Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

All things considered, I feel like the small possibility of a nuclear breach is fairly balanced by the small chance that the threat will speed up the end of the ongoing genocide by famine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It has the word "nuclear" in it, so the facts really don't matter as much as the perception.

I mean, perception beats facts for almost everything, but that goes like 500% for anything that involves nuclear power. A fire aboard an aircraft carrier can end up classified as a nuclear incident if the carrier is either nuclear-powered or carrying nuclear weapons in its magazines, even if the fire has nothing to do with them.

I know. I was actually considering editing my post to say that it was dumb of them anyways because people would freak out about anything with the word "nuclear" getting attacked but you beat me to it. I've just been around nuclear plants for basically my entire life and misinformation about them pisses me off like basically nothing else.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

I understand that, trust me. But when you double down and point to Fukushima, best buckle up.

We're kinda talking past each other. I'm aware that, like you said, a lovely Houthi missile strike will do fuckall to a nuclear plant 99 times out of 100. At the same time the average person will hear "missile attack against nuclear power plant" and start picturing Godzilla's Camel Spider Cousin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Haystack posted:

All things considered, I feel like the small possibility of a nuclear breach is fairly balanced by the small chance that the threat will speed up the end of the ongoing genocide by famine.

Pretty much, that's the larger issue with threatening to strike a nuclear plant. It'll just draw out the siege even further and the Saudis will dig in further.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

At the same time the average person will hear "missile attack against nuclear power plant" and start picturing Godzilla's Camel Spider Cousin.

Its about time, they are kind of running out of ideas for Godzilla's next opponent.

That and Gamera is friend of all children.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu1YFshFuI4 These sort of spent fuel casks are used worldwide now. And that's from 1978, multiple improvements have been made.

And that's before we get to the idea that a missile hitting a spent fuel cask is going to cask it to burn and actually release isotopes into the air.

thanks friend, i saw that video that they show on official tours of every nuclear power plant too

unfortunately, the supermajority of onsite spent nuclear fuel is stored in cooling pools, not in dry casks

i am impressed by your confidence that the UAE is running that plant as safely and professionally as can be

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 4, 2017

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is it really that bad? Like, is anyone going to do something to them that they wouldn't have done otherwise? At least undermining the economy of their opponents, by making them appear an unsafe investment, has the potential to convince them to back down.

Threatening to blow up nuclear plants does not play well on the world stage. It could easily be used as justification to attack them, to impose sanctions, or what have you. Countries that were/are on the fence may move closer to being actively hostile.

Its dumb because you could take out the "nuclear" part without changing the meaning. Houthis being able to launch missiles at UAE is a big deal. To intimidate them, and to scare off potential trading partners, it doesn't much matter where the missile goes. A port would have been even better, and way less controversial.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty much, that's the larger issue with threatening to strike a nuclear plant. It'll just draw out the siege even further and the Saudis will dig in further.

Yeah, in terms of public perception an armed group claiming they're attacking a nuclear plant is up there with targeting an orphanage staffed by puppies in terms of how the world will react.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

At the risk of going to jail, the news have been quite about nuclear plants since announcing they would build the plant, there is no news about it being complete, i believe its also still not functional either since they hiked electricity prices by 20%

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Count Roland posted:

Threatening to blow up nuclear plants does not play well on the world stage. It could easily be used as justification to attack them, to impose sanctions, or what have you. Countries that were/are on the fence may move closer to being actively hostile.

Its dumb because you could take out the "nuclear" part without changing the meaning. Houthis being able to launch missiles at UAE is a big deal. To intimidate them, and to scare off potential trading partners, it doesn't much matter where the missile goes. A port would have been even better, and way less controversial.
If adding "nuclear" to the attack makes people react more strongly, wouldn't the same apply to its power as a deterrence against investments? Like, people could believe their investments were safe if they just hit random poo poo, but if they think a strike can turn the whole country into some nuclear wasteland then that seems like it'd incentivize investing somewhere else?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If adding "nuclear" to the attack makes people react more strongly, wouldn't the same apply to its power as a deterrence against investments? Like, people could believe their investments were safe if they just hit random poo poo, but if they think a strike can turn the whole country into some nuclear wasteland then that seems like it'd incentivize investing somewhere else?

If people think the threat is credible, yeah, but that just provides even more incentive to the target of such threats to ensure that they can't be carried out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

thanks friend, i saw that video that they show on official tours of every nuclear power plant too

unfortunately, the supermajority of onsite spent nuclear fuel is stored in cooling pools, not in dry casks

i am impressed by your confidence that the UAE is running that plant as safely and professionally as can be

Awesome, so it'll blow up in some cooling ponds and nothing will really happen other than contaminating the cooling pond water which is treated as contaminated anyways?

And you think there is open cooling pools in the UAE? Do you know what the average temperature is there?

Bonus: I don't think any of UAE plants are even active till 2018. So none of them are even fueled. Unit one was still only 98% completed as of September of this year, Operation start and first criticality will be 2018.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barakah_nuclear_power_plant

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 4, 2017

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Russia has always been a true friend of the YPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8nZOArDKI

http://en.hawarnews.com/levgini-we-coordinated-with-ypg-to-liberate-east-of-euphrates-will-restore-life-stability-to-it/

quote:

NEWS DESK- Russian commands met on Monday with the General Command of the People Protection Units (YPG) in Deir-ez-Zor countryside, and confirmed that in coordination with YPG and the Arab tribes, they are completing the military operations to eliminate the remaining sites to IS gangs in the eastern countryside of Deir ez-Zor, and to form a consensus to restore life to the liberated areas.

An oral statement was delivered by the Russian Colonel General Levgini who is the deputy of the commander of the Russian base of Hamimim in Syria during the meeting held with the commands of YPG in al-Salihiya neighborhood which is it the first neighborhood of northern of Deir ez-Zor Represented by the spokesperson of YPG Nury Mahmoud, the spokesperson on behalf of al-Jazeera Tempest Lilwa al-Abdullah, and the co-chair of the Deir ez-Zor Civil Council Ghassan al-Youssef.

Levgini noted that under the command of joint operations and coordination by the Hamimim base of the Russian assembly in Syria, they are completing a an operation to destroy all IS mercenaries sites in the east of Deir ez–Zor, and the gathering of the Russian commando forces supported the national defense of the eastern tribes of the Euphrates River, and YPG to liberate all the eastern areas from IS.

Levigny stressed that during the operation of liberating the eastern countryside, the Russian warplane participated in carrying out 672 blows, and hit 1,450 site of IS mercenaries.

He pointed out that they would consider al-Salihiya village as a center of the Russian Joint operations room with YPG and the Arab tribes to complete liberating the rest of the north of the Euphrates River from IS.

He said “after liberating the entire of the eastern countryside of the Euphrates River and Deir-ez-Zor, life must be restored to this area, so a center for reconciliation has been opened whose task will be gathering of all the sheikhs, tribes, and components of the area east of the Euphrates. Now, several branches are working in al-Salihiya, Hajinm, and Debban villages to form a gathering and bring aids to the area.”

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If there's ever going to be any kind of non-violent reconciliation between the SDF's territory (or oil) and the regime, it's going to have to come about because the YPG trusts Russia to hold the regime to its guarantees, so if I'm Assad I don't hate that Russia and the YPG are buds. The YPG has an incentive too since they might trust Russia to guarantee them against Turkey longer than they think the US will be interested in doing so, or they could just be leveraging Russia against the US to see who can give them the better deal. The US won't do anything to help Afrin anyway though.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 4, 2017

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Maybe but I doubt it. If you're planning on investing billions in a place I assume you're doing a bit of homework. Any analysis would show the threat is minimal.

But invoking the word nuclear gives wonderful ammunition against the houthis. If they resort to attacking nuclear plants, what's to say they wouldn't use dirty bomb material from Iran against the gulf states-- or so the think tanks will ask.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love how the Saudis now want to force Mahmoud Abbas to accept a hilariously awful 'peace deal' between them and Israel, and if he doesn't agree to it they will just replace him with someone who will sign it.

https://twitter.com/mahamyahya/status/937694636616880129

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love how the Saudis now want to force Mahmoud Abbas to accept a hilariously awful 'peace deal' between them and Israel, and if he doesn't agree to it they will just replace him with someone who will sign it.

https://twitter.com/mahamyahya/status/937694636616880129

Israel and fascism are one enemy against all free Arabs and muslims. God drat them all. If the Palestinians are forced to surrender then Saudi Arabia just handed Arab and Islamic history to the loving ayatollahs once and for all. It will be the murderers of the Iranian regime that who will receive the historical high ground, fuuuck thaaaaat.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 4, 2017

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

If there's ever going to be any kind of non-violent reconciliation between the SDF's territory (or oil) and the regime, it's going to have to come about because the YPG trusts Russia to hold the regime to its guarantees, so if I'm Assad I don't hate that Russia and the YPG are buds. The YPG has an incentive too since they might trust Russia to guarantee them against Turkey longer than they think the US will be interested in doing so, or they could just be leveraging Russia against the US to see who can give them the better deal. The US won't do anything to help Afrin anyway though.

:same:

Russia is probably the only faction that can, in the long term, prevent conflict between the East Euphrates region and Assad/Turkey. Perhaps the US might have been able to do so under competent leadership but that is clearly not an option and neither is staying there indefinitely. Russia might also be interested in good relations with the Kurds to act as a check against Assad running away from their interests once the war is finished. It also adds another chip against Turkey. Overall a promising development that hopefully is sincere.

Another item is that the Kurds represent the same sort of federation that Russia has been pushing in Ukraine for years now. Russia's intervention in Syria has always been linked to Ukraine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It sure seems like MBS wants an Arab/Israeli vs. Iranian war....

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's never going to get a dumber and more easily flattered president than the one he's conned now. YOLO

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's the same bargain Arab fascist animals do, signing peace treaties with Israel is the ultimate guarantee against pesky things like freedom and democracy, since at that point America and Israel will stop at nothing to make sure your grip on power never falters.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 4, 2017

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

It's the same bargain Arab fascist animals do, signing peace treaties with Israel is the ultimate guarantee against pesky things like freedom and democracy, since at that point America and Israel will stop at nothing to make sure your grip on power never falters.

Until the entire thing shatters and events spiral out of control.

Here's to the Forever War.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

why is this man still around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwFaSpca_3Q

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm wondering if MBS is an Iranian agent, given how every single thing he attempts makes KSA looks super evil and seems to benefit Iran.

MBS makes friends with Saleh and a day later the man's dead. Coincidence? I think not! :tinfoil:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shageletic posted:

Easy, he says what people in DC want, and therefore he never had to be right or really even coherent.

(The really surprising thing is he has been working at this since the 1980s, and still as a college freshmen level knowledge of the Middle East.)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, he is a useful idiot for the powerful/rich with a knack only for remaining useful.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
All the think tank types in DC I know have been laughing at Friedman. I don't know anyone who takes him seriously.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
He was just at the Saban center, so he still has an audience. In fact, that entire conference is a pretty great watch.

Also, Netanyahu and MbS coming out with the same plan (the Palestinians get bupkis) is similarly gold.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 4, 2017

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Al-Saqr posted:

Israel and fascism are one enemy against all free Arabs and muslims. God drat them all. If the Palestinians are forced to surrender then Saudi Arabia just handed Arab and Islamic history to the loving ayatollahs once and for all. It will be the murderers of the Iranian regime that who will receive the historical high ground, fuuuck thaaaaat.

I'd have thought that as soon as they built the hotel that overshadows the Kabaa...alas I was wrong.

For non-muslims in the thread, I can't stress how deeply ingrained in Islamic cultures Palestinian solidarity is and how bad the "optics" of a move like this is. Almost every jummah I have ever been to has had a dua that has included Palestine, regardless of culture, denomination, or location (in the US, admittedly)*. Depending on if/how the news of this sort of backstabbing gets out, there'll be pretty severe blowback for KSA from all sorts of alignments within Dar Al-Islam. There's really no upside on any of this except to build an anti-Iranian coalition with complete and utter tunnel vision.

*Al Sadr, does this sort of culture that constant refers to the plight of the Palestinians exist in KSA anymore? I'm curious how many people there would react if the news gets to them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ardennes posted:

He was just at the Saban center, so he still has an audience. In fact, that entire conference is a pretty great watch.

Also, Netanyahu and MbS coming out with the same plan (the Palestinians get bupkis) is similarly gold.
I mean, if you want to look at it in purely pragmatic terms, the Palestinians are not a major concern of the Saudis. They are just a bargaining chip.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean, if you want to look at it in purely pragmatic terms, the Palestinians are not a major concern of the Saudis. They are just a bargaining chip.

Yeah, and man....are the Saudis cashing in all their chips.

I have a hard time believing that completely selling the Palestinians down the river isn't going to have cost in public perception especially with everything else going on. Also, the "proposal" is a pretty much unconditional surrender by Palestinians, there is no future for them if they accept that plan.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/937801449421066240

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the news is if Syria actually strikes back, which they wont. Israel doing what it wants and bombing what it wants in Syria isnt news.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Count Roland posted:

The world is letting the Sauds starve and murder Yemeni civilians. I doubt they give a poo poo about how it plays at this point.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

woops wrong thred

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 5, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think they're just greedy, which justifies using those means to exploit people.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

guidoanselmi posted:

I'd have thought that as soon as they built the hotel that overshadows the Kabaa...alas I was wrong.

For non-muslims in the thread, I can't stress how deeply ingrained in Islamic cultures Palestinian solidarity is and how bad the "optics" of a move like this is. Almost every jummah I have ever been to has had a dua that has included Palestine, regardless of culture, denomination, or location (in the US, admittedly)*. Depending on if/how the news of this sort of backstabbing gets out, there'll be pretty severe blowback for KSA from all sorts of alignments within Dar Al-Islam. There's really no upside on any of this except to build an anti-Iranian coalition with complete and utter tunnel vision.

*Al Sadr, does this sort of culture that constant refers to the plight of the Palestinians exist in KSA anymore? I'm curious how many people there would react if the news gets to them.

Almost every week here in Bahrain.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
That Barnard story seems like internal PA politicking more than anything else, it doesn't sound plausible.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Houthis probably saw this one coming months in advance. THey always despised Saleh and he tried to kill them all before so yeah. Why would Slahe do this while literally inside the capital of the Houthis I cannot fathom.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

lollontee posted:

The Houthis probably saw this one coming months in advance. THey always despised Saleh and he tried to kill them all before so yeah. Why would Slahe do this while literally inside the capital of the Houthis I cannot fathom.

I was surprised the houthis even allied with him, he killed the current leader's father. They probably didn't trust him from day one, and during the conflict most of the combat was conducted by the houthis, while news bunched them together usually (here in the gulf) there was no mention of the yemeni army loyal to saleh doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Shageletic posted:

People in power always need a useful idiot to sell their war.