Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The content people create is intrinsically linked to one's beliefs and politics, who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MiddleOne posted:

Hahaha oh my god I'm so sorry. I was just so astounded when the response to me posting one of your videos to the "why does not ever have concrete critiques of Sucide Squads editing" was posters coming out of the woodwork to post oddly affectionate statements about how much they despise everything about you.

Yeah, that was just weird, especially since Dan's videos are, you know, loving great.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Dude I just glaze my eyes when I see 50+ responses and my glazing picks up "Zack Snyder" and "Gamergate" and it all turns into an amorphous blob of "You like/don't like this so you must be this kind of person which goes against my political beliefs here is 5 paragraphs blah blahing about it"

So huh, Doug is doing paid sponsorship now?

Yeah man I can't believe it with how bad Doug is at looking at media

I mean why would someone listen to someone who only takes a surface view of something and makes a broad knee-jerk statement about it without looking any deeper at it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is solid. It reminds me of a movie I wish more people have seen, Beyond the Black Rainbow. It’s kind of the other side of the comfort people find in returning to 80s media from childhood, in that it’s a Scarfolk-esque recreation of weird slow, unnerving, synth-scored sci-fi from the 70s/80s that would have given you weird half-memories if you’d seen it on tv late at night when you were 11. Like Stranger Things it goes for recreating a mood over a totally complete plot, but there’s nothing comforting or reassuring about the performances or the editing. The back of the box describes the setting as “the oppressive emotional landscape of 1983,” and that’s really the perfect way to describe it. It’s so perfect at doing its job I could talk about it for hours.

There’s something so key here about tying nostalgia to childhood that a lot of discussions miss. It’s not just consumerism and the thrill of remembering like on those VH1 specials. Nostos is in greek epic the hero’s return home after war, and so nostalgia is pain caused by a return, and childhood is the most potent form of that. People don’t just flock to poo poo like Stranger Things because it’s full of things they remember, but it offers a vision of a world that’s gone forever because nobody watching or making it can have access to the feeling of being a child, which is probably part of why nostalgic media whitewash the past in ways similar to a conservative worldview: the simplicity of a child’s experience can’t really assimilate how lovely the world is and is anyway far more interested in movies, tv, sports, and socializing. Reagan had the same status as Smokey Bear or Han Solo for all eight-year-old you could understand. But now there’s a gap between who you were and who you are, and a kind of sublimity in suddenly stumbling into it and recalling all those things and events while also realizing that you can never go back or experience the world that way again. Before modernity, nostalgia was believed to be powerful enough to kill you, or cause debilitating melancholy, and I kind of get why.

Anyway, it’s a much better discussion than just the empty consumer aspect of the endless return of empty pap from childhood. The deconstructive nostalgia thread has deeper roots going to the origin of the postmodern aesthetic of pastiche—like there was a lot of 80s childrens’ entertainment that pulled some version of the They Live move of making the pop-culture 50s look like sinister, oppressive poo poo by recreating it or recontextualizing archival footage. Pee-Wee’s Playhouse is the best example I can think of at the moment. That all seems like satire of the very idea that retreat into the past is possible or meaningful, like it’s hostile to the very idea of nostalgia.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Actually, I take it all back, everyone on Something Awful is terrible.

Good lord.

Edit: poo poo, Beyond the Black Rainbow, now that was an interesting movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Edit: poo poo, Beyond the Black Rainbow, now that was an interesting movie.

It’s like if Stranger Things were made by someone who watched too much Carpenter and Argento at 12 instead of too much Spielberg.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And speaking of nostalgia, Allison brings Brad in to take us back to a simpler time when you could just have a mystery thriller with a ton of full frontal and a dick double for Bruce Willis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArsJemAfDC4&feature=share

I think they get it exactly right by saying all the lunatic poo poo and over-the-top stylishness would seem natural if it were in Italian and badly dubbed into English. It’s a very 90s kind of movies. I really miss erotic thrillers.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

business hammocks posted:

It’s like if Stranger Things were made by someone who watched too much Carpenter and Argento at 12 instead of too much Spielberg.

Is there ever really too much Carpenter?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I Before E posted:

Is there ever really too much Carpenter?

When you’re down to Ghosts of Mars and Memoirs of an Invisible Man? I guess maybe those were the years his kids were in college.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I just hope Lupa/Movie Nights is aware of this work of art: https://twitter.com/charmedoutfits

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

I just hope Lupa/Movie Nights is aware of this work of art: https://twitter.com/charmedoutfits

She's definitely aware

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

And speaking of nostalgia, Allison brings Brad in to take us back to a simpler time when you could just have a mystery thriller with a ton of full frontal and a dick double for Bruce Willis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArsJemAfDC4&feature=share

I think they get it exactly right by saying all the lunatic poo poo and over-the-top stylishness would seem natural if it were in Italian and badly dubbed into English. It’s a very 90s kind of movies. I really miss erotic thrillers.

I should get into Giallo. Any good suggestions?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I grew up in Israel, and the nostalgia for the '80s/'90s is quite a bit different, both for me personally and for I assume quite a few other Israelis. There's this genre of "Israeli Rock" from that period I couldn't stand as a kid, but now it fills me with a certain amount of warmth and regret.

I'd have to ask around and see if there's any real nostalgia-fueled media over there now, I have been away for more than 7 years now, so I don't really get exposed to what's going on now as much.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Leal posted:

You guys are making political debates about people who like or dislike a movie director

Jesus christ. Not everything is a murder board with a bunch of pictures and topics with strings linking everything in this big web of political conspiracies.

All public art is inherently political.

Lemme break that down. Art is anything created to generate a particular emotional effect, whatever the artist’s purpose in generating that effect might be. Public art is designed to generate a particular emotional effect in as many people as possible. Politics, meanwhile, is the structure and organisation of society. Any time a group of people make a collective decision (or have a decision made for them), it is by definition a political one. Our emotions affect our beliefs and actions. Therefore, the emotions that public art generates and the tools it uses to generate those emotions are inherently political.

This is why politics keeps creeping into this thread - because it’s about criticism of art, delving into the nuts and bolts of how something works, what it’s trying to do, whether it’s effective, and why. Sooner or later, that’ll bring you back to the people behind it and the people who consume it - in other words, its political origins and impact. Art is not simply an object. Art is an artificial object designed to affect people. People are social animals who are affected by and affect each other. The study of this is called politics. If you argue against politicising art, you’re arguing against criticism itself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Wheel of The Worst continues!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1sxc3V0lzQ

They watch the Surviving Edged Weapons video, it's amazing

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I have found a new weird channel where a guy reviews the scenarios he makes for massive ant farms https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCONd1SNf3_QqjzjCVsURNuA

It's weird seeing someone do the things I always dreamed of as a kid, making giant ant farms and having different species fight in wars for my amusement. Unfortunately the ant farms I got were pretty lovely.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is why I both love and hate small cars. I love the handling, the fuel efficiency, and the overall look of them.

But I'm also like 6'3" and wear big ol' steel toed boots, plus not exactly the thinnest guy in the world, so sitting in one tends to be a painful experience where my head pokes through the sunroof.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Can someone clarify "my identity is what I consume"? Because like, while I agree many people take it to unhealthy levels such that critique of a work is a critique of them, I also don't think it's necessarily wrong? Like there are a few films and shows that are really personal to me and probably influenced my outlook on things more than I care to admit. While I've of course questioned those outlooks, and recognize the flaws in those works, they're still part of my identity in a way that when I have a partner or very close friend I want to show them those because even if they hate the work, it feels like showing them part of me and who I am. I'm not sure how distinct that is from people who are really into a brand or series or whatever, but I feel like some degrees of having works as part of you is understandable.

You could just do what I do and consider everything that you must be bad. You can avoid a lot of conflict that way! :thumbsup:

I grew up playing adventure games (which I suppose is sort of obvious), but as an adult, I've seen a lot of people drag the genre (rightfully so) because the games were full frustrating design flaws and nonsensical puzzles designed for purpose of padding the game or as a way to sell hintbooks. I acknowledge all of that stuff, and I think a lot of it is valid, but I still really love the genre.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Wheel of The Worst continues!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1sxc3V0lzQ

They watch the Surviving Edged Weapons video, it's amazing

Jesus Christ :stare:

That video is amazing to watch just on it's base level, but Mike's 100% right. It's poo poo like that that's responsible for cops just blowing away anyone who twitches in front of them because it's pure paranoia fuel.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That video is amazing to watch just on it's base level, but Mike's 100% right. It's poo poo like that that's responsible for cops just blowing away anyone who twitches in front of them because it's pure paranoia fuel.

They didn't highlight it in the episode but the bit at the end where one of the cops who's been being interviewed the whole video starts just ranting about how He Ain't Gonna Die In No Ghetto. There's No Way I'm Letting Those Animals Out There Kill Me and it's just like ah fuckin hell cops.mp4

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know it not everyone’s cup of tea, but Cracked just let most of its staff go, including their video people. David Wong says they’re not shutting down, but moving to a 100% freelance model is not exactly great for stability.

I didn’t care for the narrow focus on “here’s a logical consequence of a small detail from an action or kids’ movie” they did a lot of the time, but their video people had smart stuff to say when speaking off-the-cuff. There was a roundtable weekly film show they did on Youtube that was great because it was three people and two of them had pretty similar tastes, but the other person came with takes that just seemed like they were from the moon and like half the show was an incredulous Cody Johnston/Soren Bowie tag team interrogating a confused Maggie May Fish about how Muppet Treasure Island could be more charming than Ghostbusters.

I’ll miss them.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I guess that explains the sudden response of "Oh yeah, Cracked had some hosed up employment ordeals, had they" I've seen floating around.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It didn’t sound like a great place to work, just from the small moments of honesty to come out of the people working there. I think the editor who did all the firing was the guy who wrote an essay about how Glengarry Glen Ross was a motivational film and anyone who didn’t like Alec Baldwin in the film is a goldbricker who blames others for his own problems.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It was written on the wall once every fifth list was a bad advertisment for their store.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It didn’t sound like a great place to work, just from the small moments of honesty to come out of the people working there. I think the editor who did all the firing was the guy who wrote an essay about how Glengarry Glen Ross was a motivational film and anyone who didn’t like Alec Baldwin in the film is a goldbricker who blames others for his own problems.

Given he and Gladstone had an argument this weekend with a DSA account campaigning for more off time at work that ended with the latter going on how by insulting them "the left wasn't doing a favor", that is somewhat feasible.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Didn't they unironically champion bitcoin? Like at that point it should be impossible to get stupider.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Well, I'd sure like a bitcoin right now...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

Well, I'd sure like a bitcoin right now...

Even The Big Bang Theory had a bitcoin episode.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Didn't they unironically champion bitcoin? Like at that point it should be impossible to get stupider.

Lemme introduce you to this thing called 2017...

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

KayTee posted:

Lemme introduce you to this thing called 2017...

Yeah, the year where a bunch of exchanges are still outing themselves as corrupt, it's still impossible to get proper conversions, and 'mysterious technical failures' last week were the only thing standing in the way of the price plummeting to near zero like the last time.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Well obviously it's a massive bubble that's not going to last and is probably in danger of popping any minute now but still, if I had a single bitcoin that I could exchange for actual money then it'd be a pretty drat good Christmas.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, the year where a bunch of exchanges are still outing themselves as corrupt, it's still impossible to get proper conversions, and 'mysterious technical failures' last week were the only thing standing in the way of the price plummeting to near zero like the last time.

I was mostly gunning for 'can't get stupider' line with the idea that 2017 seems to have thrown a portable hole down the Stupid Barrell. TBF you can point to pretty much any year in Bitcoin's existence and say "Well some goddamn stupid poo poo happened this year, huh?" :)

Although this remains a personal fave:

e: To confirm - this was created in earnest.

VV ee: No probs. Internet. VV

KayTee fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 5, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, okay, it sounded like you were saying that in 2017 Bitcoin is now a viable investment choice or something. Nevermind then, carry on. :)

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Literally all of bitcoin is people thinking they can cash in on the bitcoin bubble. Well, except for the substantial group that just use them to buy drugs and stuff.

The second best thing was that the coins are (used to be?) basically gone forever if you deleted or lost the wallet file. The first best thing was the early trading sites were meant to be completely anonymous, so you could sell 'lsd' you don't have for bitcoins and then never send anything and then laugh and delete the bitcoins.

And then occasionally google how much those bitcoins would be worth today and feel very silly

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Let us not forget that it is also the official currency of Kekistan, so I guess you can use them to buy memes. Or is that Dogecoin?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Literally all of bitcoin is people thinking they can cash in on the bitcoin bubble. Well, except for the substantial group that just use them to buy drugs and stuff.

The second best thing was that the coins are (used to be?) basically gone forever if you deleted or lost the wallet file. The first best thing was the early trading sites were meant to be completely anonymous, so you could sell 'lsd' you don't have for bitcoins and then never send anything and then laugh and delete the bitcoins.

And then occasionally google how much those bitcoins would be worth today and feel very silly

And then google how easy it currently is to cash out, and feel very smug.

A good part of the current bubble is because you can’t actually withdraw that poo poo, and the pretend money they’re using as IOUs until the banks start accepting Bitcoin again (which will never happen) is serving a double-purpose as another speculatory good that keeps the price of Bitcoin afloat through arbitration and blatantly corrup self-dealing.

It’s the most utterly deranged Ponzi scheme in recent history - or, at least, it will be in the thirty seconds before another one of these clowns has an even more insane idea.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah Surviving Edged Weapons is incredible to watch, but also it's powerfully revealing about the mentality of police training. It really hasn't changed.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
in semi-related news this happened

quote:

Google will dedicate more than 10,000 staff to rooting out violent extremist content on YouTube in 2018, the video sharing website's chief has said.

[...]

[Susan Wojcicki, Youtube Chief] said the website, owned by Google, had used "computer-learning" technology that could find extremist videos.

More than 150,000 of these videos have been removed since June, she said.

In March, the UK government suspended its adverts from YouTube, following concerns they were appearing next to inappropriate content.

And in a speech at the United Nations general assembly in September, UK Prime Minister Theresa May challenged tech firms to take down terrorist material in two hours.

The prime minister has repeatedly called for an end to the "safe spaces" she says terrorists enjoy online.

Sounds good? Actual people looking at horrid content? It's what we'd prefer, right?

Wait for the punchline tho:

quote:

Ms Wojcicki said that staff had reviewed nearly two million videos for violent extremist content since June.

This is helping to train the company's machine learning technology to identify similar videos, which is enabling staff to remove nearly five times as many videos as they were previously, she said.

She said the company was taking "aggressive action" on comments, using technology to help staff find and shut down hundreds of accounts and hundreds of thousands of comments.

[...]

And, in June, YouTube announced four new steps it was taking to combat extremist content:

Improving its use of machine learning to remove controversial videos
Working with 15 new expert groups, including the Anti-Defamation League, the No Hate Speech Movement, and the Institute for Strategic Dialogue.
Tougher treatment for videos that are not illegal but have been flagged by users as potential violations of its policies on hate speech and violent extremism
Redirecting people who search for certain keywords towards a playlist of curated YouTube videos that directly confront and debunk violent extremist messages

Calum Chace, author of Surviving AI and The Economic Singularity, said that machine learning is developing fast.

"People are often unduly cynical about the prospects for AI because they judge it by what is possible today," he said.

"They forget that our machines are on an exponential growth curve: they get twice as powerful every 18 months or so. This means that we are just at the beginning of their story.

So people are being brought in temporarily in order to give the Censorship AI a refresher course. Presumably before stepping aside and letting the AI carry on doing the work for them.

Is my reading right? I'm not the most clued up on this stuff.

Actual people being involved sounds like a great solution, but those people need to be paid - and, as said previously, Youtube is a money furnace. Also real people can't possibly be able to keep up with the volume of content being added - especially with the previously discussed Creepy Kids Videos.

Are there better ideas for a fix out there? Because I can barely understand the scale of the problem!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

basically silicon valley is drunk on the Power of Algorithms and it's gonna be what causes the next financial collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

KayTee posted:

in semi-related news this happened

Sounds good? Actual people looking at horrid content? It's what we'd prefer, right?

Wait for the punchline tho:

So people are being brought in temporarily in order to give the Censorship AI a refresher course. Presumably before stepping aside and letting the AI carry on doing the work for them.

Is my reading right? I'm not the most clued up on this stuff.

Actual people being involved sounds like a great solution, but those people need to be paid - and, as said previously, Youtube is a money furnace. Also real people can't possibly be able to keep up with the volume of content being added - especially with the previously discussed Creepy Kids Videos.

Are there better ideas for a fix out there? Because I can barely understand the scale of the problem!

They would have to pay an absolutely monumental number of people to actually have only humans working on it. There are apparently about 300 hours of video uploaded to youtube each minute which works out to 18,000 hours of video per hour. So just to keep up with new content you need 18,000 people. Then you need to deal with the several billion videos currently online, including false reports and videos that are never reported because nobody watches them. If they were to pay 100,000 people to deal with those each person would have to watch 10,000 videos assuming there are only one billion videos (there's way more). Let's say the average video is 10 minutes long, you can watch 6 per hour, which means it would take 41 workweeks at minimum. And that's paying one hundred thousand people to do something so unprofitable that it would probably be a better use of money to literally run the heating for every Google building by just burning stacks of dollar bills. From their point of view they pay some people for a few months to train an AI and maybe a few slip through the cracks or some okay videos are accidentally caught up and oh well that's unfortunate but *shrug*

• Locked thread