Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, you're providing them with a free service for them to use so I don't think anything is "unreasonable." Just make sure you have enough bandwidth for direct streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've got unlimited up and down in this case. It's certainly a lot of data but my ISP (Telus) isn't charging for any overages including my last month of 10TB in traffic

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Godinster posted:

Is it unreasonable to ask family to use a Roku, Shield TV or other client that supports direct stream/direct play so I don't need to transcode for them instead of their lovely Apple TV or Chromecasts that transcode everything? I'd like to keep offering them my library at no charge as long as it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg in electricity above and beyond what it would normally take for my computer to run all day.

I've taken to limiting my transcodes to 1 max at a time because I don't have a dedicated HTPC for it but I share my library with 8+ people. I have 250 Mbps upload speed and I assume it's much easier on my computer to feed a direct stream/play to them if their networks can handle it than a 720p or 1080p transcode? Also, I assume audio transcoding is not too intensive?

Current gen Apple TVs and Chromecasts should only be requiring video transcodes from your Plex server for remote playback if:

1) Your media isn't H264 encoded or is H264 encoded above a certain profile level. I believe the Apple TV only supports H264 up to L4.2 and the Chromecast up to L4.1 but I think you can edit something in the Chromecast XML file to push H264 level support up to 5.2 maybe.

2) Your family is streaming video with subtitles in a non-supported format (VOBSUB, PGS, rear end). The Apple TV and Chromecast can only direct stream video with SRT formatted subtitles. Note: This is a setting called 'Burn Subtitles' that needs to be checked in the client app. It's usually set to 'Automatic' but might be set to 'Always' which will force a transcode every time any subtitles are selected, even natively supported ones.

3) The combined bitrate of concurrent media streams is higher than what your upload bandwidth can sustain. In your case, if you have 8+ people trying to stream like 30Mbps files at the same time, then your server and they might run into some issues but obviously that's not a realistic scenario.

4) The remote client app's internet download speed is not fast enough to stream directly and is requesting a lower bitrate transcode. If you have a 1080p 12Mbps file and your family member only has like 10Mbps internet, your server will have to transcode the video for them to a lower bitrate in order to prevent any buffering issues.

The Apple TV and Chromecast do not support DTS or HD audio streams (TrueHD, Atmos, DTS-HD MA), so any files with only those tracks will be transcoded to AC3, EAC3, or AAC. However, audio transcoding has minimal impact on CPU resources. Video transcoding is what requires a lot of horsepower.

If none of the above issues are things you think might be forcing your Plex to serve up a video transcode, then something is wrong in the remote client app settings. You need to check the 'Internet Streaming' quality on the Apple TV and Web app/Mobile app used to cast to the Chromecasts to make sure they are at the 'Original Quality' or 'Maximum' setting. If there's an 'Auto Adjust' quality setting, make sure to turn that off.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 30, 2017

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Thanks for that information. I've asked all of them to turn their remote streaming quality to the max in the past and it seems to have helped - I'll try that XML file option for the ones using Chromecast for the newer H264 profiles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I wish there was a way to recommend remote clients to default to higher settings. The vast majority of the people I've shared Plex with are newbies to it without an eye for video quality, so they stick with the default 720p settings.

My server has CPU to spare and I don't pay for power on it, so it doesn't make a huge difference...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Godinster posted:

Thanks for that information. I've asked all of them to turn their remote streaming quality to the max in the past and it seems to have helped - I'll try that XML file option for the ones using Chromecast for the newer H264 profiles.

Did a quick search, and from what I'm reading, that XML file edit is no longer an option. Google removed that in a firmware update a little while ago. 1st gen and 2nd gen Chromecasts apparently had unresolvable issues with H264 files that were encoded with profiles above L4.1 so they dropped support for L5+ encoded media entirely. The Chromecast Ultra however supports HEVC/H.265 profiles up to L5.1, and apparently supports 10-bit encodes as well. Info from the official Chromecast developer documentation here: https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Godinster posted:

Is it unreasonable to ask family to use a Roku, Shield TV or other client that supports direct stream/direct play so I don't need to transcode for them instead of their lovely Apple TV or Chromecasts that transcode everything? I'd like to keep offering them my library at no charge as long as it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg in electricity above and beyond what it would normally take for my computer to run all day.

I've taken to limiting my transcodes to 1 max at a time because I don't have a dedicated HTPC for it but I share my library with 8+ people. I have 250 Mbps upload speed and I assume it's much easier on my computer to feed a direct stream/play to them if their networks can handle it than a 720p or 1080p transcode? Also, I assume audio transcoding is not too intensive?

Your power bill begins and ends with heating and air conditioning (and to a lesser extent your large appliances like laundry equipment and refrigerators).

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 30, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

savesthedayrocks posted:

Anyone able to download this version (or the fix)? I don’t see any option to toggle. Does it retroactively remove the commercials?

It's under "Advanced" on your recording options and should work with any recordings you already have as well.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Not a plex subject, but a movie-server subject... i found a Sony DVP-CX995V 400 disc DVD changer local to me on craigslist. 90% of my Plex collection is ripped from my own physical media, and not downloaded. After ripping, i give their discs away or sell online. I still have a few DVDs that ill never sell, even though i ripped them to Plex. (OOP collectors items, etc). I also have a big stack of CDs, that although i ripped them as well, dont feel the need to donate to goodwill.

Anyone else still maintain some level of physical media? This sony seems like the flagship changer. I’d love to get the Blu-ray version,m but those still seem to fetch premium prices. ($800+) The DVP-CX995V can be found for $75-200 most of the time, depending on condition.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 1, 2017

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I hate having physical media. Takes up too much space, forced to sit through non-skippable ads and previews, and I have to own more devices to watch them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh hey! The Plex app no longer crashes my Roku.

Thanks for the update, Plex people.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I still have all my DVD and BD media.

In plastic boxes. In my attic. Where they will probably long outlive me.

If you go to the effort of 1:1 rips there's no reason to accommodate them these days. I'd only care if I had re-encoded them down to lower bitrates years ago, because they'd look much better with the current tech and full rips would be easy to keep with the amount of storage I have now. I didn't though, so...attic.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cornjob posted:

Not a plex subject, but a movie-server subject... i found a Sony DVP-CX995V 400 disc DVD changer local to me on craigslist. 90% of my Plex collection is ripped from my own physical media, and not downloaded. After ripping, i give their discs away or sell online. I still have a few DVDs that ill never sell, even though i ripped them to Plex. (OOP collectors items, etc). I also have a big stack of CDs, that although i ripped them as well, dont feel the need to donate to goodwill.

Anyone else still maintain some level of physical media? This sony seems like the flagship changer. I’d love to get the Blu-ray version,m but those still seem to fetch premium prices. ($800+) The DVP-CX995V can be found for $75-200 most of the time, depending on condition.

Physical media are useful for backups, although this could be covered if you have copies of your stuff on HDDs instead of just on the discs. I used to covet one of those DVD changers, the type (like you found) that used to come with their commercial HTPCs. Nowadays I can't imagine even using one of those, because flipping through discs is so archaic compared to what PMS can do.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
This isn't specific to Plex, but I didnt know a better place to put, and I am using Plex as the playback software so here goes. I have ripped a large number of blu rays and DVDs into my personal library, and occasionally, one of the DVD's will play back windowboxed. I did some reading and I guess this is caused by the method the original DVD author used to create the widescreen image, where they burned in a pillarbox affect for 4.3 playback. Since I am on a 16.9 device it adds its own letterboxing, and you end up with the postage stamp effect, where there are black bars around the entire image.

Does anyone have solutions to this? The only thing I have seen in some light googling is to reencode the file cropped, which honestly seems doable given its a pretty rare affect I encounter. Any suggestions on a tools for that? Simpler the better. A better solution of course would be a way for the player itself to recognize and rescale the file on the fly, but that doesn't seem to exist.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

emocrat posted:

This isn't specific to Plex, but I didnt know a better place to put, and I am using Plex as the playback software so here goes. I have ripped a large number of blu rays and DVDs into my personal library, and occasionally, one of the DVD's will play back windowboxed. I did some reading and I guess this is caused by the method the original DVD author used to create the widescreen image, where they burned in a pillarbox affect for 4.3 playback. Since I am on a 16.9 device it adds its own letterboxing, and you end up with the postage stamp effect, where there are black bars around the entire image.

Does anyone have solutions to this? The only thing I have seen in some light googling is to reencode the file cropped, which honestly seems doable given its a pretty rare affect I encounter. Any suggestions on a tools for that? Simpler the better. A better solution of course would be a way for the player itself to recognize and rescale the file on the fly, but that doesn't seem to exist.

Someone has already done the work for you I'm sure. Download a properly formatted version and when the feds bust in show them your dvd.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

emocrat posted:

If you use Handbrake, I think auto-crop would usually detect this and automatically crop the image down. You can also check the preview and adjust the crop parameters manually: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/advanced/resizing-video.html

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

emocrat posted:

There are alot of DVDs that weren’t encoded with 16x9 TVs in mind... especially DVDs that were authored in the early days of the format. You can either zoom your tv, or as previously mentioned, re encode the file with handbrake... itll chop the black bars and properly fill your tv.

Personally, id rather track down an HD version than go through that effort

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the suggestions all. I understand the suggestion of finding a high def copy, and I don't really have any ethical issues with it. That said, I don't have any of the software set up for it and I don't really know anything about it, so it seems a little easier to me to just correct the ones I have which is all of like, 2 files. I will check out the crop feature on Handbrake, thanks for the link.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

emocrat posted:

Thanks for the suggestions all. I understand the suggestion of finding a high def copy, and I don't really have any ethical issues with it. That said, I don't have any of the software set up for it and I don't really know anything about it, so it seems a little easier to me to just correct the ones I have which is all of like, 2 files. I will check out the crop feature on Handbrake, thanks for the link.

Handbrake's pretty easy to use. All you really have to do is pick a preset and feed it your source file; it'll pretty much do everything else automatically. You can get a little more involved and pick your audio/subtitle streams (e.g. getting rid of foreign languages to save space) and even convert to AVC or HEVC from MPEG-2 or whatever.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I've used PMS for over a year on Shield TV and it's been great but the last like 3 months or so when I login to the browser side, app, anything. None of the metadata populates and it takes several minutes for it to load everything. If I click on any file to play it, it will first have to load all metadata before it even starts the media which takes several extra minutes. Anybody know the issue? Everything is set to TheTVDB/TheMovieDB for priority metadata so I know it's not checking any local sources first or anything like that. If I restart the device, everything instantly loads but only works for maybe a day before it does it again when I login. Thanks for the help.

Also worth noting I've emptied trash/optimized DB/cleaned bundles multiple times.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really have no clue on that one, but do you have the Pro version of the Shield with the extra space? Are you running low on space and maybe it is doing weird things?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

I really have no clue on that one, but do you have the Pro version of the Shield with the extra space? Are you running low on space and maybe it is doing weird things?

I have the smaller version, but there's a huge MicroSD inside that I've migrated everything to, including PMS. A NAS holding the media is hooked up to the Shield for PMS where all my files live, but PMS itself is on the device with plenty of internal storage.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah that sounds like its running out of cache space or something, check the free space on the Shield. Plex DBs can bloat up quickly. I have a 2015 Shield TV with PlexKodiConnect and it was pulling down actor thumbnails and other stupid poo poo I don't care about. I'm on wired gigabit so I had it just pull them on demand instead which shaved off like 4GB on my library.

quote:

there's a huge MicroSD inside that I've migrated everything to, including PMS

What is the free space reported on the Shield? Just the internal, ignore the MicroSD for now. What kind of MicroSD card is it and how much use has it seen?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah that sounds like its running out of cache space or something, check the free space on the Shield. Plex DBs can bloat up quickly. I have a 2015 Shield TV with PlexKodiConnect and it was pulling down actor thumbnails and other stupid poo poo I don't care about. I'm on wired gigabit so I had it just pull them on demand instead which shaved off like 4GB on my library.

What is the free space reported on the Shield? Just the internal, ignore the MicroSD for now. What kind of MicroSD card is it and how much use has it seen?

The internal is 16GB, and the MicroSD is 64GB but most of it is completely free, like 58GB. I actually migrated everything to the MicroSD because it was doing this before and I figured internal space was the issue.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
How much free space is there on the internal storage portion?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Did you add the MicroSD card as Adoptable Storage or Removable Storage? Not sure if you've seen this KB from Plex - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/221099648-Limitations-When-Running-Plex-Media-Server-on-NVIDIA-SHIELD

I can't say I've seen that problem on my Pro. I kind of assume it's a space issue or an issue with your MicroSD card. Unfortunately, external storage on Android has always been kind of a crapshoot.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'll play around with this stuff and report back, thanks all

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I kind of assume it's a space issue or an issue with your MicroSD card. Unfortunately, external storage on Android has always been kind of a crapshoot.

It's definitely this.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

If I recall right the PMS on the shield requires the usage of the internal storage and cannot be removed or moved to an SD card.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

kri kri posted:

If I recall right the PMS on the shield requires the usage of the internal storage and cannot be removed or moved to an SD card.

It can if you use "adopted storage". Which means you make the Shield adopt the external storage as internal, then it appears as internal storage to all application. But it needs to be relatively high performing storage
to function properly. You bottom dollar microSD card is not recommended for the task.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

stevewm posted:

It can if you use "adopted storage". Which means you make the Shield adopt the external storage as internal, then it appears as internal storage to all application. But it needs to be relatively high performing storage
to function properly. You bottom dollar microSD card is not recommended for the task.

I haven't gotten a chance to investigate using the above advice, but I have a feeling this could be a factor as I'm using some rando MicroSD card as adopted storage.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to investigate using the above advice, but I have a feeling this could be a factor as I'm using some rando MicroSD card as adopted storage.

RIP in peace

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It was totally this. I connected a USB 3.0 500GB external and adapted it to internal storage and as far as I can tell it's completely fixed the issue, thanks all.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

It was totally this. I connected a USB 3.0 500GB external and adapted it to internal storage and as far as I can tell it's completely fixed the issue, thanks all.

Now that you have done this, if you ever notice the Shield acting strange or stuttering really hard, check the hard drive.

I used some laptop drives I had laying around stuffed into a external case. And twice now I have had the drives die! Which caused some very weird issues.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I’ve been waiting for Plex to offer me the lifetime $75 code for a couple months now. Does anyone have a valid code they don’t want that they’d be willing to share with me?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I think people have reported it's a personal code and won't work for anyone but the person originally sent to

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Roundboy posted:

I think people have reported it's a personal code and won't work for anyone but the person originally sent to

I’ve seen one report of that, and multiple reports of people being able to give their code to another. Thought it would be worth a try at least!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

bobfather posted:

I’ve seen one report of that, and multiple reports of people being able to give their code to another. Thought it would be worth a try at least!

Ahh I may be wrong then. Good luck!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I heard people of saying add the lifetime subscription to your cart and just leave it for a week or so. An email magically appeared after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Moey posted:

I heard people of saying add the lifetime subscription to your cart and just leave it for a week or so. An email magically appeared after that.

I’ve been doing that for the past couple months with no success. I have a Windows 10 VM that sits idle most of the time. I opened up Firefox, loaded Plex.tv, inputted my credit card info and will let it sit on the penultimate page indefinitely to see if that makes a difference.