Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Aston posted:

The D&T mirror is great.

It's really loving tedious, but I do think they're really challenging and often reward really tight play more than a lot of other mirror matches you could get. Sometimes variance is a bitch, but while I dread them, I think they're really skill-testing.

They're REALLY miserable when your opponent just bought the deck and has no idea what they're doing and tanks for 2 minutes every turn. Miracles had/has the same problem. But if you both play quickly it's not too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I think if your opponent doesn't know what they're doing and takes 2 minutes every turn it's going to be tedious no matter what deck they're playing.

Also the looming spectre of Jitte is part of what I like about it, it's a whole intricate dance trying to land it unopposed first. It's especially good post sideboard when each player has like 8 answers to it in their deck and you have to be wary of deploying it too early and it getting Council's Judgmented or whatever away.

The mirror is one of my favourite matchups to play, together with Miracles, for how interesting it is.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
:same:

I still dread it because it takes forever and also need to be at the top of my game, but I think it's a really skill-testing matchup for both players and a lot of the really great matches I remember from Atlanta were mirrors. It's why I'm loving Vintage right now; except for Dredge, I feel like every game really requires me to focus and play my hardest.

I also might be biased because my record with the mirror that weekend was like 4-1 or something nuts like that. Like you said, it's a dance, deploying threats you don't mind using to bait out Judgments and stuff, and a lot of my opponents just played it straight and dumped their hands, dropped their Ports into early Wastelands, etc. It's really tricky and the game is decided by the most minute decisions. That game I mentioned earlier was 100% decided by my opponent choosing to exile a Mom instead of a Sword.

loving all-star in my list, though, is my one-of Palace Jailer. That dude has done more work than anyone else.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I absolutely love Palace Jailer, and he's another one where it really rewards you to be patient and wait for the right time to drop him into play.

I vialed him in to exile a lethal Inkmoth Nexus against infect and my opponent picked it up, read it for about 30 seconds, then practically threw it back to me in disgust. If that's not what Magic's all about, I don't know what else it could be.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ask me about the time I killed a lethal Inkmoth with a Thalia in play and only 1 mana untapped and no Vial.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it's, to me, extremely hosed up that people play decks without fair magic cards like Brainstorm, Force of Will, and Ponder in them. i;m disgusted that people would disrespect the game like that

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Ask me about the time I killed a lethal Inkmoth with a Thalia in play and only 1 mana untapped and no Vial.

"Hey Suicidesteve, how did you kill a lethal Inkmoth Nexus with a Thalia but only 1 mana untapped and no Vial?"

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

suicidesteve posted:

You were at 9 poison and used a gut shot?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Icatian Javlineers

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it's, to me, extremely hosed up that people play decks without fair magic cards like Brainstorm, Force of Will, and Ponder in them. i;m disgusted that people would disrespect the game like that

I only play Lands because I felt I needed to feel like the rest of the players from time to time and stop casting Show and Tell so much.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Thisuck posted:

"Hey Suicidesteve, how did you kill a lethal Inkmoth Nexus with a Thalia but only 1 mana untapped and no Vial?"

Thanks for asking! I'd been leaving Port up for the Inkmoth all game, I played a Stoneforge that was going to allow me to get a Jitte hit in next turn, but he EOT Crop Rotated to Waste my Port. He untapped,activated, tapped down to 1 mana to cast a lethal pump spell, and got owned by ABOLISH. You know that thing people do where they perk up and go faster when they know they're about to win? This is the only time I've ever seen someone do that but then immediately do it in reverse.

2nd main he played a forest and I said "Let's see the Vines." He showed it and died horribly to Jitte.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I don't even own Force of Wills anymore: smuggo:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

I don't even own Force of Wills anymore: smuggo:

Mine sit in the binder looking pretty but unused, just for people like Johnny Five-Jaces.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Blue cards? In legacy? In 2017?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Thanks for asking! I'd been leaving Port up for the Inkmoth all game, I played a Stoneforge that was going to allow me to get a Jitte hit in next turn, but he EOT Crop Rotated to Waste my Port. He untapped,activated, tapped down to 1 mana to cast a lethal pump spell, and got owned by ABOLISH. You know that thing people do where they perk up and go faster when they know they're about to win? This is the only time I've ever seen someone do that but then immediately do it in reverse.

this is extremely hosed up. I'm going to be sick. you should be in jail

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

this is extremely hosed up. I'm going to be sick. you should be in jail

Don't be mad that my free spells counter lands and yours don't.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

2nd main he played a forest and I said "Let's see the Vines." He showed it and died horribly to Jitte.

1. That rules, gently caress Inkmoth Nexus.
2. So he tapped down to one mana without playing a land for turn first, then lost his Inkmoth when he could've theoretically saved it with Vines in hand and an extra G source in play?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

1. That rules, gently caress Inkmoth Nexus.
2. So he tapped down to one mana without playing a land for turn first, then lost his Inkmoth when he could've theoretically saved it with Vines in hand and an extra G source in play?

Agreed and yep, sucks to suck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm super-neurotic about playing a land each turn if possible, potentially to a detrimental point. I can't bluff for poo poo and would rather have the extra mana in play than try to psych my opponent out with a "mystery card" in hand, unless there's a discard outlet like LotV in play.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

:golfclap: got'em

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love beating D&T players who forget about their Thalia and die to a 20/20 because they didn't have the mana to pay the tax for their Swords.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I once played a legacy open running Solidarity during the Dig Through Time days, and R1 went past time, well beyond my match, because of a D&T mirror that ended in a draw G1. It looked cool as hell.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

EvilBeard posted:

I love beating D&T players who forget about their Thalia and die to a 20/20 because they didn't have the mana to pay the tax for their Swords.

I had a rash of annoying people playing D&T one year when I was on Lands.

No one expects Tower of the Magistrate to be crop rotated for.

gently caress your stupid jitte and your swords and your batterskull.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wow rude.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Went 3-1 with swans in modern today

R1 vs mono black 8 rack
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1: my opponent goes thoughtseize into shrieking affliction into the rack into lily of the veil, I discard lands and go T3 assault T4 swans

G2: opponent opens with a thoughtseize and sees 3 temple, 3 serum visions, swans. Takes the swans. I dig and my opponent smallpox’s twice. I eventually get to 3 mana and drop a sphinx’s tutelage. My opponent inquisitions and thoughtseizes and I just play a land per turn until I get to 6 so I can activate tutelage. I mill the mono black deck out despite my opponent trying to get me into affliction range with repeated ravens crimes.

R2 can g/w value
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1: my T3 assault gets chord -> rec sage’d. I land a swans next turn and then get a molten vortex to keep the board clear until I can find another assault.

G2: my opponent goes T1 hierarch T2 qasali pridemage. So I play a seismic assault into the pridemage and kill his hierarch at the same time. Opponent e-wits the pride mage back to hand and I play a swans. Opponent plays a course and I take hits down to 5 before opponent finally plays out the pridemage with one Card left in hand. I run out the Anger of the Gods I’d been sandbagging for several turns, draw a molten vortex, play it, and use my last red mana to finish off the courser. After that it’s treasure hunt into assault.

R3 vs eldrazi tron
Win die roll
Lose 0-2

G1: opponent hits all is dust the turn before I go off and has a clock

G2: I draw all the swans and my opponent draw all the creatures. Opponent has a great line where I’m at 3 and he basilisk collars his trampler so he only has to assign 1 damage to each blocker and wrecks me for lethal.

R4 vs u/w control
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1: this is a straight u/w wall of omens duffle control. My T3 seismic assault gets detention sohere’d, T4 swans gets path’d (I choose not to search for a basic) I land a molten vortex and eventually find a swans while my opponent cantrips and sculpts his hand. I pass and opponent path’s the new swans on end step, so I use my 3 open mana to throw 3 lands and the swans and draw 6 cards, path resolves and I choose not to search again. One of the six cards is another seismic assault, opponent casts Gideon, emblem’s the Gideon, and passes. I untap, resolve seismic assault, followed by treasure hunt (playing around mana leak) and that’s all she wrote.

G2: this game was really interesting. I have a T1 relic that I use to keep the yard clear, and I try to jam some action, and eventually get a seismic assault and swans in play, and I have scry’d an island to the bottom of my deck. I start to combo off but I have sided out 7 land and my opponent is at 20 life, has a Gideon emblem, and a 6 mana Gideon with 8 counters. I’ve used several lands killing his previous 2 Gideon’s. So I dig myself down to 2 cards left in library kill the Gideon, throw 4 land at my opponents dome, and discard down to 7

So I am at 4 mana and my library contains 2 cards (basic island on the bottom, 1 unknown)
My board is: swans, seismic assault, and Relic of Progenitus
I discard down to 7 and sculpt my hand to the following: mountain, days undoing, lab man, 3x spell pierce, Relic of Progenitus (I probably should have grabbed a serum visions instead of this)

This leaves me with two lines:

1) my opponent does nothing and passes with mana up. In that case I play land 5, cast days undoing with double spell pierce backup, and hope I have enough land to finish my opponent after days undoing resolves (a perfectly fine line of play)

2) (this is the line that ended up happening). My opponent paths the swans (assuming that I’m going for the days undoing line) I let it resolve and search my library for an island and put it into play (1 Card left in library) opponent passes the turn over to me, I untap, draw the last card in my library, play the mountain from land, cast lab man, ask if it resolves (it does) and activate the Relic of Progenitus to draw a Card. Opponent says “I forgot about lab man, you have double spell pierce backup?” I confirm, gg.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

you're doing the lord's work

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You are my hero and this is now in my shopping cart (We have a bunch of D&T around here)

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I'm buying Vizier knightfall for modern this month and I've been looking around and it seems to transfer well into maverick in legacy, does anyone have experience of playing it at a high level, is it a competitive legacy deck?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

All power to you but I find those cards are super soft to Maze of Ith anyway.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aston posted:

All power to you but I find those cards are super soft to Maze of Ith anyway.

Yeah, I mean they have to take the time to re-equip after they find a Wasteland, but it just seems like a narrower Maze.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

EvilBeard posted:

Yeah, I mean they have to take the time to re-equip after they find a Wasteland, but it just seems like a narrower Maze.

Oh it's not the best card, it just the card that pisses them off the most. Besides unequipping the token makes them have to bounce the batterskull if they have nothing else and it eats up their Mana to have to keep reequiping.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tower does tap for mana, which I imagine is largely irrelevant in Lands but means I've seen it in Drazi before.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

Tower does tap for mana, which I imagine is largely irrelevant in Lands but means I've seen it in Drazi before.

Everything taps for mana when you have a Riftstone Portal in the yard. :smugdog:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

EvilBeard posted:

Everything taps for mana when you have a Riftstone Portal in the yard. :smugdog:

I miss being able to play that card, but DRS is good :(

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Skyl3lazer posted:

I miss being able to play that card, but DRS is good :(

I still run one, with 4 Punishing Fire, you can usually kill a DRS before it gets out of hand.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Unofficially 1-1 at my first FNM with GW Value Company-
5 Forest
1 Gavony Township
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Plains
3 Temple Garden
2 Verdant Catacombs
4 Windswept Heath
2 Aven Mindcensor
1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Collected Company
4 Courser of Kruphix
1 Eternal Witness
4 Knight of the Reliquary
3 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
1 Qasali Pridemage
2 Ramunap Excavator
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Tireless Tracker
3 Voice of Resurgence
//Sideboard
1 Blessed Alliance
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Kataki, War's Wage
2 Kitchen Finks
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Stony Silence
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Whisperwood Elemental

Lost in 2 to Mardu Nahiri Control, then beat Mono-black Control in 2, then was down a game to Grixis DS when I had to bail to go pick up my wife. Game 1 vs MBC I was down 25 to 1 on life and clawed my way back to win when I was able to stick Mindcensor+Excavator+Courser with a couple of Ghost Quarters and just completely cut him out from playing anything.

I kind of wish there was a more impressive payoff than having a really big KotR or Tracker in play, but I won those two games on the back of really big KotRs and/or Trackers so maybe I shouldn't complain. Tracker was good enough that I kind of want more, I've seen this same list elsewhere but +1 Tracker -1 ScOoze, and the following sideboard which I think is straight-up better than what I currently have-
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Kataki, War's Wage
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Mirran Crusader
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Stony Silence
2 Surgical Extraction

Thoughts on which sideboard is better?

E: Bought an IMA pack when signing up and then completely forgot to open it until just now. Pulled an Aether Vial :toot: Maybe it's a sign that I should build Hatebears after all?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 9, 2017

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Went 4-0-1 with Lands at FNM. Beat Sultai, Goblins, Eldrazi, and Elves then drew with Grixis Delver to guarantee 1st for me and 4th for him since I was the lone undefeated.

Feels good. :smugdog:

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

I really want to play lands but I just can't rationalize the tabernacle. I envision that it plays like a "version" of my Karn edh deck in that it rewards incremental, tight plays and exploits unique and obscure angles. A tabernacle would be perfect in that deck too, ha. Edit to point out the Karn deck has been around since way before wastes were a thing so the land base is a front and center component of the deck.

Guess I'll just stick to my tin fins that sideboards into forces and show and tells ... yes it's bad but also fun

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 11, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Do we have any more weirdos out there playing Mill now that Glimpses are way cheaper? I haven't played the deck in a few months while its worst matchups are either popular or resurgent, but I'm getting the itch again-
4 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Island
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
4 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp
3 Watery Grave
4 Archive Trap
3 Crypt Incursion
2 Damnation
3 Fatal Push
2 Fraying Sanity
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Hedron Crab
4 Mesmeric Orb
2 Mind Funeral
2 Snapcaster Mage
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond

//Sideboard
1 Cryptic Command
3 Echoing Truth
2 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Negate
3 Ravenous Trap
1 Surgical Extraction

The singleton Cryptic is maybe too spicy for a two-color deck running four Ghost Quarters, but all of its modes seem really good here, especially the tapdown which pairs well with Orb. Maybe it should just be the fourth Fatal Push but the deck needs more cards that can answer more than one threat. Sometimes I wonder if the people running Ensnaring Bridge in this deck are right after all :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
It's a hell of a lot slower but maybe replace 1-2 ghost quarters with field of ruin, since it doesn't have a May so you get guaranteed archive trapping