Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Best reply to that:

https://twitter.com/jenniedelicious/status/937737481612488704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If there was ever a good reminder why all these White Supremacist and Militia groups can rot in hell, here is one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Raul_and_Brisenia_Flores

quote:

Gina Marie Gonzalez, the 31-year-old wife of Raul Flores and the mother of Brisenia, was in the home during the attack and was shot three times.[3] She survived because she pretended to be dead. When the assailants left the home, Gonzalez called 911 emergency services and armed herself with her husband's handgun. While Gonzalez was on the phone, the assailants re-entered the home, and Gonzalez fired the gun, wounding Bush. The killers then fled. Gonzalez identified two men--one white, the other Mexican--and a white woman as the attackers. Gonzales identified the white man (Bush) as the one who had murdered her daughter and her husband.

An early exchange within the 911 call was recorded as follows:
Gonzalez: "They shot me and I pretended like I was dead. My daughter was crying. They shot her, too.
Operator: "Are they still there, the people who, that shot them?"
Gonzalez: "They're coming back in! They're coming back in!" (Gunfire.)[4]

Brisenia was a third-grade student at the Sopori Elementary School in Amado, Arizona, at the time of her death.[5] Another of the Flores's daughters, a 12-year-old, was at her grandmother's home in Sahuarita, Arizona, during the attack.[6]

Good people on both sides I assume. Nearly every group associated with these fuckers is tainted by White Supremacists/Aryan Nation shitheels.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

:drat:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Crakkerjakk posted:

One year of living expenses (minus dividends or other passive income) if you're retired. I'd say six months (of bare minimum rent + utilities + groceries) if you're still working.

Advice I hear is to keep 1 month on hand and an addtl 9 months in a savings account. Something where you can transfer or liquidate within 5 business days is ideal.
I route about 30% of my paycheck to a separate account that I only touch in emergencies or when I need to put a down payment on something. I make it a priority to refund this account if I ever use it, but I never gently caress up my normal flow to do so.
The trick with financial stability is predictability and longevity of habits.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Immanentized posted:

The trick with financial stability is predictability and longevity of habits.

And the ability to actually get an income that allows you to have enough liquid assets left to do so.

Which is largely the overwhelming problem in the US: Median overall income has not matched overall productivity and the inflation of the dollar. So its not realistic for the average joe to actually set aside 1/3rd of their paycheck.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Please tell me your retirement plans are something other than ~~the market will provide~~~

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Godholio posted:

Very few people in GIP will end up actually retired, without serious injuries.

This. I had 20 and was gonna do it all the way until I realized my commander was gonna kick me out regardless. Then I decided to go out on my own.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Please tell me your retirement plans are something other than ~~the market will provide~~~

Me? gently caress yeah, I got two siblings going into the medical profession, who between them owe me 3 bail payments and a year of rent-free living.

Joking aside, I'm putting up money to acquire rental properties by my old university, and I'm planning on partnering with a classmate on a storage facility in the same area.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Soulex posted:

This. I had 20 and was gonna do it all the way until I realized my commander was gonna kick me out regardless. Then I decided to go out on my own.

I got out after 4 with only tinnitus and PTSD. Winning?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Asthma and hearing issues after 8.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Immanentized posted:

Me? gently caress yeah, I got two siblings going into the medical profession, who between them owe me 3 bail payments and a year of rent-free living.

Joking aside, I'm putting up money to acquire rental properties by my old university, and I'm planning on partnering with a classmate on a storage facility in the same area.

I am going straight index funds. Rentals seem like too much work. I'm working on certifications so that when I have enough to quit real work I can always part time contract work as much as I want to, and if the economy takes a poo poo I'll do my best to find a part time job somewhere to reduce the rate at which I need to pull out money. Or move somewhere with a much lower CoL.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/937112473521373185

Suuuuuuuure

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

If the market doesn't provide we're all hosed anyway. I'll probably start off shoring quite a bit of stuff here in the next few years as a hedge against MAGAnomics and then maybe try to move to Costa Rica or somewhere similarly affordable and politically stable to retire.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/senate-gop-accidentally-killed-all-corporate-tax-deductions.html

The Senate GOP Accidentally Killed Some of Its Donors’ Favorite Tax Breaks

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

haha retirement plans, what do you think this is, ye olde america? No, this is neo america, twice the america that america ever was.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

mlmp08 posted:

Having no college debt and being a DINK household is a way to find yourself not wealthy, but so much above the median that it's ridiculous. It's loving awful how many people are two week's pay away from defaulting on stuff or having to sell off their possessions.

Uh, even being two months or even two years away from defaulting on stuff doesn't really matter when random illness strikes in the US.

I mean, Wasabi's post on this very page is just the most recent example.

You're doing everything right, are supporting a family with one, or two incomes, you have a home, good career prospects - at the very least healthily stable ones - and everything's looking well for you.
You or any of your loved ones have fallen seriously ill, none of any of that matters, you're know financially destitute lol

Greatest country in the history of the world.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

quote:

since 2013, the federal reserve board has conducted a survey to “monitor the financial and economic status of American consumers.” Most of the data in the latest survey, frankly, are less than earth-shattering: 49 percent of part-time workers would prefer to work more hours at their current wage; 29 percent of Americans expect to earn a higher income in the coming year; 43 percent of homeowners who have owned their home for at least a year believe its value has increased. But the answer to one question was astonishing. The Fed asked respondents how they would pay for a $400 emergency.

The answer: 47 percent of respondents said that either they would cover the expense by borrowing or selling something, or they would not be able to come up with the $400 at all. Four hundred dollars! Who knew?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/my-secret-shame/476415/

fuuck talking like retiring is a thing just lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

psydude posted:

Go overseas for an MBA. It'll cost 1/4 as much for a comparable education at a world class institution versus a top one in the states. Plus the whole international thing looks good.

Also, this.

Germany will loving throw money at you to come here and get a degree. gently caress, same with Austria, I'm pretty sure.

Not sure about the French or the island monkeys, the former smell and the latter think they're the only ones that sound smart :colbert:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Uh, even being two months or even two years away from defaulting on stuff doesn't really matter when random illness strikes in the US.

Sure, that will totally gently caress you, but I'd still way fuckin' rather be the person who can afford to fix a car without a loan than not.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I mean, Wasabi's post on this very page is just the most recent example.

You're doing everything right, are supporting a family with one, or two incomes, you have a home, good career prospects - at the very least healthily stable ones - and everything's looking well for you.
You or any of your loved ones have fallen seriously ill, none of any of that matters, you're know financially destitute lol

Greatest country in the history of the world.

This is true. Which is why a large part of my retirement planning involves finding someplace with an actual functional health Care system.

Costa Rica's health care system has better outcomes than the US and just requires you to pay something like 10% of your monthly income in taxes to get signed up for it, I think.

Kinda still hosed if something goes sideways on the way to retirement, though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Sure, that will totally gently caress you, but I'd still way fuckin' rather be the person who can afford to fix a car without a loan than not.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, it's just that feel this sense of dread and impending doom by even thinking about planning out an average life in the US.

Stepping into a tooth pick in a carpet cost me 450 dollars with good health insurance, but could have still cost me my day-job had I not been a job-seeking unwashed foreigner that no-one would hire because lol work visa program.
Without, or with considerably less than that health insurance, the total bill could have added up to the full 3,750 bucks or so that I racked up, not even including cash co-pay.

That's a loving toothpick that could have kicked any average family with a not too stable job, and your average amount of debt/loans over the edge into that downward spiral.

gently caress me, this still terrifies me even writing about it. And it was the tiniest loving nothingburger.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

CHRISTMAS IS BACK

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Crakkerjakk posted:

I got out after 4 with only tinnitus and PTSD. Winning?

Yup, 9 and I’ll never run or jump again with PTSD and a bunch others like tussive syncope and dihydrotic eczema.

I can’t even get a job at Burger King.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/937661677700550656

Alan loving Dershowitz :lol:

"I'm being prosecuted unfairly, here's the guy that's famous for helping to get OJ walk on murder charges to tell you so".

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, this.

Germany will loving throw money at you to come here and get a degree. gently caress, same with Austria, I'm pretty sure.

okay but what if i already have a degree

i want to become the next great German, like Kim Dotcom

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

okay but what if i already have a degree

i want to become the next great German, like Kim Dotcom

Stay the gently caress out of nz

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Does Germany have a good communications program?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

We did, but then a gay Brit invented the computer and broke it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

This is some amazing poo poo right here.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

nice

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Duzzy Funlop posted:

:drat:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

:perfect:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Hitler ftw

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Ah, it seems my keyboard has changed my "wtf" into "ftw," apologies all around.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Here's my retirement plan: die before I turn 60.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

At age 60 my wife and I will have a deathmatch. Winner takes both retirement accounts, loser gets a free funeral.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Legit shocked trump hasn't tried to fire Mueller by tweet yet

I mean he can't I'm just surprised he hasn't tried

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

:lol:
:perfect:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I didn't see this come across the forums yet, but the sudden burst in availability and popularity of drones has been weirding me out for some time now:
https://info.publicintelligence.net/ICE-DJI-China.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Immanentized posted:

I didn't see this come across the forums yet, but the sudden burst in availability and popularity of drones has been weirding me out for some time now:
https://info.publicintelligence.net/ICE-DJI-China.pdf

I've been thinking of a project that straps a solar cell to a drone carrying a raspberry pi that utilizes a network of raspberry pis for remote connection to attack WiFi networks. Just a thought experiment.

• Locked thread