Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I really want to play a good china-centric strategy game but the closest I get to that is paradox

I want something that simulates the complexity of imperial governance of the song-yuan-ming-qing era and fighting off the northern/western nomads

the closest I came to that was EU III era china, which imo had better mechanics in many ways than EU IV china, like for example a really cool mechanic in EU 3 is that you have to colonize with colonists nomad provinces like you would the new world to annex them or else they just fall back into nomadic control after a while which is really accurate

also in eu 3 the westernization mechanics are way superior, you basically have to work your way up to the western tech group and go through a stability -5 hit for every "level" you go through. Which really simulates how painful westernization/modernization can be. Whereas not not even A.I Ming ever falls behind in institutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Crusader Kings 2 with unique chinese mechanics that just centers the map on China would be really cool instead of Jade Dragon which while fun in some ways isn't enough

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

rumor is next total war is gonna be three kingdoms

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

StashAugustine posted:

rumor is next total war is gonna be three kingdoms

idk if that's good or bad knowing creative assembly they might end up having actual dragons or poo poo in there

or something like how they butchered egypt in rome total war i.e having them being Egypt circa 1750 BC or so instead of a Greek dynasty with a Greek style army as they actually were during the time period of the game

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bro Dad posted:

A lot of chinese bathrooms have signs next to the urinals that say "one small step for man, one giant leap for civilization" to encourage you to piss closer

Also starting a pay toilet is the most attainable and entry level business opportunity around, which why you usually see a tough old peasant lady and her sons keeping an eye on the place

Don't mess with tough old peasant ladies.

Anywhere, really, but including China.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Typo posted:

I really want to play a good china-centric strategy game but the closest I get to that is paradox

I want something that simulates the complexity of imperial governance of the song-yuan-ming-qing era and fighting off the northern/western nomads

the closest I came to that was EU III era china, which imo had better mechanics in many ways than EU IV china, like for example a really cool mechanic in EU 3 is that you have to colonize with colonists nomad provinces like you would the new world to annex them or else they just fall back into nomadic control after a while which is really accurate

also in eu 3 the westernization mechanics are way superior, you basically have to work your way up to the western tech group and go through a stability -5 hit for every "level" you go through. Which really simulates how painful westernization/modernization can be. Whereas not not even A.I Ming ever falls behind in institutions.

ck2 has nomad agitation mechanic

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

this is terrible

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Typo posted:

idk if that's good or bad knowing creative assembly they might end up having actual dragons or poo poo in there

or something like how they butchered egypt in rome total war i.e having them being Egypt circa 1750 BC or so instead of a Greek dynasty with a Greek style army as they actually were during the time period of the game

I can't wait to see their dipshit take on the wooden ox

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

An East Asia total war would be right up their alley, since there's no limit to the DLC expansions for individual warring periods. The question is which period best fits the base game. A good Total War needs some factional diversity, so the Warring States period might fit best, but if it's a 3 Kingdoms setting then they'd need to include a much larger map with horselord factions, Korea, Japanese factions, Viet and Khmer, and so on.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

An East Asia total war would be right up their alley, since there's no limit to the DLC expansions for individual warring periods. The question is which period best fits the base game. A good Total War needs some factional diversity, so the Warring States period might fit best, but if it's a 3 Kingdoms setting then they'd need to include a much larger map with horselord factions, Korea, Japanese factions, Viet and Khmer, and so on.

I always wanted southern song era, you have the tangut western xia, the Jurchen Jin, the Mongols obviously, proto-indsutrialization Chinese Song dynasty, and this was an era when Korea, Tibetan warlords, Vietnam etc were all well developed when they weren't back in the warring state era. You get max unit diversity since you have mongolian cavalry, chinese infantry and even gunpowder weapons. Maybe song can industrialize or something as a win condition and as a final gently caress you you get like shogun 2 fall of samurai type rifle/artillery units to beat the crap out of the mongols.

Also people would have actually herd about Vietnam/Korea/Tibet/Mongosl etc whereas loving nobody in America would ever be able to tell the difference between the state of Chu and the state of Zhao

expanded map is ok as long as the map is centered on china and it's most important region, kinda like how in warhammer total war I the empire territories were most important regions

like seriously when I was in high school I literally had this all planned out. Mongols would be kinda like chaos in warhammer but they could also take some cities. Song would have weakest early game military but best economy and some super rifle/artillery units if they get industrialized. Jing has strong military but problems with keeping their ethnic Chinese population loyal and poo poo

Typo has issued a correction as of 07:19 on Dec 5, 2017

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I can't wait to see their dipshit take on the wooden ox

guaranteed it has rockets or some poo poo like that mounted on it and it's gonna get used in mp to snipe enemy generals

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Typo posted:

I don't know what Total War is, but anything with Three Kingdoms is good.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i really want a total world war one

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

I'm holding out for Total War: Middle East.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Typo posted:

Crusader Kings 2 with unique chinese mechanics that just centers the map on China would be really cool instead of Jade Dragon which while fun in some ways isn't enough

CK2 but set during the unification of china or period of spring and autumnn

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

i really want a total world war one
world war one doesn't fit the formations-style combat the total war franchise is suited to

but an American Civil War setting might work though, if it hasn't already been done

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
CK2 but set in hollywood in the 90s

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

rudatron posted:

world war one doesn't fit the formations-style combat the total war franchise is suited to

but an American Civil War setting might work though, if it hasn't already been done

Fall of the Samurai was really good and basically ACW only with angry japanese shouting

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Baloogan posted:

CK2 but set in hollywood in the 90s

the ck2 fallout mod is already out there

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Jose posted:

CK2 but set during the unification of china or period of spring and autumnn

yes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Spring and autumn period > qin unification > romance of the three kingdoms are close enough together to all be in the same game and i really want it now

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Jose posted:

Spring and autumn period > qin unification > romance of the three kingdoms are close enough together to all be in the same game and i really want it now

romance of three kingdoms has to be expansion, the han dynasty lasted literally centuries between the Qin and the 3 kingdoms so it would be weird to straight fast forward to it

the Shu can get zhuge liang's tactics or strategies or something as a campaign map bonus but has less territory/population and you have to rely on those bonuses to win. The wei is standard faction while the Wu is the expansionist economy/naval faction or something

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Picked up Oriental Empires on sale yesterday btw

It's a little bare but it's pretty fun. I really like the way they did the tech tree. You're constantly researching 4 different trees, Stellaris-style. Having to deal with managing farms and flooding in your cities is good too, as is the separate noble and peasant happiness.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Typo posted:

romance of three kingdoms has to be expansion, the han dynasty lasted literally centuries between the Qin and the 3 kingdoms so it would be weird to straight fast forward to it

the Shu can get zhuge liang's tactics or strategies or something as a campaign map bonus but has less territory/population and you have to rely on those bonuses to win. The wei is standard faction while the Wu is the expansionist economy/naval faction or something

i was more thinking of them as various start dates

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

It's a little bare but it's pretty fun. I really like the way they did the tech tree. You're constantly researching 4 different trees, Stellaris-style. Having to deal with managing farms and flooding in your cities is good too, as is the separate noble and peasant happiness.
Shame the combat is absolute aids and the game is so swingy in terms of research rates you find in a hut.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

the impression I get with OE is that it's wayyyyy too bare

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

HerraS posted:

Fall of the Samurai was really good and basically ACW only with angry japanese shouting

acw was more napoleon/empire imo, I don't think there were armored swordsmen charging rifle regiments in the civil war

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Taiping Rebellion or the warlord era could be easy Fall of the Samurai analogs.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Holding out for Mexican Revolution: Total War

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Typo posted:

acw was more napoleon/empire imo, I don't think there were armored swordsmen charging rifle regiments in the civil war

FoS had you moving troops by trains, steam-powered ships and gatling guns. It literally takes place during the time the acw was going on :laffo:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
japan uses Western-style fascism!

it’s scarily effective!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Shogunate forces used firearms by the way, it wasn't like The Last Samurai where Sengoku era samurai were charging line infantry.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

who cares, we solved this poo poo in civ 5

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

HerraS posted:

FoS had you moving troops by trains, steam-powered ships and gatling guns. It literally takes place during the time the acw was going on :laffo:

it's also ahistorical as hell in that half the factions modernize and the half doesn't so half the battles are fought between riflemen and literally 16th century armor wearing samurais who actually win like half the time vs modern rifles/artillery cuz total war players think last samurai is accurate depiction of late 1800s japan

in actual history both shogun and imperial forces modernized as fast as they could and the boshin war was fought between two rifle/artillery equipped armies

in reality if you try to charge rifle regiments with swords you get wiped out

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

by the 1600s there's the very real possibility that japan actually outproduced the entirety of europe in terms of the pure volume of firearms produced

pre-WWII japan loving loved guns dude

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Vermain posted:

by the 1600s there's the very real possibility that japan actually outproduced the entirety of europe in terms of the pure volume of firearms produced

pre-WWII japan loving loved guns dude

otoh guns basically completely disappeared after 1603 or so because there was universal peace in Japan enforced by the Shogunate until the 1850s

the japanese had to re-adopt them in the 19th century

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

Interesting that you thought it was a mistake to make egypt extremely cool instead of just another lame pikeman faction to defeat w/ a legion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

otoh guns basically completely disappeared after 1603 or so because there was universal peace in Japan enforced by the Shogunate until the 1850s

the japanese had to re-adopt them in the 19th century

firearms were pretty much done away with to preserve the privileges of the samurai

Typo posted:

it's also ahistorical as hell in that half the factions modernize and the half doesn't so half the battles are fought between riflemen and literally 16th century armor wearing samurais who actually win like half the time vs modern rifles/artillery cuz total war players think last samurai is accurate depiction of late 1800s japan

in actual history both shogun and imperial forces modernized as fast as they could and the boshin war was fought between two rifle/artillery equipped armies

in reality if you try to charge rifle regiments with swords you get wiped out

Shogunate forces do at least have their own line infantry in addition to the traditionalist melee units, they're just not as good.