Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Real talk: do people in here try to reconcile their enjoyment of art with the artist being a fuckhead or what? I find it tough since I'm a big Spacey fan and I'd like to watch his films and appreciate the art of it, but I'm not sure that's possible.

It's a real problem. Being a wrestling nerd back in the day it was real hosed up when Chris Benoit killed his family and then himself. Being older and having young kids I don't have time to watch wrasslin' but if I did watching his old matches would be reeeeeeeeeeal uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JBP posted:

Real talk: do people in here try to reconcile their enjoyment of art with the artist being a fuckhead or what? I find it tough since I'm a big Spacey fan and I'd like to watch his films and appreciate the art of it, but I'm not sure that's possible.

You throw all their stuff in the bin and move on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Synthbuttrange posted:

You throw all their stuff in the bin and move on.

This is generally how I proceed, but it's more difficult when it's one of your top things/people to enjoy.

It's also interesting listening to people talk about formative acts or mentors, like all comedians and Cosby. It must be loving weird and hard to see the influence of a bad man in your own work.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JBP posted:

I've reached a point of giving up once i started a film and saw The Weinstein Company and realised the tendrils are in too deep to throw everything out. I'm a hypocrite too as i've been doing this for years - i knew Roman Polanski and Woody Allen as everyone did before this all blew up but still will talk up how great Match Point is and that The Pianist is the greatest holocaust movie of all time. Its the probably artificial balance of saying the art is brilliant and disassociating it from the artist.

Pre film i did this with finding out that Salvador Dali was a literal fascist, literal sadist and a literal abuser. Despise the man but cant use it to disregard his works.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What sort of fuckhead sells their family heirlooms when their life's not in danger? I'm honestly stunned.

Silverware in this case refers to nationalised assets and hard time means the party donors want some next to free poo poo.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My approach is feel free to enjoy whatever it is, but do not do anything that could support them. Like you can enjoy Wagner and Strauss (who were Nazis) because none of your money is going to support white supremacists and they're both dead, but not see say, movies with Johnny Depp in them, as your money and participation could be seen as a green light to continue employing a domestic abuser.

Lid posted:

Pre film i did this with finding out that Salvador Dali was a literal fascist, literal sadist and a literal abuser. Despise the man but cant use it to disregard his works.

Goddamit. I'm starting to think that everyone I liked from history was awful. It's actually probably more like, everyone from history was awful though.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Zenithe posted:

My approach is feel free to enjoy whatever it is, but do not do anything that could support them. Like you can enjoy Wagner and Strauss (who were Nazis) because none of your money is going to support white supremacists and they're both dead, but not see say, movies with Johnny Depp in them, as your money and participation could be seen as a green light to continue employing a domestic abuser.

Goddamit. I'm starting to think that everyone I liked from history was awful. It's actually probably more like, everyone from history was awful though.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2009/jun/09/george-orwell-art-critic-salvador-dali

quote:

After his return to Catalonia post World War II, Dalí moved closer to the authoritarian regime of Francisco Franco. Some of Dalí's statements were supportive, congratulating Franco for his actions aimed "at clearing Spain of destructive forces".[117] Dalí, having returned to the Catholic faith and becoming increasingly religious as time went on, may have been referring to the Republican atrocities during the Spanish Civil War.[118][119] Dalí sent telegrams to Franco, praising him for signing death warrants for prisoners.[117] He even met Franco personally,[120] and painted a portrait of Franco's granddaughter.[121]

http://www.orwell.ru/library/reviews/dali/english/e_dali

It's most apparent in George Orwell's writings. Orwell fought in the Spanish Civil War, while Dali was best friends with Franco/.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Rowan Dean also argued earlier this year that if women don't want to dress however their bosses want them to dress they can just find another job.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Yeah I struggle with it. It really is a tragedy that I’ll never be able to fully enjoy Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare again.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What sort of fuckhead sells their family heirlooms when their life's not in danger? I'm honestly stunned.

lovely analogy as well since it's more like selling the family home and then renting it off the new owner.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zenithe posted:

My approach is feel free to enjoy whatever it is, but do not do anything that could support them. Like you can enjoy Wagner and Strauss (who were Nazis)
I agree with your point overall but it's a bit more complex than that for Strauss, and Wagner (who was definitely anti-semetic) died 6 years before Hitler was born.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
One can enjoy CAD while understanding that Tim Buckley has flaws as an individual.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah I struggle with it. It really is a tragedy that I’ll never be able to fully enjoy Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare again.

Not going to lie, I loved having Spacey's head popping up telling me to do poo poo in that game. It's why I bought a COD game for the first time since MW :negative:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Birdstrike posted:

One can enjoy CAD while understanding that Tim Buckley has flaws as an individual.

I hit myself with a riding crop every time McAfee blocks a virus.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birdstrike posted:

Frank Miller's Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns and Daredevil runs

then ignoring literally everything after the 80s

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

JBP posted:

I think it depends on the level of intimacy of the work and the extent to which the individual artist is responsible for the work. So with Polanski, it's reasonably easy to put him being reprehensible into the background because unless you believe in auteur theory whole hog there are a million other creative inputs going into his movies. Polanski isn't the film. He's a part of the film, yes, but is it really ok to jettison the work of all the other, not rapey people that worked on it? The cinematography, AD, the cast, set designer, etc?

Down the other end of the scale, you have comedians. The comic is the entire show, and it's usually very intimate. You are being asked to laugh along with the perspective of this single individual and listen to only their voice. I don't think I'll be able to ever watch Louis CKs standup ever again, particularly as he spends half of it talking about his impulsivity and masturbation habits.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Auspol January: Kevin Spacey Appreciation Station

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Surely to god the revelation that Louis CK is a loving creep has to go down as one of the least surprising things ever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Surely to god the revelation that Louis CK is a loving creep has to go down as one of the least surprising things ever.

Pretty much. Also this scandal is 100% on brand and he will be back saying "so... I hosed up" and getting big contrite laughs.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Zenithe posted:

You can enjoy Wagner, he was never a Nazi as he died in 1883. Nazis did enjoy the poo poo out of his music though and appropriated his work.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

JBP posted:

i just found out china mieville has a serious history of domestic abuse and psychological terrorism of women, he was literally the only man left alive whose work i could enjoy without guilt and now i don't know wtf i'm supposed to read

but that is nothing compared to the pain of losing my favourite film of all time, pay it forward

Tardscream
Nov 3, 2007

Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.
I think requiring ideological purity to enjoy art is contrary to art. Horace and Pete was really good despite cks wanking hand being all over it's production.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
For me, the biggest "oh poo poo this guy turned out to be an rear end in a top hat" moment was Lance Armstrong's cameo in Dodgeball, which was in my mind one of the funniest movie cameos of all time.

But at the same time, I mean, literally everyone knew Lance Armstrong was cheating, but it kind of made the scene less funny for a while when it became official. I've gone back to being able to watch the scene and laugh at how amazing it is, but I also recognize that "guy cheats in sport where literally everyone else is also cheating" is a much lower standard of badness than "guy has been sexually harassing women for years."

The biggest one for me is going to be arrested development. I don't think I can watch it with much enjoyment anymore knowing that Jeffrey Tambor is a sexual predator.

I'll probably cry if Matt Damon gets caught up in this and I can't watch Jason Bourne movies anymore though, TBH.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What would Slavoj Zizek say about this?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Freudian Slip posted:

You can enjoy Wagner, he was never a Nazi as he died in 1883. Nazis did enjoy the poo poo out of his music though and appropriated his work.

he had some Problematic opinions about jews to put it mildly

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
guess who was by all accounts a wonderful husband and father who treated all the women in his life with respect? ariel!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What would Slavoj Zizek say about this?

*sniff*

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
i cling to leonard cohen's ghost with desperation because he was never accused of anything, ever, in his life. but he's only been dead a year and the nasty little voice whispers to me, you know he did something, it's going to come out eventually

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
i'm a big paul kelly fan too but given the subject matter and tone of some of his songs i can't even pretend nothing has gone on there, it's just a matter of time

e:

JBP posted:

When is the Tarantino stuff going to happen? How is that man clean?
lol i keep thinking this. there is no way. there is no way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When is the Tarantino stuff going to happen? How is that man clean?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

HookShot posted:

I'll probably cry if Matt Damon gets caught up in this and I can't watch Jason Bourne movies anymore though, TBH.

A NYT journalist says that years ago he got her story on Weinstein allegations killed before it was published.

edit: I just looked and she went back on that so enjoy the Bourne movies....for now.....

snoremac fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 4, 2017

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

HookShot posted:

you will have to become the next bourne

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

pokemon posted:

i just found out china mieville has a serious history of domestic abuse and psychological terrorism of women, he was literally the only man left alive whose work i could enjoy without guilt and now i don't know wtf i'm supposed to read

The Fountainhead

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Seconding Jeffrey Tambor being the big one for me, well

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
George Christensen outs himself as anonymous MP as Bolt accuses him of behaving 'badly'

Renegade Coalition backbencher admits to being unnamed MP who threatened to quit the government

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Although I do think the intense othering and monstering of anyone who is accused of predatory behaviour is perhaps hiding the real horror: that it is actually mundane, widespread, and carried out by otherwise seemingly normal men

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

snoremac posted:

A NYT journalist says that years ago he got her story on Weinstein allegations killed before it was published.

Yeah. Now think about the time he went apeshit defending teachers and all the other time (not money) he donates to good causes.

I watched an interview with Chris Rock talking about Cosby and he was just mentally hamstrung. Like he couldn't figure a way to reconcile Cosby the inspiration and black man with Cosby the sex fuckhead.

People are too complex.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

pokemon posted:

i'm a big paul kelly fan too but given the subject matter and tone of some of his songs i can't even pretend nothing has gone on there, it's just a matter of time

He's done all the dumb things.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

He's done all the dumb things.
i love that song :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Like the story can tend to turn into “wow look at these Hollywood sickos” rather than “abuse is rife, even amongst high profile men with a reputation to protect, victims are everywhere, even amongst women who appear far more powerful and with more agency than most”

• Locked thread