Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I can't wait to cosplay a retired person during years I am still physically able to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

When we say rich we mean the kind of people that employ me

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

When we say rich we mean the kind of people that employ me

Sounds like it's time for an oceanic revolution then.
Pretty convenient that you're surrounded by one of natures most efficient waste disposal systems.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Immanentized posted:

Seconding this, I'm going back to finish an MBA despite already having an MS. I got a sweet deal from my undergrad/grad school that let me finish the degree for only 2/3rd of the normal coursework.
One thing I realized, 3 years after completing my program, was that I might have a technically focused business degree that gave me all sorts of insight into technology management, but I had very little demonstrable knowledge and exposure to the networking and general team-working opportunities that the MBA did. Another thing is that when I talked to my director about going back for an MBA, the dude was genuinely excited because we'd been talking about jumping up to management, but lacked opportunities to practice and development certain skills. The MBA provides a proven program where people can learn these skills. It's not a guarantee at all, but it's a good risk to take.

As long as you aren't Joe Blogs in the call center thinking that an MBA from StateSchool$ will get you into the C suite overnight and you're willing to do some schmoozing and busy work, it's a benefit that can really take you places. It works the same way that professional certifications do- it's a baseline that says that not only can a person perform the task, but they've put the time and work in to fill a specific spot in an organization

Fair enough. MSU Mankato prices out a MBA at around $10k plus change, so it might still be in the cards.

Gotta get that bachelors first, though. :(

Mr. Nice! posted:

The estate tax as it currently stands only taxes a couple's estate when they have more than $11m.

But farmers

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
MBA - if it's not from a top 50 you should be getting it from a solid, reasonably priced state school and it should be a supplement to your work experience, not the crown jewel to get you to McKinsey.

I'm in an alright school but the guy in my group that's going to Deloitte used his benefits to take every credit towards a certification he could get. CPA, CFA, Six Sigma BB etc. He probably could have been McKinsey competitive but South Bay money was calling him.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Viva Miriya posted:

you aren't rich homie sorry

Speak for yourself I'm gonna collectivize the poo poo out of their toothbrush

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

How do you define rich people? I worked and saved and invested over multiple deployments over the last 15 years, and I retired at 35 and basically don't have to work. Am I going to get hosed to death because I was smart and didn't blow my money on booze and women? Should I keep working just to pay taxes?

More like the kind of people who would make a servant wipe their rear end with a stack of $100 bills (gotta be at least 3 ply) and insist watching it be flushed.

The cricket bat is not necessary. A dry-rotted tree branch would suffice. Something you could break off deep.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How do you define rich people? I worked and saved and invested over multiple deployments over the last 15 years, and I retired at 35 and basically don't have to work. Am I going to get hosed to death because I was smart and didn't blow my money on booze and women? Should I keep working just to pay taxes?

An easy way to tell is to check your pockets. If there are one or more congressmen in there, you're gonna get hosed to death.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The 2019 definition of middle class is going to be "can afford health insurance".

There's no punchline.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Good morning y'all!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/937641904338063361

Our president now explicitly, rather than circumspectly, supports a child predator.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Tasnimnews_EN/status/937635069228969984

Its not 100% confirmed but there are pictures of what looks like him with his brain coming out his skull so it's probably true

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Go overseas for an MBA. It'll cost 1/4 as much for a comparable education at a world class institution versus a top one in the states. Plus the whole international thing looks good.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

One of the C-level execs at my company has an MBA from university of phoenix

Don't think that's something to be proud of really

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Good morning y'all!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/937641904338063361

Our president now explicitly, rather than circumspectly, supports a child predator.

I think it would be a good thing if Twitter added a "thumbs down" option for tweets. So this orange fuckwit could see how negatively he's viewed by the public. It might give him a heart attack.

Of course he'd probably say it was being done by bots or something.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I think it would be a good thing if Twitter added a "thumbs down" option for tweets. So this orange fuckwit could see how negatively he's viewed by the public. It might give him a heart attack.

Of course he'd probably say it was being done by bots or something.

Let's be honest here, it would be done by bots.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oh that whole 'his lawyer actually sent the dumb tweet' thing that I (we?) thought was probably a bullshit rumor? It wasn't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...31ef_story.html

quote:

Trump’s Saturday tweets had stoked controversy, as he wrote that “I had to fire General Flynn because he lied to the Vice President and the FBI.” Previously, the White House had cited only the false statements to Pence as a rationale for dismissing Flynn.

Dowd confirmed Sunday that he had drafted the tweet for Trump and acknowledged that it was sloppily worded.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
loving lol that a presidential legal defense is going to be "I didn't post that on my twitter account, someone else did".

Rock on 2017.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Oh that whole 'his lawyer actually sent the dumb tweet' thing that I (we?) thought was probably a bullshit rumor? It wasn't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...31ef_story.html

"You're gonna take the fall or I'm going to.........drag my feet on firing you but really drag your name through the mud."

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/937653535486959616

My index funds are going to poo poo the bed today.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My retirement target is 2045. Provided there's still a stock market I'll be fine by then.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

"You may already be a winner!" says the President of the United States.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Here's why we need to tax the utter poo poo out of idle wealth.

So we should dis-incentivize people from being self-sufficient? Like you seriously want to tax the balance in someones checking account?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Loden Taylor posted:

"You may already be a winner!" says the President of the United States.

I hope the next ad I see about the tax bill is given the publishers clearing house treatment.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

So we should dis-incentivize people from being self-sufficient? Like you seriously want to tax the balance in someones checking account?

If you cracked a book once in a while, you'd know that all serious advocacy for taxing wealth only applies to real Wealth, not your loving $20k checking account. Thomas Piketty really kicked this debate into the mainstream w/ Capital in the 21st C, but you don't need to have read that, you just need to have read a few of the thousands of responses to it in the last 5 years to get the gist. We're not talking about savings accounts. We're talking about hundreds of millions to billions stashed in the accounts of tax-advantaged corporate entities with no employees and no purpose except to store wealth and avoid taxes. We're waaaaaaaay past questions of self-sufficiency.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 4, 2017

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
20k is a standard person's checking account balance? wealthy boi identified.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My stocks and mutual fund are mostly down on the day so far. It's like economics realize that loving over the middle class hurts the economy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Further it's really hard to understand, but there is a difference between. "I am getting phat stacks from my holdings and no longer have to work" vs "I and my family will have "gently caress You" money forever more"

No one in something awful has "gently caress you" money. Otherwise we'd hear about some goon getting a tax exemption for Wifu body pillows.

Edit: although there is that goon with from what I hear is a really nice condo :thunk:

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 4, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

20k is a standard person's checking account balance? wealthy boi identified.

*Hides family trust statements*

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

I'm really interested to see someone swear under oath about what happened. Trump Tweets are almost always from him, or through Scavino. If Dowd wrote the tweet, he hosed up by saying "pled" instead of "pleaded" which ZERO lawyers do.

That sort of explains why today, the lawyer (Dowd) is claiming the President can't obstruct justice because he's the highest ranking law enforcement official. It's total bullshit, based on previous impeachment documents citing obstruction, but they're officially making the Dredd Defense now.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

KildarX posted:

Edit: although there is that goon with from what I hear is a really nice condo :thunk:

Insh'allah I'll be marrying into a family with a mind-boggling amount of wealth. I've already joked about signing a prenup, but knowing how much cash my gf's dad has to throw around that's probably not a joke.

this is the guy buying an Eagle roadster.

Not bragging, I just don't quite know how I'm going to handle it.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 4, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

That sort of explains why today, the lawyer (Dowd) is claiming the President can't obstruct justice because he's the highest ranking law enforcement official. It's total bullshit, based on previous impeachment documents citing obstruction, but they're officially making the Dredd Defense now.

"You know some people say, very smart the best people I might add, I am the law"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

*checks bank statement* uh oh gip is gonna guillotine me for being fiscally responsible :whitewater:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I mean, theoretically you'd probably have some problems if everyone and their mother tried to retire at 40 by living moderately frugally on investment returns, but realistically it's never gonna be widespread enough to have large scale impacts on the economy, especially compared to more pressing looming emergencies like increased automation of both blue and white collar jobs while the US hacks away at the safety net.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

*checks bank statement* uh oh gip is gonna guillotine me for being fiscally responsible :whitewater:

This is what Republican voters actually believe.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

My stocks and mutual fund are mostly down on the day so far. It's like economics realize that loving over the middle class hurts the economy.

Its kind of the funny thing: The Stock Market favors the wealthy, but its not stupid, they know that if the Middle Class has no purchasing power, and the lower class has no liquid assets, then bad things are going to happen.

facialimpediment posted:

I'm really interested to see someone swear under oath about what happened. Trump Tweets are almost always from him, or through Scavino. If Dowd wrote the tweet, he hosed up by saying "pled" instead of "pleaded" which ZERO lawyers do.

That's not to mention: If the President's twitter is going to be counted as 'Official Communication' is it okay for his lawyers to use it? Probably, but still raises some issues.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
In my family, being "wealthy" or at least "doing ok" or whatever means being able to buy cigarettes and alcohol without having to pay in nickles and dimes found in couch cushions.

I'm loving living the dream now

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I'm probably going to work until the day I die. I just pray that it's soon and in the cleansing light of our Lord and savior, SS18 Satan.

Praise be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If Roy Moore wins, I hold zero hope for 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommieGIR posted:

If Roy Moore wins, I hold zero hope for 2018

He's going to win lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was like zero downtime between those who disbelieved it and those who started defending it and even now a huge number don't even believe it so um stock up on liquor and ammo

• Locked thread