Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Smoked meat is good, regardless of the smoker. Some people make better smoked meat than others, and sometimes they use different styles of smokers.

Eat more smoked meat!

Also, good morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Four hours of low and slow, and for once, I actually put sauce on at the end of the smoke, felt like heresy but turned out really good, a pineapple and habenero sauce.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Plans were to throw a 9 lb pork shoulder at around 225 8am for dinner combined with the amazn tube.

Pulled the tube out of my other smoker. To my horror it looked like hell and unstuck/unburned pellets were stuck in the tube. This is due to pure laziness on my part, a combination of rain and drippings.

Took a while with a MAPP torch to get it all burned out and looking decent again. And cranking away. Butt is around 120.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
5lb butt rubbed last night and rested in the fridge. On at 5:30am

And pulled at 10:40am to wrap, internal temp at 169

Pardon the terrible white balance on the 2nd photo.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Results

It was phenomenal. Better than any other smoked pork I've ever done.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
The final product with the bun and pickle look top notch. That's a quality MES smoke.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I did pulled chicken this Sunday and it was better than my pulled pork. I typically get my chicken from Kroger and spatchcock it to put on the PBC but Kroger was out of whole chickens so I had to go to Central Market (kind of like a whole foods). Anyway, I'm used to 5.5 to 6lb chickens from Kroger so when I asked the guy for a chicken that size he told me I was crazy and that they only come 3 to 3.5 lbs max. He told me I had been buying hormone injected chickens, which I knew, but I had no idea they increased the size by that much. Nearly double the size is insane. I learn something new every time I smoke something.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Chickens are really small. Most yard birds I've seen only get to about 2.5 pounds. A six pound chicken sounds gross.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That guy was high on his own supply. It's illegal to use hormones in poultry (all poultry, no matter how chic or how factory-farm) in the US. They're big because commercial breeders breed for size.

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-hormones-chicken-poultry-usda-fda-2016-3
https://globalnews.ca/news/1609753/study-shows-chicken-size-quadruples-in-60-years/

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

RisqueBarber posted:

I did pulled chicken this Sunday and it was better than my pulled pork. I typically get my chicken from Kroger and spatchcock it to put on the PBC but Kroger was out of whole chickens so I had to go to Central Market (kind of like a whole foods). Anyway, I'm used to 5.5 to 6lb chickens from Kroger so when I asked the guy for a chicken that size he told me I was crazy and that they only come 3 to 3.5 lbs max. He told me I had been buying hormone injected chickens, which I knew, but I had no idea they increased the size by that much. Nearly double the size is insane. I learn something new every time I smoke something.

My folks raise chickens now and then, and the birds they sell, broilers, are usually between 4 and 7 pounds once they are in the package. They don’t use hormones, antibiotics, strange foods, and they even have room to walk around outside. Once they mature to eating size they are usually too plump to run very quickly so they remain juicy and tender.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Chickens are really small. Most yard birds I've seen only get to about 2.5 pounds. A six pound chicken sounds gross.

Welcome to the world of Tyson and the USA.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

That guy was high on his own supply. It's illegal to use hormones in poultry (all poultry, no matter how chic or how factory-farm) in the US. They're big because commercial breeders breed for size.

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-hormones-chicken-poultry-usda-fda-2016-3
https://globalnews.ca/news/1609753/study-shows-chicken-size-quadruples-in-60-years/

Also Broilers only live like 4-6 weeks before they are sent away to become food. Hormones would not be effective in that time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Anyone do cornish hens?

johnly21
Sep 30, 2006
Has anyone used or heard of the Meater? https://meater.com/

It looks really cool and I'm surprised I haven't seen something like it before.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

johnly21 posted:

Seems like every wireless thermometer out there except with no wire to a transmitter? I mean I guess the app is cool but there are a few like that, iGrill is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

edit: Also triple the price and half the range!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The probe looks like triple the thickness of a normal wired probe.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Chicken breasts are loving huge these days.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

therobit posted:

Chicken breasts are loving huge these days.

Yeah. This is somewhat a complicated discussion and obviously I'm not an angel given what I eat.

But when it comes to chicken, I spend a few extra bucks for cage free birds and eggs. I'm probably some drat fool or something but I'd like to think I vote with my wallet.

Normal size I get on chickens is around 5-6 lbs versus the monstrosities you normally see. And the best part is they are usually marked down a lot of times given the price differential compared to the others so they get passed by.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Someone at my office wants to buy me a smoker. He said it needs to be thru Amazon, and around the $50ish range. I took a quick look and found these two:

Masterbuilt 20060416 Charcoal Bullet Smoker

Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker, Standard

Are these good choices? Should I go with one over the other? Is there another I should consider? I could probably talk him as high as $70 for the right one.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Someone at my office wants to buy me a smoker. He said it needs to be thru Amazon, and around the $50ish range. I took a quick look and found these two:

Are these good choices? Should I go with one over the other? Is there another I should consider? I could probably talk him as high as $70 for the right one.

You get what you pay for. I'm sure with enough mods and rework you can probably get either of those to retain heat for a while, but not without a good amount of frustration along the way.

I'd suggest maybe looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1211001-Jumbo-18-Inch-Portable/dp/B0098HR0RC/

I used to smoke a rack of ribs or two, or a tiny pork shoulder in something even smaller than that.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

This is real mystic and all, but uh, do you have anything to eat here?

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Honestly for that money I would ask him to get me a probe thermometer and save up for a smoker on the side. I don't really think it's worth spending less than $150 on a smoker, and that's the bare minimum. Everything below that is made with questionable craftsmanship and even more questionable materials.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, I figured that was probably the case. I'm going to suggest he instead buy a more expensive one for the office.

All suggestions welcome!

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

johnly21 posted:

I have one, they are pretty thick ( a little thinner than a #2 pencil) and the range is really short. If those two things don't bother you then it seems nice, the range is so short it makes me go back to the maverick most times.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I've got a 7.43 pound pork shoulder going in the smoker on Saturday for dinner. A lot of what I'm seeing g says smoke at 250, about an hour per pound, pull around 180 for slices, 190 for shredding. Does that sound right? Anyone have any other recommendations?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

10 Beers posted:

I've got a 7.43 pound pork shoulder going in the smoker on Saturday for dinner. A lot of what I'm seeing g says smoke at 250, about an hour per pound, pull around 180 for slices, 190 for shredding. Does that sound right? Anyone have any other recommendations?

I'd take it to at least 195 if you're looking for pulled pork, or even better, above 200. Start checking around 195 and see how it feels.

If you haven't done this before, start at least a couple hours earlier then you think you need to. Pork shoulder can sit wrapped in foil and covered in towels in a cooler for hours and hours and still be at a perfect temp to serve. Plus, you'll want to let the shoulder rest before serving anyways.

Read the amazing ribs page on pulled pork. That website is a great baseline source of info IMO.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

10 Beers posted:

Oh boy. Aim for 200. Have a decent thermometer(s).

As for how long it takes...who knows.* But I have a feeling you will be quite safe if you toss it in early in the morning.

* There is the plateau where moisture will slowly evaporate out. That is called the stall. Usually hits around around 165 internal or so and can sit there for hours. To get over it, crank it to 275 or foil the butt.

Welcome to the hobby.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That’s a 10 hour smoke if I had to guess and your fire stays honest.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
If you pull at 180-190 you’ll be slicing pieces off, not shredding.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Sorry all, should've clarified. This time I'm going for slices, not shreds. Also, this is an electric smoker. I'm not opposed to doing low and slow, I just have no idea what temperatures I need.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If you pull at 180-190 you’ll be slicing pieces off, not shredding.

Also for carnitas if you're doing chunks not shredded.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Ask him to buy you a used Weber 22.5" kettle off of Craigslist and start there. That, IMO, is the absolute best entry level smoker that exists. Not only can you properly smoke on it, but it's primarily a grill. Weber kicks rear end. You will need a pit thermometer though (to measure the internal air temp as well as the internal meat temp).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’m a bigger fan of the WSM for a starter smoker but the kettle is great too.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm thinking about making some smoked bloody mary mix as gifts next weekend for the holidays. I've got the bloody mary mix recipe good to go but I've never smoked tomatoes. The only recipes I've found use fresh but I'm wondering if it'll work just the same using a big ol' can of whole skinless tomatoes. Anyone have experience/insight into this?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

ada shatan posted:

You get what you pay for. I'm sure with enough mods and rework you can probably get either of those to retain heat for a while, but not without a good amount of frustration along the way.

I'd suggest maybe looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1211001-Jumbo-18-Inch-Portable/dp/B0098HR0RC/

I used to smoke a rack of ribs or two, or a tiny pork shoulder in something even smaller than that.

I already own the 14", but I'm thinking I'll tell him to buy this for the office instead. Just a matter of finding a place to store it now, our building got sold last week.

BritishRacingGreen posted:

Honestly for that money I would ask him to get me a probe thermometer and save up for a smoker on the side. I don't really think it's worth spending less than $150 on a smoker, and that's the bare minimum. Everything below that is made with questionable craftsmanship and even more questionable materials.

That's a good idea, I don't have one of those yet.

VERTiG0 posted:

Ask him to buy you a used Weber 22.5" kettle off of Craigslist and start there. That, IMO, is the absolute best entry level smoker that exists. Not only can you properly smoke on it, but it's primarily a grill. Weber kicks rear end. You will need a pit thermometer though (to measure the internal air temp as well as the internal meat temp).

Has to be from Amazon, they're a client of his. So I could suggest he get the 18" Weber Jumbo Smokey Joe for the office, but if he insists on getting something for me, I'd either go with the thermometer - or how about this for my gas grill? Are these any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Hardwood-Pellet-Smoker-Box-Grills/dp/B06Y4FDLFQ/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I just bought my first house after apartment living for the past 7 years. Read this whole thread in the past few weeks in anticipation of being able to actually smoke and grill poo poo.

So I just bought a practically new 22.5" Weber Kettle off of Craigslist for 60 bucks and am ready to do some pulled pork this weekend. I got a 10 lb bone-in pork shoulder and I cut the bastard in half. What should I do now

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Do you have thermometers? A rub you're going to use? You wanna put that on or at least dry brine it 24-48 hours before smoking. Make sure you have plenty of drugs to fully enjoy the process.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Yes to both. I've seen many people talk about mustard for a rub but is that necessary

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I like that better for ribs and find it doesn't make much of a different with the surface area:volume of something like pork butt. I have a heavy Texas bias towards dry rubs though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Yes to both. I've seen many people talk about mustard for a rub but is that necessary

It is and it isn't. You cut you butt in two? Try it both ways! Remember, a little mustard goes a long ways. I did that recently and the regulars preferred the mustard rubbed butt to the non-mustard butt. However, it was only noticable in the bark, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I once did a side by side comparison with mustard/no mustard and really there wasn't any discernible difference. I also use mustard powder in my rub so that may have been a factor. I'm a big fan of applying the rub up to 48 hours before hand though.

Also welcome to your new addiction.