Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brony Car posted:

People get more conservative as they get older

This is the "Humans only use 10% of their brains" of politics.

As in, it's totally wrong and if you would research it at all, you'd realize how wrong you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ravenfood posted:

gently caress you, central PA and your pointless, lost dreams of loving coal.

Ironically Pittsburgh today is one of the most vibrant, clean, picturesque, and trendy places outside of the core of the NYC nexus

All it took was getting rid of all the loving smog and coal plants and replacing them with universities and medical tech companies

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

JVNO posted:

A bit of 4th-dimensional chess/game theory here, but I've been wondering if there's a point at which the Republicans are forced to dump Trump to avoid President Pelosi? If a midterm Dem wave looks increasingly likely, the Dems might spin this as a mandate to 'drain the swamp' for real. And it's seeming like there might be enough to to take down Trump, Pence, and Sessions. But if the Republicans get ahead of this and sack Trump, they get to look principled and say 'let's get back to the regular business of doing government'. I think the public would be sated by Trump getting tossed, and I doubt you'd have the continuing fervor or momentum to impeach anyone else, much less Pence. There's no way that wouldn't be spun as a coup.

A disclaimer that this is far from my usual standard of rigour even for posting in these forums, but spun out from a discussion I had with a friend this morning.
Impeachment is a political process, not a legal one.

It will happen as soon as the Republican voter base turns on Trump. He's still got like, what, an 80% Republican approval rating? It would be political suicide for sitting Republican congresspeople to impeach him right now. Note how almost the only Republicans criticizing Trump right now don't care about keeping their seats.

With how pervasive and effective the right-wing media bubble is, impeachment and removal from office will not happen.

There is no 4-D chess here.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

WampaLord posted:

This is the "Humans only use 10% of their brains" of politics.

As in, it's totally wrong and if you would research it at all, you'd realize how wrong you are.

I would appreciate a link if you have one.

EDIT: because I often see stuff like this: https://www.vox.com/2016/7/1/12051622/brexit-vote-age-gap-aging-science-psychology

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 4, 2017

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Ugh. I have a friend that is hoping this tax plan passes. He works for a company that will see 750k more. He thinks he will get a bonus. There is also profit sharing. Would you even get any of that on a profit sharing? He also only saw how good his personal taxes would be for the first year.

I went on a bit of a rant on the actual long term hit to his check as well as my check, told him how hosed I was going to be because my kids are on medical and a few other points. But hey, he *might* get a bonus and all.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

dwarf74 posted:

Impeachment is a political process, not a legal one.

I know, but you need a pretence at the very least. The Russia stuff is convenient cover. I don't think any politician wants to set a precedent of impeaching someone for just being unpopular.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The 4-D chess metaphor is kind of hilarious now that they have been loving up so hard. If this was actually chess then it would involve the Right breaking for three days to develop a strategy and then coming back with the concept of an "offensive king" because the king is the most important and therefore the most powerful.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Ironically Pittsburgh today is one of the most vibrant, clean, picturesque, and trendy places outside of the core of the NYC nexus

All it took was getting rid of all the loving smog and coal plants and replacing them with universities and medical tech companies

I know, I've lived there for 10 years and why I'm so mad at central PA specifically. They had an obvious example of how to get out of a coal-induced fugue and ignored it completely in favor of dead dreams, opiates, and racism.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

exploded mummy posted:

Linda really even wasn't a force in creative other than making sure that the business side of things running smoothly.

Creative is all Vince.

She also managed to stymie federal prosecution and save the company during the steroid trials, but that's a different story.

Linda's only real story line was her playing someone who couldnt move or talk.

That says a lot about Vince's faith in her to do anything useful

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brony Car posted:

I would appreciate a link if you have one.

Hell, I've got three!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/03/do-we-become-more-conservative-with-age-young-old-politics

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2012/1/25/1058455/-

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/07/09/the-politics-of-american-generations-how-age-affects-attitudes-and-voting-behavior/

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 4, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

He's still got like, what, an 80% Republican approval rating? It would be political suicide for sitting Republican congresspeople to impeach him right now. Note how almost the only Republicans criticizing Trump right now don't care about keeping their seats.

On the other hand tho, he has 80% of Republican vote but at the same time less people are identifying as Republicans. His relative numbers might be same or even increasing, but his absolute numbers are going down.

See Skylined! link:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Wasn't Gloria Allred supposed to have some even more damning info that she promised to drop two weeks after the press conference?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CyberPingu posted:

Linda's only real story line was her playing someone who couldnt move or talk.

That says a lot about Vince's faith in her to do anything useful

Also I think she kicked Jim Ross in the balls.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Reminder that FOX news was created with the explicit purpose of preventing any future Watergates from forcing a Republican president out of office.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

I agree. Part of the problem I see is that with 9/11, the frenzy to War in Iraq, the damage it did to our economy...Republicans just sat on their hands, didn't pay attention to politics. That old conservative American adage "I don't talk politics." And then Barack Obama, a reaction to George W. Bush, comes about and suddenly they talk politics. We know civics and citizenship are basically on the hosed here, but whats worse is now every election cycle swathes of Americans who didn't care decide to get up in arms and do this reactionary jig.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Peetown Manning posted:

I agree. Part of the problem I see is that with 9/11, the frenzy to War in Iraq, the damage it did to our economy...Republicans just sat on their hands, didn't pay attention to politics. That old conservative American adage "I don't talk politics." And then Barack Obama, a reaction to George W. Bush, comes about and suddenly they talk politics. We know civics and citizenship are basically on the hosed here, but whats worse is now every election cycle swathes of Americans who didn't care decide to get up in arms and do this reactionary jig.

9/11 broke us on every conceivable level. You can easily draw a line between the first plane hitting the tower and Trump getting elected.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMt8qCl5fPk

:psyduck:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Your Taint posted:

Also I think she kicked Jim Ross in the balls.

She kicked Vince in the balls at Wrestlemania X-7

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

counterpoint: conservatism has been a deeply broken ideology since the 50s and the only difference now is that the dogwhistles have gone back into hiding and conservatives have revealed their bigotry again

e: or, perhaps more clearly, republicans have been broken since at least the 50s and when has the us not been broken lol

stone cold fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 4, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The president is above the law now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mercury Ballistic posted:

What are the odds that Washpo have another round in the chamber for Moore if he wins, just to remind the Senate to do the needful?

As a journalistic organization, I hope they don't hold onto stories for any reason other than doing due diligence

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

There Bias Two posted:

The president is above the law now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if 4D chess would actually be fun. You'd just take 3D chess which is a real thing that exists, save the state after every move, and have some condition you could fulfill to send chess pieces back in time, loading a previous state with your piece now there.

But here's the thing: if you capture the original you eliminate both pieces.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Your Taint posted:

9/11 broke us on every conceivable level. You can easily draw a line between the first plane hitting the tower and Trump getting elected.

Nah. 9/11 may have hastened the end, but Reagan was the start of the destruction of the Republican party. That's when they formally committed to building the party into a coalition of single-issue voters and lying to them to string them along.

That's when they seriously implemented the Southern Strategy, built the Moral Majority, and turned the NRA into paranoid crazies. Policy based on honest analysis went out the window. Starting on that path meant that each election cycle had to get crazier and more extreme to keep the coalition together.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At least now he should say to himself "Sweet, now I can just go interfere with ongoing investigations and trials by literally giving speeches about them right on the evening news, my lawyer said it was a-ok"

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

What are the odds that Washpo have another round in the chamber for Moore if he wins, just to remind the Senate to do the needful?

There is nothing less commercially useful for a news organization than a scoop that has no potential real world effect because the subject matter is stale. You report on stuff as soon as possible as long as readers care about it and will buy copies or otherwise view your site. If Moore gets elected, a lot of the air goes out of this story, sadly.

They would not hold one in the chamber like that.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Trump's other lawyer: "You can't rape your own wife."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deteriorata posted:

Nah. 9/11 may have hastened the end, but Reagan was the start of the destruction of the Republican party. That's when they formally committed to building the party into a coalition of single-issue voters and lying to them to string them along.

That's when they seriously implemented the Southern Strategy, built the Moral Majority, and turned the NRA into paranoid crazies. Policy based on honest analysis went out the window. Starting on that path meant that each election cycle had to get crazier and more extreme to keep the coalition together.

You can draw a throughline from Nixon to Trump but each of those steps was discrete and none were inevitable. Like, Mencken predicted the eventuality of Trump back in 1920:

quote:

As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

If there's one single policy change that caused Trump, it's the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine, which allowed the rise of Limbaugh and Fox. If there's a political cause, it's the abject failure of the Bush administration, which forced Fox and Limbaugh to defend the indefensible and pushed the Republican electorate so far over the edge, in the failure of Republican Party policy, that they were left ripe targets for a Trumplike charlatan.

But none of this was inevitable.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Deteriorata posted:

You're not entirely wrong about Reagan, but no 9/11 means no "radical Islamic terror" bullshit, no talk of the wall, no ISIS, no Iraq or Afghanistan war, no travel ban, no "I will ban all Muslims from entering the country", etc

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But none of this was inevitable.

I saw a meme in my feed the other day that said something like "how come in time travel movies everyone's afraid they might change something small that dramatically effects the future on a global scale, but IRL we all think we're powerless to influence the future outcome?"

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Gingrich tried to claim that it's impossible for the President to obstruct justice a few months ago.

quote:

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.), a staunch supporter of President Trump, said Friday that a "president cannot obstruct justice."

Gingrich said that as president, Trump was well within his authority to fire the head of the FBI.

As speaker he voted for the articles of impeachment against Bill Clinton, including this one.

quote:

3. The president obstructed justice in an effort to delay, impede, cover up and conceal the existence of evidence related to the Jones case.

Approved by House 221-212

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zero.

They would publish as soon as they can verify it because there is the very real possibility that the N.Y. Times is also working on the same story.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Time announced their person of the year shortlist, choices include:
Colin Kaepernick
Kim Jong Un
Bezos
Dreamers (in the sense of immigrants)
Robert Mueller

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
From the "Duh" Dept.:

https://www.avclub.com/billy-bush-comes-out-of-exile-to-confirm-that-s-trump-o-1820973440

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Your Taint posted:

You're not entirely wrong about Reagan, but no 9/11 means no "radical Islamic terror" bullshit, no talk of the wall, no ISIS, no Iraq or Afghanistan war, no travel ban, no "I will ban all Muslims from entering the country", etc

I guess I see that stuff as the result of where the party was at that point. Without Reagan's horseshit, a sane party would have reacted differently.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Uglycat posted:

I saw a meme in my feed the other day that said something like "how come in time travel movies everyone's afraid they might change something small that dramatically effects the future on a global scale, but IRL we all think we're powerless to influence the future outcome?"

The time traveler knows which baby is Hitler.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Helen Highwater posted:

Gingrich tried to claim that it's impossible for the President to obstruct justice a few months ago.

As speaker he voted for the articles of impeachment against Bill Clinton, including this one.

Bill wasn't a legitimate president, or some poo poo.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Helen Highwater posted:

Yeah that clip got a lot of play after he fired Comey

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

exploded mummy posted:

Time announced their person of the year shortlist, choices include:
Colin Kaepernick
Kim Jong Un
Bezos
Dreamers (in the sense of immigrants)
Robert Mueller

https://twitter.com/connortryan/status/937670583621386241

loving lol if they pick Jinping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

skylined! posted:

i don't think a single person in washington expects trump to make it to november 2018

sidenote:
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/937705566511812608

Prior to the 2016 election, I considered switching from Democrat to Independent because I was unhappy with the direction that party was headed. I still would have voted straight D, even if doing so is a throwaway vote here in suburban Utah.

After this year of Republican control? Ya, no chance in hell I'm doing anything that can be interpreted as remotely approving of the Republican party. Even declaring myself Independent wouldn't be enough of a stand against these morons.

• Locked thread