basement this weekend and found some leftover IPD parts I never got around to putting on my 240 - front and rear bushing kits and a pair of Bilstein front touring shocks.

I don’t know anyone that still has a 240 so if you’re interested, PM me - they aren’t doing anyone any good sitting on my basement shelf.

My sister still drives a 240. I'm in Denver and she's in Portland, either of us anywhere near you?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

LloydDobler posted:

My sister still drives a 240. I'm in Denver and she's in Portland, either of us anywhere near you?

I’m just south of Boston, so unfortunately the other side of the country :eng99:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
are the bushing kits just regular OEM or the poly kits?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

Terrible Robot posted:

are the bushing kits just regular OEM or the poly kits?

Just the OEM replacement ones.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Last November, I was lucky enough to get introduced to a mechanic that was trying to get a business up and running last November. At the time, my car's motor was showing it's age - smoke after idling, and then oil in the coolant. I started chatting him up about potentially having him swap a junk yard motor into my car as a relatively economical way to get the car back on the road. He clearly knew his poo poo, having worked on a top fuel dragster team for years, but it turned out he had recently swapped the clutch and fabricated a custom exhaust for a manual swapped 850R of an acquaintance of mine. That made him the only shop I know that would work on a manual swapped Volvo, so I was sold. I'm sure there are other performance related shops that would do the work, however this guy was met through a mutual friend and it was more of a low-key relationship. He's certainly given me many hours of his time that weren't billed which I kind of feel bad about.

I obtained a motor from a wrecked 98 V70R, however that plan ended up getting thrown out of the window at some point. I ended up just rebuilding the original motor, grabbing a limited split differential, new Garrett Gen 2 GTX3071R, and a whole lot of other components. The car was back together for the most part in late summer. The last few months have been basically just trying to get the tune in order. The tuner I'm using came to town last week and we rented a dyno Thursday and again on Saturday. We weren't able to hit the expected 450whp due to the wastegate being unable to close once it has opened at all. Target boost is 28-29psi.

Some notes from the tuner:

quote:

We had problems keeping the boost consistent throughout the RPM range. As soon as the TCV duty cycle dropped below 99% nd allowed the wastegate to open it wouldn't be able to fully close again. I struggled with keeping it fully shut as high into the RPMs as possible, without a taper to the target TCV duty cycle, but this made it very difficult to avoid overshoot. We tried increasing the wastegate preload, but this helped only marginally. Sometime in the spring Phil will probably add water methanol injection and a stronger wastegate actuator, at which point we'll re-tune the car.

We were able to get 451wtq at 4400RPM, but had to end the run prematurely due to boost overshoot and knock. Highest HP occurred on the same run at 384whp. I believe that with a properly functioning wastegate we could see 450whp/450wtq.

The .63A/R turbine housing is very responsive. It can make 20psi at 3700RPM and 30psi at 4200RPM.

Some of the hardware on the car includes:
  • GTX3071R with .63 A/R, ATP 'ultimate' internal wastegate, screamer pipe and a 14psi wastegate actuator
  • 139.5mm forged rods, Wiseco pistons
  • Stock head, N/A cams, N/A throttlebody, stock intake manifold, 'R' exhaust manifold
  • 4" MAF Housing
  • Snabb FMIC
  • Deatschwerks 900cc Injectors
  • IGN-1A ignition coils
  • M56H w/ Quaife LSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cg6O1gL4DA

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

goobernoodles posted:

Big turbo goodness

Pretty cool setup. Was the problem with the original engine the head gasket?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

What is that plastic bottle doing?

Also, :swoon:

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Pretty cool setup. Was the problem with the original engine the head gasket?
Apparently there was no clear indication of a head gasket failure, so I'm wondering the oil cooler in the radiator was leaking. I put in a new aluminum radiator as a precaution.

ionn posted:

What is that plastic bottle doing?

Also, :swoon:
Temporary catch can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Gorgeous car with the perfect wheels. Far and away my favorite setup.

Have you screwed around with the linkage on the wastegate at all to see if it's binding? Seems to me like that is where the problem might be.