Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Red Metal posted:

did that new book come out yet

did it add any more battlemaster maneuvers

e: also does it have weapons that aren't simple or martial

Yes, it did.

No, it doesn't.

No, there aren't any new weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I swear its like clockwork

screw off dork

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Red Metal posted:

did that new book come out yet

did it add any more battlemaster maneuvers

e: also does it have weapons that aren't simple or martial

Barbarian
Path of the Ancestral Guardian | Path of the Storm Herald | Path of the Zealot
Bard
College of Glamour | College of Swords | College of Whispers
Cleric
Forge Domain | Grave Domain
Druid
Circle of Dreams | Circle of the Shepherd | Learning Beast Shapes
Fighter
Arcane Archer | Cavalier | Samurai
Monk
Way of the Drunken Master | Way of the Kensei | Way of the Sun Soul
Paladin
Oath of Conquest | Oath of Redemption
Ranger
Gloom Stalker | Horizon Walker | Monster Slayer
Rogue
Inquisitive | Mastermind | Scout | Swashbuckler
Sorcerer
Divine Soul | Shadow Magic | Storm Sorcery
Warlock
The Celestial | The Hexblade | Eldritch Invocations
Wizard
War Magic
This Is Your Life
Origins | Personal Decisions | Life Events
Racial Feats
Ch 2: Dungeon Master's Tools
Simultaneous Effects
Falling
Rate of Falling | Flying Creatures and Falling
Sleep
Waking Someone | Sleeping in Armor | Going without a Long Rest
Adamantine Weapons
Tying Knots
Tool Proficiencies
Tools and Skills Together | Tool Descriptions
Spellcasting
Perceiving a Caster at Work | Identifying a Spell | Invalid Spell Targets | Areas of Effect on a Grid
Encounter Building
Quick Matchups
Random Encounters: A World of Possibilities
Arctic | Coastal | Desert | Forest | Grassland | Hill | Mountain | Swamp | Underdark | Underwater | Urban
Traps Revisited
Simple Traps | Designing Simple Traps
Complex Traps | Designing Complex Traps
Downtime Revisited
Rivals
Downtime Activities
Buying a Magic Item | Carousing | Crafting an Item | Crime | Gambling | Pit Fighting | Relaxation | Religious Service | Research | Scribing a Spell Scroll | Selling a Magic Item | Training | Work
Awarding Magic Items
Common Magic Items | Magic Item Tables
Ch 3: Spells
Spell Lists | Spell Descriptions
Appendix A: Shared Campaigns
Appendix B: Character Names
Nonhuman Names | Human Names
Credits

Is what comes in the book.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sage Genesis posted:

No, there aren't any new weapons.

There are mods though!

Adamantium weapon: Cost = list price of weapon + 500gp. Automatically crit when you hit an object.

Except stretched out to three paragraphs.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 4, 2017

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
It's not mutually exclusive with silver, so put a silver coating on your adamantine weapons for only 100gp more. It's the next best thing to a magic weapon*!

*Adamantine armor is magic armor. Adamantine weapons are not magic weapons. I don't think there's any explanation for this that makes sense, so really it's just because they put one in the DMG magic items table, and not the other.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AlphaDog posted:

There are mods though!

Adamantium weapon: Cost = list price of weapon + 500gp. Automatically crit when you hit an object.

Except stretched out to three paragraphs.

Suddenly every paladin and rogue wants one of these.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Soylent Pudding posted:

Suddenly every paladin and rogue wants one of these.

Gonna smite those doors real hard.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't think I've ever played with a GM that used item hardness and HP. If someone wanted to bust down a door, they did, unless it was Adamantine. Then they still bust it down if they had something that made sense, otherwise it hung firm.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

UP AND ADAM posted:

screw off dork

we have a good many pages of charop, dm/player experiences and advice, mechanics talk, then as soon as someone even insinuates something vaguely negative about 5e suddently the thread is actually constant whining.

Itd be funny if it wasnt pathetic.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

mango sentinel posted:

Gonna smite those doors real hard.

Misread that. I guess my current GM did too because he let our barbarian get an admantine ax that crit against enemies. So what use is only crits against objects? I guess breaking doors and windows but how often does that come up?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Soylent Pudding posted:

Misread that. I guess my current GM did too because he let our barbarian get an admantine ax that crit against enemies. So what use is only crits against objects? I guess breaking doors and windows but how often does that come up?

My party busts down the door at a pretty regular basis.
They goddamn love busting down doors for some reason.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't think I've ever played with a GM that used item hardness and HP. If someone wanted to bust down a door, they did, unless it was Adamantine. Then they still bust it down if they had something that made sense, otherwise it hung firm.

I've had to play through more scenarios involving these rules than you might believe and while they are pretty silly, I wouldn't mind them overall if AC didn't suddenly mean something else for objects. If it's impossible for my dagger to chip a steel beam it should just be impossible; not have a high AC that's totally independent of what I'm attacking it with. Instead I roll a 15 and add my +6 attack bonus to determine that I do cut through mythril with my iron knife, then roll to see how much I chip off of it. I don't get it. :shrug:

3.5's rules on it were similarly stupid but objects at least had "hardness" (damage resistance) that effectively meant it was hard to chip away with a weak weapon, and you could also use a full round action to guarantee hitting the object. I think in a hypothetical revision of the rules for damaging objects I'd say throw out AC entirely, and replace that AC by object material chart with a Hardness chart. Hardness is a damage threshold you have to beat to damage its integrity. You never roll to hit a stationary object; you only roll to see how much damage you do and hope it's higher than the hardness. And of course only something like iron or better would have hardness at all.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In my games it's never a matter of if, but more a matter of how fast. Also possibly how quiet. But usually it doesn't matter that much. An adamantine dagger did still show up on the convenient tool wish list quite often on 3.5. It's always nice to have to be able give treasure that doesn't really change much, but does feel like a big deal.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I think one of my favorite magic items I was given was a spoon that could carve out a small bit of anything no matter the hardness, and it would do so with little to no resistance. You could tunnel through earth with significantly less effort than using a pickaxe, but it would still take a while because it's a spoon. I think using it in battle was a touch attack or whatever would be the equivalent of ignoring armor in the game we were playing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Nickoten posted:

I think one of my favorite magic items I was given was a spoon that could carve out a small bit of anything no matter the hardness, and it would do so with little to no resistance. You could tunnel through earth with significantly less effort than using a pickaxe, but it would still take a while because it's a spoon. I think using it in battle was a touch attack or whatever would be the equivalent of ignoring armor in the game we were playing.

Spoon of Shawshaking?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Soylent Pudding posted:

The previous functionality of Adamantine items is that they were unbreakable and would ignore Hardness. Basically everyone would keep an adamantine knife or whatever around in case you needed to cut chains or bars etc. Because Hardness isn't a thing in 5e, this was their solution to show it being extra destructive to objects.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I played with a Warlord whose alignment was "busts down doors". And she did it every chance she got.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I played with a Warlord whose alignment was "busts down doors". And she did it every chance she got.

I played a Paladin whose alignment was 'hero' and that involved busting down doors in almost any situation a door was present.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

kingcom posted:

I played a Paladin whose alignment was 'hero' and that involved busting down doors in almost any situation a door was present.

Proper heroic alignment should involve never using the door when you can jump in a window or crash through a skylight.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

My very first campaign ever playing D&D involved a druid in the party who had some sort of issue simply opening doors. She elected instead to always, and I mean always, kick in the door.

Eventually she was given a pair of boots that were specifically designed to kick doors off their hinges. They got a lot of mileage.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
gently caress I’d love a group that kicks doors down, I always end up with elaborate planners that never square anything off.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

Proper heroic alignment should involve never using the door when you can jump in a window or crash through a skylight.

I played Dungeon World with a guy who's PC never once used the door you'd expect him to come though. Always a window, a skylight, a weak spot in the wall, busted through the roof, slid down the chimney, snuck into the cellar and burst up through the floorboards, climbed up through the garderobe, etc. If he had to use a door, it wasn't the logical one and he'd always smash through it.

His best effort was arriving at a negotiation by crashing through the roof on his "flying owlbear" (the druid in bear form + owl mask, launched from a trebuchet).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 4, 2017

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Soylent Pudding posted:

My party bought a miniature ram (door breaker, not sheep), just so they could break open doors more efficiently.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Angrymog posted:

My party bought a miniature ram (door breaker, not sheep), just so they could break open doors more efficiently.

A great injustice was dealt to your party.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I remember battering rams being in 3e equipment lists, it’s a pretty useful bit of gear even if it’s heavy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My players decimated that giant boar. He never stood a chance. Didn't get to do poo poo.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I must say I love the "Treasure Chest Mimic" trope because nobody suspects anything other than treasure chests of being mimics. Last night my party's Paladin saw an interesting looking book lying open on a desk, and basically had her face bitten off when she tried to take a closer look at it (luckily the Monk didn't go in for the peek or he would have seen that there were no pages). It was an exciting little encounter, and the party's surprise was very fun to witness.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Lori posted:

I must say I love the "Treasure Chest Mimic" trope because nobody suspects anything other than treasure chests of being mimics. Last night my party's Paladin saw an interesting looking book lying open on a desk, and basically had her face bitten off when she tried to take a closer look at it (luckily the Monk didn't go in for the peek or he would have seen that there were no pages). It was an exciting little encounter, and the party's surprise was very fun to witness.

There was a chest that we were all worried was a mimic a few sessions ago. We took all these precautions, approached it, turns out the floor was fake and collapsed. Chest was fine. Then in the new room, a random crate turned out to be a mimic!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lori posted:

We saw a rust monster making a beeline for a chest. I popped expeditious retreat, sprinted around it, and promptly got mimicked in the face ~80 feet from the party tank. I genuinely have no complaints.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Kill 6 Billion Demons takes dungeons with mimics to a whole new level. I want to present something of that absurd magnitude to my group sometime.

Of course, I probably won't have a group after that, so I'll wait till the last session.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm planning to show my players a room like in Prey where everything is labelled "not a mimic" with magical sticky notes.

The trick is nearly everything was a mimic mimicking the notes :v:

Also the giant venus fly trap room with the treasure-shaped fruit. Not technically a mimic, because it's the room that will try to bite you rather than the chest.

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.
Hello Im coming to the SA D&D 5e thread again for character build advice because my first PC just hit level 4 and this is hard.

Kobold dex-build Paladin, Oath of Crown, relevant stats are 20 dex/16 cha/15 con (woo) and I'm considering my options between feats and just taking the ASI.

- Put 1 point in Con and 1 in his other uneven score, Int (DM did advise that Paladins usually dump Int, but it would bring his negative modifier up to 0)
- Put 2 points in Charisma
- Take Sentinel, which would've come in handy in our last fight
- Take a feat that bumps up that Con -- Gourmand sounds like a hilarious option, and the DM also said he could take the Dragon Hide feat, though he couldn't really take advantage of unarmored bonus since Paladin
- Say gently caress it and take the kobold feat that came with the expanded racial feats they packaged with XGTE, which is a waste of ASI (+1 dex) but gives at-will flight. I just don't know how much in-combat benefits that would afford us seeing as this dude is our tank, but it'd be really cool.
- Take an entirely different feat? (Lucky and Alert both look crazy good)

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

gandhichan posted:

Hello Im coming to the SA D&D 5e thread again for character build advice because my first PC just hit level 4 and this is hard.

Kobold dex-build Paladin, Oath of Crown, relevant stats are 20 dex/16 cha/15 con (woo) and I'm considering my options between feats and just taking the ASI.

- Put 1 point in Con and 1 in his other uneven score, Int (DM did advise that Paladins usually dump Int, but it would bring his negative modifier up to 0)
- Take a feat that bumps up that Con -- Gourmand sounds like a hilarious option, and the DM also said he could take the Dragon Hide feat, though he couldn't really take advantage of unarmored bonus since Paladin
- Say gently caress it and take the kobold feat that came with the expanded racial feats they packaged with XGTE, which is a waste of ASI (+1 dex) but gives at-will flight. I just don't know how much in-combat benefits that would afford us seeing as this dude is our tank, but it'd be really cool.

Resilient for +1 Con and proficiency in Con Saving throws may be a valid option for you. If you see your paladin casting concentration spells like Compelled Duel and later Aura of Vitality and Spirit Guardians, if would help you maintain concentration on those mid combat.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gandhichan posted:

Take Sentinel

Take an entirely different feat? (Lucky and Alert both look crazy good)

Sentinel has been really useful both times I've tried to be a tank.

Lucky can get stupid good, but I'm not sure it'll be that great if you play more defensively.

Alert doesn't seem like a tank thing to me. Getting to move earlier is likely less useful to you than being able to stop an opponent's move. If you fight a lot of sneaky/hidden opponents it could be really great though, and not getting surprised is going to be helpful if surprise comes up often enough for you guys that you'll actually use it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

gandhichan posted:

+2 Charisma or Resilient (Constitution)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm planning to show my players a room like in Prey where everything is labelled "not a mimic" with magical sticky notes.

The trick is nearly everything was a mimic mimicking the notes :v:

The best part about that room is the health pack on the ground without a label on it that I still instinctively went to grab. The thing turning into a mimic and attacking me was less a shock and more "I don't know what I expected'.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

gandhichan posted:

My personal pick would be +2 Charisma, because you're not far off from level 6 where you get your aura.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

gandhichan posted:

It depends on your own priorities; you have a lot of good choices. The clear winners imo are Resilient: Con for personal tankiness and survivability, Sentinel for combat effectiveness as a tank, +2 Cha for a litany of bonuses to all your utility features and casting, and Lucky which is an incredibly fun trump to keep in your pocket if your DM lets you rest and recover those dice on the reg.

Where's this Kobold thing, which I'm not seeing in Xanathar's? Depending on what restrictions apply, it might be worth considering. Tanks need to be able to get around obstacle and terrain-laden battlefields, and the value of flight as non-combat utility is tremendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wizard on a water slide posted:

It depends on your own priorities; you have a lot of good choices. The clear winners imo are Resilient: Con for personal tankiness and survivability, Sentinel for combat effectiveness as a tank, +2 Cha for a litany of bonuses to all your utility features and casting, and Lucky which is an incredibly fun trump to keep in your pocket if your DM lets you rest and recover those dice on the reg.

Where's this Kobold thing, which I'm not seeing in Xanathar's? Depending on what restrictions apply, it might be worth considering. Tanks need to be able to get around obstacle and terrain-laden battlefields, and the value of flight as non-combat utility is tremendous.

Expanded Racial Feats was something you got if you preordered Xanathars on D&D beyond

You can get it here instead. http://www.dmsguild.com/product/226194/Expanded-Racial-Feats