Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont want to janitor my tabs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

don't worry the constant crashes from a dozen different applications having to share a gui wrapper will solve your janitorial problems

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

knowing the average windows developer, if the feature is supported at all expect them to poo poo all over their own tab and probably to attempt to poo poo on other tabs as well

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i earnestly can't wait to see the kind of poo poo windows timeline fucks up

i'll bet you'll be able to sync app crashes between devices now!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's good that pirates will always be around cuz they keep the entertainment industry at least somewhat honest

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

theres gotta be squirt apis sitting idle somewhere in windows code

i hope

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Celexi posted:

zune v 2334444 dies

playsforsure*

*no longer plays

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lessons from microsoft land: .net apps can occasionally cause changes to the machine.config file that will cause every single .net app on the system to fail, silently, with no error messages or diagnostic info of any kind. of course these errors don't occur until the next time the app or service is restarted

if this happens on a server where services don't get restarted frequently, well, good luck troubleshooting

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

lessons from microsoft land: .net apps can occasionally cause changes to the machine.config file that will cause every single .net app on the system to fail, silently, with no error messages or diagnostic info of any kind. of course these errors don't occur until the next time the app or service is restarted

if this happens on a server where services don't get restarted frequently, well, good luck troubleshooting

i have never once seen this happen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've run into it twice now. once in 2015 and yesterday. real barrel of laughs

the fix is amazingly simple, assuming you identify what's happening.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the fix is amazingly simple, assuming you identify what's happening.

working_in_it.txt

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

onedrive deleted all my locally stored photos. fantastic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the machine config cant be edited by default so this means you both changed the default security on the file and wrote an app that modifies the machine config for some reason. plus if the application pool user has permissions to modify it you probably really hosed up the security

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

the machine config cant be edited by default so this means you both changed the default security on the file and wrote an app that modifies the machine config for some reason. plus if the application pool user has permissions to modify it you probably really hosed up the security

i did neither. the most recent instance is a vmware mdm cloud connector. to my knowledge no one has ever touched the machine.config file before this, and certainly never changed any file permissions

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 1, 2017

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

OldAlias posted:

sure but what about moving a group of tabs

you can do that in chrome. ctrl+click to select individual tabs or shift+click to select tab ranges

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

onedrive deleted all my locally stored photos. fantastic

any deets?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

made a symbolic link to photos folder in the onedrive folder because onedrive has no features. much later I upgraded a drive and the drive letters got hosed for a little while, which made onedrive quit working. when everything was back in place I set it up again. but apparently around then it deleted everything in the previously linked folder. miraculously all photos remained in onedrive online

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

made a symbolic link to photos folder in the onedrive folder because onedrive has no features. much later I upgraded a drive and the drive letters got hosed for a little while, which made onedrive quit working. when everything was back in place I set it up again. but apparently around then it deleted everything in the previously linked folder. miraculously all photos remained in onedrive online

that sounds fairly convoluted but im glad your weren't divorced of all your photos, that's not a great thing (speaking from experience, rip my hs graduation pics)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
symbols links on windows? do please people actually use that?

e: autocorrect

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 1, 2017

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Celexi posted:

zune v 2334444 dies

lmao

hobbesmaster posted:

playsforsure*

*no longer plays

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

symbols links on windows? do please actually use that?
convoluted dev environments

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i've used them a couple of times

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

i've used them a couple of times

same, only hard links

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cinci zoo sniper posted:

same, only hard links

i'm told they can be an "inconsistent user experience" but if it means i can push one button to deduplicate 400 gigs of crap i "don't particularly care"

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

there's no other way to add external folders to onedrive

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

doesn’t really sound like symlinks are a viable solution either

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

windows is pretty bad

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

wtf everything was in my recycle bin

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

it got symbolically deleted

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Jenny Agutter posted:

All your files are exactly where you left them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

the outlook way of storing things

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

you can do that in chrome. ctrl+click to select individual tabs or shift+click to select tab ranges

whoa

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

the outlook way of storing things

hell, i had a user that had folders in their outlook deleted folder to keep everything organized in there

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it got symbolically deleted unlinked

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

you can't search history in microsoft edge :wtc:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you can't search history in microsoft edge :wtc:

yeah, it is actually really close to great (not least more fluid than the competition, shades of wp history), but it has so many small shortcomings that one would have thought they would have iterated out by now

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
It also has no bookmark manager

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i wonder why ms keep throwing resources after this when firefox and chrome clearly fill this void

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
is edge out of beta yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

i wonder why ms keep throwing resources after this when firefox and chrome clearly fill this void

electron is not only way way worse than building the same thing with uwp, but, strategically, adopting it would casually cede a lot of control over the os to google

the browser standalone existing is not as strategically important, but over time it may stem the tide of the web (and then webapps) becoming entirely riddled with webkitisms. beyond that it is also way more fluid in touch, is more battery-friendly, has better stylus integration and so on, and while those are more narrow categories, dropping edge would mean being unable to enter any new market segment like that without google approval