Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Not he offered, but that was the bet.

I kinda wish this one had happened, tho

there was probably a grain of truth to it. i bet there was a guy being loud and lovely about #metoo at the op's work, but the rest was pure stdh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

quote:

(In a class in college we are expected to get into groups for a weeks-long project. There’s a student sitting next to me who has made me uncomfortable in the past, but has latched onto me. He insists we be in a group together. Since I know no one else in the class, I go with it. In the course of working on the project, he learns that I’m a Christian.)

Me: “I can look at that after small group tonight.”

Classmate: “Small group?”

Me: “Oh, just a group of us from my church that meets on Tuesdays every week for Bible discussion and praying; that’s all. We’ll be done around nine.”

Classmate: “Do you guys get together sometimes to rape kids? All while singing songs to your Santa Claus in the sky?”

Me: “Okay, not only am I not Catholic, which I assume is the source of your jab, that’s disgusting and wrong to joke about.”

Classmate: “You all think you’re drinking some made-up Jew’s blood, anyway, so it’s all the same.”

Me: “Again, you are confusing Catholic beliefs with—”

Classmate: “Oh, are you mad?”

Me: “I’m not mad; I’d just expect you to know what you’re talking about before you try to insult my religious beliefs.”

Classmate: “Crap, you’re not going to go invade some country and kill all the indigenous people over this, are you? I know how you guys like to do that.”

(Over the course of the project, and then the rest of the semester, he latches onto me socially, acting like we’ve been the best of friends forever, but doesn’t seem to get how friends are supposed to interact, even if they have very different views on things. I keep my distance as best I can, with varying degrees of success, through graduation, and hear nothing from him for a couple years afterward. I’ve all but forgotten about him until I get a friend request on Facebook. Naturally, I decline the request. Then I get a direct message from him a few days later.)

Classmate: “Hey, why am I deleted?”

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Actually I can 100% believe that one. It's hardly even embellished. A true STDH about christian intolerance would require the non-believer to break down in a hysterical screaming fit while the christian calmly quotes scripture.

I do appreciate though that the author sidesteps all the :goonsay: with "no that's actually the catholics."

Comptroll The Forums has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Dec 4, 2017

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Actually I can 100% believe that one. It's hardly even embellished. A true STDH about christian intolerance would require the non-believer to break down in a hysterical screaming fit while the christian calmly quotes scripture.

I do appreciate though that the author sidesteps all the :goonsay: with "no that's actually the catholics."

Yeah, there have been plenty of sex scandals in the evangelical church as well. (And I’m sure some in mainline Protestant churches, but I couldn’t name any.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That classmate sounds like a real jerk!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

oldpainless posted:

That classmate sounds like a real jerk!

More like oldfaithless.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Plenty of non Catholic Christians drink altar wine, too. And yeah the child rape thing is hardly confined to Catholics. IIRC that's Richard Dawkins' origin story.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Plenty of non Catholic Christians drink altar wine, too.

I never knew this until my grandma’s funeral at a Lutheran church. My brothers and I were very confused.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Lutheran and Anglican (and their offshoots) services are so similar to Catholic masses you could easily confuse them if not for a few identifiers you know to look out for.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
A lot of the evil decadent Catholic church practices are shared by other denominations. It's just that historically Catholics have been associated with people who are poor, brown, or Not White Enough/only recently given a white pass (Poles, Italians, Spanish, Greek, Irish etc). So everyone remembers to pick on the Catholics in particular but they don't always remember why.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I remember why. It's the popegators.

I do hate the Italians, though.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Volcott posted:

What's a popegator

Alligator pope?

E: oh there's a picture there :downs:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Comptroll The Forums posted:

If there had to be only one thing in that story that actually happened, it would have been that.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
*story about people dissing you on religion*

"I don't rape kids I'm not catholic"

:irony:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

A lot of the evil decadent Catholic church practices are shared by other denominations. It's just that historically Catholics have been associated with people who are poor, brown, or Not White Enough/only recently given a white pass (Poles, Italians, Spanish, Greek, Irish etc). So everyone remembers to pick on the Catholics in particular but they don't always remember why.

No, the main difference is that knowledge of the problem went all the way to top; and they dealt with it by shuffling priests sideways into new, unsuspecting parishes instead of excommunicating them (or better yet, letting law enforcement deal with them). So yes, that kind of abuse happens in all kinds of churches, but for the most part only the Vatican has the kind of giant centralized hierarchy to pull something like that off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Plenty of non Catholic Christians drink altar wine, too.

Would you skip the chance for free wine every time you go to church just because you're not Catholic?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Volcott posted:

I just killed these in Bloodborne

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

historically Catholics have been Greek

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I know this means that the Greek are just now white enough, but on first read I thought it referred to Greeks as Catholics, which is one of the few things you can't say about Greeks

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It took me a long time to realize that Mr. Potter was being racist when he referred to "garlic eaters" in It's A Wonderful Life

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

It took me a long time to realize that Mr. Potter was being racist when he referred to "garlic eaters" in It's A Wonderful Life

“You are stdh”
- Clarence

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Volcott posted:

Say what you will, but I think that's a pretty clever usage of the bishop's mitre. Good job, cartoonist. Sorry about your lovely views tho.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

Would you skip the chance for free wine every time you go to church just because you're not Catholic?

My grandad apparently very closely resembled the Catholic priest in one of the towns they lived in and therefore got sick discounts on wine whenever he went to the bottle-o :c00l:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
this is a goldmine

quote:

“All Muslims are rapists. They force their wives into sex and treat them very unfairly.”

I'm the only Muslim in my class. This teacher would explain his lessons to us and give us life lessons as well. He was my favorite teacher and I always passed his subject with ease.

So one day our PE teacher comes into our class and asks us if there are any girls who would like to take a self-defence class. I asked about boys and I was told that registration would be given later (probably so that if a boy kicks a girl or something it won't be called sexism and that poo poo)

Anyhow, after some girls signed up, the teacher brought up the topic of kidnapping. It eventually reached rape. And that's where he said that line:

“Most rapings happen in Islamic countries. All Muslims are rapists you see. They force their wives into sex and treat them very unfairly. As if they were objects.”

*Somebody makes a joke about Pakistan and Iran*

Me: No sir. You see, as you might already know, I'm a Muslim. And there isn't a word in the Quran which allows us to treat women unfairly. As a matter of fact, women must be treated kindly.

Teacher: Don't you watch the news? There's always rape by Muslims. Look at ISIS, they rape women.

Me: ISIS is only a maximum of a few million people who support their ideology. There always remember more than a billion Muslims, a few million doesn't represent more than a billion.

Teacher: Listen, I'm older than you, I have more experience than you. You were my favorite student, but now I realized how brainwashed you are (he actually said that.)

Me: Shame. You were my favorite teacher. But I realized how narrow minded you are. I doubt that anyone will know about a culture or religion more than somebody who practices it, comes from it. I'll never know about the Indian culture more than Indians themselves, or know about Christianity more than Christians themselves. Such a shame.

I got a weeks detention. But I got my revenge. I told my parents who notified the school board. The teacher was fired immediately

It surprises me how people can talk like that. Especially him. Especially since he never even read a religion textbook other than the Bible

Note: One of my parents is a Christian, the other a Muslim. When 14, I was introduced to both religious texts. I chose to be a Muslim.

The teacher was a Christian. I posted this whole note because on a previous site, I was accused of hate speech. I don't want the same to happen here.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

quote:

Teacher: Listen, I'm older than you, I have more experience than you. You were my favorite student, but now I realized how brainwashed you are (he actually said that.)

:shepface:

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
I think I found one where the author claims to actually be Albert Einstein.

quote:

This was from my high school chemistry teacher. She was teaching us about the law of conservation of mass.

As it so happened, I had been reading up on nuclear energy, so I asked her

“But Ma'am, what about nuclear reactions?”

“Oh! Experimental error,” she replied, “The mass gets changed by only 1 or 2%”

I was struck dumb by the sheer callousness of this statement. Even now, nearly ten years later, it makes me mad just thinking about it.

What a golden opportunity I had handed to her on a platter! If she had cared even slightly about the wonder and the beauty of science, she could have brought up Einstein’s equation and explained to us that mass and energy are related. That this great discovery opened the doors to a much deeper understanding of the cosmos.

But no! Experimental error, she says, displaying a complete ignorance of what an ‘error’ is or how to teach science.

GAAHHGH!

*deep breathing*

Phew. Finally got that off my chest.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I think you have an extremely short historical perspective.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Wastrel_ posted:

I think I found one where the author claims to actually be Albert Einstein.

What? No, he's saying that the teacher could have raised a discovery made by Einstein to actually explain the answer to his question rather than just dismissing it as "experimental error".
He was being a prick and deliberately trying to show her up in front of the class, but he wasn't claiming to have made any sort of massive breakthrough himself.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'd actually believe something like that happened, mostly since I had a similar experience when we started studying exponents, and me having learned about it a bit from my brother (and being a proto-goon) was real eager to show that I know that any number to the power of 0 is actually 1 and oh I'm so smart, but the teacher said things to the power of 0 are actually equal to 0. I was confused, especially when I asked her after the class ended and she said 'oh, it's just easier to teach it like that at first'. I suppose maybe it is? I dunno.

Oh also the whole class clapped or something

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Usually when you're teaching beginning level stuff, you give the broadest version. Only later do you start getting into the exceptions and why they happen.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

MrUnderbridge posted:

Usually when you're teaching beginning level stuff, you give the broadest version. Only later do you start getting into the exceptions and why they happen.

Yeah but you should at least say something like "you will cover the exceptions next semester/year/whatever", not give an answer you know is incorrect.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Just ripped that baby right out

RIP AND BEAr children.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

So how much money did they make on that medical malpractice suit that totally happened afterwards.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Fathis Munk posted:

Just ripped that baby right out

RIP AND BEAr children.

You can have my baby when you rip it from my cold, dead uterus.

Oh, wait...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Babies? In my vagina?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Cool. Its not like delayed cord clamping has significant benefits for the baby or anything (and also doesn't have anything to do with the actual time of delivery), I'm sure that obstetrician was an idiot with zero training or experience delivering babies. But you do you, savage daughter person.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Ravenfood posted:

Cool. Its not like delayed cord clamping has significant benefits for the baby or anything (and also doesn't have anything to do with the actual time of delivery), I'm sure that obstetrician was an idiot with zero training or experience delivering babies. But you do you, savage daughter person.

no the daughter is the one that wanted the delayed cord clamping, the ob is a dude in this story sample

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
that baby is still attached to the mother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Does delayed cord clamping prevent autism? I've never heard of it before but now that I have, I kind of feel like it does??