Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Im back in about half a day, so i can get back on that 90 carp stuff. Also do we still have a castle cause thread sounds like we got hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I'm going to end up buying a new ticket since I made a random character thinking there would be another character wipe when beta ends.

How many splits are we currently at?

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

No split. 2 dudes left. Castle still standing.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Is there no advantage to have multiple camps around the map?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've had this game on my watchlist for a while, is it actually decent? I'd enjoy playing with goons and destroying everyone else while yelling fofofofo at them.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

COMRADES posted:

I've had this game on my watchlist for a while, is it actually decent? I'd enjoy playing with goons and destroying everyone else while yelling fofofofo at them.

It's ok, everything's got a layer of russian jank over it, the skill grind is harsh but really inconsistent. So like 60-90 carpentry takes x5 food and power hour and prepping a huge pile of logs and then going to town and you still get maybe like most of the way there. NL 60-90 can be done in a single day with some baklava and mushroom gathering (which you can AFK and watch some netflix during). The heavy grind is the case for any level 90 that has actual stuff at it and people are waiting on you to complete, it sucks. The only mid-to-high-tier skills that aren't like this are ones where someone's worked out a way to automate it somehow. Everything requires hours of labor to get done and strong interdependencies. If you want to accomplish anything even at a basic level you need like 15 active people at minimum, and guilds that have 100 active are basically gods in full plate. This is both really cool and also sucks. The combat is fun and interesting, penalties for death can get quite serious unless you're paying for insurance, are a goody good boy, and have a high level preacher. The game brutally discourages ganking randoms and your shelf life in this game will be less than a week if you try to play it like UO. More than anything, if you play a lot you're stuffed in a bottle episode with whoever your other active guildies are, and if you don't really like them, you're gonna quit.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

COMRADES posted:

It's very decent if you know what you're in for. It's exactly at the title suggests- Wurm grind and crafting and building and terraforming with Mount and Blade combat.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also lol, today the devs admitted that the reason the siege totems are so expensive is sieging isn't actually in the game yet. IB's are in the game but they're not sure if they work so please don't drop any battle totems until next week.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

COMRADES posted:

there is a lot of potential, most of it unexplored or unused

i highly recommend this game if you have the dollars and willpower to grind 8 hours a day for three weeks

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

30.5 Days posted:

Also lol, today the devs admitted that the reason the siege totems are so expensive is sieging isn't actually in the game yet. IB's are in the game but they're not sure if they work so please don't drop any battle totems until next week.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

30.5 Days posted:

So we were never under any threat of losing anything that isn't off claim or on our characters, and no one will be for a week at least probably longer
lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Delamore posted:

So we were never under any threat of losing anything that isn't off claim or on our characters, and no one will be for a week at least probably longer
lol

I mean, we still should move, butttt we aren't in a rush now.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Justin Tyme posted:

I mean, we still should move, butttt we aren't in a rush now.
you gotta move and get walls before they fix it, so you should be in a rush

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
either stay and build up poo poo now or move asap so you can get all the bullshit work done, don't gently caress around or you'll get owned harder

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
This is a great time to join, if people are interested. Plenty of work needs doing and plenty of things/people to pvp and raid. Check the OP for discord info and links.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

There a good startup guide in the discord links?

Edit: how likely am I to hear people called gay slurs in comms?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

walruscat posted:

We have a bunch of info pinned, and everyone else is pretty helpful.

As for the second point -- probably not. And if you do, tell someone.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

We have a bunch of info pinned, and everyone else is pretty helpful.

As for the second point -- probably not. And if you do, tell someone.

Awesome. Will download the game shortly.

I love that the aesthetics of the game seem to be season 1 Vikings

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Yeah so far there haven't really been any shitheads in chat and I know myself and most others would like to keep this game chill and for lack of better words "nontoxic".

Agreed with the aesthetics, I love that they went with full grit and no bright colors or fantasy clothes/decorations.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

walruscat posted:

There are a couple of us playing that are gay, so I doubt you will hear anything. If you do just tell one of the admins and they will get booted.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i highly recommend this game if you have the dollars and willpower to grind 8 hours a day for three weeks

So, I'm interested but is this really the commitment required because I don't have time for this right now. Would I still have fun and be useful to the group with say 1-2 hours a day?

Is the grinding mentioned just to get the skills up and after that it's fine?

quote:

The game brutally discourages ganking randoms and your shelf life in this game will be less than a week if you try to play it like UO.

:(

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Is all the previous advice in this thread for creating a new character still correct?

forge
Feb 26, 2006

COMRADES posted:

So, I'm interested but is this really the commitment required because I don't have time for this right now. Would I still have fun and be useful to the group with say 1-2 hours a day?

Is the grinding mentioned just to get the skills up and after that it's fine?

:(

Keep in mind we have scripts that will level your junk. It also depends on what want to do. IMO it is no different than any other MMO. Except instead of levels you have skill levels. I wouldn't say it takes any longer to level from 36-37 in old WoW than it does to raise a skill in this game from 36-37. So keep that in mind. I think because there are no dings, and what not that people get lost in the monotony of "its super slow". If you don't focus on how your NOT L50, you'll likely have fun because there is a ton of poo poo to do, like an insane amount. So if you don't hyper focus you won't really care.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

You can nearly be useful immediately in pvp if you select your race as Khoor and put all your combat skills into Slinger so you can start at 55 slinger. Once you hit 60 you fully unlock archery and can begin leveling crossbows/bows. Also dump skill traits into strength, not sure what longbows/heavy crossbows need but you can get a head start on it. The grind can suck, but autoclickers can help you do menial stuff while afk and having more archers, even brand new archers, helps a ton.

Actually, you can be a crossbowman/bowman immediately if you have over 30 slinger right? Still smart to put it on 55 if you can't play that often though, since you would need 60 eventually anyway.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

You can nearly be useful immediately in pvp if you select your race as Khoor and put all your combat skills into Slinger so you can start at 55 slinger. Once you hit 60 you fully unlock archery and can begin leveling crossbows/bows. Also dump skill traits into strength, not sure what longbows/heavy crossbows need but you can get a head start on it. The grind can suck, but autoclickers can help you do menial stuff while afk and having more archers, even brand new archers, helps a ton.

Actually, you can be a crossbowman/bowman immediately if you have over 30 slinger right? Still smart to put it on 55 if you can't play that often though, since you would need 60 eventually anyway.

Thats what I did. Went Khoor, put all my points into slinger, artisan, and willpower. Hopefully thats all still good.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

COMRADES posted:

grinding?

basically you can contribute with minimal combat skills in a fuckton of ways, you can afk grind up combat skills so it's actually nowhere near as bad as I said.

also character creation is huge for helping you bypass a ton of the grind

make sure you choose the asian race with +55 slinging when you start

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Do you completely lose your ticket if you delete a character?

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Jacada posted:

There are a couple of us playing that are gay, so I doubt you will hear anything. If you do just tell one of the admins and they will get booted.

Thanks!

After I buy the game do I need to do anything to activate my client? It's downloaded and everything but when I press Play nothing happens.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If you logged in via steam, you need to link your acct on their website to steam in order for the launcher to know you own the game. I'm not home at the moment but if you look it's not hard to find out how. You should install the game when you hit play, I believe. Make sure you are on NA server.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah, 30 slinger for 29.999 archer - simple bows and light crossbows, 60 slinger for > 30 archer fancier bows.

Longbows and crossbows need 60str/60agi (all archers are dum) but you can afk grind that pretty easy right now.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
55 slinger is great if your'e going full archer but even if you don't want archer, dump 30 into slinger at char creation and the rest into your actual preference. Assaulter is great for reach, Militia is great anti-cav, Cav is great cav, and Footman is great defensive melee. Having a light crossbow and some bolts on you at all times is a great opener as a melee and then hit R to cancel the reload and go melee. Leveling slinger from 0 to 30 is the most dour activity the game has to offer, so just don't do it.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

30.5 Days posted:

55 slinger is great if your'e going full archer but even if you don't want archer, dump 30 into slinger at char creation and the rest into your actual preference. Assaulter is great for reach, Militia is great anti-cav, Cav is great cav, and Footman is great defensive melee. Having a light crossbow and some bolts on you at all times is a great opener as a melee and then hit R to cancel the reload and go melee. Leveling slinger from 0 to 30 is the most dour activity the game has to offer, so just don't do it.

Yeah, 30 slinger is frankly mandatory for all combat classes, there are lots of times when we need all hands shooting from the walls.

Also, you need 90 slinger for literal hand grenades (naptha pots).

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Man this sounds somewhat tantalizing (and also brutalizing). If it was free to try out, I'd give it a whirl.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
i leveled my demo from 0-70 or something beating on a hut with a torch mostly afk for like 30 minutes or an hour tops, it also leveled my strength and agi by a shitload

when its afkable its REALLY afkable

but some poo poo is going to suck huge rear end (digging)

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

If you logged in via steam, you need to link your acct on their website to steam in order for the launcher to know you own the game. I'm not home at the moment but if you look it's not hard to find out how. You should install the game when you hit play, I believe. Make sure you are on NA server.

I’m not sure what the issue is. I created a new login for them but linked steam just in case after your suggestion since it shares email with my login.

Also did clean window 10 instal with most up to date nvidia drivers. Downloaded launcher. Pressed instal.

When I press play it clearly registers my click but nothing happens.

I got an email to their support but I’m not really expecting the most helpful response unless my account failed to get authorized after my purchase or something.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

walruscat posted:

I’m not sure what the issue is. I created a new login for them but linked steam just in case after your suggestion since it shares email with my login.

Also did clean window 10 instal with most up to date nvidia drivers. Downloaded launcher. Pressed instal.

When I press play it clearly registers my click but nothing happens.

I got an email to their support but I’m not really expecting the most helpful response unless my account failed to get authorized after my purchase or something.

That's strange, I haven't seen that before. Hopefully support might have something more useful.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

That's strange, I haven't seen that before. Hopefully support might have something more useful.

Fixed it. Looks like I didn’t have a good installation of Microsoft visual c++ redistribution installed

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

i leveled my demo from 0-70 or something beating on a hut with a torch mostly afk for like 30 minutes or an hour tops, it also leveled my strength and agi by a shitload

when its afkable its REALLY afkable

but some poo poo is going to suck huge rear end (digging)

The upside of digging is that if you want to run around and mine things the only hard grind is to digging 60, you can completely afk mining and precious prospecting.

Nature's lore, hunting, and farming are also completely afkable.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Praise be to gorb, the boys have Oregon Trail'd the horse cart and have safely arrives with no losses.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Hey just a quick note for people gathering from the ground: Mushrooms and Wild Plants both lower the Q of dirt which can be used for other far more useful stuff that don't. So find a low q tile first before gathering those.

• Locked thread