Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I heard they were originally going to go with the RE 7 style for the RE 2 Remake, but they couldn't find any human actor creepy enough to accurately portray Chief Irons using their facial scanning technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
If that was the problem they could have just copied Cardoza from Dishonored; Death of the Outsider.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In a twist, RE2 will actually be done in unannounced RE8 style, which is itself a radical departure from all the others and is an RPG like Sweet Home.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I feel like people are going to be upset no matter what style they go for. I'm not sure what style I even want other than "not RE4".

I think if the game came out similar to the REmake, the only people who'd be dissapointed are people that never liked RE in the first place, i.e. people that probably never would've bought the game in the first place.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd prefer RE4 or 7 style. I loved RE2 but I'd prefer to have something other than the original control style. I'd love to somehow see multiple methods available though, that'd be the best even if it's totally unfeasible.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Capcom almost made Resident Evil amiibo for the Revelations Switch ports... of HUNK and Lady HUNK.

I would have actually re-bought Revelations on Switch if I could have got a HUNK amiibo and used it to unlock him early. gently caress Rev 1 Raid Mode for making him an end-game unlock.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I am shocked, shocked I say! That the very evil looking lady who had to show her whole entire leg in a wetsuit turned out to actually be one of the bad guys.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, and don't forget Evil Conan O'brien too.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
As someone who has never played Resident Evil 1 whats the best way to experience it? Should I play the original or the remake?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Lucinice posted:

As someone who has never played Resident Evil 1 whats the best way to experience it? Should I play the original or the remake?

Remake all the way, on like PC or PS4 or whatever, playing as Jill. If you want a good laugh or to see what got changed, go back to the original at some point, of which there are several versions to choose from. The original Resident Evil has been remixed a fair number of times, which is nice when you're doing a repeat playthrough.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The only true way to play RE1 is the Dualshock version on the PS1. Any other version is simply a waste of time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

And with that Revelations is done (or, "done"). I'm a bit undecided on if I want to just get straight into Rev 2 or do stuff like at least finish raid mode once, or NG+ on hard mode.

How hard is hard mode here, by the way? It says it's going to "test the limits of my sanity" and I'm not entirely sure if that's just flavor text or if this is one of those insane challenge modes not for regular people.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Amppelix posted:

How hard is hard mode here, by the way? It says it's going to "test the limits of my sanity" and I'm not entirely sure if that's just flavor text or if this is one of those insane challenge modes not for regular people.

It's mostly about monster density. A lot of areas in the ship that were previously empty due to atmosphere, like the early bit right after Jill and Parker get on board, are now swarming with Oozes.

Even then, with proper weak point exploitation, Jill's sections aren't that bad because you still have access to late-game custom parts. The really difficult bits are in areas where you play as characters other than Jill, because they're stuck with basic firearms in combat-heavy sections where you have to fight to proceed.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Do we consider the Revelations games more akin to RE4 in terms of gameplay? Because I would be down for a remake of RE2 designed like Revelations, you can even still have the A/B going on with separate chapters.

I never got around to playing Rev 2 but I really enjoyed the way they broke up the story and had all the different characters working at around the same time in Rev 1`

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Momomo posted:

The only true way to play RE1 is the Dualshock version on the PS1. Any other version is simply a waste of time.

I found that the best version of the "original" RE1 is the DS version.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aces High posted:

Do we consider the Revelations games more akin to RE4 in terms of gameplay? Because I would be down for a remake of RE2 designed like Revelations, you can even still have the A/B going on with separate chapters.

I never got around to playing Rev 2 but I really enjoyed the way they broke up the story and had all the different characters working at around the same time in Rev 1`

I'd consider Rev1 and 2 closer to the original RE's than 4-6, yeah. I think Rev2 made a mistake in trying to use the upgrade system from Rev1 the way it did rather than just going for regular shooting, and was probably a bit too stingy with the ammo in Claire's chapters, but I'd take an RE2 via Rev2.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Aces High posted:

I'd put it like 3/4 of the way inbetween classic and RE4 style. They have more focus on corridors and ammo, but they still expect you to kill every zombie you come across and you're more maneuverable in general.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Lucinice posted:

If possible i would play both, since the remake changes things around slightly to gently caress with people that thought playing the remake would be exactly the same.

If you can only do one then just do remake since it's awesome.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Bleusilences posted:

Seconding this.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Bleusilences posted:

Yeah, the character models look nice, it retains the original soundtrack, and most importantly, you can skip the loading doors.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
RE1 talk reminds me I need to figure out if I can get RE PC to work on win7 and win10. That was the first version I played, and have the soundtrack for, so it was weird playing the Playstation version a year or two after playing the PC version.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The environments look terrible on DS though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

man nurse posted:

Yeah, the character models look nice, it retains the original soundtrack, and most importantly, you can skip the loading doors.

You also don't have to use a inventory slot to keep the knife.

That being said, I had played through the Director's Cut and Remake so much, I always forget how the original is laid out in terms of items.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I mean they don't exactly look good on the PSX anymore either.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
whatever you do, don't even bother getting the old PC release of RE1, the countdown to self-destruct sequence is bugged and time goes by 2 times faster than it should, which makes completing the game nearly impossible (I got it after like 5 tries and only 0.74 "seconds" left on the timer). Sure it happened to me when I was still playing on windows XP, but let's be honest, there's no reason to suspect it's not even worse now.

The PC releases Resident Evil 2 and 3 worked decently enough, if you are willing to accept playing in like 360x240 and creating a folder in FAT32 for your saves, and I'm sure with like a week of halfway serious compatibility work on it, Capcom could release them again on Steam for like 10 bucks each.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Creamed Cormp posted:

whatever you do, don't even bother getting the old PC release of RE1, the countdown to self-destruct sequence is bugged and time goes by 2 times faster than it should, which makes completing the game nearly impossible (I got it after like 5 tries and only 0.74 "seconds" left on the timer). Sure it happened to me when I was still playing on windows XP, but let's be honest, there's no reason to suspect it's not even worse now.

The PC releases Resident Evil 2 and 3 worked decently enough, if you are willing to accept playing in like 360x240 and creating a folder in FAT32 for your saves, and I'm sure with like a week of halfway serious compatibility work on it, Capcom could release them again on Steam for like 10 bucks each.

They didn't even bother porting the HD update of Code Veronica to Steam. No way they're gonna port an old version of game they're in the midst of remaking.

Though who knows, maybe Night Dive or Retroism will do something.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
My first RE1 run was Chris on the remake.

gently caress it was tough.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Agoat posted:

My first RE1 run was Chris on the remake.

gently caress it was tough.

I used to get anxious about playing as Chris because as Jill I tended to utilize the old glitch in the GC version which netted you infinite grenade launcher rounds.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Not a Hero and the 3rd paid DLC drop tomorrow, yeah?

Stoked!

Even more so than I am for the first $20 DLC for Destiny 2, also dropping tomorrow

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

veni veni veni posted:

Resident Evil 1's environments look terrible on everything and honestly benefit from the small screen. Honestly, just skip Resident Evil 1. That game has aged like a garbage bag full of dairy products left out in the sun for an entire season. Watch the cutscenes on Youtube to have a laugh. They're the only thing worth revisiting.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Not a Hero and the 3rd paid DLC drop tomorrow, yeah?

Stoked!

A week from tomorrow.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The original RE1 is worth visiting IF you are interested in playing a sort of landmark in games and see what drove a lot of games that came afterwards. Otherwise just play REmake. Play RE2 or 3 if you want to play the old games and also want to play something decent.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
RE1 writing was whatever but that one itchy tasty Scott note really creeped me out as a kid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I could still be as scared of games as I was playing through RE1 for the first time. I hate the feeling of loving horror so much that I'm totally desensitized to it. RE1 isn't scary in retrospect anyways. REmake still has a good atmosphere though. Both of them creeped me the gently caress out back in the day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm assuming it's a given (I hope) but End of Zoe and Not a Hero are both PSVR compatible right? Has there been any confirmation?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Electromax posted:

RE1 writing was whatever but that one itchy tasty Scott note really creeped me out as a kid.

i still remember that itchy tasty note. that and the first encounter with the dogs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the thing that wigged me out the most in the RE series was Lisa. Which is funny because that came out when i was like 20 and mostly well past being scared of video games.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
there are patches to make the RE1 PC port playable but as far as I know they only work with the japanese version of the game so unless you can read that then you're kinda poo poo out of luck, it's not a good PC port.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone else wish they would re release the chronicles games? Really enjoyed those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone else wish they would re release the chronicles games? Really enjoyed those.

Exclusively for the Kinect