Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Log082 posted:

Just so everyone knows: WitP AE is on sale for $30.00 (!)

That's the lowest I've ever seen it, and I've finally decided to buy it and flail around like the idiot I am trying not to get all of my carriers sunk.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351/details/War.in.the.Pacific.-.Admirals.Edition

I have never thrown money at something faster or with less thought than I just did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Kodos666 posted:

well, the allied clocked in 117 ops-losses, some carriers must be either sunk or incapable of air-operations.

None destroyed on field suggests the latter.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I think some extremely groggy players manage to have the KB survive the war by basically abusing the hell out of the AIs worst habits.

Grey's done well while keeping it fair!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Maybe you could play like the Kaiser and keep them in harbor for the entire war?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Turns like this are all the sweeter for all the nonsense and drudgery this game puts you through.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
probably the only accurate take on warfare in a game, tho

large amounts of boredom and drudgery, with the occasional burst of absolute terror

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Well, we have to realize this was a glorious victory. It wasn't without loss...we lost some good men out there, and at times, the future seemed to be in doubt. And, I admit, we had losses. Mopre than we should have! But still, everyone will remember, this is the day the war changed, and that our ultimate victory would be assured. So, cheer up, everyone, because we....oh, wait, we're playing as the Japanese. Well, carry on.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
The great Marshall Islands turkey shoot

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, this day was always going to happen. I have lasted a year and a half longer than real life Japan before getting my fleet carriers sunk, and they have done a lot of damage since. But there was no realistic way the Butai's were going to make it to the end of the war.

The Kido Butai is still mostly undamaged!

Unless you're foreshadowing here...:tinfoil:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Quickly, invade the Soviet Union

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
The KB still lives but drat at those airframe losses, but now is the time to take the offensive and regain momentum. The invasion of Pearl is now essential.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Take Pearl Harbor!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
c'mon next update!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

RA Rx posted:

Take Pearl Harbor Los Angeles!

Go big or go home.:colbert:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:rip: Nth Doctor, Mikl

For my next ship I'll take the Lexington II.

(I'm doing this to jinx that ship. Expecting a new :rip: in a few days.)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Aww yiss! I'd watch a movie about that battle!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The guns continue to do their work.

Somebody can still get planes into the air!

Our attack confirms all three Essex class afloat.

Things get quiet.

I have to report the loss of the Kaga. This is not surprising, as she was burning stem to stern yesterday – I just need to catch those US carriers and make good on my losses!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All afloat, not on fire.

gg, close

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:rip: two_step

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Diminuendo after the big battle, maybe this Spruance turned east as well?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

"If we let in enough water it will extinguish the fires"

- Chief damage control officer, IJN Kaga

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
This game always highlights just how impossible Japan's victory really was.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

TildeATH posted:

This game always highlights just how impossible Japan's victory really was.
The victory point section of the rulebook for Fire in the Sky concludes with "Whichever player wins the game, Japan loses the war".

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ograbme posted:

The victory point section of the rulebook for Fire in the Sky concludes with "Whichever player wins the game, Japan loses the war".

Considering the strikes launched today and their operational losses yesterday it would seem that the carriers have very few planes left to launch, so a strike with your battleship (without the Katori dear god) or cruiser task forces might be catch them while they are still relatively weak.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I think we should forget this day happened and save scum the gently caress out of that battle.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Ron Jeremy posted:

I think we should forget this day happened and save scum the gently caress out of that battle.

I'd be cool with an bonus post where he does that until he wins, just to see

a) how many times it takes for that to happen
b) what that would look like

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Grey Hunter posted:

Our attack confirms all three Essex class afloat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

eyyyy damage control

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Time for the battleships Katori to save the day!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

wiegieman posted:

eyyyy damage control

Preparing for fires reduces our elan bushido spirit

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
alright I caved and bought this game even though I literally have no idea what's going on. Banzai!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Well, those ships were living on borrowed time and we knew it. Grats on doing better than historical, I guess it's time to make the Allies suffer for their poor AI as long as possible?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
For those of you picking up WiTP in the sale:

Good basic guide written by a goon whose name I can't recall:
https://pastebin.com/C7tri1w0

Yamato Damashii map mod (What Grey is using):
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3696410

Turn 1 set up up guide (Allies):
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2564541

Turn 1 set up guide (Japan):
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3253803

WiTP tracker:
https://sites.google.com/site/witptracker/home

Some general FAQ/New player help threads:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2260137
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2576157

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ikasuhito posted:

Go big or go home.:colbert:

Is it actually possible to land troops in California? What can high level players accomplish in this game?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Is it actually possible to land troops in California? What can high level players accomplish in this game?

Pretty sure that triggers instant huge American armies that there's no way the Japanese player can defeat.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It's pretty much literally impossible to hold any part of the mainland US for more than a week or two, but IIRC it can still be worth an invasion because you can permanently destroy specific critical factories or something.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mantis42 posted:

It triggers an unmanageable number of American armies to spawn. Worth doing for some extremely gamey reasons, but so crazy and chancy that no one does it in a regular multiplayer game.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Mantis42 posted:

Yes, it's technically possible. The ultimate in cheese strategy - land troops in the locations on the west coast that have aircraft factories. When you control those hexes, the factories are converted into generic industry. While the allies still get non-factory replacement, it's greatly diminished for those plane types. Then you withdraw. The downside is that Patton spawns with a massive army. Holding positions in Continental US is impossible.

I've only heard about this tactic on paper, though. I've never seen it talked about as if someone actually accomplished it. It would only really be possible after smashing up the AI a lot, and it would be easier to just go for autovictory with an Australian or Indian campaign against the AI.

As for other cheese strategies:
- Multi-day Pearl Harbor
- Hit the American carriers on the way back from Pearl; their positions are known and their pathing predictable
- Take Vancouver Island and start Strategic Bombing CONUS
- Blitz Karachi via naval invasion and then patrol the Aden -> Karachi shipping route to clown the British reinforcements that spawn in Aden when you do so
- Invade Hawaii by diverting troops meant for the Philippines
- Total victory in China through careful ground force composition management (Grey's pretty close here but took too long)

None of this is actually viable in Human vs Human though, except multi-day Pearl which is usually banned with house rules. Instead you get things like the Mersing Gambit, various bypasses to claim things like the DEI in the first few turns, Fortress Singapore, Fortress Palembang, huge gambles on operations like Hawaii Invasion, crazy fuel trains that give the KB a completely ahistorical reach even farther than Pearl and the Indian Ocean Raid, New Zealand conquest, fighting up to Bombay in India, fighting up to Adelaide and Melbourne in Australia, tens of thousands of late-war high-skill planes for Fortress Japan, Hokkaido invasion 1943, Vancouver Island landings, and the Niipon Panzer Corps. The craziest thing I ever read about was a successful Hawaii invasion and then turned it into Fortress Hawaii as the grave of dozens of American fleet carriers trying to take it back, but that was in the previous version of the game before Admiral's Edition.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

What's Niipon Panzer Corps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

RZApublican posted:

What's Niipon Panzer Corps?

Stacking up all of Japan's tank units in one place. Usually for a push across the Australian outback or through the Chinese heartland.