Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

I like that you can see damage to the rear wheel wells from how often she's done this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Imagined posted:

I like that you can see damage to the rear wheel wells from how often she's done this.

Is that 3 police cars to write a ticket?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They're probably doing the "This has to be illegal but gently caress if I know offhand what law it breaks, come help me dig through the ordinance book to find something" dance. Also, the Police SUV is a supervisor.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Small town. "Holy gently caress, you guys got to see this."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

They're probably doing the "This has to be illegal but gently caress if I know offhand what law it breaks, come help me dig through the ordinance book to find something" dance. Also, the Police SUV is a supervisor.

That reminds me of a case some years ago.

This thing is a ride in a theme park. It slowly rises up into the air while the top part does a full rotation. It goes up 45 meters and it gives you a good view of all sides of the park.

One day, some dude decided to base jump from the ride without permission, even though 45 m is way too close to ground to safely open a parachute. Well, he managed to land relatively safety with a partially opened chute. Park security arrested him... and then they didn't really know what to do, because nowhere in the park regulations did it say that it's illegal to jump out of attractions.

In the end they just fined him for damage to park property, because he hit a tree on the way down and a big branch broke off.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Low bridge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBOLpUYtMVE

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This made me think of you guys...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/watch-in-most-lions-move-ever-planned-silverdome-implosion-somehow-fails-to-work/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

His lovely reaction made a bad situation into a disaster. I don't think it needed to roll over.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Presumably not running. Presumably.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Konami Code? Do you get 30 extra lives if you drive over it just right?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Pretty sure I solved this puzzle in Bioshock.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Konami Code? Do you get 30 extra lives if you drive over it just right?

Take, not get.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

quote:

Best guess for this image: Québec

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I don't see a great big arret sign.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I had a quick look on youtube to see if I could find the video version in case you could hear someone's accent or something and the search terms 'construction worker fall water' didn't bring up that specific video but what it did turn up was a whole parade of fuckin' horrors so I stopped looking.

...and you didn't post any to the thread?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...and you didn't post any to the thread?

Had to scroll down quite a way to find one that was funny instead of fatal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW8goQVdpDs

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Imagined posted:

His lovely reaction made a bad situation into a disaster. I don't think it needed to roll over.

Dunno that that tractor has a seatbelt or if anyone could be assed to use it. Probably got thrown all around the cab the way the tractor bounced.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

Ranzear posted:

Dunno that that tractor has a seatbelt or if anyone could be assed to use it. Probably got thrown all around the cab the way the tractor bounced.

i can't find information about this. But this is in Holland and on a public road so I can only assume it is mandatory to wear a seatbelt. His head pops out of the cab in the end of the video he's fine.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
It's mandatory in a lot of places.

I had someone just a couple days ago try the bullshit "It's safer to get thrown from the car than be strapped in when it's on fire after a crash" argument.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Looks like the job got finished.
I just heard a rumble. Heard the blast on Sunday as well, the Silverdome is 10.6 miles from my house.

Then I go to google to see this.

E: found video
https://twitter.com/wxyzalicia/status/937791945769996290

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 4, 2017

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Moto42 posted:

I had someone just a couple days ago try the bullshit "It's safer to get thrown from the car than be strapped in when it's on fire after a crash" argument.

The chances of your car catching fire after an MVA are astronomically low. Anyone who tries to use that as an excuse is a disingenuous rear end in a top hat.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
what if the other vehicle is a gas tanker

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what if the other vehicle is a gas tanker

Sure. But that's a very specific instance. Probably on the low side of "vehicles involved in auto accidents" statistic. Especially considering that there's a crash every, what? 15 seconds or something dumb like that?

Also, I've seen a few accidents with gas tanker trucks with no fire. Reality isn't a Michael Bay film. Funny enough, if you see a gas tanker on fire, for some reason, it's usually the only vehicle involved.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I know a guy who crashed a propane truck. It went off the road and rolled onto it's side and didn't blow up or light on fire. The driver that crossed centerline and hit him head on died though. Really the biggest worry would be that you are crashing into a fully loaded semi-truck.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Zipperelli. posted:

The chances of your car catching fire after an MVA are astronomically low. Anyone who tries to use that as an excuse is a disingenuous rear end in a top hat.

On the other side of the story about not wearing seat belts, I had a buddy in highschool get tossed from his flipping and rolling vehicle while not wearing a seat belt and then get promptly steamrolled as his truck landed on him.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

Even worse is the "seatbelts create a false sense of security that encourages drivers to make more rash decisions than they normally would because they are 'safe'; there would be less accidents in general if seatbelts weren't mandatory " argument.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 5, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There's also the classic case of Derek Kieper, the anti-seatbelt campaigner who died when he was ejected from a rolling SUV. The two other occupants were wearing seatbelts and survived with non-life-threatening injuries.
https://www.snopes.com/autos/accident/seatbelt.asp

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Bareheaded motorcyclist dies in helmet protest

quote:

A bareheaded motorcyclist participating in a ride to protest mandatory helmet laws was killed when he was thrown over the handlebars in Onondaga, New York.

State police say evidence at the scene plus information from the attending medical expert indicated Contos would have survived had he been wearing a helmet as required by state law.

Wear your helmets, kids.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Also, people are just dumb.

E: vvvvv Fair.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hremsfeld posted:

Also, people are just dumb.

People who drive SUVs aren't people :colbert:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Moto42 posted:

It's mandatory in a lot of places.

Every once in awhile I take this position and make it seem like I'm really serious and believe it, and I've gotten some friends to the point that they were yelling at me. For some reason it's easy to convince people you believe in that and flat earth, and they eventually get furious.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 5, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i guess the joke is on them since you are just pretending

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

GotLag posted:

There's also the classic case of Derek Kieper, the anti-seatbelt campaigner who died when he was ejected from a rolling SUV. The two other occupants were wearing seatbelts and survived with non-life-threatening injuries.
https://www.snopes.com/autos/accident/seatbelt.asp

They both died doing what they loved: being irredeemable idiots.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Trabant posted:

They both died doing what they loved: being irredeemable idiots.

Oh I forgot one!

Barrister killed in quad bike accident fought mandatory roll-over bars for Honda

quote:

A prominent lawyer killed in a quad bike accident was at the centre of a legal battle by motorcycle company Honda to fight the introduction of mandatory roll-over bars.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

In his defense roll bars on quads are an utterly moronic idea. Quads are like motorcycles, you throw your weight around to get them to do what you want when you're riding them aggressively. Strapping the rider to the bike doesn't work, and a roll cage without seat belts is of no use at all.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wolrah posted:

In his defense roll bars on quads are an utterly moronic idea. Quads are like motorcycles, you throw your weight around to get them to do what you want when you're riding them aggressively. Strapping the rider to the bike doesn't work, and a roll cage without seat belts is of no use at all.

No roll-bars, roll-over bars. Just like a single upright at the back of the quadbike that means if it rolls, it forms a triangle with the ground as opposed to pancaking the rider.

Like the pictures in the article I linked indicate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Even worse is the "seatbelts create a false sense of security that encourages drivers to make more rash decisions than they normally would because they are 'safe'; there would be less accidents in general if seatbelts weren't mandatory " argument.

That one's actually partly borne out by the statistics. People do engage in riskier behavior when they feel that there's some other factor helping to avert that risk. For instance, it's been demonstrated that drivers will pass cyclists at a closer range and higher speed when the rider is wearing a helmet than when they aren't. As another example, the drivers of cars equipped with anti-lock brakes will generally follow other cars more closely than drivers of cars that are not so-equipped. There's even some research proposing a human tendency towards "risk homeostasis;" that is, people will naturally adjust their behavior to maintain a specific internally-assessed level of risk, behaving more cautiously when they think things are dangerous and more recklessly when they think they're safe. There is some indication that seatbelts and airbags do actually trigger this sort of behavior. I've even noticed it about myself -- when I am motorcycling, I usually wear heavy armored leather on every part of my body. Sometimes, though, when I'm just going around the block, I don't bother with the pants and just wear my jeans. This is stupid, and I know it, and I definitely ride more slowly and cautiously because my kneecaps feel extremely exposed.

However, the point at which the whole thing falls apart is the last part of what you quoted. While people who wear seatbelts do, on the whole, drive slightly less cautiously than those who don't, seatbelts are such a powerful safety device that the safety benefits outstrip the effect on behavior by orders of magnitude. So in the end, the equation comes out in favor of the safety devices every time.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 5, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Memento posted:

No roll-bars, roll-over bars. Just like a single upright at the back of the quadbike that means if it rolls, it forms a triangle with the ground as opposed to pancaking the rider.

Like the pictures in the article I linked indicate.

Round here they're called sissy bars. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

That one's actually partly borne out by the statistics. People do engage in riskier behavior when they feel that there's some other factor helping to avert that risk. For instance, it's been demonstrated that drivers will pass cyclists at a closer range and higher speed when the rider is wearing a helmet than when they aren't. As another example, the drivers of cars equipped with anti-lock brakes will generally follow other cars more closely than drivers of cars that are not so-equipped. There's even some research proposing a human tendency towards "risk homeostasis;" that is, people will naturally adjust their behavior to maintain a specific internally-assessed level of risk, behaving more cautiously when they think things are dangerous and more recklessly when they think they're safe. There is some indication that seatbelts and airbags do actually trigger this sort of behavior. I've even noticed it about myself -- when I am motorcycling, I usually wear heavy armored leather on every part of my body. Sometimes, though, when I'm just going around the block, I don't bother with the pants and just wear my jeans. This is stupid, and I know it, and I definitely ride more slowly and cautiously because my kneecaps feel extremely exposed.

However, the point at which the whole thing falls apart is the last part of what you quoted. While people who wear seatbelts do, on the whole, drive slightly less cautiously than those who don't, seatbelts are such a powerful safety device that the safety benefits outstrip the effect on behavior by orders of magnitude. So in the end, the equation comes out in favor of the safety devices every time.

See also reduced reaction time when autonomous braking is active.

Also there are statistics saying that 50+ percent of reported crashes occur five miles or less from home and something like 75+ percent occur within 15 miles. Another thing to factor in when "just going around the corner".