Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i got an og oculus DK1 from some disillusioned nerd when the facebook buyout happened. there's a very limited subset of games that work well in vr, everything else is at best clunky and usually more trying to find a way to adapt the content to an interface it's not really designed for.

the stuff that works well (e.g. space/flight/racing sims) is really engrossing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

also bideo james, does anyone else have a VR setup? I got a vive in the sales and it feels like the 0.1 pre-alpha of what games could be like if everything works out.

i have the gear vr, the one for phones. it's neat to gently caress around with while stoned

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

make sure to bind the horn key

i need to rebind it to, idk, mouse4 or something cuz i don't use it enough.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I got like four levels in where you get to use the big tall stacked up tower vehicle and it got suddenly unforgiving, it's gone in my backburner pile.

i think they've added some stuff since release to make things a little easier. like a few options for tweaking the controls, and also a slider for game speed so if poo poo is whizzing around you can slow it all down. i've found it's one of those games where you need to take a little time to practice and experiment, and luckily it is perfect for that, they really don't put any bullshit in the way of just farting around and blowing poo poo up. like they added a pilot that when played causes no enemies to spawn (but you also get only a tiny payout), so that helps in practicing vehicle controls.

has anyone read the brigador book? any good? the in-game lore is cool as hell.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

90% of the games i play are flight/space/army sims so i really do want a vr thingy to screw around with it

i'm still waiting for version 2 but yeaaaarrrrgh

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

VR seems like most cyberpunk concepts: sounds/looks awesome in books/movies, but when actually implemented in reality is kinda lame at best and utterly impractical at worst

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SO DEMANDING posted:

i need to rebind it to, idk, mouse4 or something cuz i don't use it enough.

i think they've added some stuff since release to make things a little easier. like a few options for tweaking the controls, and also a slider for game speed so if poo poo is whizzing around you can slow it all down. i've found it's one of those games where you need to take a little time to practice and experiment, and luckily it is perfect for that, they really don't put any bullshit in the way of just farting around and blowing poo poo up. like they added a pilot that when played causes no enemies to spawn (but you also get only a tiny payout), so that helps in practicing vehicle controls.

has anyone read the brigador book? any good? the in-game lore is cool as hell.

i liked the ebook a whole lot

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
my friend has one of the vr things and I tried playing super hot the game where time freezes when you dont move and it was really cool for the ten minutes I played

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

infernal machines posted:

i got an og oculus DK1 from some disillusioned nerd when the facebook buyout happened. there's a very limited subset of games that work well in vr, everything else is at best clunky and usually more trying to find a way to adapt the content to an interface it's not really designed for.

the stuff that works well (e.g. space/flight/racing sims) is really engrossing though

the one game i am always curious about for vr is skyrim. have you tried that?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RFC2324 posted:

skyrim vr is psvr-exclusive right now. visually it can be really astonishing, especially interiors which I wasn't expecting. cave rocks, vaulted ceilings, buttresses etc looming overhead. rooms full of npcs walking around and interacting all around you. it's the entire game content so that's like 20x the stuff to do of any other vr title right now. the motion controls let you draw bows, waggle melee weapons, and direct spells with your hands. somehow bethesda managed to get the whole thing running at a rock solid vr-ready framerate too

SO DEMANDING posted:

VR seems like most cyberpunk concepts: sounds/looks awesome in books/movies, but when actually implemented in reality is kinda lame at best and utterly impractical at worst

vr works but yeah you have to make a lot of room for it in your house and life. the people who think it will replace 2D gaming entirely are crazy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

also bideo james, does anyone else have a VR setup? I got a vive in the sales and it feels like the 0.1 pre-alpha of what games could be like if everything works out.

I bought a vive also during the amazon CYBER MONDAY sale. I had used one before so I knew what to expect, but yeah some of it is a little rough. However, there are some pretty dang fun games in there like fantastic contraptions and windlands. you probably got fo4 vr w/ ur bundle like I did and that will be interesting when its finally released.

also the bundle I got came w/ the vive "deluxe" audio strap and its way, way better than the included strap.

one of the things that's really incredible is when you have well animated and voiced characters in VR cause it is amazingly real.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RFC2324 posted:

yes*

*waaay before it was supported, using a d3d wrapper hack, and the 1st gen oculus dev kit, so my experience is not representative of the current one

it was quite immersive and seing those vistas first person as if you're there was impressive even on the painfully low res DK1. there were a lot of graphical glitches due to the d3d wrapper thing, but that's obviously not the case with the official release. depending on how your brain handles scenery moving when you're physically sitting still, you may not end up enjoying it much. somehow that doesn't bother me, so it was quite a bit of fun to play around with.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

somehow bethesda managed to get the whole thing running at a rock solid vr-ready framerate too

I'd imagine that "somehow" is running a 2011 video game at TV resolution in 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

I'd imagine that "somehow" is running a 2011 video game at TV resolution in 2017

it's bethesda so this still took everyone by surprise

and yeah it looks like the PS3 original, except at 60fps 1080p (more really because of how a vr rendering pipeline works)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

haveblue posted:

skyrim vr is psvr-exclusive right now. visually it can be really astonishing, especially interiors which I wasn't expecting. cave rocks, vaulted ceilings, buttresses etc looming overhead. rooms full of npcs walking around and interacting all around you. it's the entire game content so that's like 20x the stuff to do of any other vr title right now. the motion controls let you draw bows, waggle melee weapons, and direct spells with your hands. somehow bethesda managed to get the whole thing running at a rock solid vr-ready framerate too

that sucks. i'm pc only and skyrim was the main drive i had to get a vr rig

e: just looked it up and its being released for the vive next year so yay!

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 3, 2017

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wait is that why Skyrim is in tv ads in TYOOL 2017?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lancemantis posted:

yep. also switch version

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lancemantis posted:

they released the pc version for consoles now that the ps4p and xbonex are out.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ah

Bethesda: we’re too busy becoming valve 2 to make elder scrolls games, guess we’ll just rerelease this one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're still selling skyrims so why do new stuff?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

lancemantis posted:

ah

Bethesda: we’re too busy becoming valve 2 to make elder scrolls games, guess we’ll just rerelease this one

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Shaggar posted:

Why make a new engine when gamebyro works just fine, we even added dynamic lighting in Fallout 4 to it!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i hope they never do. gamebryo fuckups are a significant portion of the fun in gambryo games

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

infernal machines posted:

i hope they never do. gamebryo fuckups are a significant portion of the fun in gambryo games

Knowing how bad of programmers Bethesda is think of how many fuckups could happen with an in house engine.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

this thread made me buy brigador and my girlfriend told me to wear headphones when playing it lol. she usually complains that she can't hear what im playing

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

bump_fn posted:

anyone play this extremely cyberpunk looking game Observer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvK4l-nvWwI

Don't take my word for it because I'm new here, but I got the impression that the game was what a game would look like if they put the budget and production behind a summer blockbuster sci fi movie into developing it.

It's pretty good.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quote:

"Thanks to our friends at Google," explains crowdfunding website DonorsChoose.org, "4th-8th grade public school teachers who engage their students in a 'Create your own Google logo' Hour of Code activity can earn a $100 DonorsChoose.org gift code -- and have the opportunity to receive one of five other grand prizes (including $5,000 in DonorsChoose.org credits for your school!)."
Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment arriving right on time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

TimWinter posted:

Don't take my word for it because I'm new here, but I got the impression that the game was what a game would look like if they put the budget and production behind a summer blockbuster sci fi movie into developing it.

It's pretty good.

almost every AAA game costs more than a summer blockbuster nowadays. cod-mow 2 cost 200 million, compare to thor ragnarok, 180 million

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
(lol codmow2 was the most expensive vidyagame of all time)
(realistically, they're comparable tho)

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Why are they churning out generic bullshit then

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

TimWinter posted:

which

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
yes

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

TimWinter posted:

gamers have no memory or self control

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I was gonna buy brigador but #yospos irc told me it was a bad goon project.
it was on sale at the time, too. dang

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SpaceAceJase posted:

as a steam game it will be on sale again and again and again over the next several months (doesnt steam usually have a big xmas sale?)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SpaceAceJase posted:

get it, all it's old problems are gone and you can be a cool skeleton man in a tuk tuk blaring this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRGMAW1wzQ8&hd=1

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

almost every AAA game costs more than a summer blockbuster nowadays. cod-mow 2 cost 200 million, compare to thor ragnarok, 180 million

thor rag owned

was it funny tho for people who arent kiwis i hope so

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SpaceAceJase posted:

lol brigador is really good and those people are morons

echinopsis posted:

thor rag owned

was it funny tho for people who arent kiwis i hope so

it was v funny

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
extremely funny here in the good old u s of a

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I kind of hit a wall in difficulty on the campaign levels of brigador but oh well, now I'm spending my time in freelance experimenting with new and exciting ways to blow poo poo up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SO DEMANDING posted:

I kind of hit a wall in difficulty on the campaign levels of brigador but oh well, now I'm spending my time in freelance experimenting with new and exciting ways to blow poo poo up

pretty much! I just had a fun run with Chook/Galinha/Chuffer/AKP

• Locked thread