Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Does anyone else find that the resolution of the Rift can make it hard to see the front sight on some rifles? It's one thing that already has me looking forward to the next generation of headsets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

When are the next iterations of the Vive and Rift due, on that note? I've been waiting for the second generation before hopping on, and if it's looking like 2019 I might just pick up one sooner.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^we don't know but all indications suggest 2019 or beyond.

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm hoping to see a revamping of the file system with the 2.0 update coming in a couple weeks. It's annoying not being able to select the directory on a per game basis, but, heck they're finally adding wishlists in the update and a whole new desktop app, so maybe that will come too.
Yeah, the fact that they do seem to be addressing some QoL issues is promising. Not holding out hope on the file system being redone for 2.0 though.
I wish they were more transparent about their roadmap for Home. I guess they've been keeping things under wraps so they could make some VR headlines with Dash but this QoL poo poo is basic and there seems no reason why they couldn't inform the community at least that they're aware of the issues.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Penpal posted:

When are the next iterations of the Vive and Rift due, on that note? I've been waiting for the second generation before hopping on, and if it's looking like 2019 I might just pick up one sooner.

The common consensus and general intent of the major players seems to be 2.0 not before 2019. This isn't the cell phone industry, after all. It's small and needs to grow in content and shrink in price.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PerrineClostermann posted:

The common consensus and general intent of the major players seems to be 2.0 not before 2019. This isn't the cell phone industry, after all. It's small and needs to grow in content and shrink in price.

And video cards need to advance or we need some more Jon Carmack magic before vr can get much better than it is right now.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is the 2019 estimate counting Occulus’ wireless headset they are working on (Santa Cruz I think)? I don’t know if that counts as a second generation device or if it is it’s own thing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is the 2019 estimate counting Occulus’ wireless headset they are working on (Santa Cruz I think)? I don’t know if that counts as a second generation device or if it is it’s own thing.

That's basically Mobile VR, not the high end PC-driven stuff. Standalone systems are generally built on ARM and Android, to the best of my knowledge.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

GutBomb posted:

And video cards need to advance or we need some more Jon Carmack magic before vr can get much better than it is right now.

Wasn't foveated rendering supposed to help a lot, if there is still development going on? I haven't done a lot of research in a while, so pardon my ignorance.

Fake edit: I just remembered foveated rendering requires pupil tracking. Yeah, I've waited this long, unless there is a crazy sale I might just keep holdin' on

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm imagining the next big HMD will be something like the Pimax 8K but with eye tracking, inside-out head and controller tracking and wireless.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Wireless is bandwidth-limited even at 60GHz, but I could maybe see a dual-mode headset that was usable wired at full 8k (or whatever) resolution or wireless at about the same resolution as now and then upscaled by the headset to fit the higher res panel.

That would be pretty rad, actually.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone played Mage's Tale? I'm loving stuck in The Crone's Lair or something like that. I need two skulls to open a door in the room with the singing fairy. I have one, but to get the other i have to lift a metal cage by lowering another. The other one has a silhouette of a ship on top of it. I found a ship in a cage, but the giant magical frog already ate it to take it to my lair.

(Yes, Mage's Tale is p weird, and also it's good fun)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Helter Skelter posted:

Wireless is bandwidth-limited even at 60GHz, but I could maybe see a dual-mode headset that was usable wired at full 8k (or whatever) resolution or wireless at about the same resolution as now and then upscaled by the headset to fit the higher res panel.

That would be pretty rad, actually.

The Pimax 8K upscales from 1440p which I'm pretty sure TPCast claims their product can handle. Intel is working with HTC right now for wireless HMD solutions using WiGig so expect that to show up in whatever the next Vive is.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Just out of curiosity, does Windows MR have any kind of ASW/ATW equivalent? I assume you'd get Valve's version of it when using the headset with SteamVR but what about stuff from the Windows store?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Dongattack posted:

Has anyone played Mage's Tale? I'm loving stuck in The Crone's Lair or something like that. I need two skulls to open a door in the room with the singing fairy. I have one, but to get the other i have to lift a metal cage by lowering another. The other one has a silhouette of a ship on top of it. I found a ship in a cage, but the giant magical frog already ate it to take it to my lair.

(Yes, Mage's Tale is p weird, and also it's good fun)

It gets kind of hard to describe some of the stuff in that game, theres so so many weird puzzles and secrets around every corner (i loved it) but is this the part you're stuck on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEBa1qI6dwo&t=1324s

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Tom Guycot posted:

It gets kind of hard to describe some of the stuff in that game, theres so so many weird puzzles and secrets around every corner (i loved it) but is this the part you're stuck on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEBa1qI6dwo&t=1324s

Yes! Thank you. I see in that vid that the ship is on the opposite cage, i just need to move it to the other one. I didn't spot the ship while i was in VR.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just tried out Doom VFR and while it's not great I like it more than the things its being compared to (Arktika.1 for example) but there are a lot of little things that need to be worked out, and hearing the internal monologue of the character is really strange for a doom game.

I don't mind teleport when it's done well and after I got used to the controls it felt really good doing quick little strafes and long dashes. Telefragging is a good way to do the glory kill mechanic introduced in DO4M.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

I've mentioned this before, but I want the same ATS/ETS mechanisms but in a multiplayer cross country racing game with as many players as the system can handle. Battle royale driving between random destinations would be so much fun.

Yesss. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World the video game needs to happen.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I really want to wait for a patch for DOOM but it`s so darn fun. Just got to the Lazarus Labs, I feel like I'm probably like 2/3s of the way through and the fights are getting proper intense. It's kind of easy to gently caress yourself on ammo though on harder difficulties.

It's just, properly broken. The reprojection starts on my very high end system when the menus open, even before gameplay, then there's zero performance difference between low and ultra.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Penpal posted:

Wasn't foveated rendering supposed to help a lot, if there is still development going on? I haven't done a lot of research in a while, so pardon my ignorance.

Fake edit: I just remembered foveated rendering requires pupil tracking. Yeah, I've waited this long, unless there is a crazy sale I might just keep holdin' on

Yeah, foveated rendering is the key for the next leap in quality. The human eye can't see anything clearly outside the fovea.
The display manufacturers have demonstrated they can do the necessary resolution, it's just a matter now of (A) making the pupil tracking work well enough at a low enough price and (B) engine developers being able to do the new rendering techniques. I agree both coming together will probably take until 2019, possibly Xmas 2018 with a lot of luck.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Foveated rendering hasn't been demonstrated ever, it's still a big tech challenge in a number of ways. Not something you can count on getting 'soon'.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
turning off 'allow asynch reprojection' fixed a lot of my doom vfr issues. the game is amazingly fun and good.

anyone beaten it yet? how much further do I have to go once I get to Hell?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Fooz posted:

Foveated rendering hasn't been demonstrated ever, it's still a big tech challenge in a number of ways. Not something you can count on getting 'soon'.

The Wikipedia page for foveated rendering says it was demonstrated by two different companies at two different conferences in 2016.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Hmm checks out.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The Walrus posted:

I really want to wait for a patch for DOOM but it`s so darn fun. Just got to the Lazarus Labs, I feel like I'm probably like 2/3s of the way through and the fights are getting proper intense. It's kind of easy to gently caress yourself on ammo though on harder difficulties.

It's just, properly broken. The reprojection starts on my very high end system when the menus open, even before gameplay, then there's zero performance difference between low and ultra.

I am so loving stuck on the circle arena where you first fight cacodemons (ultra violence difficulty). The ammo thing is one problem, I put all my upgrades into health which turns out to be literally the worst of the three choices. I butted my head against it for over an hour last night and some of the frustrations really started to come through (monsters blocking teleport, teleporting up/down levels being awkward, guns shooting 'through' monsters at closeup).

The 'teleport slows down time' mechanic is reaaally confusing too. Does it 'recharge' or something after you use it? It seems to go for ages sometimes and other times only very briefly. The changing guns menu seems to trigger it as well.. but only sometimes? Actually the weapons radial menu as well really should just be hold trackpad, slide select and release rather than requiring another click.

And yeah getting crashes and poo poo fairly often.

Trying to love it but spoiled by so many other more polished VR FPS games.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Eye Tracking was one of the stretch goals for the Pimax headset, though I'm not sure if that will be precise enough to run Foveated Rendering at 60Hz+ without any judder or other sick-making side effects.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 4, 2017

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Has there been any news on Valve's Knuckles controller (the one that tracks individual finger movement)? A hackerspace near me is starting a robotics project which would be a good candidate for telepresence control via that controller.

And does it look like the Pimax 8K would be worth waiting for?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Cockmaster posted:

And does it look like the Pimax 8K would be worth waiting for?

Maybe. People who have used the recent prototypes complemented the FOV and image sharpness but found the head tracking to be more prone to jitter.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

Has there been any news on Valve's Knuckles controller (the one that tracks individual finger movement)? A hackerspace near me is starting a robotics project which would be a good candidate for telepresence control via that controller.

Valve-Time puts it before Half-Life3, but later than 2020.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chadzok posted:

I am so loving stuck on the circle arena where you first fight cacodemons (ultra violence difficulty).

Don't forget about the BFG grenade launcher as a panic button, it helps for finishing off tough fights on UV. I'm not 100% sure how the teleport works, pretty sure you're right and the slow motion is on cooldown while you can always use it for motion. But I know I started enjoying the game a lot more once I realized that the way to play is using the dashes for most movement, and then using teleport only when you are getting overwhelmed and need to create some space. Taking out the hell knights was a lot easier once I realized the optimal strategy is to juke them up close with dashes and shoot them in the face with the SSG.

Actually, is there a way to switch back to the regular grenade launcher once you get the BFG? It's actually *too* op and I'd like normal ones for most fights.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 4, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The steam vr beta I installed to make Doom work breaks a ton of other stuff. Annoying.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fooz posted:

SMI was showing this at the beginning of 2016, so they've had two years to work on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq09BTmjzRs

They showed it in live demos in March 2017 working on Vive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtU-Y9g6Trw

Aaaaand Apple bought them a few month later... whups:

https://medium.com/super-ventures-blog/opinion-apple-bought-an-eye-tracking-company-whats-next-d81d7726c8f1

Edit: One last video, this company has a pretty neat tracking method that's sort of like a Lighthouse system for your eyes, there's some marketing fluff but also some good explanations of the system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0uucoUV_fI

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 4, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fooz posted:

Besides the examples Zero VGS gave, Varjo gave demonstrations earlier this year:

https://vrscout.com/news/view-xr-varjo-worlds-first-human-eye-resolution-headset/

And here is the research presentation nVidia made:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/07/21/rendering-foveated-vr/

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I just finished Scanner Sombre. What an awesome experience - really unique game that’s totally unlike anything I’ve ever played. The visuals are perfect for VR, the sound design is totally on point, and it felt like just the right length (just under 2 hours for me). The controls were a little touchy at points, but overall I loved it.

I never thought I’d enjoy a walking simulator type game, but this in VR was pretty incredible.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Eye tracking tech exists and is cheaply manufacturable but the companies in control of the patents want a lot. They know it's a necessary technology for VR to progress and are going to squeeze every penny they can out of the IP they have.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm decently far into DOOM VFR just got to hell and I've been enjoying my time with the game. I thought I was going to dislike the teleporting movement but it's actually pretty fun and a good replacement for glory kills. The dash buttons are useful. The gun controls are actually pretty good and I found it really easy to aim unless a guy is right next to you. I think the game might have some kind of melee knockback I forgot about until typing this that would help with that. It has reused levels but I'm not really minding it I didn't have all the DOOM levels memorized or anything. Seeing these giant demon's up in front of me is really cool. I'm not sure if it has arcade mode or not but I hope so.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Welp, someone went ahead and created a real version of that dumb star trek TNG videogame for the hololens.

https://i.imgur.com/MiFobAP.gifv

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

JohnnySmitch posted:

I just finished Scanner Sombre. What an awesome experience - really unique game that’s totally unlike anything I’ve ever played. The visuals are perfect for VR, the sound design is totally on point, and it felt like just the right length (just under 2 hours for me). The controls were a little touchy at points, but overall I loved it.

I never thought I’d enjoy a walking simulator type game, but this in VR was pretty incredible.
I dropped one of my Vive wands while playing, and spent several seconds trying to scan the dark living room for the other, before I realized why it didn't work. They really should have launched with VR support. The game is way better in VR.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SimonChris posted:

I dropped one of my Vive wands while playing, and spent several seconds trying to scan the dark living room for the other, before I realized why it didn't work. They really should have launched with VR support. The game is way better in VR.

I really hated the movement in VR even though I'm usually more than fine with teleportation; I felt like every time it moved me I completely lost all orientation, partly because it didn't seem to give me any control over how far I moved. Are there some options or mods that I missed that offer other methods?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NRVNQSR posted:

I really hated the movement in VR even though I'm usually more than fine with teleportation; I felt like every time it moved me I completely lost all orientation, partly because it didn't seem to give me any control over how far I moved. Are there some options or mods that I missed that offer other methods?

It's kind of hard to see but there's a little circle that appears on the ground where you're going to move to. You can't go far so I found the distances were short enough that I never got mixed up like you describe. I was taking my time and painting the cave in pretty thoroughly though.

I'll echo that it's an amazing experience and was something that really wouldn't have been the same in VR, in some intangible way. Eating some edibles and playing through the entire thing in one sitting was something that I'll always remember in the same way I'll always remember beating King Bobomb in Mario 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Man I wish I had a larger play area.

While playing GORN I nearly broke:

• My TV
  • My Brother's laptop
  • My cat