Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Didn't Flagg and Enchantress die in the original version before the reshoots? The scene with Flagg and Will Smith at the end is pure reshoot, I think Scott Eastwood had Kinnaman's part in that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

I'm also enjoying this little round of "key character dies? Slipknot?" but no, not Slipknot.

However, speaking of Slipknot, I'm not sad they cut down his part, his dialogue was apparently atrocious, but what a waste of Adam Beach.

I remember hearing rumors that Rick Flag dies in an earlier cut of the film.

Edit: Got beat to it

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm down with Sony buying Fox if it means getting an adaptation of Spider-Man and the X-Men

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I like how just in case you weren't sure if this was pure evil or not now loving Comcast is involved

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

I'm also enjoying this little round of "key character dies? Slipknot?" but no, not Slipknot.

Yeah, I know not Slipknot, because not a key character and we see him die. Who then?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It is kind of weird how a movie named Suicide Squad ended up having vastly fewer character deaths than a Star Wars movie in the same year.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm down with Sony buying Fox if it means getting an adaptation of Spider-Man and the X-Men

Huge mega-corps are bad. Monopolies are bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Conal Cochran posted:

Edit: Got beat to it

I mentioned this a few pages ago, but the re-shoots are glaringly obvious. There's maybe 15 or 20 minutes of the movie where Kinnaman is like 25 pounds lighter, looking positively gaunt, than he is for the rest of it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Conal Cochran posted:

Yeah, but that can't be what FoldableHuman means by "the final film would be so confusing that even people who really liked it... would miss out on the death of a key character" since we aren't confused into missing that Flag died. He simply doesn't die and we're clearly shown that. That's not an issue with Suicide Squad's editing, so I'm still curious who he's talking about.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

Squad's editing is a direct consequence of a directionless franchise plan that tried to fast-track projects with the conflicting goals of both catching up to Marvel's CU and delivering a boutique Auteur product a la The Dark Knight. They hired "dark auteur" David Ayer to write + direct and then gave him a timetable better suited to a "crank it out and get it done" for-hire director. With six weeks to write, zero weeks to workshop, a hard release date, and a studio mandate to have a "big" villain, the end result was an almost four hour grind of character introductions (my sources in the studio have confirmed that getting everyone into Belle Reve took almost two hours in the cut that was screened before WB started freaking out), a thin plot, and a fight against an enemy that the protagonists had no business confronting.

WB more or less set Ayer up to fail, and then made it all the worse by heavily meddling in the process of getting the edit under control. The final film was pretty much doomed to some deep structural flaws simply by the nature of its creation, but the panicked tampering basically ensured that the final film would be so confusing that even people who really liked it would still have trouble putting scenes back in order, would miss out on the death of a key character, and would have trouble deciphering the actual plot of the movie.

Still, as a train wreck it's grown on me and I hope that someday I'll get to see the four hour pre-Trailer Park workprint.

That's pretty fascinating. I hear the DC exec shakeup happened pre Justice League, I wonder it was a result of the disappointing reception of Suicide Squad.

Do you think that the fumbling on WB's end for not only Suicide Squad but most every movie in the DC-verse since The Dark Knight is a result of WB's splintered organization, compared to Marvel's uniform (post Avengers) hierarchy (Kevin Feige is da boss)?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

That's pretty fascinating. I hear the DC exec shakeup happened pre Justice League, I wonder it was a result of the disappointing reception of Suicide Squad.

Were they disappointed with it's reception, though? It's pretty clear from FoldableHuman's description that they were in a blind panic during the filming & editing processes but judging from how many sequels and spinoffs they now have planned around it they can't be all that disappointed.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Honestly, I think exec meddling shot their cinematic universe in the gut.

I think if they'd gone with the extended cut (or a modified version of it) the reception to BvS would have been quite a bit better, they would have panicked less about JL and still left more creative control to Zack, who probably would have left anyways after JL was done. Meanwhile if BvS hadn't gotten a bad reception they might have been less twitchy about SS too.

Pretty much none of the execs decisions have been good in regards to DCEU.

That's my hot take on it.

Now their best hope of salvaging it is giving the reins to Patti Jenkins and have her work her magic. WW was just a bit above average, but it's exactly the kind of average that people seem to enjoy and sells tickets.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, but that can't be what FoldableHuman means by "the final film would be so confusing that even people who really liked it... would miss out on the death of a key character" since we aren't confused into missing that Flag died. He simply doesn't die and we're clearly shown that. That's not an issue with Suicide Squad's editing, so I'm still curious who he's talking about.

I'm guessing he means the security guard who gives Harley the phone.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Shageletic posted:

Do you think that the fumbling on WB's end for not only Suicide Squad but most every movie in the DC-verse since The Dark Knight is a result of WB's splintered organization, compared to Marvel's uniform (post Avengers) hierarchy (Kevin Feige is da boss)?

Yeah, the idea was that Nolan was going to be the Feige of the DCEU but no one bothered to actually get Nolan to agree to that. They just figured that if they kept greenlighting his pet projects he'd keep making DC movies, like the 1-for-1 tradeoff deal they made with him for the Batman trilogy. Then Chris went and directed half of TDKR by phone because he's out in Alberta location scouting, drops off a three page story treatment for Man of Steel, and disappears to make Interstellar and Dunkirk. The tutelage of Nolan was supposed to keep Snyder and Goyer under control, two people whose work is exponentially better the less raw power they have over the project, but the power vacuum of Nolan's absence left Snyder at first de facto in charge and then actually in charge. The problem from there is that a coherent multi-film strategy isn't Snyder's strong suit and WB wasn't super confident in their plan anyway (because they didn't have one beyond "Chris will make a money and Oscar machine and we'll all be rich and loved!"). This leads to crap like Squad's production schedule, because they weren't willing to go all in on either sticking to the Auteur route or pulling the plug on Snyder's extremely uncoordinated vision, and no one actually had a plan.

Post-Squad it was apparent that despite the fact money was being made something was broken and audience goodwill was quickly burning. BvS underperformed substantially, with a severe second week dropoff, and consensus on Squad was that Margot Robbie, Will Smith, Viola Davis, and Jay Hernandez carried a trashfire of a film into hell and back through sheer force of charisma.

TL;DR from there, Snyder was ad libbing a 12 part epic on why the Fortress of Solitude should be in Galt's Gulch and no one at WB knew how to wrangle that into a coherent, stable franchise. Shareholders get upset because they're three movies deep and no closer to catching Marvel, Justice League already looks like it's going to be more of the same (remember when it was supposed to be two movies?!), people get shuffled, and Kevin Tsujihara uses Snyder's absence due to tragedy as an opportunity to muscle him out of the picture almost entirely.

Edit:

Conal Cochran posted:

Nope.

FoldableHuman fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 4, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Conal Cochran posted:

That's not a key character.

Weird we're being left guessing rather than FoldableHuman just saying who they meant.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Just post who you mean. This guessing game is stupid.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Sir Kodiak posted:

That's not a key character.

Weird we're being left guessing rather than FoldableHuman just saying who they meant.

It's equally weird that only one main character dies and yet everyone's scratching their heads, right?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Hrm, i didn’t want to watch a stupid YouTube video so now the YouTube video has been brought to the thread in human form, great.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FoldableHuman posted:

It's equally weird that only one main character dies and yet everyone's scratching their heads, right?

Well, is either Diablo or Eastwood's character

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Snyder had any plans re: the Fortress of Solitude and Galt's Gulch, unless I'm misremembering Man of Steel. I think Galt's Gulch is from a different setting entirely

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FoldableHuman posted:

Yeah, the idea was that Nolan was going to be the Feige of the DCEU but no one bothered to actually get Nolan to agree to that. They just figured that if they kept greenlighting his pet projects he'd keep making DC movies, like the 1-for-1 tradeoff deal they made with him for the Batman trilogy. Then Chris went and directed half of TDKR by phone because he's out in Alberta location scouting, drops off a three page story treatment for Man of Steel, and disappears to make Interstellar and Dunkirk. The tutelage of Nolan was supposed to keep Snyder and Goyer under control, two people whose work is exponentially better the less raw power they have over the project, but the power vacuum of Nolan's absence left Snyder at first de facto in charge and then actually in charge. The problem from there is that a coherent multi-film strategy isn't Snyder's strong suit and WB wasn't super confident in their plan anyway (because they didn't have one beyond "Chris will make a money and Oscar machine and we'll all be rich and loved!"). This leads to crap like Squad's production schedule, because they weren't willing to go all in on either sticking to the Auteur route or pulling the plug on Snyder's extremely uncoordinated vision, and no one actually had a plan.

Post-Squad it was apparent that despite the fact money was being made something was broken and audience goodwill was quickly burning. BvS underperformed substantially, with a severe second week dropoff, and consensus on Squad was that Margot Robbie, Will Smith, Viola Davis, and Jay Hernandez carried a trashfire of a film into hell and back through sheer force of charisma.

TL;DR from there, Snyder was ad libbing a 12 part epic on why the Fortress of Solitude should be in Galt's Gulch and no one at WB knew how to wrangle that into a coherent, stable franchise. Shareholders get upset because they're three movies deep and no closer to catching Marvel, Justice League already looks like it's going to be more of the same (remember when it was supposed to be two movies?!), people get shuffled, and Kevin Tsujihara uses Snyder's absence due to tragedy as an opportunity to muscle him out of the picture almost entirely.

This feels like fan-fiction from AICN.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

So you mean El Diablo, who clearly dies in the explosion that took out Incubus :jerkbag:

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 4, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There's no fortress of solitude in Man of Steel. The scout ship can be considered a stand-in but Superman doesn't have that place in this canon. It's why he goes for his walkabout in Batman v Superman.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

There's no fortress of solitude in Man of Steel. The scout ship can be considered a stand-in but Superman doesn't have that place in this canon. It's why he goes for his walkabout in Batman v Superman.

Hmm. Foldable Human's claims are looking more and more suspect as the evidence comes in...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I actually half-expected that the scout ship would become that, since Clark talks with his biological father's ghost in the same way he did in the Donner film but then Zod comes in and ruins everything. What a jerk! Typical rear end in a top hat. He didn't like where the argument was going so he just deleted the person who was debating with. He should have gave up this world destruction crap and became a liberal commentator on twitter.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FoldableHuman's post about bad editing is the perfect example of the sort of nonsense you see about these movies when someone bothers to post details: to the limited extent that it addresses something that is actually editing, it doesn't actually correspond to the movie.

Presumably this is why most people make the wise decision to not go into detail, but just reference that someone, somewhere did once so they can't be bothered to do so now.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The actual problem with Suicide Squad's editing is that they took the reveal that the bad guy was enchantress out of the middle/end of the movie and put it in the beginning of the movie such that we knew it despite none of the characters knowing.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sir Kodiak posted:

FoldableHuman's post about bad editing is the perfect example of the sort of nonsense you see about these movies when someone bothers to post details: to the limited extent that it addresses something that is actually editing, it doesn't actually correspond to the movie.

Presumably this is why most people make the wise decision to not go into detail, but just reference that someone, somewhere did once so they can't be bothered to do so now.

Nerds are ruining film, let alone critique, with their memetic hot takes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dan owns. This thread is wack.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CelticPredator posted:

As soon as you show this thread what actual critique looks like they run screaming back to sycophantic SMG-style first year film student analysis because they can't handle anything that requires reaction beyond "me too!!! this sounded smart and i think this now"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

sycophantic SMG-style first year film student analysis because they can't handle anything that requires reaction beyond "me too!!! this sounded smart and i think this now"

Aren't these diametrically opposed actions? Sounds like dropping the YouTube video in the thread as an answer instead of even cribbing and summarizing it themselves is the epitome of this post.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

lol, "actual critique" in support of the guy whose main contributions were hiding behind a guessing game and some light fiction about the inner working of a studio.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Who is Dan?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

As soon as you show this thread what actual critique looks like they run screaming back to sycophantic SMG-style first year film student analysis because they can't handle anything that requires reaction beyond "me too!!! this sounded smart and i think this now"
You think Dan Olsen sounds too smart?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the rarely-seen position where critiquing a movie is good but being a film student is bad

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

the rarely-seen position where critiquing a movie is good but being a film student is bad

I think you'll find the important thing here is that bbog agrees with the fellow therefor he is smart and other people are stupid

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Therefore it is best to critique student films

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Were they disappointed with it's reception, though? It's pretty clear from FoldableHuman's description that they were in a blind panic during the filming & editing processes but judging from how many sequels and spinoffs they now have planned around it they can't be all that disappointed.

Who knows exactly what is going on. But it seems logical to me that in a realm not governed by actual profits and losses, but rather a horse race deciding whose shares go higher in basically a duopoly, the appearance of losing can be deeply affecting. And the narrative is that Marvel is very much ahead.

So the scramble for related properties might just be a Sony like panic for Aunt May related projects a couple years back. I mean, in the end all these movies make bank but I think for a lot of dumb reasons primacy counts.

Timby posted:

This feels like fan-fiction from AICN.

It might not be the truth, but good god its a relief from the constant Synder wars in here.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

In still trying to understand that post. Say what you want, smg is at least putting in work making their theories "work" with in the context of the film. The act of pulling a relevant zizek quote for their, at worst, off topic ramblings, is more work and thought than movie bobs entire channel.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

I think you'll find the important thing here is that bbog agrees with the fellow therefor he is smart and other people are stupid

He is the Porg to CelticPredator's Episode VIII-esque recursion.

• Locked thread