Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Used pretty much nothing but Wave once I got overleveled. It trivialized most fights; I honestly felt like I'd kind of robbed myself when I slam-dunked my pod into the invading machines during Pascal's Despair and turned "an intense battle against an army of enemies" into "I didn't even take a hit, this took like twelve seconds, why is A2 staggering."

Though I don't have anyone to blame but myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Missile sounds like a good idea with a less-than-stellar execution. Especially with the "if you so much as fart on an eighth of a pixel of geometry, you're stopping dead in your tracks" caveat that tends to hurt moves like this. Seriously, that problem can be extremely annoying to deal with, especially in a game with slipshod programming (e.g., Sonic 06 and those really bad speed sections). At least Missile has some utility for those that want to use it, unlike Decoy which seems to have almost no value outside of completion percentage padding.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
My archive data went incomplete for the longest time because I somehow missed that Pious Machine record chest every single time I went to the factory. I MIGHT have seen it on my very first trip through with 2B way back during Route A.

When it comes to the Pod Programs, I really came to appreciate the sound quality of the headset I bought for streams. Either the speakers or the sound settings for my TV are hosed (I suspect the latter because I bought this TV less than a year ago) because I never heard those Pod beeps even faintly when playing normally (regardless of how I adjusted the in-game sound settings) but my headset picked that poo poo up loud and clear.

I remember someone mentioning that Missile is supposed to be effective against... something, I'll be damned if I can remember what. I don't recall because like Id I tried it out right away and found the abysmal range made it just short of completely useless and never touched it again. Which is a shame because I thought it would go with a good naming theme of Laser Pod having the Laser Program and Missile doing the same with its named program. Oh well, Gatling Pod would've wrecked the whole theme anyway. Why don't YOU have a Program named after you, Gatling Pod!?

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Too bad about the decoy. I could imagine some fun to be had with a program that aggroed every machine in X radius based on level and also potentially had your main Pod doing A2 style taunts pretending to be an android.
Observation: All the enemy machines in this area are weak and stupid.
Proposal: Enemy machines should come and get me, if they think their rusty joints can handle the strain.
Observation: I'm gonna wreck all of you without messing up my well made hair.

The Dark Id posted:

There is a couple points of interest

much minded we deserved the sacred icon

a battering ram charge attack. Which sound[b] like it could be alright

taking a massive amount of damage [b]destroy
our androids’ clothes

"are, "sounds, "destroys" and just checking if the second one should be "desecrated"?

Zagglezig fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 3, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Zagglezig posted:

Too bad about the decoy. I could imagine some fun to be had with a program that aggroed every machine in X radius based on level and also potentially had your main Pod doing A2 style taunts pretending to be an android.

Observation: You look like the bastard offspring of Nowe and a moose.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Observation: You look like the bastard offspring of Nowe and a moose.

And then every moose in the area charged the Pod thanks to this grievous insult.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

The Dark Id posted:

Saaaaaaay! I know fourth guy! What a dumbass! He never even fixed his sick daughter. Also, this spear is new to NieR: Automata so I don't know what it's playing at with that bogus weapon tale. Stop writing fanfictions with baby murder, Accord.

"My child is more important than the entire human race and I'll enjoy slaughtering anyone who disagrees!"

Dude may not have laid hands on the actual spear but he's got the cruel arrogance down pat.

Wsintai
Mar 20, 2015

FrankZP posted:

"My child is more important than the entire human race and I'll enjoy slaughtering anyone who disagrees!"

Dude may not have laid hands on the actual spear but he's got the cruel arrogance down pat.

In his defense, he was right at the end by the time he realized that.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
In his defense, anybody reasonable who would talk things out in the Yoko Taro universe dies horrible before they utter a word.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Zagglezig posted:

Observation: All the enemy machines in this area are weak and stupid.
Proposal: Enemy machines should come and get me, if they think their rusty joints can handle the strain.
Observation: I'm gonna wreck all of you without messing up my well made hair.

Proposal: Jump into the ocean and rust worse than you already are.
Observation: My last 58 predecessors pods units could all fire bigger and more accurate shots than that. (EDIT: Forgot that it's supposed to be Pod pretending to be their android owner)
Proposal: Losersaysbeep

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 3, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Skylight posted:

And then every moose in the area charged the Pod thanks to this grievous insult.
I'm honestly amazed we haven't been able to weaponize boar/moose drifting yet in this franchise.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Andyzero posted:

In his defense, anybody reasonable who would talk things out in the Yoko Taro universe dies horrible before they utter a word.

Y'know, is there a way that talking would have explained it? "You and everyone you know must have your personality subsumed by these green shadow things you've been fighting" would be an awfully hard sell even if Nier hadn't gotten far down his murder-journey

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm pretty sure the whole thing was hosed from the moment the Shadow Lord decided to stop keeping the shades in line, Nier killing him was just what made it irrevocable.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

Y'know, is there a way that talking would have explained it? "You and everyone you know must have your personality subsumed by these green shadow things you've been fighting" would be an awfully hard sell even if Nier hadn't gotten far down his murder-journey

They don't even need to say that much. "If you want to save Yonah, you need to unlock the Sealed Verses, and then take Weiss to Noir."

In fact, that may have been their original plan, but then the Shadowlord jumped the gun and kidnapped Yonah because he didn't trust the plan anymore. That's kind of the thing that ruined the plan. Now, they couldn't put themselves in a reasonable position - Nier was coming for the Shadowlord now, and there was no way he was going to back down, no matter how they explained the situation to him. And if the Shadowlord dies, then... well, the plan can't work. So they either have to position themselves as antagonists, and hope they can stop Nier, or at least convince him to walk away until he eventually dies and they can get another Replicant!Nier out of the freezer... or the whole thing fails regardless.

But I guarantee you, if the Shadowlord hadn't lost his patience and intervened, it would not have been difficult for them to sell Nier on the idea that he would have to sacrifice himself to save Yonah. And yeah, the loss of some humans would be inevitable regardless - but this is one case where it's really easy to make the decision - the death of a few is worth the survival of the rest.

Either way, it sucks that DevPop got the blame. They were doing well until the Shadowlord hosed things up.

apocalypticCritic fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 3, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

The two personalities remain distinct even when recombined. They could work out a time share system while the people who invented the cloning technology figured out how to make some factory-fresh blank bodies.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Tunicate posted:

The two personalities remain distinct even when recombined. They could work out a time share system while the people who invented the cloning technology figured out how to make some factory-fresh blank bodies.

That sounds like kind of a tough sell. Hey, you know those weird shadowy creatures that have been hanging around and occasionally killing people? Yeah, they're going to be possessing your bodies for a while. They'll be in total control but I totally promise that they'll sometimes share. Also, they'll look for a way to get you your body back. What if it's hard or they can't find one? Sucks to be you I guess!

For some reason I don't see that working super well.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Eh, I think there's plenty of blame to go around for humanity's extinction. The following people had a role:

Nier
The Shadowlord
Gestalt Yonah
Devola/Popola Prime
Grimoire Weiss
Grimoire Noir
Kaine

If any one of those people had done things slightly differently, the whole tragedy could have been averted.

Hell, I don't know how but it's probably also Emil's and Beepy's fault somehow.

Edit: And, of course, Caim, Mother Grotesquerie, the US(?) Air Force, etc.

...! fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 3, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

apocalypticCritic posted:

Either way, it sucks that DevPop got the blame. They were doing well until the Shadowlord hosed things up.

I'm frankly wondering how they would've explained things had they even lived. Their entire purpose for hundreds of years was to basically casework for Nier and the Shadowlord both... and then Nier goes and frags the very memory of both of them from everyone's minds. What would be left of DevoPopo's memories in such an event? Hell, they might've been driven insane trying to figure out what the hell happened to their memories.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I mean the real fault is with the humanity for coming up with a really dumb system that ensures everyone keeping it running will snap eventually. It was kinda doomed from the start

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Nina posted:

I mean the real fault is with the humanity for coming up with a really dumb system that ensures everyone keeping it running will snap eventually. It was kinda doomed from the start

Humanity was doomed from the start, the whole Gestalt/Replicant thing was just one last desperate attempt to stave off extinction when all the good options had already failed. Given it lasted for nearly 1500 years, it didn't go all that badly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Qrr posted:

That sounds like kind of a tough sell. Hey, you know those weird shadowy creatures that have been hanging around and occasionally killing people? Yeah, they're going to be possessing your bodies for a while. They'll be in total control but I totally promise that they'll sometimes share. Also, they'll look for a way to get you your body back. What if it's hard or they can't find one? Sucks to be you I guess!

For some reason I don't see that working super well.

Keep in mind that personalities seem to develop the same way.

The question isn't what a normal person would think in that situation, it's what the mad scientists who came up with this plan in the first place would do

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And that's why you don't take suggestions from one Dr. Caulder

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Gun Soccer was happening during the final days of humanity. The United Nations were just going full bonkers at the time

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Dark Id posted:

You will eat your goddamn potatoes with your meatless meat and you will like them or so help me, I’ll work you to the bone, Frank! :argh:

Potatoes! ONLY THROUGH FIRE MAY OUR BODIES BE PURIFIED.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

...! posted:

It occurs to me now that all the Drakengard endings aside from E now potentially mean this Nier world went on hopefully not killing itself until all of a sudden alien invasion a few millennia down the line.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Humanity was doomed the second the replicants started to develop sapience, maybe even before that. Merged Yonah, aka the only real human we ever see in the Nier series outside of the prologue and maybe Emil, still had two warring consciousnesses inside her head and apparently couldn't survive direct sunlight. That doesn't sound like the project was ever going to be successful, even if Noir wasn't a dick.

What humans should have done to survive is turn themselves into adorable skeleton shopkeepers, because that's actually still working great even like three or four apocalypses later.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

...! posted:

The Japan Air Self-Defense Force has Jets.

I think Caim got shot down by Mitsubishi F-2s

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm genuinely confused as to why an endless supply of delicious, nutrient packed potatoes was being portrayed as a bad thing. (Though a Yokopocalypse does seem like a potential price of the kind of devil's bargain I'd have to arrange to be able to eat them every single day...)

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Too much starch and not enough vitamins? I dunno. Plus, if I had to eat potatoes all day, I'd get sick of them too.

Ending P of Drakengard 4 ends with a Potato Apocalypse.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Huh, for decades I thought that after WWII Japan was no longer allowed to have a military and was under the protection of the US. Just looked it up and I was wrong. Where did I get that from?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I love the fact that the only thing that could take Caim down was a goddamn missile straight into his face, followed by a terminal velocity drop as he was flung from his dragon.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

They can have a defensive military not an offensive one. It’s a REAL blurry line though.

They are actually one of the highest military spenders in the world.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Well it was a missile that killed the dragon, and since Caim still had a pact with Angelus he died by proxy. It probably was a good thing for the pilot to have aimed at the softer target of the pair. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alaan posted:

They can have a defensive military not an offensive one. It’s a REAL blurry line though.

They are actually one of the highest military spenders in the world.

Isn't the incumbent PM basically making it his primary goal to actually repeal that so that they're an offensive army outright?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Humanity is overrated. Androids and machines seem to have things running just fine.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Humanity was doomed the second the replicants started to develop sapience, maybe even before that. Merged Yonah, aka the only real human we ever see in the Nier series outside of the prologue and maybe Emil, still had two warring consciousnesses inside her head and apparently couldn't survive direct sunlight. That doesn't sound like the project was ever going to be successful, even if Noir wasn't a dick.

What humans should have done to survive is turn themselves into adorable skeleton shopkeepers, because that's actually still working great even like three or four apocalypses later.

I'm pretty sure merged Yonah could have survived sunlight, and what happened there was she voluntarily left the body into the sunlight to kill herself. So a merged entity would be fine in sunlight unless they wanted to die. Though :yokotaro: means that would still happen a lot.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Isn't the incumbent PM basically making it his primary goal to actually repeal that so that they're an offensive army outright?

The stated goal is to loosen the restrictions to allow Japan to take defensive actions on behalf of their allies. Right now I think they can only defend their own home soil or something like that.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The SDF is how they fight the godzillas.

The weapon story about a demon getting tortured by angels until it can't think for itself reminds me that I have to get a Switch soon. Darn SMT5.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Now that I think about it I'm a little disappointed the Androids never went for giant Maso-infused robots to fight the aliens. Maybe Emil would have had a better memory if a friendly Engels could zip around like a communist Jehuty. Flight units are cool and all but if you ever want to bring glory to mankind you gotta think BIGGER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I love the fact that the only thing that could take Caim down was a goddamn missile straight into his face, followed by a terminal velocity drop as he was flung from his dragon.

To be fair, what probably did him in was Angelus getting hit by the missile and then getting impaled by Tokyo Tower. Given that this is Caim we're talking about, I don't know if a missile would be enough to kill him.

• Locked thread