Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Just a quick glance at a philips page for one... It's basically a small convection oven that won't get quite as hot and has much smaller capacity? Also, LOL at the gordon ramsey promo.

I lost my kitchen and now living with family temporarily. I'm not allowed to use the oven or stove top (they're neat freaks) so I was looking into a air frier or small benchtop oven. I ended up with a benchtop oven as it's more useful for things like simple grilling (I keep my bread in a freezer and grill one side for to defrost it which also makes a better non soggy pro sandwich). Also easily fits the single aussie mans staple of a meat pie with a large tray of chips dinner, plus it goes a higher temp and fits larger things like full freshly homemade pizzas.
When I move on I can use it for circuit board reflowing I guess?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fo3 posted:

I'm not allowed to use the oven or stove top (they're neat freaks)

People like this need to die. Why the hell would you even have a stove, if you're not going to use it?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
They use the oven for cutting board storage! They weren't even going to keep the oven or get a new stove top for their bench when they replaced the bench top recently. They only got a new bech stove top because other family members chided them into it citing it will devalue the house. They were fully going to buy and use a cheap plug in induction plate. They rather use cheap appliances they can chuck out rather than maintain fixed kitchen equipment.

They use a lovely electric frypan or microwave for most of their own cooking, so they bitch if I wanted to use the oven or use a saucepan on their new induction top - don't want to scratch the top or get a fry pans and saucepan dirty...
So I use my pressure cooker as a pot (it's electric and has brown/simmer function as well as pressure cook), and the small benchtop oven/grill and just keep to myself.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KozmoNaut posted:

People like this need to die. Why the hell would you even have a stove, if you're not going to use it?

Yeah, I don't understand this. Are they just treating it as ornamental? how do they cook anything? even if you live on takeaways and simple food you still need to use the oven and stove occasionally, if only to warm up your leftovers.

Can you not just buy the cleaning equipment in advance of using it in order to appease them?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's like the stereotype of your gran's sofa with the plastic cover on it. You know, so it's nice and new for the next people who own it. :rolleyes:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tomarse posted:

Can you not just buy the cleaning equipment in advance of using it in order to appease them?
Why would I need to? I got my electric pressure cooker and the small oven so I am all sorted. Not like I'm cooking huge meals for others any more.
Also - appease them? The day after I moved in I found most of my kitchen stuff in the bin. Stuff that was from the fridge was a write off, but I got most of my herbs, spices and crockery back out of the bin :lol: Most of my cookware was chucked somewhere in their shed.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

puberty worked me over posted:

When will someone make a USDM car light as the Miata or MR-S that doesn't feel like a wobbly wet noodle? I bought a fully set up miata drove the piss out of it on track and felt like it just wasn't stiff enough even with good coilovers and a hard top. Spending several thousand on weight increasing bracing just seems silly. Trying to figure out a good sub 2500-lb track car and I feel like everyone screamed "miata is the answer" and I just felt underwhelmed. Power wasn't the issue either.

Considering an Integra GSR or a Focus SVT. Maybe this is a better inquiry for the track day / racing thread.

Coilovers and hardtop do little to nothing for chassis rigidity; the NA is really floppy stock. A butterfly brace, fender braces and tower bars will do a lot for not a lot of money or weight. It's all pretty well documented.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

puberty worked me over posted:

When will someone make a USDM car light as the Miata or MR-S that doesn't feel like a wobbly wet noodle? I bought a fully set up miata drove the piss out of it on track and felt like it just wasn't stiff enough even with good coilovers and a hard top. Spending several thousand on weight increasing bracing just seems silly. Trying to figure out a good sub 2500-lb track car and I feel like everyone screamed "miata is the answer" and I just felt underwhelmed. Power wasn't the issue either.

Considering an Integra GSR or a Focus SVT. Maybe this is a better inquiry for the track day / racing thread.

Not sure what "fully set up" Miata is or exactly what you mean by wet noodle, but regardless.

The reason Miata is the answer is that the weaknesses are solved problems and up to a pretty high build spec there's nothing you have to re-engineer to not have it holding you back. The geometry is basically right, you don't have to deal with the flaws inherent in struts, and you can buy bolt-on solutions to what issues there are, and you can't really buy anything similarly light and RWD.

The BR-Z is always going to be held back somewhat by struts, ditto for almost everything else.

Integra GSRs / the other wishbone Hondas are in a similar boat, just FWD.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

It's like the stereotype of your gran's sofa with the plastic cover on it. You know, so it's nice and new for the next people who own it. :rolleyes:

you know why your grandma had that plastic on the couch? cause she was a squirter!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Final exam ahoy, 3 separate exams in 3 hours for nearly 50% of my grade in this one class. Wish me luck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Just a quick glance at a philips page for one... It's basically a small convection oven that won't get quite as hot and has much smaller capacity? Also, LOL at the gordon ramsey promo.

We got the Philips one, I don't know why I typed Panasonic. And yeah, it's a tiny convection oven but it heats up instantly and has a pretty good energy useage rating.

Also I haven't forgotten about the hot sauce, I just decided to make a large batch this week.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 4, 2017

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Enourmo posted:

Final exam ahoy, 3 separate exams in 3 hours for nearly 50% of my grade in this one class. Wish me luck.

You got this :)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Enourmo posted:

Good luck

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

you know why your grandma had that plastic on the couch? cause she was a squirter!

:lol:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Enourmo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Enourmo posted:

Good luck dude.

Rhyno posted:

We got the Philips one, I don't know why I typed Panasonic. And yeah, it's a tiny convection oven but it heats up instantly and has a pretty good energy useage rating.

Also I haven't forgotten about the hot sauce, I just decided to make a large batch this week.

Interesting. We got a convection toaster over (because toasters alone are pointless single use devices - and gently caress that noise. Multi-purpose or bust in this house).

Also :love::shepspends:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Enourmo posted:

Just don't gently caress it up and you will be fine

(Good luck!)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fo3 posted:

You're the PO everyone dreads :)

Thats just because we're afraid to catch :siren: the gay :siren:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can't select gears in the loving multipla again :suicide: shifter won't go forwards or backwards, only most of the way side to side. My wife got it all the way home though I'm beginning to think burning it in a ditch might be the way forward.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cakesmith handyman posted:

Can't select gears in the loving multipla again :suicide: shifter won't go forwards or backwards, only most of the way side to side. My wife got it all the way home though I'm beginning to think burning it in a ditch might be the way forward.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BloodBag posted:

I just bought a '95 miata m edition with a nice misfire off idle for $1200. Did I do good?

PS. It's a pile and I'm gonna make it an exocet.

Congrats on the purchase and fun. Also it’s really good to hear the little car gave you some joy in life. If you were close I would come help, been wanting to do an Exocet type project. Make a thread!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I'd safe if it's the linkage, fix it, if it's the box itself, chuck the car on Ebay and buy something else.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I had a kind of similar problem in an explorer. It would shift with a lot of effort but when you put it in park it wouldnt engage all the way , causing the car to roll if you were on a hill. It ended up being two very loose screws where the shifter mounted underneath the dashboard. Tightened them up and everything was fixed.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just ordered my new kitchen. Can't wait to use my new induction hob

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fo3 posted:

You're the PO everyone dreads :)

Ain't no bailing wire or wood screws.

Yet. :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tomarse posted:

Pick some certification on something that you don't know so well that your employer either uses/does, or should use/do and then get it done.
Pick something that would also look good on your CV.
It doesn't sound like he is being that wishy washy to me - use some initiative.

(Sorry - I'm sick of hearing IT people complain about lack of training or certs from their employer - then not actually being able to state what they actually want to do)

I guess.
Trust me, he's being vague. Earlier, he mention learning about IOT, like it's a small, defined little filed. Or like we do anything IOT internally.
Never mind that I'm a contractor, where, while I'm included in, like company functions and such, it doesn't feel like their willing to give me anything decent because I'm not permanent, yet won't make me permanent because I'm only doing basic stuff, y'know?
I'm willing to admit that I may just be a whiny sadbrains about it. Hell, I'd take more menial-work if it came to that. As a contractor, I get nervous when I'm not busy, because that starts to feel like they don't need me. It's desktop IT, though - it comes and goes in spurts.
Right now I'm focusing on learning everything I can get my hands on about Zoom, our third party chat/audio-video conferencing system. there's a few hours of video tutorials and training available for that.

I think I'd like to at least try for Network+, since I actually trained in it at tech school, just never took the CompTIA exam, and I'd like to move away from Desktop a little for compensation reasons.

Tesla/Musk chat: At this point, I don't really care if Tesla is successful as a company - well, I mean, I would love for them to keep challenging everything and remain viable - but at this point, they are putting a boot to the rear end of everyone else, which, honestly, I think is Musk's intention. I'm sure he'd like to make money, but I fell like his primary goal is to light a fire on several industries that have been slow to advance certain areas due to real or perceived cost, or lack of perceived market. He's showing that people do want this stuff, and they will pay for it, and even more so if it's cost-effective. I can't afford a Model S, and probably can't afford a Model 3, but the more this stuff gets out there, the cheaper it gets. People are already hacking wrecked Teslas, Leafs, and Volts. Hyperloop may not pan out, but I bet it spawns some interesting, useful stuff. Space-X is literally taking off.
Musk is driving poo poo forward, hopefully in a good direction.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Ain't no bailing wire or wood screws.

Yet. :colbert:

If you need some rusty used bailing wire, I'm pretty sure my late grandad had several feed bags' worth in his barn.

Also, good luck Enourmo!
I wish I could afford to go back to school full time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Darchangel posted:

Tesla/Musk chat: At this point, I don't really care if Tesla is successful as a company - well, I mean, I would love for them to keep challenging everything and remain viable - but at this point, they are putting a boot to the rear end of everyone else, which, honestly, I think is Musk's intention. I'm sure he'd like to make money, but I fell like his primary goal is to light a fire on several industries that have been slow to advance certain areas due to real or perceived cost, or lack of perceived market. He's showing that people do want this stuff, and they will pay for it, and even more so if it's cost-effective. I can't afford a Model S, and probably can't afford a Model 3, but the more this stuff gets out there, the cheaper it gets. People are already hacking wrecked Teslas, Leafs, and Volts. Hyperloop may not pan out, but I bet it spawns some interesting, useful stuff. Space-X is literally taking off.
Musk is driving poo poo forward, hopefully in a good direction.

I think all of this is true. I want him to succeed. I want self-driving cars. I want to get rid of lovely gas engines. I hope that's the way things are going. At the same time, I watch quarter by quarter as Tesla's cash burn accelerates and wonder if it could make an argument for the opposite if it implodes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

I'd safe if it's the linkage, fix it, if it's the box itself, chuck the car on Ebay and buy something else.

Its internal. Stripped a bunch of shite components out and got to the top of the box, the left/right link moves freely, the fore/aft link is locked solid. Next diagnostic step is to drop the box, which is subframe out, drop engine/box, spilt. Crap, that'll take me months.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Seminal Flu posted:

I think all of this is true. I want him to succeed. I want self-driving cars. I want to get rid of lovely gas engines. I hope that's the way things are going. At the same time, I watch quarter by quarter as Tesla's cash burn accelerates and wonder if it could make an argument for the opposite if it implodes.

That cash burn is just the cost of r&d for revolutionary technologies surely. It's only because it's a corporation that you get to watch it happen in real time. People are a lot less interested in say nasa's (limited) budget for certain. Makes a interesting comparison to a company like (modern day) apple which didn't r&d anything and just repackaged technologies already expensively developed by the US government 🤔 makes u think 🤔

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Its internal. Stripped a bunch of shite components out and got to the top of the box, the left/right link moves freely, the fore/aft link is locked solid. Next diagnostic step is to drop the box, which is subframe out, drop engine/box, spilt. Crap, that'll take me months.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Which revolutionary technologies did Tesla invent again? Inefficient production lines? Getting shareholders to sign on to your money burning vision?

Seriously, I like Musk but the big innovations Tesla seems to be pushing is just *doing* things whether or not they actually make business sense.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Putting batteries and an electric motor in a car is extremely revolutionary.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
while the idea may not be revolutionary, the implementation, control and packaging into a desirable package are the driving factors. He's really the Steve Jobs of the market he is tackling (vertical business integration, tight control of supply/demand, locked down access, etc).

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I mean I guess you could say he made the first electric car that actually looked good? IE. Not a toaster or amorphous blob.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beverly Cleavage posted:

while the idea may not be revolutionary, the implementation, control and packaging into a desirable package are the driving factors. He's really the Steve Jobs of the market he is tackling (vertical business integration, tight control of supply/demand, locked down access, etc).

I think that's actually a very accurate description. It's not like smartphones didn't exist prior to the iPhone, but let's face it, the overall experience of Winmo or Palm was utter poo poo in comparison. Taking a concept that exists on the edge of a market and refining it to where the average person views it as a desirable product is sometimes the hardest part.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

mekilljoydammit posted:

Which revolutionary technologies did Tesla invent again? Inefficient production lines? Getting shareholders to sign on to your money burning vision?

Seriously, I like Musk but the big innovations Tesla seems to be pushing is just *doing* things whether or not they actually make business sense.

I like the Steve Jobs/Apple comparison. Tesla isn't using revolutionary technologies but Elon Musk is managing to run a car company like a technology company rather than like a typical car manufacturer.

Even if it doesn't work out in the long run because it haemorrhages too much money, hopefully it will shake up the processes of the existing car manufacturers and cause them to work harder at innovation and bringing new stuff to market quickly.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mekilljoydammit posted:

the flaws inherent in struts

Do you have some whitepapers on this? Really curious what makes the miata stock suspension setup so much better than everything else. Also you and I must consider struts to be two different things because the stock BRZ suspension doesn't look a whole lot different than the stock Miata suspension. Are you stating the fact that the bottom of the front struts are held in with two bolts vs the miata's one that makes a huge difference?

So below:

vs

Is a huge deal? Does the miata's double control arm setup with the strut going through the upper make it handle light years better?

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That upper control arm is what makes all the difference in the world on the Miata.

• Locked thread