Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Also I assume movie stars with kids like being in movies their kids like.
Adding to the list, Martin Sheen's grandkids (maybe nephew it's been a long time since I saw that interview) are why he was in Spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Viggo Mortensen didn't want to play Aragorn at first, but his son convinced him.

One of the actors for Dumbledore claims he didn't want to take the part, but his granddaughter told him she'd never speak with him again if he refused.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

What does any of this have to do with Disney sucking rear end?

VVVVVVVVVVVVV figures :o:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 30, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It doesn't. The conversation has moved on, because no one really cares other than you.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Guyver posted:

Adding to the list, Martin Sheen's grandkids (maybe nephew it's been a long time since I saw that interview) are why he was in Spawn.

He was great in it so i'm glad :)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What does any of this have to do with Disney sucking rear end?

VVVVVVVVVVVVV figures :o:

Seems more of your problem than anyone else's.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CelticPredator posted:

Seems more of your problem than anyone else's.

Yes, thank you. I made a bad attempt at humor.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
A late addition to the baffling German movie title discussion, Thor: Ragnarok is called Thor: Tag der Entscheidung in Germany because Germans apparently have never heard of Ragnarok.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There isnt some german word similar to apocalypse? Or armagedon

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gotterdammerung?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Yeah, funny thing is that they are talking about Ragnarok in the movie itself all the time. No translation for that word...

Edit:. Disney is bad with German titles anyway. There's always at least a mediocre subline. Big Hero Six was called Baymax - Riesiges Robowabohu ffs.

AlexF fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 3, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

You know it's a Chinese Star Wars trailer when a significant chunk of it is dedicated to recapping the previous film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLIvp8JIWNE

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Bright : Shadowrun :: Altered Carbon : Cyberpunk 2020 ?

Teaser for Netflix's Altered Carbon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7Eob4YFDQ

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 4, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alehkhs posted:

Bright : Shadowrun :: Altered Carbon : Cyberpunk 2020 ?

Teaser for Netflix's Altered Carbon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7Eob4YFDQ

It's based on a book, the book owns, and this looks loving amazing holy poo poo :shittypop:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, that book is a blast, though I wonder about RoboCop as the lead given the premise of the thing is people moving around between bodies. Seems weird to have one of the bodies be a known actor you're trying to sell the series with.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Altered Carbon is Extremely My poo poo but that trailer didn't do it for me. I dunno, it had a harder edge on the whole thing in my mind. I dislike book adaptations just because my dumb brain rejects things that go against my mental model, adds an element of resistance that you don't get with original cinematic works. Only have myself to blame.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the trailer didn't really do much for me either, but gotta assume they're trying to rope in people who've never heard of the books by highlighting comparisons to Westworld, Blade Runner 2049, etc. I'm still very curious about the show.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Altered Carbon is Extremely My poo poo but that trailer didn't do it for me. I dunno, it had a harder edge on the whole thing in my mind. I dislike book adaptations just because my dumb brain rejects things that go against my mental model, adds an element of resistance that you don't get with original cinematic works. Only have myself to blame.

Yeah, I think most of that is an in universe ad and the story is (mostly) far from the rarified heights that ad is aimed at. Those of us who read the Kovacs books don't need convincing, and this teaser is enough to intrigue their target audience.

I'm expecting some ultraviolence and serious mind-fuckery with characters having multiple (and radically different in Kovacs's case) sleeves.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Out of curiosity for fans of the books, do they do anything involving different gender presentations and identities through switching up a character's sleeves, or is it pretty much male character has male sleeves, female character has female sleeves

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jenny Angel posted:

Out of curiosity for fans of the books, do they do anything involving different gender presentations and identities through switching up a character's sleeves, or is it pretty much male character has male sleeves, female character has female sleeves

God drat you're making me reach to remember, but I *think* there was at least one secondary character that swapped genders. I'm going to have to put them on the re-read list now.

This is also the guy who wrote a hack and slash fantasy series with a gay man as the primary POV. A Land Fit For Heroes trilogy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

got any sevens posted:

I saw Last Temptation of Christ recently, this one doesn't seem as good :/

I like the idea of bringing Mary Magdalene into the forefront, as she was in the early years of Christianity before the third Council of Nicea or whatever. Gnostic Gospels talk about her uniqueness as Christ's apostle, and even though I'm atheist as hell, its interesting to see it coming back. Also the actress is great (just rewatched the Social Network again).

e:

married but discreet posted:

A late addition to the baffling German movie title discussion, Thor: Ragnarok is called Thor: Tag der Entscheidung in Germany because Germans apparently have never heard of Ragnarok.

this is just bizaare. Who the hell made ragnarok popular then, is it only a Scandanavian thing?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Proteus Jones posted:

God drat you're making me reach to remember, but I *think* there was at least one secondary character that swapped genders. I'm going to have to put them on the re-read list now.

This is also the guy who wrote a hack and slash fantasy series with a gay man as the primary POV. A Land Fit For Heroes trilogy.

I'd be interested with what you come back with if you do end up re-reading, but don't sweat it! It's much less of a "this is problematic regressive trash if it doesn't include weird gender poo poo" and much more of a "this seems like an ideal sci-fi pretext to do weird gender poo poo, it'd be cool if that factored in"

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Eileen Kawahara is remembered by Kovacs as saying the "Being a woman is where it is at." Something to do with nerve endings and the female orgasm. Presumably she sleeved into a male while on deployment, and gave it good road test. Saying that, wouldn't every Envoy have a fairly good chance of being force sleeved into a different gender.

I'm not sure about them saying Kovacs is The Last Envoy, considering his good friend Kawahara is a large presence in Altered Carbon.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral posted:

Eileen Kawahara is remembered by Kovacs as saying the "Being a woman is where it is at." Something to do with nerve endings and the female orgasm. Presumably she sleeved into a male while on deployment, and gave it good road test. Saying that, wouldn't every Envoy have a fairly good chance of being force sleeved into a different gender.

I'm not sure about them saying Kovacs is The Last Envoy, considering his good friend Kawahara is a large presence in Altered Carbon.

YES! That's who I was thinking of. I think it's more heavily implied, and not terribly unusual for Envoys.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, that book is a blast, though I wonder about RoboCop as the lead given the premise of the thing is people moving around between bodies. Seems weird to have one of the bodies be a known actor you're trying to sell the series with.

The IMDB lists two other (Asian) actors playing Kovacs but I'm assuming that Kinnaman is going to be playing him for the majority of the series.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jenny Angel posted:

I'd be interested with what you come back with if you do end up re-reading, but don't sweat it! It's much less of a "this is problematic regressive trash if it doesn't include weird gender poo poo" and much more of a "this seems like an ideal sci-fi pretext to do weird gender poo poo, it'd be cool if that factored in"

In the very first book they virtually sleeve a (man-identifying) character into a tiny teenage girl's body so that an interrogation is scarier.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

The IMDB lists two other (Asian) actors playing Kovacs but I'm assuming that Kinnaman is going to be playing him for the majority of the series.

The real magic is going to be if the actors have a set of agreed on mannerisms and vocal tics. Since this isn't a book, it's bound to get confusing.

Of course it could be the more dumb option of "I, Takeshi Kovacs, think this is fantastic." or "I don't agree. Also, I'm Takeshi Kovacs."

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

In the very first book they virtually sleeve a (man-identifying) character into a tiny teenage girl's body so that an interrogation is scarier.

Hahahaha that's gross as gently caress. Rules

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jenny Angel posted:

Hahahaha that's gross as gently caress. Rules

Yeah IIRC they don't actually do anything sexual, it's just so that the interrogators can loom over him/her and that he/she feels weak and vulnerable and gets body horror from the idea of their nice young person limbs getting snapped and broken and cut. Akin to how you don't want to damage a nice sports car.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 4, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah IIRC they don't actually do anything sexual, it's just so that the interrogators can loom over him/her and that he/she feels weak and vulnerable and gets body horror from the idea of their nice young person limbs getting snapped and broken and cut. Akin to how you don't want to damage a nice sports car.

Plus it's all in a virtual environment they plugged his stack into.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
It's been a while since I read Altered Carbon, but I distinctly remember them putting Kovacs into a female sleeve (or maybe in a simulated sleeve in a computer program?) during an interrogation and torturing him in a way you couldn't torture a man. It was very uncomfortable to read.

edit: vvv, I wasn't sure. I didn't remember it being a teenager, and I remember the torture being explicitly sexual

Xenix fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 5, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's exactly what these last few posts were discussing. It was a virtual sleeve, not a physical one.

The whole makeup of the society that's centered on cortical stacks and revivification is immensely interesting.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Xenix posted:

It's been a while since I read Altered Carbon, but I distinctly remember them putting Kovacs into a female sleeve (or maybe in a simulated sleeve in a computer program?) during an interrogation and torturing him in a way you couldn't torture a man. It was very uncomfortable to read.

edit: vvv, I wasn't sure. I didn't remember it being a teenager, and I remember the torture being explicitly sexual

That's definitely what they do, unless there's an edited version being sold somewhere? The Kovacs books are intentionally gross as hell at some points. It might have been virtual, but to the characters that makes very little difference.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 5, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xenix posted:

I think was sexual in terms of power-dynamics, not any overt sexual acts. It was more of big gigantic male sleeves, interrogating and physically torturing a small, weak female sleeve. Except virtual.

drat it now I have to re-read.

EDIT: OK found the section the book. Not a teen, but young 20's sleeve with no combat stim or skills. Hardcore physical torture with a definite sexual element but all revolving around (mildly nms implications)blowtorches and heated iron rods. It's about as toe-curling as I remember, and definitely a power-imbalance "enhanced interrogation" but methodical and dispassionate.

The whole book is violent and bleak and definitely got visceral reactions out of me at times (there's another scene toward the climax that made me put it down for bit). Highly recommended. I don't remember the other two books being quite as dark.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 5, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I can't wait to see the extremely r-rated scene where Kovacs fucks the same woman (kind of? maybe) in multiple sleeves at the same time

I'm just happy they even tried to adapt the thing. Looking forward to seeing where they take it.

e: when he's in the female sleeve Kovacs specifically mentions how being a woman is subtly different, like more sensitive to touch etc which comes in "handy" for the torturers.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Proteus Jones posted:

The whole book is violent and bleak and definitely got visceral reactions out of me at times (there's another scene toward the climax that made me put it down for bit). Highly recommended. I don't remember the other two books being quite as dark.

The third book has sections that are so grimdark it descends into silliness. I especially remember Kovac's OTT revenge against the church members.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Renoistic posted:

The third book has sections that are so grimdark it descends into silliness. I especially remember Kovac's OTT revenge against the church members.

I guess I never saw that one as plumbing the depths of depravity that the first does. I mean there's evil and then there's EVIL and that's what was going on in book 1. For me, book1 is far more shocking than the other 2.

That said, I really liked all 3 books. I'm hoping we get a season for each one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey it's that Vine guy! Vines are still a thing, aren't they??? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ3GlUDdrqg

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

haha that was a pretty good trailer tease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

All Vine people moved to Youtube.

I hope Universal keeps doing this for movies like Fifty Shades Freed and Fast & Furious 9.

• Locked thread