Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Loxbourne posted:

Ah, the "secret agents for big publishing" conspiracy theory is back. Where would we be without citizens' imaginations?

I don't believe they believe it, I believe they feel that they SHOULD believe it like a good little cultist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

SCtrumpHaters posted:

He says that every 6 months.

Any of you FUD sippers (colloquial term) have anything to say aobut this being the best anniversary sale ever? Its not even over yet.

I'm a fud packer

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

OhDearGodNo posted:

It’s why I made it- more of a quick response to the common quip from shitizens.

A hero we all need.

OhDearGodNo posted:

It’s not hard to see this getting exponentially worse as they dump iteration upon iteration on it. Even if SQ42 were to release, they will have a huge number of problems associated with every patch.

No, it's not. They're tacking on new production pipelines with the abandon of someone who's planning to leave in a week.

Loxbourne posted:

Ah, the "secret agents for big publishing" conspiracy theory is back. Where would we be without citizens' imaginations?

You're either with them or you aren't. It's a very easy world to imagine because any dissenter is _obviously_ a goon Smart alt.

Solarin posted:

I'm a fud packer

I'm a FUD packer's mate, and I'm only packing FUD because the FUD packer's late.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

those all had big studios already, CIG started from scratch and needed 4 years to build their studios so development of Squadron 42 only really started in 2016, furthermore

Star Citizen Defense Playbook:

Timeline Criticisms:
  • CIG had to build a company from scratch, including hiring, building studios around the globe, etc.
  • R&D doesn't count.
  • All those games had engines already made. CIG is building their engine from scratch. It is called "Star Engine."
  • Those other games actually started development and R&D way before those dates, don't you know anything?
  • Star Citizen already has way more content than any of those games.
  • Star Citizen is doing something that literally no one has ever attempted before. Ground-breaking innovations take time.
  • Those games are bad because money-grubbing publishers forced them out the door before devs could make them into something good. Star Citizen doesn't have publishers, and no deadlines, so this means Star Citizen will be better.
  • This new era of gamers are impatient little bitches. I don't mind the wait, I have patience. I keep pledging so Chris Roberts will have as much time as he needs to recognize his vision.

Bugs, Lack of Content Criticisms
  • Star Citizen is more transparent than any other company, ever. You're seeing how the sausage is made.
  • There is way more content than they are showing us because they don't want to spoil it.
  • What are you talking about? I just spent <X> hours playing the game it's great/runs great/no bugs/perfectly smooth/amazing.
  • You obviously don't understand game development. Bugs like this are totally normal for a game in this stage of development. Have you ever heard of Alpha??
  • Don't be a part of early access if you can't handle some bugs.
  • All of those things you just listed are on the schedule, they will be delivered in <patch number>
  • They are doing a lot of the ground-work tech / pipelines that will pave the way for faster content creation later.
  • Oh, they already have the tech for <most of new feature that came out of nowhere>, it's not much effort to add.

Funding Model, Sales, Marketing Criticisms
  • Star Citizen is doing something different. They are bypassing the greedy publisher model only cares about profit and kills innovation.
  • Nobody is forcing you to pledge.
  • I backed the game because I believe in Chris Roberts's vision, it's the game I've always dreamed of playing.
  • All the ships that can be bought can be acquired in-game, therefore not pay-to-win.
  • The game does not have subscriptions. You can subscribe to help pay for weekly content which gives us insights into game development never before seen.
  • You're not buying land! You're buying the ability to claim land. Huge difference.
  • It's not a scam. They have offices all over the world and the game is playable right now.
  • CIG is not in any kind of financial trouble, just look at the funding tracker.

General Rebuttals
  • Why are you even commenting if you hate the game so much? What kind of sad person just goes around tearing things down?
  • Oh look, another Derek Smart alt trying to spread lies and mis-information about Star Citizen because he's jealous.
  • Known troll/goon. Downvote and move on.
  • How many AAA games have YOU released?
  • You are entitled to NOTHING.
  • Even if the game never comes out, I’m proud to be a part of it, at least Chris is trying.

e: added a couple, including the all-important “You are entitled to NOTHING.”

Toops fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 4, 2017

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Timeline Criticisms:
  • CIG had to build a company from scratch, including hiring, building studios around the globe, etc.
  • R&D doesn't count.
  • All those games had engines already made. CIG is building their engine from scratch. It is called "Star Engine."
  • Those other games actually started development and R&D way before those dates, don't you know anything?
  • Star Citizen is doing something that literally no one has ever attempted before. Ground-breaking innovations take time.
  • Those games are bad because money-grubbing publishers forced them out the door before devs could make them into something good. Star Citizen doesn't have publishers, and no deadlines, so this means Star Citizen will be better.
  • This new era of gamers are impatient little bitches. I don't mind the wait, I have patience. I keep pledging so Chris Roberts will have as much time as he needs to recognize his vision.

• Star Citizen is more transparent than any other company, ever. You're seeing how the sausage is made.
  • There is way more content than they are showing us because they don't want to spoil it.
  • What are you talking about? I just spent <X> hours playing the game it's great/runs great/no bugs/perfectly smooth/amazing.
  • You obviously don't understand game development. Bugs like this are totally normal for a game in this stage of development. Have you ever heard of Alpha??
  • All of those things you just listed are on the schedule, they will be delivered in <patch number>
  • They are doing a lot of the ground-work tech / pipelines that will pave the way for faster content creation later.
  • Oh, they already have the tech for <most of new feature that came out of nowhere>, it's not much effort to add.

• Star Citizen is doing something different. They are bypassing the greedy publisher model only cares about profit and kills innovation.
  • I backed the game because I believe in Chris Roberts's vision, it's the game I've always dreamed of playing.
  • All the ships that can be bought can be acquired in-game, therefore not pay-to-win.
  • The game does not have subscriptions. You can subscribe to help pay for weekly content which gives us insights into game development never before seen.
  • You're not buying land! You're buying the ability to claim land. Huge difference.
  • It's not a scam. They have offices all over the world and the game is playable right now.
  • CIG is not in any kind of financial trouble, just look at the funding tracker.

General Rebuttals
  • Why are you even commenting if you hate the game so much? What kind of sad person just goes around tearing things down?
  • Oh look, another Derek Smart alt trying to spread lies and mis-information about Star Citizen because he's jealous.

Bookmarked for later use

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

Bookmarked for later use

I probably missed some, but that's the Minimum-Viable-Response-List (MVRL).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

SomethingJones posted:

I don't believe they believe it, I believe they feel that they SHOULD believe it like a good little cultist.

I think it's so popular because it explains away something painful - they keep hearing the same scorn and disdain. The same arguments. They go out to spread the word on reddit or forums or wherever and they run right into people laughing and calling it a cash grab and bringing up the framerate and the clipping issues and P2W balance and the absurd pricing. Arguments a good citizen has already dismissed from his mind long ago.

Either Star Citizen has such obvious unaddressed flaws that anyone can see them on a cursory glance, or there's a vast conspiracy to spread lies and FUD that's always one step ahead of the faithful, handing out talking points.

No contest, right?

A backer looks out over the ramparts and tells himself what he sees is an organised, marching horde who all turn as one to mock him on the command of a hidden Dark Master. What he's actually seeing is a load of entirely unconnected passersby suddenly staring at this guy and wondering why he's wearing a clown suit.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nyast posted:

So what's up with the alleged 3-dozen layoffs ? I thought a blog or more news was incoming ?

You fell for the thread version of selling space land.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Toops posted:

I probably missed some, but that's the Minimum-Viable-Response-List (MVRL).

You've some solid material up there for an updated SC bingo card.

I guess this one is still mostly relevant with the exception of SC being in development for so long that people aren't laughing at TOR anymore.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Chris Robert's Proud Backers.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Toops posted:

Excellence

An excellent post from an excellent poster.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

"What is the definition of a libellous statement, Alex"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Matt_Daymun has to be a troll account.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

This is very good

But where's the original stimpire version :argh:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Griefing a Star Citizen server with cargo

https://clips.twitch.tv/ScrumptiousVictoriousSnakeKappaRoss

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I guess no one at CIG ever heard of bookmark bombs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It sickens me he could have had a Hull-C to carry his rape victims.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Combat Theory posted:

This is very good

But where's the original stimpire version :argh:
Need more stamina.
This was just a tribute / attempt.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

big nipples big life posted:

Matt_Daymun has to be a troll account.

Hes a famous permabanned poster

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7hisyt/interesting_reviews_for_cig_as_an_employer_to_say/
Bunch of secure citizens here

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

that explains the cob

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Bofast posted:

Star Citizen - From dreams to dust

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen: Assets to ashes, dreams to dust

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SCtrumpHaters posted:

niggerstomper58?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

I said poster not legend

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

PederP posted:

In my son's social sciences class they got asked to give examples of out-of-the-ordinary internet communities for study (and the teacher asked them to please not pick 4chan). As the good boy he is, he mentions "the fans of that scam game, Star Citizen", which was immediately met by "that's not a scam! what proof do you have?" from someone in his class. Turns out he's got a cultist in his high school class. I'm prepping him to mention Derek Smart in any remotely relevant context. This could be good.

It's a perfect opportunity to read stimpire.txt in front of his class.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

You could also spice up his science class by discussing the worst kinds of electricity.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Toops posted:

Timeline Criticisms:
  • R&D doesn't count.

General Rebuttals
  • You are entitled to NOTHING.
  • Even if the game never comes out, I’m proud to be a part of it, at least Chris is trying.

e: added a couple, including the all-important “You are entitled to NOTHING.”

That is all, replace r/starcitizen with this.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

PederP make sure you provide an ample amount of G0RF charts and the jpeg factory Album to little goon. Also cat pictures

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

The thing that separates the land sales is how fundamentally divorced it is from the original concept of a space shooter game, and how far it is from implementation compared to just selling another ship they won't build. The land sale requires just scads and scads of completely nonexistent features, not planned or designed in any way, certainly not coded. That's the most suspicious part of it from my perspective.

It's like CIG has shifted again from selling the game CR originally envisioned, then they started selling new feature creep and that changed the game's direction, and now the "planned" game is being designed around what they think they can get away with selling.

This is all part of their gradual shift from “trying to make a game to make money” to “making a game to make money” scene, where in the latter heavily starts feeling scammy.

They are years away from even a decent space game, a decade away from a good space and ground game that has at least as much content as any Mass Effect game. Over a decade away from a point where they can somehow organize an mmo with player land owning mechanics with actual functionality.

They may as well start selling buildings and businesses like factories on land and in space. They are making things up in the worst possible way: by marketing.

They have already gone down the road of land sales, so they can just go anywhere from there. Nothing is off limits. Anybody even making estimates needs to consider “and what can the sell that can’t possibly exist next?” before they make a guess, because the CIG way has no scruples.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dusty Lens posted:

You could also spice up his science class by discussing the worst kinds of electricity.

Bonus points if one his classmates was born on July 14th. Imagine doing that live demonstration.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Bonus points if one his classmates was born on July 14th. Imagine doing that live demonstration.

They don't allow them to play with mercury anymore. Not succumbing to mercury poisoning was character building back in my day.

Deskeletonisation equipment might be fine.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

<ahem>
Here is my report on the Star Citizen community of backers. They are the community that wrote this. I will read it to you verbatim, and let you decide.

stimpire.txt

/mic drop

A+++++++++

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

SCtrumpHaters posted:

FUDstomper42

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Golli posted:

<ahem>
Here is my report on the Star Citizen community of backers. They are the community that wrote this. I will read it to you verbatim, and let you decide.

stimpire.txt

/mic drop

A+++++++++

:snoop: :lesnick:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Next time one of you replies to Matt Dahmun refer to Braben exclusively as 'David Braben OBE'.

It's the most minor of titles, but it'll send him crazy. Crazier.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Did the same over the weekend given winter is supposed to arrive this week. Only in my case it was a Stag AR, Marlin Model 60, and my Walther P22 with a can. The Walther is the hardest to shoot well. Lots of air in those sights. The Stag AR is accurate enough, I have a 5MOA red dot on it so not set up to be a precision weapon, but the Model 60 is dead on accurate even with a cheap 4x scope.

I used to do my long range shooting with the M1903, but I'm to the point where I can't see the bullseye at 100 yards without magnification anymore.

Yeah it was a lot of fun. I’m not like a sharpshooter or a sniper. If I can blow up a can at 50-100 yards I’m usually pretty tickled. :)

I’d like to be able to hit further, but I’m bad at getting zeroed in on a distance target and usually I can’t even find what I hit with a shot, so it’s just tough to get there. But I’m not out there doing competitions or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SPACE AND PLANETS AND WALKING AND SHIPS WITH INTERIORS have never been done before and you have NO HONOR and NO RIGHT to an opinion if you think otherwise