Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't believe weapons have "first person models". That's just for playable races, clothes, and armors.

I don't have Skyrim installed right now but I would just say, get an Ebony Sword, look at it, then equip it and look at the model you're holding. They are extremely different, and I feel like I'm the only person who can see it and it drives me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't believe weapons have "first person models". That's just for playable races, clothes, and armors.
Weapon forms do have a first person model entry. I don't have the game installed so I can't check what's up with the ebony sword, but I think it's supposed to have a slightly higher quality texture then the default model.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Raygereio posted:

Weapon forms do have a first person model entry. I don't have the game installed so I can't check what's up with the ebony sword, but I think it's supposed to have a slightly higher quality texture then the default model.

The weapons are shorter and deformed compared to their normal models. The ebony sword makes this noticeable because the blade becomes this tiny six-inch dagger attached to an equal-length hilt in your hands.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
After checking, indeed, it's possible for weapons to have a 1st person view. However there are some modded weapons that don't have one, so I suppose the engine can fall back on using the normal model in that case. Which makes a workaround possible.

As for LeanWolf's mod, you can see first-person views in that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1W6woFGPu0

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Another good measure is Enhanced Camera, which fakes first person and uses third person everything

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I assume if wyrebash disables some esps in its process of building a bashed patch, be they regular mod esps or the merged patch I made, they should remain unchecked upon playing?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

graynull posted:

I assume if wyrebash disables some esps in its process of building a bashed patch, be they regular mod esps or the merged patch I made, they should remain unchecked upon playing?

Correct. If they are unchecked it is because all of the relevant data has been rolled into the bashed patch, and the source ESPs would merely be redundant and count against load order limit.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does the crash fix portion of ENB still not work on Windows 10? I'm starting to feel the itch, but i remember something like this being a thing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Looks like SSE got updated again. It broke SKSE again. Dammit, Bethesda, no one wants your lovely paid mods.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A new entry in Skyrim.ccc: ccQDRSSE002-Firewood.esl

QDR is the same initials as for Survival Mode, so I guess this is Bethesda's Campfire.

They claim to have new script functions. It'd be cool if they detailed what functions they were talking about.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

How long does it usually take SKSE to get updated when this happens?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Wasn't there something Bethesda was supposed to change that wouldn't require the script extenders to be updated for every CC update?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Gonkish posted:

Wasn't there something Bethesda was supposed to change that wouldn't require the script extenders to be updated for every CC update?

That was the rumor. Glad I had set updates to only occur on game launch (which skse64 launcher gets around). Just started a new game and would be pissed as hell if lovely-rear end paid mods had cockblocked me (again). You'd think if they were going to try to hock this poo poo to people they would just bite the bullet and fold in skse into some kind of 'official' mod and stop it breaking every single time there is any change whatsoever. I'm certain I am oversimplifying the various complexities of the script extender and such, but I continue to be baffled and irritated that it breaks every single patch since it launched.

graynull fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 30, 2017

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
From what I understand the fix was that before they'd update the EXE just for new mods to show up to be purchased but now the issue is that if a new mod they want to release requires scripting that the game doesn't have then they have to update the EXE for it to include that script. It's stupid and unnecessary and I'm pretty sure the only reason it's done this way is that Playstation through a fit about mods including any kind of scripting.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Namaer posted:

How long does it usually take SKSE to get updated when this happens?

Last time it took about a week. Though the update for F4SE only took a couple of days.

Gonkish posted:

When the Creation Club was introduced, they baked the list of "creations" in the executable, which meant that every time a single creation is added to the list, the executable would have to change. The previous time, they exported that to a text file, so they no longer need to update the exe just to add more stuff to the list. However, the next batch of creations apparently required at least one new script function, so the exe still had to be updated for an independent reason.

Also they removed the ability to report mods from within the exe.

graynull posted:

I'm certain I am oversimplifying the various complexities of the script extender and such, but I continue to be baffled and irritated that it breaks every single patch since it launched.

An executable is a bunch of instructions arrayed sequentially. SKSE and its predecessors work by hijacking the process. Basically and to simplify it a lot, it goes to address X, puts a redirection to new address Y, and does that in a bunch of places. This is what allows it to plug in new script functions in the function table and so on. But when the executable is updated, everything gets shifted around a bit. Now the script function table, instead of being at address X, is at address X+8, or X-32, or X+2064, who knows. Also the table is longer now, so you have to take that into account because it means you have to update your own replacement table. The script extender needs to be rebuilt with the new addresses, which means that first the SKSE developers need to analyze the new executable to find where exactly the addresses are now. And yes that means loading it in a disassembler like IDA Pro.

The good news is that some people are able to find the relevant addresses to update SSE Fixes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIzATBv43ks

The bad news is that SKSE is a lot more complex so there's nobody outside of the SKSE team that figures it out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What good ENB/Reshade presets do people like? That’s one part of Skyrim modding I’ve always had trouble nailing down.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I remember a mod for vanilla Skyrim that would add satchels onto alchemy/enchanting tables for easy storage; has anyone made something comparable for SSE? Proudspire Manor has no drat basement storage :mad:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In Bethesda news, the armored mudcrab is free for now. Dunno how long it'll last, it'll apparently cost 50 funbucks after. The Lord's Mail armor is now available, but doesn't really look that good IMO.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

As far as SSE is concerned, Skyrim 2017 seems to be the go-to texture mod, bar a few mushroom and caliper retexture extras. Is it actually good or is it secretly poo poo?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SSE's base textures were simply resized from Oldrim's and a noise filter added, with the basic effect being that any texture replacer looks better. I stuck with Noble Skyrim.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Today, I decided to check the Nexus forums for SSE.

:nexus:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Today, I decided to check the Nexus forums for SSE.

:nexus:

Only one sexy mod and one bestiality mod? It's a slow day.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Only one sexy mod and one bestiality mod? It's a slow day.

Maybe slab hasn't ported their sex slave rape mods over to the special edition yet.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Has anygoon tried People of Skyrim? Supposedly it's incompatible with a lot of good mods, but the content in it is of such a high quality that it may be worth it. I'm sceptical, personally.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It touches every settlement, every quest, and causes CTDs. Not everyone is fond of it (link is old enough that none of the images work. Personally, I worry about the author's English skills when I see promotional pictures with captions like "new challenges old and new" or "friendly migrating gaints" or these greengrocer's apo'strophe's. If there's new in-game text written like this (books, NPC dialogue, whatever) I don't want to see it. Plus I find that stuff like this goes frankly overboard. It's ugly, nonsensical clutter. Anyway, if you're interested, I'd suggest to make a backup save, then try it and see what happens. If you don't end up liking it, remove it and return to your backup save.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Wtf, is that Markarth in a Dyson sphere?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have been playing Ultimate Skyrim and it's surprisingly fun. First time I play Requiem so I expected something unfairly hard and a slog to play through but it's very fair in how the difficulty works. It's definitely a lot slower than normal Skyrim but it's a nice change.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I've been playing with People of Skyrim and it's... well it is. It's big and ambitious but also half-assed.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I may be the last person to notice this but the Skyrim werewolf

is the exact same as

the Blood Omen wolf form :aaa:

I'm too lazy to make a gif of the attacks, but they're also the same!

edit: also sorry for my lovely gif making skills but i just had to get it out of my system

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Langosta Whiteman posted:

edit: also sorry for my lovely gif making skills but i just had to get it out of my system

I knew that poo poo was familiar, thanks. If only they had the Flay spell too.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm trying to edit the EXP curve to smooth it out, so that early levels take longer while later levels don't, but my math skills are lacking. I understand that I need to increase fXPLevelUpBase while lowering fXPLevelUpMult, but I'm not sure by how much to have what I want with everything still ending at LV81. Can any math wizards tell me the magic numbers, or at least show me a good graphing tool so I can visualize it for myself? :kiddo:

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

I wish I knew why my game just periodically freezes. Only occurs while moving around outdoors, so it must be something on cell load. I have not touched ugrids or anything and don't have a ton of mods running, so I'm just going to blame windows 10 and keep force-quitting and reloading. At least SE loads up quickly.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I'm trying to edit the EXP curve to smooth it out, so that early levels take longer while later levels don't, but my math skills are lacking. I understand that I need to increase fXPLevelUpBase while lowering fXPLevelUpMult, but I'm not sure by how much to have what I want with everything still ending at LV81. Can any math wizards tell me the magic numbers, or at least show me a good graphing tool so I can visualize it for myself? :kiddo:

Might be worth looking at how the uncapper does it: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1175/

Can't guarantee it's using the same variables but it seems likely. So the same math may apply?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
SKSE updated. The reddit thread has some behind-the-scene info:

extrwi posted:

I've built new tools for performing these updates faster (which is also why this update took longer). In theory they should be more accurate, but more automation could lead to larger mistakes. One of the largest source of problems in older version updates was me just accidentally skipping over an address when reading through the code. That should theoretically not be possible now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

SKSE updated. The reddit thread has some behind-the-scene info:

Is this for special edition. It's been a few months since I played and haven't kept up the news. Last I remember progress had stalled for the SE SKSE.

Alternatively: Is there a more organic way to get more perk points on leveling up than just converting dragon souls? I love Ordinator, but holy poo poo, do I need more perks unless I hyper specialize.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I use this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2743

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Langosta Whiteman posted:

I may be the last person to notice this but the Skyrim werewolf

is the exact same as

the Blood Omen wolf form :aaa:

I'm too lazy to make a gif of the attacks, but they're also the same!

I mean how many ways can a bipedal creature run with arms and legs, it's not exactly unique to blood omen....

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
They could have still used it as a reference as far as we know, nothing wrong with that.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Alternatively: Is there a more organic way to get more perk points on leveling up than just converting dragon souls? I love Ordinator, but holy poo poo, do I need more perks unless I hyper specialize.
That is precisely the point. It really is designed around vanilla perk leveling, where paths in trees are roughly built as trees unto themselves. But I feel you - I like to take my characters to 'completion' status, even though I never do, so say, post level 60 the game is "done" anyway.

But this might work well along side stuff like dragons souls -> perks in helping late game progression still truck along.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/7231/

Simple money sink, basically. I personally might prefer the same but added low odds to loot lists, but it's kind of an elegant solution to two problems - late game inflation, and late game leveling/perk progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Soonmot posted:

Is this for special edition. It's been a few months since I played and haven't kept up the news. Last I remember progress had stalled for the SE SKSE.

It hasn't stalled, they just don't communicate anymore, except when they announce a release on reddit. The previous point release had a few functions brought back, so it's not just updates to keep up with SSE exe changes.