Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Skwirl posted:

But how would this raise a company's tax bill? Like I get that for a bunch of companies it just wouldn't help them at all because they were paying at the AMT already, but I don't understand how it raises it (I also don't understand almost anything about taxes, if online tax forms didn't exist I'm sure I would have accidently committed tax fraud years ago and be in jail now).

It wouldn't, but it would basically a huge bill for corporate tax cuts, except big companies can't take advantage of it, so they're annoyed that someone else is getting the money instead of them.

The tax hikes are mainly going to be on poor and middle class people, largely in blue and purples states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Skwirl posted:

I haven't gotten any proper dates out of it, but reading a book alone in a bar has caused women to randomly come up and talk to me on several occasions.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ugh I don't even loving remember how to date. I met this girl nearly 3 years ago working at Barnes and Noble and before that I was at school so meeting girls was easy as hell. gently caress do I do now?

Ugh I'm just bummed.

Download tinder and bumble.

Extreme mode: create a FetLife account.

Nov 6, 2002

jesus christ these people

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/03/5676..._content=202904

What a hilariously tone deaf article.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

My beard is a bit thicker and my body is closer to fat Mac's, but basically yeah.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimmra, if you want to meet girls on easy mode, just go to a crossfit gym for like 2 months.

Nov 6, 2002

Skwirl posted:

My beard is a bit thicker and my body is closer to fat Mac's, but basically yeah.

So who's the Frank in your system?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

seiferguy posted:

Extreme mode: create a FetLife account.
lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

So who's the Frank in your system?

Most bars have a creepy old guy, so I just look around and randomly point.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
"hey handsome, that's a pretty big book you have there whatcha readin?"

*sigh* does the name John Galt ring a bell?

"No, why shou-

Imagine 4 trains on the edge of a cliff

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

Shimmra, if you want to meet girls on easy mode, just go to a crossfit gym for like 2 months.

What about a kickboxing gym? Is that any good for that? I've been toying with the idea of trying it so gently caress it might as well kill two birds with one stone.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What about a kickboxing gym? Is that any good for that? I've been toying with the idea of trying it so gently caress it might as well kill two birds with one stone.

If you're in a big enough city I guess.

but with kickboxing gyms you're kinda just stuck behind your own bag. CF gyms encourage you to actually interact with people.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol my dogs are so much better than human beings

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I recommend talking to everyone all the time. You never know when the counter girl at the dispensary wants to hang out after her shift on Thanksgiving night.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pretty much anything that is class involved is a good bet. There’s a good bit of chatting before/after classes and working together during classes. Except spin classes I guess. That’s a pretty solo workout.

Don’t expect to pick up chicks if you’re just going to a gym and working out by yourself.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

If you're in a big enough city I guess.

but with kickboxing gyms you're kinda just stuck behind your own bag. CF gyms encourage you to actually interact with people.
Yeah, the boxing gym I go to has like a 5:1 girl-to-guy ratio but everyone is mostly locked in in front of their own bag. Occasionally we'll have rounds where we partner up.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/937805820187770880

feeling sorry in advance for the other debbie gibson

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Also in my experience boxing gyms tend to attract the soccer mom crowd who want low impact fun workouts with their gals!

Something about Crossfit attracts the kind of girl you use to get over another girl.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

Also in my experience boxing gyms tend to attract the soccer mom crowd who want low impact fun workouts with their gals!
Depends on where you live. A lotta 20-something professionals at the gym I go to in Chicago, and it's high impact too.

Nov 6, 2002

Forget the girlfriend. Get a dog.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Forget the girlfriend. Get a dog.

You shouldn'tcan't gently caress a dog.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Eff chicks Shimrra just do you for a couple weeks/months and everything will fall into place

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

jesus christ these people

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/03/5676..._content=202904

What a hilariously tone deaf article.

Yeah, that article is pathetic. I make under $100k and expect to probably retire at least a decade early. I don't live in manhattan, but I'm close enough to Boston to know what poo poo costs compared to the midwest.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Blitz7x posted:

Eff chicks Shimrra just do you for a couple weeks/months and everything will fall into place
This.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Sorry to hear that Shim. Don't live in the burbs if you want to get over a girl. Just older soccer moms who are waiting out the kids getting out of high school and young moms who are still thinking their marriage will work.

Oh, I guess people who are happy.

Skwirl posted:

I haven't gotten any proper dates out of it, but reading a book alone in a bar has caused women to randomly come up and talk to me on several occasions.

Tht seems like such a cliché that actually works?

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 4, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

"hey handsome, that's a pretty big book you have there whatcha readin?"

*sigh* does the name John Galt ring a bell?

"No, why shou-

Imagine 4 trains on the edge of a cliff

I was Disney War the last two times and because I was a bit embarrassed about explaining it to people (even though it's a great book) so I've started reading Elvis Costello's memoir which is also excellent.

I'm a bartender at a restaurant so I get off around 11pm and need time to unwind before I go home and go to bed and for whatever reason I find it a lot easier to read when surrounded by noise and people.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Mods please change my name to Tsavong Lah or Nom Anor tia

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I really want to say 60% of my hookups have come from okcupid. It's astonishing what being a "woke" dude that isn't creepy will do on that site.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Blitz7x posted:

This is true. The less I care about women, the more I seem to meet, paradoxically

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

seiferguy posted:

I really want to say 60% of my hookups have come from okcupid. It's astonishing what being a "woke" dude that isn't creepy will do on that site.

Same on tinder.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

This is true. The less I care about women, the more I seem to meet, paradoxically

Try a long term relationship

They come through the walls like night of the living dead as soon as you're not allowed to touch them

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

Tht seems like such a cliché that actually works?

Haven't gotten any dates and haven't slept with anyone, but I've made out with some women and it's about fifty-fifty on any night that a girl will start talking to me. I'm working with a very small sample size here, like 6 times.

To be clear, I don't do it as a method to pick up chicks, I do it because I get off work late and I sometimes want to do something before going straight home and I've been trying to read more and somehow being alone at a bar with a book seems better than being alone at a bar playing with your cellphone.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Shimmra take a barbell home with you from the gym and sleep with it under your pillow for 8 months and you’ll be ready

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

seiferguy posted:

This.

If you look reasonably okay, can carry on a conversation, and show general interest in the person you're talking to, you will clean up. Keep in mind it's also a volume game though. During the peak of my online dating time I was sending about 10-12 messages/day on OkCupid and had about a 20% response rate. Of those that responded to my initial message I probably went on a date with about half of them, and ended up hooking up with around a third of those. So doing out the math I would have about 6 messages a week (assuming I sent 30 messages), 3 dates set up and around 1 hook-ups. A week. Honestly the hardest part was coordinating schedules for dates.

I have some friends getting into online dating now and it's hilarious/sad just how bad at it they are. I tried to give them tips on how to write a good message (show common interests, be funny but don't force it and ultimately seem normal/don't focus on books/movies/tv shows at the expense of all else) and they just refuse to listen.

edit: most people complaining about dating sites are usually failing one of the first three items. they either don't care about their appearance/have terrible photos, talk like :spergin: mixed with :geno:, are so self-centered it's a huge turn off or are full in on :females:

I guess there's also the people going for super models when they're an average joe/jane at the exclusion of everyone else but that sorta falls into the first category.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 4, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Same on tinder.

Ditto for bumble

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Try a long term relationship

They come through the walls like night of the living dead as soon as you're not allowed to touch them

I had a serious relationship from high school until 2012, and the breakup was so bad that I honestly haven't cared to pursue one since. Not that I'm opposed to it, just that grief and loss were such terrible feelings that I tend not let anyone get too close now. This really freaks out my sibs and parents, but I'd be cool with waiting until I'm 100% certain I could survive another heartbreak like that without turning into a misanthrope

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm currently talking to an Indian girl off shaadi.com (lol)

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
where did the thread title come from, it's a Seinfeld name in a Jurassic Park quote and it confuses me

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Use Dil Mil instead of shaadi.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Ditto for bumble

Bumble's amazing.

1. Bumble
2. Coffee Meets Bagel (met my gf from it)
3. OkCupid/Tinder

A giant chasm

PlentyofFish

• Locked thread