Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
IT security management is one of the only fields I've seen with Master's degree preferred on some job postings, and it's in place of 2-3 years as a security analyst / engineer. So again if you don't care to rise up to middle management it's not going to do you any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

He said undergrads in his post, stop being so confusing.

What's confusing about that? Undergrads are those attending college that haven't yet graduated. We were given advice in our senior year about what comes next.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

bull3964 posted:

What's confusing about that? Undergrads are those attending college that haven't yet graduated. We were given advice in our senior year about what comes next.
I was joking around, obviously I misread, chill, it was my bad.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I saw an ad for a junior dev position. A BS in CS and 0-2 years experience. Or if you had no degree, they were gracious enough to let you make up for it with 8 years of experience.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

bull3964 posted:

Get a masters in business if you intend to be an entrepreneur in your field or want to climb for those C level positions.

An MBA is literally the most useless degree you can get if you want to be an "entrepreneur". Almost no successful businesses that you've heard of were founded by someone who completed their MBA, and almost all failing businesses you've heard about were made into a much worse disasters than they needed to be by MBAs. It's an anti-degree more than anything else.

Get an MBA strictly for the networking and to pad your resume into the D/C-suite.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

nullfunction posted:

I'll hire someone with a couple years of experience who can demonstrate their drive by their accomplishments over a fresh graduate with a high GPA and honors or whatever that hasn't done anything yet. Even if you're doing nothing more than setting up a lab and playing with some toy projects, you're still doing more than a lot of people bother to do.

So how do you show home lab work? Do you keep it as a portfolio with a bunch of pages along the lines of "Here was my target machine, here was my attacking machine, I used a port scanner and found these ports open, so I exploited it by using "portowner3k" and eventually escalated myself to root, this could have been prevented by doing x,y, and z"?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KildarX posted:

So how do you show home lab work? Do you keep it as a portfolio with a bunch of pages along the lines of "Here was my target machine, here was my attacking machine, I used a port scanner and found these ports open, so I exploited it by using "portowner3k" and eventually escalated myself to root, this could have been prevented by doing x,y, and z"?

You write an incident / breach report as if you were a contracted pen-tester or internal infosec staff, showing all of the information you mentioned in a professional manner. Then you bring it to an interview and offer it as an example of your work.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

KildarX posted:

Practice attacking things in your home lab. The best way to understand how to defend against attacks is to know how to do them yourself. Get involved in local infosec groups and do some ctf exercises. Google the Arizona cyber warfare range too, that's a fun one.

e; oh and look up Bsides conferences in your area, often very cheap and fantastic networking opportunities

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 2, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You write an incident / breach report as if you were a contracted pen-tester or internal infosec staff, showing all of the information you mentioned in a professional manner. Then you bring it to an interview and offer it as an example of your work.

Cool thanks, I'm gonna start doing this when I mess around with my home lab.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yes, absolutely write it up like it was a real incident. To show progression, you might even think about doing a blog, even if nobody is reading it, not only to show you are developing skills (because your first attempts are probably going to be bad, you just won't realize it until after you've done it a few times, just do your best and roll with it) but also as a reference for yourself. Pick a few different attacks (maybe some popular ones and a few lesser-known CVEs) and learn everything you can about them. If you're writing tools to probe at vulnerabilities or automate attacks, that's all work you can show to a potential employer.

Just don't get too hung up on the attack -> mitigate the attack pattern. You can be a genius hacker but unless you have an in with the firms that are doing a lot of red team work, that's secondary to your ability to think about process and write effective policies. Your main job is to improve organizational security as a whole. Keep in mind you have to balance policy against end users, and that if you make things too complicated for them you'll just have people circumventing the system you so carefully designed in ways that you never see coming. Research and test drive (if you can) some of the industry standards for the kind of company you want to work for. Big shops are thinking about things like DDoS mitigation, IDS/IPS, compliance with things like PCI and SOX, and data privacy as it relates to moving things out of their datacenters and into a cloud. Understanding networking is crucial. Explore those topics and see where it takes you.

And good luck! Check back in with the thread as you progress. I'm not an infosec guy by trade but I find it very interesting and in my sector (financial services) it's a big priority, lest you end up being the next Equifax.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In my expert opinion get a BA in History...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

In my expert opinion get a BA in History...

Or a BS in Psych.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

LochNessMonster posted:

That sounds like a lot of fun. Do you also do public cloud deployments and if so, do you favor AWS, GCP or something else?

I previously worked for DigitalOcean, Rackspace and ibm/softlayer so I’m tainted. I’d say use whatever cloud is best for you. Stay away from aws lockedin services though if you can. Use opensource solutions so you can be multi cloud. There’s nothing more compelling to get you discounts if you can just terraform your entire infrastructure on a different host in minutes. Your account manager will get you discounts if you’re that open.

Personally I think azure is gonna win out in the end. Microsoft has too much enterprise buyin right now. No one likes softlayer. Ibm is just loving them up left and right.

In the end hybrid cloud will be what most people stick with. Some poo poo just can’t be in a public cloud.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

I previously worked for DigitalOcean, Rackspace and ibm/softlayer so I’m tainted.

How was working at Digital Ocean? This might sound a little cliché but their corporate culture sounds incredible.

jaegerx posted:

Personally I think azure is gonna win out in the end. Microsoft has too much enterprise buyin right now. No one likes softlayer. Ibm is just loving them up left and right.

Disclaimer: I'm a MS-FTE and this is my personal opinion.

Azure is pretty incredible now that Azure Service Manager is dead and we have Azure Resource Manager.

The enormous mass of PaaS Services from Azure isn't hype but real and the future of technology. Yes, it's true not everything will move to PaaS but Azure has IaaS offering that work with PaaS. Granted, there are a few technical blockers that make this difficult but give it a few years and they'll be gone or significantly diminished.

Personally, I don't think one Cloud will win it all, ever but we'll probably be stuck with a few large vendors. When it comes to choice I wouldn't say you have to pick one as there's nothing necessarily preventing workloads existing across On-Premise, Azure, AWS, GCP, etc. Once the Cloud matures I think we'll see a lot more work focused on migrating workloads between Cloud Platforms and Cross-Cloud workloads.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 3, 2017

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

How was working at Digital Ocean? This might sound a little cliché but their corporate culture sounds incredible.

Amazing. They truly take care of their remote workers. They’re easily the best place I’ve ever worked. I only left because I was tired of not logging into stuff. I just kinda recommended things to the customers and hope they listened to me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sitting at work at 7am on a Sunday babysitting a Cisco consultant while he implements iWAN. Good times.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've had to pass on that petro opportunity due to stupid family financial obligations. It was the longest of longshots anyway. At least it spurred me to update my wardrobe a little.

EDIT: To be more specific I bought a suit that is probably the best fitting one I've ever had, and two pairs of dress shoes. I'm going to wear the suit to work this week and see how many people freak out. They can barely accept it when I wear a nice dress shirt, the suit should send them round the bend.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 4, 2017

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had to pass on that petro opportunity due to stupid family financial obligations. It was the longest of longshots anyway. At least it spurred me to update my wardrobe a little.

EDIT: To be more specific I bought a suit that is probably the best fitting one I've ever had, and two pairs of dress shoes. I'm going to wear the suit to work this week and see how many people freak out. They can barely accept it when I wear a nice dress shirt, the suit should send them round the bend.

You are obligated to not make $Texas for some reason?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

RFC2324 posted:

You are obligated to not make $Texas for some reason?

I seem to recall him saying he's the primary caretaker of his elderly parents(s)? I presume him moving to the Midwest to make $Texas may have adverse effects on said caretaking situation.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SeaborneClink posted:

I seem to recall him saying he's the primary caretaker of his elderly parents(s)? I presume him moving to the Midwest to make $Texas may have adverse effects on said caretaking situation.

that was my first thought, but he said financial obligations so v0v

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
To all of you re:Invent people, how was it? What were the highlights and hot takes?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Methanar posted:

To all of you re:Invent people, how was it? What were the highlights and hot takes?

They all drowned in Jeff Bezos' cum, sorry

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dick Trauma posted:

That'll sure help for later. I wish I had ponied up and updated my wardrobe before I had an interview, I knew had to, because even with a week's notice nothing would have arrived in time. I'm tall but skinny, so I need to order most stuff online since stores only stock standard size and big AND tall, but not just tall. I might order stuff after the interview on Wednesday if they don't just strike me out so it's ready for the final.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sickening posted:

I have my masters and this post gave me a chuckle. A masters is going to help you reach executive position down the line or get a job with businesses that are very education centered. It’s not going to get you a 30k raise on its own.

Mine did.

I was a senior systems engineer making $130k when I was working while I got my masters. When I got laid off, I went looking and found a gig as a principal consultant and they offered $180. All I had to do was send them a scanned copy of my diploma. I poo poo you not.

Now I’ve been a lead TAM at AWS for over three years and aiming for Principal TAM. And ask me what my stock grant price was compared to where the stock is now.

I credit this trajectory jump all to my MBA.

But the benefit you get out of it is also what you put into it, so work hard, study hard and get smart.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

jaegerx posted:

Stay away from aws lockedin services though if you can. Use opensource solutions so you can be multi cloud.

Please don’t do this. “Multi cloud” means you are forced to use the only features common between cloud providers which means you get to use none of the cloud provider specific stuff like DynamoDB or Lambda.

Pick and commit to a provider, any provider, so you can fully engage with their feature set and not be stuck in EC2/S3 land (or whatever the equivalent is in Azure.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The MCSA and MCSE certs helped me get to where I am now. However the senior from my previous workplace who mentored me did advice me to get a bachelors and he himself regrets that he didn't and is now going to school at night to get his bachelors.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
I start my IT internship today! It's helpdesk, though my boss said he won't have me work on tickets until I'm a little more familiar with things. This is a sideways move for me. I originally applied for an accounting internship at a county government office, but their IT manager liked my resume and offered me an internship in IT instead.

It's a small office with only three people. Everything is Microsoft. The manager is new himself, and he convinced the county to replace practically every piece of tech his department runs, so everything is the latest and greatest as of mid-2017.

I was very impressed by the big-screen-TV they had showing real-time status updates for their network, but then again, at the last (non-work-from-home) place I worked, they still used Windows 2000 and the "IT office" was a room filled with dead beige boxes and no people.

Curvature of Earth fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 5, 2017

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Congratulations!

You might want to start thinking about the type and label of booze is your favorite. It’ll help to know this ahead of time...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

EDIT: n/m

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

God drat man. I read all that before you deleted it and :argh:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

drat, Dick. Your family is hardcore taking advantage of you bro :(

Controversial opinion: their irresponsibility does not make them your responsibility, especially since it sounds like they're guilting you into it.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 4, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Your family sucks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'd cut everyone off and move far away and never tell anyone anything. But it's family and I can't imagine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I'd cut everyone off and move far away and never tell anyone anything. But it's family and I can't imagine.

It's funny but when I watch "Better Call Saul" and see him working at that Cinnabon I think "OH BOY THAT WOULD BE GREAT!"

EDIT: Not willing to grow a mustache though.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I cut ties with my toxic immediately family when I was 16 and moved 200 miles away. It was super effective.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes having no family owns

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This thread got real. :(

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My wife moved to Alaska to get away from the toxic parts of her family.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Fool posted:

My wife moved to Alaska to get away from the toxic parts of her family.

This is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Please don’t do this. “Multi cloud” means you are forced to use the only features common between cloud providers which means you get to use none of the cloud provider specific stuff like DynamoDB or Lambda.

Pick and commit to a provider, any provider, so you can fully engage with their feature set and not be stuck in EC2/S3 land (or whatever the equivalent is in Azure.

I'm curious about this. Specifically regarding Lambda/Azure Functions/Cloud Functions.

All of the cloud providers have a lot of equivalent products. Apart from the differences in deployment methods, how different can they really be?

I only have any real experience with Azure, but apart from deployment, what other considerations would cause it to be untenable to move a micro-service product from one provider to another? Or even have it's components spread across multiple providers?