Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

carry on then posted:

Rodgers will be playing by Week 16.

Good. Barr can get another piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

me October 15:

quote:

Ah yes, remember that time Rodgers broke his collarbone?

2013, week 9. He'd return week 17

If you wanna know how that went for the division, and especially the Lions, who were first in the division, won at Soldier Field for the first time since '07, won their first Thanksgiving game (and against GB!) since '03, and needed just 3 wins to make playoffs:

2013, Weeks 10-16:
Packers: 2-4-1
Vikings: 3-3-1
Bears: 3-4
Lions: 2-5

lol

Good news, the Vikings have done well post-Rodgers this time. Otherwise,

Packers: 2-4
Bears: 1-5
Lions: 3-3 when they needed to be 4-2 at least during this span to have the wildcard spot

Chris James 2 posted:

time is an endless circle

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Has anyone said the Lions should hire Kaepernick yet

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Lions are complete poo poo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good Will Hrunting posted:

The Packers have two running backs who have played really really well without Rodgers. Highlight of the season.

Between AJ and Williams I'm muuuuch more confident about the future of this offense after this season. Rodgers with two legit run threats? Spooky

AJ's and Williams's styles complement each other well, too.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The Detroit loving Lions

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

fishing with the fam posted:

I'm not too bothered by what he has done with the roster, but I am really annoyed that he went all in on Trubisky but kept this woefully unprepared coaching staff in place. They are clearly not prepared to develop a young QB.

Edit: To be more clear, I am okay with what Pace has done on the defensive side of the ball. He has clearly failed on the offensive side though.

Trubisky might just suck.

Bears defense also isn't even that good.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Yeah, I'm afraid Trubs might just be a bust.

The defense is middle of the pack. They have the talent to be pretty darn good if they weren't so injury riddled.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm pretty sure you could have god himself as quarterback and it wouldn't save the John Fox Bears

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm pretty sure you could have god himself as quarterback and it wouldn't save the John Fox Bears

Give us Rodgers, we'll find out. I believe it's impossible for a healthy Rodgers to miss the playoffs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fishing with the fam posted:

Yeah, I'm afraid Trubs might just be a bust.

Jared Goff looked like a bust last year. You guys need to fire Fox pronto.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Reminder that Ryan Pace gave Mike Glennon $19 million in guaranteed money.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

SKULL.GIF posted:

Jared Goff looked like a bust last year. You guys need to fire Fox pronto.

This coming off season is immensely important to the next 5-10 years of Bears football. If they blow their next head coaching hire, we are probably right back to the beginning of the rebuild cycle in 3 or 4 years.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Are we ever going to get people saying Stafford's career was wasted in Detroit, or is it just widely assumed he couldn't have done better anywhere else

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Chris James 2 posted:

Are we ever going to get people saying Stafford's career was wasted in Detroit, or is it just widely assumed he couldn't have done better anywhere else

I've seen that idea from a few die hard Lions fans after the Thanksgiving game.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
News:

https://twitter.com/Justin_Rogers/status/937433284350496768

Views:

https://twitter.com/qdiggs6/status/937437590030110720

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
Fire the lions

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

alright, only one more week of Hundley Hell...

and it's against the Browns...

surely this will turn out alrigh *ignores the 25 years of accumulated franchise karma which towers overhead, waiting to topple over*

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Stafford is a good loving QB and he's being wasted on the Lions.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
In the best timeline the Lions sign Kaepernick to finish out the season, he plays well, then Stafford has a slow start next year.

:getin:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I like Caldwell, but he's got to be done in Detroit. The team plays for him, but the lack of preparation each week just constantly puts us into holes that it's incredibly difficult to get out of. The Lions have some substantial talent on both offense and defense, and surely there has to be someone out there who can take them to the next level.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
There are a handful of QBs that would have done way better in better organizations, as well as a handful of organizations that would have been way better had they drafted better QBs. Rivers, Stafford, and Romo come to mind immediately.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I like Caldwell, but he's got to be done in Detroit. The team plays for him, but the lack of preparation each week just constantly puts us into holes that it's incredibly difficult to get out of. The Lions have some substantial talent on both offense and defense, and surely there has to be someone out there who can take them to the next level.

can I interest you in an Ernest Dominic "Dom" Capers?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lions last four games are @Bucs, vBears, @Bengals, vPack.

I don't think the Lions are a bad enough team to bungle the Bucs-Bears-Bengals run but :shrug:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lions last four games are @Bucs, vBears, @Bengals, vPack.

I don't think the Lions are a bad enough team to bungle the Bucs-Bears-Bengals run but :shrug:

They aren't, but even if the team somehow does make a wildcard run it's clear that it'll end the way it did the last two times-with a blowout loss in the wildcard round. There's just too many holes and too much inconsistency to believe this team is capable of... anything, really, While I'm somewhat optimistic for next season, assuming we can do something to address the gaping holes on the offensive line, the team as it stands isn't going anywhere.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They aren't, but even if the team somehow does make a wildcard run it's clear that it'll end the way it did the last two times-with a blowout loss in the wildcard round. There's just too many holes and too much inconsistency to believe this team is capable of... anything, really, While I'm somewhat optimistic for next season, assuming we can do something to address the gaping holes on the offensive line, the team as it stands isn't going anywhere.

My main worry is that the defence just looked totally inept. Like, there were times it looked like they were physically incapable of tackling runners, and this is before the "9 men on the field" play. I know there are injuries but man...

I'm really not sure where the Lions go from here. It feels like we will never actually win anything with Caldwell & co, but equally Lions history shows it can be a hell of a lot worse, and I'm not sure I'm ready to take the leap of faith with a new coach yet.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

DET v GB for 6th wild card?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

OxySnake posted:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

OxySnake posted:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

OxySnake posted:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i'd like that to occur as well

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

OxySnake posted:

LET'S GO!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I’d prefer a world where Green Bay loses every game by art least 30 points

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MikeCrotch posted:

My main worry is that the defence just looked totally inept. Like, there were times it looked like they were physically incapable of tackling runners, and this is before the "9 men on the field" play. I know there are injuries but man...

I'm really not sure where the Lions go from here. It feels like we will never actually win anything with Caldwell & co, but equally Lions history shows it can be a hell of a lot worse, and I'm not sure I'm ready to take the leap of faith with a new coach yet.

I think coaching is at the root of the Lions' problems, especially the tackling, run blocking, and game planning. Because of that, while Caldwell is very good at motivating his players and getting them to perform even in impossible situations, it also means the team has a bad habit of getting inconsistent performances that have been characteristic throughout his tenure. The team can be good and play to a high level, especially when Stafford and the receivers are clicking-but when they aren't, which has been more often than not especially as of late, the team just falls apart completely.

One potentially bright thing to look forward to if we do fire Caldwell is that the Lions aren't the team that Ken Whisenhunt passed over anymore. If nothing else, Caldwell and Quinn have brought the team back to respectability, with multiple playoff appearances, a consistent winning record, and a potential MVP at QB. There's a good chance that the Lions could actually attract top talent into the position-though, knowing our luck, we're going to end up with Josh loving McDaniels :suicide:

OxySnake posted:

I hope the Lions win, even if they're out of the playoffs by then, if only so that they can drag the Packers screaming into the abyss with them.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I hope the Lions win, even if they're out of the playoffs by then, if only so that they can drag the Packers screaming into the abyss with them.
But the Packers will be out of the abyss next year.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Congratulations on your future Grey Cup victory John Fox.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

what i am most looking forward to as a Lions fan is them letting Ansah walk and watching him immediately return to peak performance after he signs a one year deal with some stupid NFC West team

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

every time goodwin caught the ball, i couldn't stop thinking of this top-tier college football gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Someone asked John Fox why the Bears didn't let the 49ers score with 1:30 left to leave time for a potential game-winning TD drive, rather than letting SF milk the clock down to :03 for a chip-shot field goal to seal the game.

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/937443455940390912

• Locked thread