Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Encouraging corporations to automate ― without any help for displaced workers.

A provision of the tax bill would allow companies to deduct from their taxable income the entire cost of certain kinds of business investments that were previously only eligible for a 50 percent deduction. Traditionally, manufacturing firms and other infrastructure-heavy companies took advantage of the deduction to buy new factory equipment.

But the increase in the deduction comes at a time when corporations are investing in automation of their production facilities through the use of robots and artificial intelligence technology, noted Robert Kovacev, a corporate tax attorney for the Steptoe & Johnson law firm in Washington, D.C.

“It’s going to accelerate spending, basically, on robots that could displace workers,” Kovacev told HuffPost.

Kovacev is supportive of the deduction, because automation is likely to increase productivity ― defined as the amount of economic output generated per work-hour. And many experts maintain that, over the long run, this type of technological disruption is a net job creator.

That is likely to serve as cold comfort, however, for the mostly blue-collar workers displaced by automation in the short term. And Congress chose to speed up the automation process without any companion measures to offset the fallout for affected workers.

“It would be a good idea to pair this with a tax incentive to encourage companies either to employ more human workers or retrain them for jobs in the new economy,” Kovacev said.

Some progressive lawmakers have other ideas about how to address the harm caused by automation. For example, San Francisco County Supervisor Jane Kim has explored the idea of implementing a ”robot tax” on companies for every robot they employ to perform a job previously done by humans. The revenue raised by the tax would fund the retraining of displaced workers.

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

*takes a massive hit off ballon filled wih own farts* this is why trump won

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Relin posted:

Some progressive lawmakers have other ideas about how to address the harm caused by automation. For example, San Francisco County Supervisor Jane Kim has explored the idea of implementing a ”robot tax” on companies for every robot they employ to perform a job previously done by humans. The revenue raised by the tax would fund the retraining of displaced workers.

Thank you, Robot Tax, for retraining me from quality inspection at the Kit Kat factory to become a grill cook for five years before that's fully automated too.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Thanks to the Democrats I was able to be retrained to become a living target practice dummy at the paintball range for billionaire childrens' summer camp.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I get a .50 cent bonus every time a paintball hits my nipple, but only if I say thank you to the young sirs.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
i mean even whether you think retraining is actually a solution or not we all know they will never ever swallow their pride enough to take advantage of a government program they realize is a government program

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Magres posted:

i mean even whether you think retraining is actually a solution or not we all know they will never ever swallow their pride enough to take advantage of a government program they realize is a government program

We all know there's not gonna be a Robot Tax.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

maybe the Robot Tax is a shorthand for bands of roving out of work Luddites breaking into factories and smashing up machines, thus a cost that must be factored in

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mantis42 posted:

Don't care, I'd still vote for him.

Nelson Mandela was around the same age anyways.

Well, sure, if he gets the nomination

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
It's funny that under capitalism an increase in productivity is something workers have to fear.

Nationalize the robots.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

White Rock posted:

It's funny that under capitalism an increase in productivity is something workers have to fear.

Nationalize the robots.

Capitalism is so great that it's turned the prospect of a society where nobody has to work and robots to everything for everybody into a dystopian nightmare

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Robot Tax could easily pass if and only if it's small enough to not do anything relevant (because then it's not worth expending dollars to lobby legislators against)

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Even if it were passed, lol at the idea of American companies paying their taxes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Capitalism is so great that it's turned the prospect of a society where nobody has to work and robots to everything for everybody into a dystopian nightmare

People are gonna be talking about Elysium 8 years from now the same way we talk about Starship Troopers today.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Relin posted:

Well intentioned, but the sheer amount of workers being displaced has no where for them to go. Even if someone clicked their shoes twice and they all became brain surgeons, IT Project Managers, Automotive Engineers, etc only a fraction of them would be hired leaving us with millions of unemployed brain surgeons with no where to go. The "bulk" jobs that require "bulk" workers will not exist.

The solutions to this goes against every FYGM voter.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The only real solution is to grow the public sector and deliver government services that people actually want, because it's impossible to compel capitalists to act in the public interest even if you give them free money to do it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The only real solution is to grow the public sector and deliver government services that people actually want, because it's impossible to compel capitalists to act in the public interest even if you give them free money to do it.

Me, very centristly: "There *HAS* to be a market-based solution to this!!!"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
in a world where robots can do all menial tasks the rich will pay desperate poor ppl to do the tasks anyway as a mark of status

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Agreed, I just meant that even if somehow it did happen and were actually used to fund retraining programs, it wouldn't do a god damned bit of good. We've already tried to do retraining with coal workers and they just steadfastly refuse to take advantage of the programs because surely god emperor Trump will bring back coal any day now.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

in a world where robots can do all menial tasks the rich will pay desperate poor ppl to do the tasks anyway as a mark of status

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!

poo poo already happens to a certain extent. THere are days here at work where the bosses don't come in but make us show up and they know we won't be doing poo poo and they'll actually be losing money making us come in. But capitalism is never about money, it's about finding intricate ways to control and own people.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

loving absolutely

this has been going on for a very long time wrt individual craftsmanship vs mass-produced clothing, furniture, etc

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

zegermans posted:

poo poo already happens to a certain extent. THere are days here at work where the bosses don't come in but make us show up and they know we won't be doing poo poo and they'll actually be losing money making us come in. But capitalism is never about money, it's about finding intricate ways to control and own people.

wizard on a water slide posted:

loving absolutely

this has been going on for a very long time wrt individual craftsmanship vs mass-produced clothing, furniture, etc

uh...what's up with your AVs?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!

Burt Sexual posted:

uh...what's up with your AVs?

logik had a great new gangtag idea and wanted people to commit before seeing it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zegermans posted:

:laffo:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

It was our fault. We figured it'd be something cool.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

zegermans posted:

Seems rational, so how about that Roy Moore fella?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://www.uschamber.com/above-the-fold/the-alternative-minimum-tax-bombshell

pathetic little tramp posted:

So basically, here's what the AMT thing means as best I can understand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The way AMT works is you calculate your taxes twice, once in the AMT system, once in the normal system.

You pay whatever is greater, and that's key.

Before, you could take a shitload of tax breaks to get down to 16%, then you'd have to pay the AMT rate of 20%.

Now, they're doing away with a bunch of tax rates, so you won't be able to get down to 16% and claim the AMT 20% anymore.

So if you were wrangling a way to get your breaks down below 20 to take the AMT before, you can't now and your taxes go up.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Seems rational, so how about that Roy Moore fella?

logick literally gave them out mere hours before the Moore story ran lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Epic High Five posted:

that future was always going to be a dystopian nightmare hth

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

logick literally gave them out mere hours before the Moore story ran lol

mods knew

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Magres posted:

Agreed, I just meant that even if somehow it did happen and were actually used to fund retraining programs, it wouldn't do a god damned bit of good. We've already tried to do retraining with coal workers and they just steadfastly refuse to take advantage of the programs because surely god emperor Trump will bring back coal any day now.

I think its more that they are unwilling to retrain to something that is not guaranteed to employ them nor guaranteed to pay the same or better than what they got as a miner.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Epic High Five posted:

and kids in the middle east are terrified of blue sky

capitalism is already great

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

it's already a dystopian nightmare

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kit Walker posted:

Bernie is gonna be 79 loving years old in 2020. I...kinda doubt he's gonna run. Or win. Christ, imagine him winning and then somehow winning a second term and living it out. loving 87 year old president. Dems need new blood.

i'd give my blood for president bernie

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

To be fair, it doesn't say the plasma can't come from unwilling rich people.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

I think its more that they are unwilling to retrain to something that is not guaranteed to employ them nor guaranteed to pay the same or better than what they got as a miner.

except the people from that "nfl is niggers for life" article where a dude had like 150+ jobs available in his factories or whatever but all these miners in the area refused to retrain because they just love coal so goddamned much

like the jobs were there, they were just stubborn jackasses

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

lets not give them the benefit of the doubt because when they're presented with these opportunities in the ideal conditions they still loving turn them down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

wizard on a water slide posted:

loving absolutely

There is honestly a world of difference between mass produced furniture and hand made stuff. I'm an amateur woodworker and furniture maker and one of the reasons I've gotten into the hobby is because of how durable and beautiful properly made wooden furniture is. My wife has an antique dresser she inherited that's over a hundred years old, and it's still a functional, nice looking piece that we use every day.

Though you could totally build machines to produce all of the parts of nice furniture and to assemble them and create results that are virtually indistinguishable from what a craftsman with 30 years experience can do, we just don't bother because people want their poo poo cheap and disposable. I've seen people build contraptions to automate the most irritating parts of a lot of the joints that go into this stuff and it cuts their fabrication and assembly time down by like half or more.