Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

So, uh, what is the cosmology of Yuki Yuna? Like the world they live in is like a tiny bubble world on the surface of a roiling sea of chaos, what gives? Did Amaterasu return and bathe reality into the sun, and is Shinjyu merely one of the gods that allowed some humans to live and give worship?

I mean, one of the thing they sorta get across the unreality of Shikoku, the place is barely populated, streets lie clean and empty, like there was a great war that scoured the population.

I think this is why I can forgive the show for peppering it with Togo's wacky nationalism. She's not very bright, she immediately tries to kill her god when she feels betrayed, and then respond with horrendous guilt over her actions. Oh, and all terrifying monsters are actually their fellow nihonjin, and come over the bridge from Honshu.

From what I know, there was an invasion of Vertex that happened ~300 years prior to the start of YukiYuna. There's a LN series that sorta details the start, but it hasn't really gotten to how that connects to the present other than the locations that are involved and that the main character of the LN is the ancestor of Nogi. From what I can gather from the wiki and other sources, as for why the world outside the barrier is a burning hellscape it's because the "Heavenly Gods" wished to exact judgement on humanity and eliminate them. The Shinju (actually a group of gods) opposed this, creating Heroes (the formal system wouldn't be developed until later) to fend off the invasion in order to protect humanity. All of the monsters are monsters and the world beyond the barrier is basically like the outside of their bubble of reality. One of the LNs set around the same time as the main series involves a push to extend the barrier to eventually try and reach Osaka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm trying a free week of Anime Strike and just binged the first three episodes of Land of the Lustrous. It's super queer and I love that. I don't love the inconsistent bitrate; Amazon, pull your poo poo together.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Land of the Lustruous is so good that the fact that it's really well done CG becomes secondary to every other way that it's good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Animegataris is super duper meta and loaded with all sorts of anime references. It's great. If you like Genshiken, you should give this a shot.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Phobophilia posted:

So, uh, what is the cosmology of Yuki Yuna? Like the world they live in is like a tiny bubble world on the surface of a roiling sea of chaos, what gives? Did Amaterasu return and bathe reality into the sun, and is Shinjyu merely one of the gods that allowed some humans to live and give worship?

I mean, one of the thing they sorta get across the unreality of Shikoku, the place is barely populated, streets lie clean and empty, like there was a great war that scoured the population.

I think this is why I can forgive the show for peppering it with Togo's wacky nationalism. She's not very bright, she immediately tries to kill her god when she feels betrayed, and then respond with horrendous guilt over her actions. Oh, and all terrifying monsters are actually their fellow nihonjin, and come over the bridge from Honshu.
Oh boy an excuse to textwall.
Yes, you got it pretty close. The gods of heaven decided "gently caress the world" and to turn everything back to fire and the gods of earth disagreed.

Unfortunately, the latter are much lower in the celestial hierarchy, so they banded together, formed the god-tree (Shinju literally means god-tree), and salvaged what they could. (There's also some rogue and/or captured heavenly gods in that tree, which actually provide a significant chunk of their power)
The god-tree is the lynchpin of what remains of reality, but they aren't strong enough to perfectly repel the heavens' invasion. Thus, they purposely funnel the Vertex -more or less the messengers of god to spread the word of "gently caress you burn already"- into a single opening where divinely-appointed and divinely-anointed girls can fight them. Coordinating the Yuusha are the Miko, who can communicate with the gods and thus are the Taisha's main source of knowledge. Tougou is special because she has the qualities of both a Miko and a Yuusha. This is why she could take the place of multiple miko in last week's ep. That's also why she had those prophetic visions during the WaSuYu arc.

The initial blessings were weak, to the point the very first Yuusha (Shiratori Utano) didn't even have a henshin app, she had to change costume by hand. She fought back the vertex invasion in Nagano for long enough for the nascent Taisha and the NoWaYus to get their poo poo together and come up with stuff like the henshin app and the (first) fairy system.

The fairies, as far as I understand, are just minor spirits. The original idea the gods/Taisha had was to have the Yuusha fuse with these fairies, but turns out that makes them mentally unstable. One of them snapped and everything went to hell. For her sin, Chikage was completely erased from history. (If you look closely at the opening's depiction of the four NoWaYu Yuusha, you might see a C-shaped shadow where a 5th member would be. Her nickname was C-Shadow, so...)

Anyways, to salvage the situation, the Taisha offered to sacrifice of a bunch of mikos to the heavens' fires (this might sound familiar) and the promise they wouldn't work on the Yuusha system any more, which is why the vertex didn't attack for 300 years or so. (This is also when the Taisha renamed itself from "Great Shrine" to "Amnesty". Same sound, different kanji) Obviously, the Taisha were lying. Unfortunately the heavens caught on to the deception, hence why they attacked again.
Since the fairies didn't work super well last time, the Taisha/gods ditched that system and came up with the Mankai system, which would take a sacrifice from the girls in exchange for power. It's implied this wasn't just to be dicks, the godtree seems to be quite limited in available power to throw around.
The WaSuYu's last stand destroyed enough Vertex that the gods has to spend 2 years rebuilding the vertex from their base component (the mookiest vertex, the Stardust).

To fix the part where the girls were getting worn down hard by the vertex, they bring back the fairies to act as barriers.
Then we come to YuYuYu, when the Mankai system's warts come to a head and the gods/Taisha realize that that system was a bad idea as well so they scrap it and come up with the current system where the girls have to share their divine energy tank between mankai and the fairy barriers.

Currently, there's a LN being published parallel with the anime (Kusunoku Mebuki is a Hero, or KuMeYu for short) about a squad of not-quite-divinely-appointed girls who are basically cannon fodder/shock troopers/scouting units for the Taisha's attempt at reclaiming some territory from the heavenfire.

Fun fact: You can see the names of the NoWaYus (minus Chikage) in the markers in the graveyard Sonoko visited and at the mouth of the great bridge.

The mobile game takes place inside the godtree, where the Yuushas are tasked with suppressing the rebelling heavenly gods that are inside the godtree (trapped, I guess?) so they don't break out because if they do the godtree will collapse from lack of divine power and take what's left of the human reality with it. Since they're inside the godtree's world, time is meaningless hence why there's yuushas from all eras.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 4, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Konohana Kitan....is good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'know? I think there was a reason I liked Yuuki Yuna more than Madoka, but I didn't realize it was because the potential WTF-potential of the backstory / world-building. :)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Kyte posted:

textwall.

good wall. yuyuyu has interesting lore and worldbuilding through all the LNs and such. i also really like this person's write-up on the names of the series.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Kyte posted:

WORLD. BUILDING!
Don't get me wrong, I'm fascinated, but it's in large part because I got precisely none of that from watching the original series. It's like reading One Piece, then finding out the Gum-Gum fruit was the black egg of the eldritch horrors that unexisted in the sea of chaos at the dawn of the universe before the coming of the Radiant Manifold.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm fascinated, but it's in large part because I got precisely none of that from watching the original series. It's like reading One Piece, then finding out the Gum-Gum fruit was the black egg of the eldritch horrors that unexisted in the sea of chaos at the dawn of the universe before the coming of the Radiant Manifold.

Man that was said in like chapter 4!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
mmm, well, I'd say it's mostly a natural extrapolation of season 1, which did just enough revealing of the world (sonoko's story time, and the scene where tougou breaks out of the barrier to find that everything around it is lost to the Vertex and their meme faces) to show how the greater conflict enables the show's themes about adolescence. most of the series is like that

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I'm trying a free week of Anime Strike and just binged the first three episodes of Land of the Lustrous. It's super queer and I love that. I don't love the inconsistent bitrate; Amazon, pull your poo poo together.

I don't have this problem so :shrug:.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the reason for togo's nationalism is that the show is super anti-nationalist and is trying to make a point about that. it's like the one remotely interesting part of the show.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Endorph posted:

the reason for togo's nationalism is that the show is super anti-nationalist and is trying to make a point about that. it's like the one remotely interesting part of the show.

How so? I haven't seen E2 of the "new" stuff yet (watching it with a friend), but I always got the opposite vibe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iospace posted:

How so? I haven't seen E2 of the "new" stuff yet (watching it with a friend), but I always got the opposite vibe.
i havent watched any of the new stuff so maybe im contradicted there but i always took the blooming thing and the one girl who was literally a bedbound cripple as an indictment of kamikaze tactics in ww2, esp. with the creepy robebound guys wandering in a circle about how she would be enshrined forever or whatever. plus the weird religious indoctrination elements of the school system

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I never saw how any of that was supposed to be a good thing, considering the story was all about how horrifying it was for the girls.

Rangpur posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm fascinated, but it's in large part because I got precisely none of that from watching the original series.
Well, none of that was in the first series, but what was plenty to understand what was going on in the setting.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 4, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

naval history of japan

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

plus the weird religious indoctrination elements of the school system

The gods they're praying to are very much real and the only reason humanity still exists, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Space Flower posted:

naval history of japan

Well, what are these basics?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The story does like to poo poo on Tougou's nationalism so anyone who thinks it's apologia for that is not paying attention.
For the most obvious example: For all her talk about national defense this national defense that, the first thing she does when she learns about the true consequences of her duty is go nuts and attempt to destroy the nation. Sonoko, Karin and Yuuna all display more patriotism (in the sense of giving their lives for their nation) than her.

Rangpur posted:

Yeah a lot of the world building came from NoWaYu. Fortunately, that one's actually translated to something above Baka-tsuki level. I don't have the link on hand, it's probably easy to find if you go to /vg/ and from there /yyy/ which is the mobile game's general. I have 4chan blocked at work.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 4, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
most of her stuff is just quick gags and refs because she's a weeaboo, but the dance sequence from washio sumi is 'what the hell did i just watch' levels.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

Well, what are these basics?
Getting out of your room, for one.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Wark Say posted:

Hard pass.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wark Say posted:

I'm outside, no friends yet. :colbert:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Well I suppose sometimes we must simply accept things that can't be changed.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mirage posted:

Hard pass.

chumbler posted:

Well I suppose sometimes we must simply accept things that can't be changed.
:cripes: Shoulda known.

gmq posted:

I'm outside, no friends yet. :colbert:
Make with the jibba-jabba, fool! :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kyte posted:

Yeah a lot of the world building came from NoWaYu. Fortunately, that one's actually translated to something above Baka-tsuki level. I don't have the link on hand, it's probably easy to find if you go to /vg/ and from there /yyy/ which is the mobile game's general. I have 4chan blocked at work.

Here's a pastebin with all of the things from /yyy/ (as for what /vg/ is and why the YukiYuna info repository is linked there instead of /a/ is largely about 4chan's board culture that I could go into if asked). It includes TL'd chapters as well as the various audio dramas

https://pastebin.com/2wvjCyrV

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
basically if 4chan /y/ is yaoi, /yyy/ is like the DisDisDis of yaoi

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

YuYuYu was probably a lot more engaging when there was the suspense of waiting a week between episodes I think. Watching all of it in a day just made it look like a 'girls suffer for vague reasons and this is a good thing that they like doing' sort of series.
e: with a total handwave ending that amounts to it all being someone else's problem, in a future sequel.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I rewatched it before the movies came out and liked it about as much. The suffering is just at the back end, a ton of it is the stuff that just focuses on them being silly club members who want to help people and Karin’s intro to the club is soothing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Space Flower posted:

basically if 4chan /y/ is yaoi, /yyy/ is like the DisDisDis of yaoi

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Speaking of yaoi...

On this week's Youkai Apartment, in order to find out that their bodies are very compatible, Inaba spent a good 5 minutes playing with his teacher's nipple and panting.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

is diamond girl a major umaru character

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Aurora posted:

is diamond girl a major umaru character

she's just now appearing in the last five episodes and her introduction was kinda bad and made me not like her much until an ep later

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Kytrarewn posted:

Speaking of yaoi...

On this week's Youkai Apartment, in order to find out that their bodies are very compatible, Inaba spent a good 5 minutes playing with his teacher's nipple and panting.

sounds like that show got weird after I dropped it

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Just wanna confirm here, teach is a guy?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

has this thread really fallen so far that nobody noticed the page number

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I know for a fact that at least one person noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I know for a fact that at least one person noticed.

yeah, me :69snypa:

• Locked thread