Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Our large and now growing extended family has finally this year after many years of persuasion, decided to go from individual gifts to doing a small and inexpensive round robin gift exchange for the adults and a select number of gifts for all the children.

I was so loving tired of getting 3 pairs of woolly socks, a new wallet and watch, some dumb gag gift, ect every year so, hopefully this year will be a bit more joyful only having to pick up two generic fun gifts for the round robin, and a gift each for my niece and nephew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'll get my parents something individual and maybe if I see something when I'm out and about that seems perfect for a friend I'll grab it but for the most part we don't really do christmas shopping. Have a big christmas dinner with all the friends over but gently caress consumerism. Me and my wife don't even really get each other anything for christmas or birthdays, maybe some flowers or something, usually just a nice dinner.

We're just lucky that that's the family dynamics/culture and none of my friends have really been into getting presents for each other. I feel really bad for those big upper middle class families where it's expected every single friend and extended family member and oh my god my co-worker has a baby now we can't forget her either all need to have presents bought and wrapped and the present must be of the correct monetary value based on their relationship. I assume those are the people I see running around stressed as hell shopping every day in December?

I knew a family, firmly working class bordering on poor, that were extremely into christmas. Their definition of christmas shopping was that you were not done until all your credit cards were maxed out, so these guys would spend THOUSANDS a year on christmas then spend the rest of the year paying it off. There was some minor drama after their credit card got some sort of automated increase, which meant by the rules of christmas they needed to spend a thousand more to max out the card. It was hard on them, but they adjusted their lives to afford their new mandatory spending target. To not max out the card would be against the spirit of christmas, and trying to lower their limit back down would also be very scrooge-like.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I knew a family, firmly working class bordering on poor, that were extremely into christmas. Their definition of christmas shopping was that you were not done until all your credit cards were maxed out, so these guys would spend THOUSANDS a year on christmas then spend the rest of the year paying it off. There was some minor drama after their credit card got some sort of automated increase, which meant by the rules of christmas they needed to spend a thousand more to max out the card. It was hard on them, but they adjusted their lives to afford their new mandatory spending target. To not max out the card would be against the spirit of christmas, and trying to lower their limit back down would also be very scrooge-like.

hosed up if true.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Baronjutter posted:

This belongs in the BWM thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

withak posted:

hosed up if true.

This is a thing, working class often = poverty culture, which isn’t the insult it sounds like but rather a phenomenon where any money that comes in is immediately spent because, “Hey, who knows when the chance to do something nice for ourselves will pop up again? Yeah, the money isn’t actual cash but funny money with predatory terms, so what? That poo poo is dischargeable in bankruptcy anyway, which looms over us like a storm cloud 365/24-7.”

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

His Divine Shadow posted:

Speaking of retail. This weekend we did our yearly Christmas shopping, which entailed going into the city and a lot of the more "upscale" shopping malls downtown, and drat it's such a depressing place to visit. This is bougie paradise apparently, glitzy shops and restaurants and all that kind of stuff people are supposed to like and want from life. Except me apparently. To me everything felt wrong, or crass, like I was in some kind of 80s movie about future capitalist dystopian societies. A pervading, dread sense of "keeping up with the joneses" perhaps how I'd describe it. Horrible feel to the place.

So what you're saying is Christmas is alive and well?

Close the thread folks, retail is alive!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Our large and now growing extended family has finally this year after many years of persuasion, decided to go from individual gifts to doing a small and inexpensive round robin gift exchange for the adults and a select number of gifts for all the children.

I was so loving tired of getting 3 pairs of woolly socks, a new wallet and watch, some dumb gag gift, ect every year so, hopefully this year will be a bit more joyful only having to pick up two generic fun gifts for the round robin, and a gift each for my niece and nephew.

The adults in my family started pooling it all into one single big item for a certain amount to avoid all the sock-presents and shopping. Then we decided people could just get it themselves. Then we scrapped the fixed dollar amount. So now everybody just buy a special thing they want and show and tell it.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
If you don't like Christmas gift exchange, don't do it. Presumably you are an adult, time to start defining and enforcing boundaries on your time and effort. To me the whole endeavor is obviously net negative on utility so I don't do it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My family instituted DIY Christmas and it's the best thing to happen to my family since my parents decided not to get a divorce.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

HEY NONG MAN posted:

My family instituted DIY Christmas and it's the best thing to happen to my family since my parents decided not to get a divorce.

how does that work? I'm intrigued.

my thing has always been trying to get someone something they'll use every day.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The basic premise is that you only give gifts when it's something you yourself made. My family is fairly crafty so it works.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is my wife's first Christmas so I have to catch her all up on the lore. She didn't know about Mrs. Claus until this morning!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mrs Claus is a no good ho.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

This has got to be somewhat common. I know at least two people who do this every year. It might be more for all I know, but these are the two who I'm close enough with that they're comfortable blabbing about their finances to me. One guy routinely pushes himself to the point where he's stressed for months after Christmas about the possibility of an unexpected $100 expense completely destroying him.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Mrs Claus is a no good ho-ho-ho

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Paradoxish posted:

This has got to be somewhat common. I know at least two people who do this every year. It might be more for all I know, but these are the two who I'm close enough with that they're comfortable blabbing about their finances to me. One guy routinely pushes himself to the point where he's stressed for months after Christmas about the possibility of an unexpected $100 expense completely destroying him.

We limit our gifts to 20-30 euros per person and then usually it's for each others kids, not the adults. I also make some stuff myself sometimes, like end grain cutting boards.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
christmas is an evil holiday

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

how does that work? I'm intrigued.

DIY Christmas or divorce?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

pokemon posted:

Well yes, it's a holiday to capitalist jesus birthday.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

pokemon posted:

We're evil people,so that's fitting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Today I went into a Kohls for the first time in years because they've now become a drop-off point for free Amazon returns.

Weird to see a dying department store strengthen Amazon's power even more. However if you return anything to Amazon, they give you a free 25% off coupon to Kohls and we ended up buying some coats for Christmas gifts so I guess the system works?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Yeah it looks like the current phase of Amazon expansion is assimilating b&m retail chains.

This is probably fine.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FCKGW posted:

Today I went into a Kohls for the first time in years because they've now become a drop-off point for free Amazon returns.

Weird to see a dying department store strengthen Amazon's power even more. However if you return anything to Amazon, they give you a free 25% off coupon to Kohls and we ended up buying some coats for Christmas gifts so I guess the system works?

Kohl's is one of those places you don't buy anything with less than a 25% off coupon, usually see 30, 40, or more.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sears continues to flail:

http://fortune.com/2017/12/14/sears-die-hard-amazon/ posted:

Sears Holdings said on Thursday it has begun selling jump starters, battery chargers, and maintainers under its DieHard brand on Amazon.com, its latest move to squeeze out whatever value it can from its once dominant brands while its retail business continues to free fall.

The DieHard move comes a few months after the troubled retailer began selling its line of Kenmore appliances on Amazon and announced their integration with Amazon Alexa. In July, when that news was announced, Sears shares jumped 19%. In contrast, the DieHard news gave the stock no lift on Thursday, likely given that the previous effort has not slowed the precipitous declines in sales at Sears. (Sears Holdings also operates the Kmart discount chain.) Sears shares, flat in Thursday trading, are 72% below a 52-week high, giving the one-time retail behemoth a stock market value of only $430 million.

Comparable sales, a measure that strips out the impact of stores closed in the last years, fell 17% at Sears and 13% at Kmart, in the company’s most recent quarter, far steeper drops than those in preceding periods and worrisome at a time of high consumer confidence and increased spending. The DieHard partnership with Amazon is one of many moves in the last two years by Sears to diversify its revenue sources and generate urgently needed cash, as the sales tailspin drains Sears’ coffers. (Earlier this week, the company announced it had extended the terms of a $400 million loan to 2019 and also is planning to secure additional borrowing to cover upcoming pension payments.)

“Launching on Amazon.com will significantly expand the distribution and availability of the DieHard brand in the U.S., building on the success of our recent Kenmore appliances launch on Amazon.com,” Tom Park, the president of Sears’ Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard brands, said in a statement.

Sears is not the only traditional retailer to be deepening its partnerships with Amazon. Kohl’s for one is testing out handling returns for Amazon purchase at a few dozen of its stores in Los Angeles and Chicago. (But Kohl’s comparable sales in contrast to Sears, are actually rising, however slightly. And it is not selling its own brands on Amazon.) But given how many assets Sears has sold off in the last few years to stave off a cash crunch, from Lands’ End to Craftsmen, it’s easy to see this as a reflection of the prospects for Sears’ own stores.

The company has closed hundreds of Kmart and Sears locations in recent years, betting it can be viable with fewer and smaller stores. There is merit to that approach, but Sears’ core business continues to crumble despite such efforts.

Sears will expand its DieHard partnership with Amazon next year to include tires and batteries. At the same time, it’s has begun to open DieHard Auto Centers, a smaller format store focused on a more limited product category, a strategy it is following for smaller locations focused on mattresses and appliances.

Toys R Us is more accepting of the writing on the wall:

http://fortune.com/2017/12/18/toys-r-us-closing-stores/ posted:

Toys “R” Us Inc., which filed for bankruptcy in September, is considering closing at least 100 U.S. stores in the face of weak holiday sales, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

U.S. sales have declined about 15 percent this Christmas-shopping season from a year earlier, according to people recently briefed on the matter, who asked not to be identified because the information isn’t public. The number of closed stores could reach approximately 200, one of the people said, but no decision has been made.

“Final decisions about our real estate portfolio will be done only after careful consideration about the best interests of our business,” said spokeswoman Amy von Walter. “Any speculation on that figure is premature and likely to be inaccurate.”

The Wayne, New Jersey-based company operated 879 U.S. stores as of the end of January, according to its last annual report.

The prospect of Toys “R” Us closing locations deals another potential blow to its biggest suppliers, Mattel Inc. and Hasbro Inc. Shares of both companies fell to session lows on Monday. Mattel declined as much as 4.5 percent to $14.78, while Hasbro dropped 3.2 percent to $91.02.

The toymakers have already blamed Toys “R” Us’s bankruptcy for hurting results. Mattel, the maker of Barbie and Fisher-Price, has been particularly hard hit, with sales plunging in North America last quarter.

Difficult Choices

Shutting stores is common practice for bankrupt retailers, but Toys “R” Us has said that its Chapter 11 filing wouldn’t herald a big retrenchment for the largest toy-store chain. Chief Executive Officer Dave Brandon said in September that the company was pushing ahead with plans to open more stores in some cities. And it was contemplating extending the lease on its Times Square location, which opened in August as a temporary holiday shop.

But with sales continuing to tumble, Toys “R” Us may have tough choices ahead. The bankruptcy process makes it easier to exit leases and shut down the company’s worst-performing locations. And the company has said that it would continue to evaluate its store fleet as part of the restructuring process.

Weak holiday results threaten to complicate the retailer’s plans to get its finances in order and emerge from bankruptcy with an improved balance sheet. Before filing for bankruptcy, the company had been weighed down by roughly $5 billion in debt, stemming from a leveraged buyout last decade led by Bain Capital.

Toys “R” Us previously announced plans to close at least 26 stores in the U.K., which is outside the purview of the bankruptcy. The idea there is to reduce its emphasis on warehouse-size stores, letting the company focus on better-performing small shops and online operations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Toy R us are going into administration in the UK in January and everything is being shut down. 2600 unemployed, but the reason it’s January and not now isn’t because of Christmas, but because they need to sort out their pensions which is slightly less poo poo for them.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

learnincurve posted:

Toy R us are going into administration in the UK in January and everything is being shut down. 2600 unemployed, but the reason it’s January and not now isn’t because of Christmas, but because they need to sort out their pensions which is slightly less poo poo for them.

Funny thing, Toys "R" Us is doing just fine in Denmark (Franchise), probably because it's much safer to buy toys in a store, where you can actually get a feel for it. I bought a nerfgun for my nephew a few months ago, and it was a normal day, full of people.

So yeah, funny thing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I suspect toys R us in the U.K. are operating at a massive loss as they are only to be found on those big trading estates and usually have a big Argos (box warehouse thing) next door or within driving distance.
Check out toys in real life, pop next door to Argos and pick it up cheaper or order it to your house from your phone - oddly enough Argos are even beating amazon at their own game by being cheaper on many items and doing same day delivery. Amusingly, they even sell Amazon’s own e-readers and tablets and match the discounts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
K-Mart is a perfectly functional store chain in Australia. Franchisees may thrive and perhaps outlive the mothership if their management and conditions are better.

Reminds me that we're seeing a ton of franchise food places shut down in Australia because of horrible exploitative behaviour from the owning company. I miss Donut King.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How much longer until parents can apply their newborn children with Amazon Prime like it's Social Security? Is six months too young to burn a barcode QR code onto them that gives them access to their content on Amazon?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

We bought all my son's toys at Toys R Us this year. It was more fun to go to the actual store and get a feel for the toys and you knew they weren't some weird knock off (he wanted some Power Ranger Ninja Steel stuff). I guess I'm saying that I don't want our TRU to close, because I like it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

RagnarokZ posted:

Funny thing, Toys "R" Us is doing just fine in Denmark (Franchise), probably because it's much safer to buy toys in a store, where you can actually get a feel for it. I bought a nerfgun for my nephew a few months ago, and it was a normal day, full of people.

So yeah, funny thing.

Same here in Iceland. I don't know about their profits, but every time I've visited the store is full and looking healthy (or as healthy as a giant retail space can appear, lol)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What are the stores like in places where they're successful? I feel like an issue with the North American incarnation is they're all giant, standalone stores located in the precise middle of Assfuck Nowhere. You can't just pop in as you're doing something else, and it lacks the versatility of something like WalMart or Ikea that makes it a worthwhile place to bother going.

If the stores were smaller and located in malls or near other shops, they'd probably be much busier.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
UK: Picture a parking lot slightly outside of towns and cities, or next to existing shopping centres (malls) with big box shaped buildings on 3 sides of it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Every Toys R Us I've ever seen in the US has been in a standalone building just a lot or two away from a major shopping center or mall. It'd surely be a lot more convenient if they were attached to the mall, sure; but I wouldn't characterize it as them being out "in the middle of nowhere".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Inescapable Duck posted:

K-Mart is a perfectly functional store chain in Australia. Franchisees may thrive and perhaps outlive the mothership if their management and conditions are better.
Huge food conglomerates like General Mills and Purina have opened a lot of pilot restaurants, which sometimes survive under independent ownership when the concept fails to get big enough to franchise.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

biznatchio posted:

Every Toys R Us I've ever seen in the US has been in a standalone building just a lot or two away from a major shopping center or mall. It'd surely be a lot more convenient if they were attached to the mall, sure; but I wouldn't characterize it as them being out "in the middle of nowhere".

I've mostly seen them in strip malls with other big box stores. :shrug:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Making a special trip to a toy store doesn't make sense in modern parenting. If the kids want something specific, order it online. If you just want to reward them by saying they can pick something out, the supermarket has toys. Why would you subject yourself to a big box store full of toys and the inevitable tantrums? RIP Toys'r'Us.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The supermarket doesn't have toys. If they do the toys suck and are garbage tier.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is there an equivalent in the US to Canadian Tire? They have a bunch of toys and stuff, but also other things which are useful. As much as they piss me off sometimes, there's a lot of stuff you can buy there if you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Depends on what you mean by 'supermarket'. And I'm not sure the Australian experience translates to the American one.

Though I've mentioned that when it comes to brand name toys, a Barbie, Transformer, or My Little Pony ordered from Amazon isn't going to be any different from one you buy in a store as long as it's the same name and line, the majority of toy brands are pretty good at branding and marketing, and kids have nothing better to do than browse online catalogues to figure out exactly what they want.