Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Did Donny revert the land to state use? I've read that some of these states hate that because they don't have the resources to manage millions of additional acres in sparsely populated zones. Like Wyoming can't take care of all it's land, it just doesn't have the resources.

Why do I feel like the free market is going to step in and offer to manage some of this new land.

Outdoorsy dog does not like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Bears already have small ears so they would just look silly if Trump makes them smaller.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

lol@manafort getting himself hosed because he couldn't wait a loving week to ghostwrite an article about how he was totally innocent and couldn't do it with someone who wasn't in loving russian intelligence and currently in russia

manafort thinks he is very clever yet doesn't think he's under surveillance 24/7 lol

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Patagonia is extremely active and adamant about protecting wildlife and protected lands. They make great gear to but their principals are rare and the main reason why I'm a loyal customer for outdoor gear.

I also did not know this. I don't really go climbing or camping or backpacking or anything but I'll make sure and buy their stuff if/when I need it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Did Donny revert the land to state use? I've read that some of these states hate that because they don't have the resources to manage millions of additional acres in sparsely populated zones. Like Wyoming can't take care of all it's land, it just doesn't have the resources.

Why do I feel like the free market is going to step in and offer to manage some of this new land.

Outdoorsy dog does not like.

the utah government has been agitating for a long time for the federal government to give over some of its land to state control, so that the state can open it up to oil and gas development

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

the utah government has been agitating for a long time for the federal government to give over some of its land to state control, so that the state can open it up to oil and gas development

Which is insane, because by the time that stuff gets up and running we could be at a point where solar is so clearly superior gas/oil can't compete.

Our descendants are going to look at things like this and cry.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/937829351541927936

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

what's CR?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:getin:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Continuing resolution to avoid a shutdown.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

cock ramming

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh god yes, let the High Fructose Corn Syrup Caucus gently caress it all up again.

:bisonyes:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

axeil posted:

Which is insane, because by the time that stuff gets up and running we could be at a point where solar is so clearly superior gas/oil can't compete.

First they get rid of the subsidies for renewables, then they impose absurd restrictions to kill them. My bet would be something like "do you KNOW just many of solar panels in this country were made by the Chinese!? *scare chord* I call on my fellow congressmen to vote yes on my 'American Solar Solidarity Act' to help kill Chinese panel dumping and just ignore all the other restrictions in it"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

:heysexy:

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
Nor sure if this has been posted but whats the thoughts on this?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ecks/901017001/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m not sure if that really means much

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wait, the Freedom Caucus actually wants a more functional CR or they're pissing on the carpet because the other Republicans are trying to be slightly more responsible and sort of fund the government?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

axeil posted:

Nevada is about as excited for solar as Utah is for oil and gas (which is fuckin’ stupid, but that’s Utah for you) but even solar developments run into a host of complications with protected land in these states where the federal government owns so much of the property.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Allah akbar.

Gyges posted:

Wait, the Freedom Caucus actually wants a more functional CR or they're pissing on the carpet because the other Republicans are trying to be slightly more responsible and sort of fund the government?

I'm pretty sure you know the answer in your heart.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

skylined! posted:

ya, that patagonia - not the region of south america

you'd think they have a monetary dog in this fight since i'd imagine a lot of their consumers use their products in national parks, but still

While it's true that they have a monetary interest, the company was founded by true believer outdoorsman and has genuinely good outdoor ethics AFAIK (I'm not a Patagonia historian or anything).

Founder: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvon_Chouinard

See also:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonia_(clothing)

Patagonia doesn't act like they love the outdoors and the environment because it's good for business. Rather, love of the outdoors and environment is a founding principle of the company. This is true of several outdoor gear companies.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Or so they can drive their OHV's all over it, graze cattle, and generally poo poo things up.

Sometimes (more often as of late) I see something on the news and think "there's no way anyone could be dumb enough to stick their dick in that hornets' nest." But then I see that certain idiots in Congress want to shut down the government right before Christmas, and right before election season starts up and realize that yes, there is always a way.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

axeil posted:

He wants to mine the Grand Canyon for uranium too. Someone should tell these assholes to look at the price of coal, uranium, and natural gas before they start ripping through national monuments.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

wtf https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/937831910503604225

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Gyges posted:

or they don't want the bill to go to conference for.... reasons? government shutdown fetishists?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Gyges posted:

I think they want to neuter the Dems' leverage to fix DACA by pushing the CR out past when Trump starts deporting people.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
It's going to be cool and good when every 4-8 years Democrats are going to have to re-protect lands and then Rs will just tear them down on the next go round

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/mepfuller/status/937833139799552005

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

While it's true that they have a monetary interest, the company was founded by true believer outdoorsman and has genuinely good outdoor ethics AFAIK (I'm not a Patagonia historian or anything).

Founder: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvon_Chouinard

See also:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonia_(clothing)

Patagonia doesn't act like they love the outdoors and the environment because it's good for business. Rather, love of the outdoors and environment is a founding principle of the company. This is true of several outdoor gear companies.

ya this is great stuff and little nuggets in this thread make it real good and cool

i'm a cynic any time interests in business come up because capitalism is dishonest :shrug:

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I can't figure this out. Are they trying to get guarantees for provisions they want in the final bill?

Kreeblah posted:

I think they want to neuter the Dems' leverage to fix DACA by pushing the CR out past when Trump starts deporting people.

This isn't enough for them to put themselves out on a limb.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Kerning Chameleon posted:

First they get rid of the subsidies for renewables, then they impose absurd restrictions to kill them. My bet would be something like "do you KNOW just many of solar panels in this country were made by the Chinese!? *scare chord* I call on my fellow congressmen to vote yes on my 'American Solar Solidarity Act' to help kill Chinese panel dumping and just ignore all the other restrictions in it"

Literally saw these billboards driving through Oklahoma last year. "Do you know who you are paying for your wind farm? China!"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Aves Maria! posted:

It's going to be cool and good when every 4-8 years Democrats are going to have to re-protect lands and then Rs will just tear them down on the next go round

i for one look forward to the Cooling Stacks Gift Shop adjacent to the Navajo Historical Gas Refinery

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kreeblah posted:

Oh Christ that’s not good.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Aves Maria! posted:

If the threat of re-protecting the land makes the land worthless to private industry (because they'll invest millions in setting up their extraction infrastructure, only to have to tear it all down and vacate) then the land becomes worthless to private industry and Republicans will stop trying to sell it to their donors / friends.

As an outdoorsman myself, I'll vote for any D who wants to come at restoring these lands in as confiscatory a way as possible.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So if they don't let the bill go to conference, what's that mean? Does that mean it's dead, or can they vote to send the same bill to conference later?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

If the threat of re-protecting the land makes the land worthless to private industry (because they'll invest millions in setting up their extraction infrastructure, only to have to tear it all down and vacate) then the land becomes worthless to private industry and Republicans will stop trying to sell it to their donors / friends.

As an outdoorsman myself, I'll vote for any D who wants to come at restoring these lands in as confiscatory a way as possible.

idk if logic would ever be enough to stop Republicans from doing something that is dumb

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Who's McCarthy, by the way? Prominent Moderate or something? Surely not a democrat if the HFC's giving him the time of day...

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Who's McCarthy, by the way? Prominent Moderate or something? Surely not a democrat if the HFC's giving him the time of day...

House majority leader

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Majority Leader of the House.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

hes the house rep that said he thinks putin pays trump on a hot mic

https://twitter.com/adamgoldmanNYT/status/937833713349681152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/937834724239781888

• Locked thread