Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Toast King posted:

What are some good short single player games for PC? I know it's a bit vague, by I generally only have 1-2 hours to play every day or two.

No specific genre really, but here's a few I've played this year that I've really enjoyed:

- DOOM
- Hellblade
- Talos Principle (not quite as short but great in small bursts)
- The Witness
- Firewatch
- The Beginner's Guide
- Prey
- Resident Evil 7 (only an hour in but loving it so far)

Gave Wolfenstein TNO and Metro 2033 a shot a few months ago but they didn't really grab me.

Since Night in the Woods has already been recommended...

- If you haven't played Life is Strange yet, the first episode is free on Steam and each entry takes about 2-3 hours to complete.
- Tomb Raider (2013) has a short but brutal campaign lasting about 10-12 hours. Good for playing in short bursts because every segment ends with some impressive setpiece.
- What Remains of Edith Finch takes about 4-5 hours to finish and is very story-based, if you liked Firewatch you would probably like this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

Any poo poo-hot multiplayer games for 4 people to play? I have Crawl and am looking at Worms WMD.

You Don't Know Jack

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I feel like playing a modern day civil irresponsibility simulator. It doesn't seem like GTA 6 or Saints Row 5 are coming anytime soon, and Sleeping Dogs 2 is probably never going to happen, so am I missing any gems or is GTA5 my best bet?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Meldonox posted:

I feel like playing a modern day civil irresponsibility simulator. It doesn't seem like GTA 6 or Saints Row 5 are coming anytime soon, and Sleeping Dogs 2 is probably never going to happen, so am I missing any gems or is GTA5 my best bet?
Watch Dogs 2.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Walton Simons posted:

I'm hosting a gaming night tonight and my motherboard died last night. I've got an old laptop to plug into the TV. It's an AMD Phenom II X4 N630 with 4GB DDR3 and a Radeon HD6470M. In real terms the original XCOM (Enemy Unknown) is just about playable on it.

Any poo poo-hot multiplayer games for 4 people to play? I have Crawl and am looking at Worms WMD.

Castle Crashers?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Tremendous shouts on YDKJ and Castle Crashers, thank you.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

Tremendous shouts on YDKJ and Castle Crashers, thank you.

Also look into Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine. My housemates and I used to love getting drunk and heisting badly in that game and it should run on basically anything

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Walton Simons posted:

I'm hosting a gaming night tonight and my motherboard died last night. I've got an old laptop to plug into the TV. It's an AMD Phenom II X4 N630 with 4GB DDR3 and a Radeon HD6470M. In real terms the original XCOM (Enemy Unknown) is just about playable on it.

Overcooked. Crazy, chaotic fun.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Is there anything quite like Child of Eden

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Have you looked at the Eador series? It's on sale on steam right now. Masters of a Broken World (I think you might be conflating this and Heroes of a Broken Land?) is pretty long and grindy, I'm not sure if Imperium tones that down or not.

Eador is the kind of game I'd love, but the combat is extremely repetitive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's a good sidescrolling Metroidvania that isn't obsessed with difficulty, like maybe only as hard as Super Metroid, and can be completed in about the same amount of time? I've played and enjoyed Shovel Knight even though I know it's not exactly the same thing.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

exquisite tea posted:

What's a good sidescrolling Metroidvania that isn't obsessed with difficulty, like maybe only as hard as Super Metroid, and can be completed in about the same amount of time? I've played and enjoyed Shovel Knight even though I know it's not exactly the same thing.

Ori and the Blind Forest

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
If you want a super low stress game you can jump into for 15-20 minutes here or there, I would recommend Dragonball: Xenoverse 2. It's ANIME, yes, but the fighting system is surprisingly well-done and strikes just the right balance of easy to learn and hard to master. The avatar system means you can make your own Goku and have him or her beat the poo poo out of all of the established canon characters, which is surprisingly satisfying. And it's just plain old fun mindless wish fulfillment for giving you a character that can ultimately go toe to toe with Gods and toss around massive loving energy beams and explosions and poo poo.

The real thing I always liked is that the game feels super loving chill. A certain amount of stress can be fun, but this one was only ever relaxing to me and sometimes that's what you really want.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Let me tell you about Metroid fusion, Metroid zero mission and AM2R :filez:

oh and Axiom Verge too

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 28, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chinook posted:

Ori and the Blind Forest

Jesus, they asked for a metroidvania, not an obstacle course.

Try Hollow Knight (it's long tho) or Axiom Verge.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

exquisite tea posted:

maybe only as hard as Super Metroid

I have a hard time believing that anyone could find AM2R to be even as easy as Super. Even on Easy mode. Hell I'd say even Normal is harder than the Hard modes of either JP-Fusion or Zero Mission.
Not knocking AM2R for this. It's a very good game. Just saying it's audience is Metroid Veterans and not really anyone else.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Backhand posted:

If you want a super low stress game you can jump into for 15-20 minutes here or there, I would recommend Dragonball: Xenoverse 2. It's ANIME, yes, but the fighting system is surprisingly well-done and strikes just the right balance of easy to learn and hard to master.

I think you're overselling it; most of the gameplay rarely rises above Dynasty Warriors level of complexity.

It's still a lot of fun, and it's absolutely the DBZ game everyone wanted when they were 11. That part's pretty much indisputable.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

exquisite tea posted:

Xeodrifter is a super chill metroidvania that can be beaten in 3-4 hours and can be had for like a dollar in sales

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Backhand posted:

If you want a super low stress game you can jump into for 15-20 minutes here or there, I would recommend Dragonball: Xenoverse 2. It's ANIME, yes, but the fighting system is surprisingly well-done and strikes just the right balance of easy to learn and hard to master. The avatar system means you can make your own Goku and have him or her beat the poo poo out of all of the established canon characters, which is surprisingly satisfying. And it's just plain old fun mindless wish fulfillment for giving you a character that can ultimately go toe to toe with Gods and toss around massive loving energy beams and explosions and poo poo.

The real thing I always liked is that the game feels super loving chill. A certain amount of stress can be fun, but this one was only ever relaxing to me and sometimes that's what you really want.

How's the camera and targeting system compared to the first game? It drove me nuts.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Is there anything quite like Child of Eden

Rez Infinite, though I'm sure you already know of that.

There was also that Panzer Dragoon spritual successor that launched with the Xbox One and lots of microtransactions.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
I'm looking for a good racing game for hotseat multiplayer. I'd rather have it be more casual than simulator-like, although if it's fun enough to just pick up and play whatever works.

We used to play a lot of hotseat trackmania back in the day (that elimination mode where the slowest driver drops out of the race each round was great), but I recently got a steering wheel and apparently the trackmania games have no support for that whatsoever.

What other good party racing games are there?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

How's the camera and targeting system compared to the first game? It drove me nuts.

About the same, really. It's the same game, just slightly more polished and more of it.

The story actually got worse, sadly; the first one was at least a little inventive in its premise, but the second just does the exact same thing, and not as well. Still, I didn't play it for the story.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Most people would consider Forza Horizon 3 to be pretty casual, or are you looking for something even more detached from reality?

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009

General Probe posted:

Most people would consider Forza Horizon 3 to be pretty casual, or are you looking for something even more detached from reality?

The gameplay does look casual enough for my intentions, but unfortunately I don't own an Xbox One and never switched to Windows 10 from 7.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

can someone tell me if Xenonauts is any good, its pretty cheap on steam today

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

assuming I want to play these in ascending order of quality, in what order should I play:

pillars of eternity complete
wasteland 2: director's cut
divinity: original sin

all for ps4?

I personally could not even get past the character creation screen in Wasteland II, so in ascending order:

Wasteland II (though maybe I am a poor judge not having played it)
[Divinity: Original Sin]
Pillars of Eternity
Divinity: Original Sin II

Pillars of Eternity versus the first Divinity: Original Sin is going to depend on your taste, PoE is closer to the old Infinity Engine games, Original Sin is mechanically tighter. However, the sequel to the latter fixes a lot of the negatives it had, which is why I put it on top.

Keep your eyes peeled for Pillars of Eternity II. The CRPG revival is real.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Maya Fey posted:

It's fairly similar to the original X-Com, but felt even more fiddly. I was surprised to find that I enjoy the new X-Com games more than Xenonauts.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Maya Fey posted:

If you want a UFO Defense sequel that's true to form it's actually really good. It was overshadowed by XCom which released not long after it came out, but I'd say it's the best of all the games that try to emulate UFO Defense. It's a very different game from modern XCom.

If you get it, make sure you opt-in to the Community Edition mod through Steam Betas:
https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11599-what-is-xenonauts-community-edition-how-do-i-get-it/

It's a whole lot of bugfixes and general UI/quality of life improvements

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 3, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you want a UFO Defense sequel that's true to form it's actually really good. It was overshadowed by XCom which released not long after it came out, but I'd say it's the best of all the games that try to emulate UFO Defense. It's a very different game from modern XCom.

If you get it, make sure you opt-in to the Community Edition mod through Steam Betas:
https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11599-what-is-xenonauts-community-edition-how-do-i-get-it/

It's a whole lot of bugfixes and general UI/quality of life improvements

It's the best game that tries to emulate UFO Defence, but it is not better than it. Personally, I feel this is because they tried to up the scope too much. Nice large urban environments with many floored buildings sound great, until you realise that's even more fog of war you can hunt aliens through. That and the thoroughly lifeless soundtrack and sterile aesthetic make it considerably weaker than the original in all but the great UI features and superb charm and character within the base management. Here's hoping they improve as greatly as the Endless Space guys, because they do have similar issues.

Essentially just get UFO Defence and grab Open XCom for the best experience out there. Maybe use the mod that changes the original soundtrack for the slightly punchier PSX soundtrack.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm enjoying dead cells but it's got the same problem I see in a lot of these roguelites which is that the overall progression is a little too slow, and I can sit down for an hour or two and not feel like I've actually got any further

Is there anything like that but maybe it moved a little faster? I like the idea of them but tend to get bored when it doesn't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Any recommendations for a flight or space sim on the Pc that I can use my new HOTAS setup on? I’d love something single player, and with some sort of progression or customization.

Something like ace combat would be fantastic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bishop Beo posted:

Any recommendations for a flight or space sim on the Pc that I can use my new HOTAS setup on? I’d love something single player, and with some sort of progression or customization.

House of the Dying Sun is short and sweet. Bit more on the sim side, Strike Fighters 2 is good for modern jets(even featuring a mercenary mode for all your Ace Combat Zero dreams) and IL2 BoS onwards is great for WW2, just make sure to get the PWCG mod for good singleplayer campaigns. Same for Rise of Flight in WW1, get PWCG.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bishop Beo posted:

Elite dangerous?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Deformed Church posted:

I'm enjoying dead cells but it's got the same problem I see in a lot of these roguelites which is that the overall progression is a little too slow, and I can sit down for an hour or two and not feel like I've actually got any further

Is there anything like that but maybe it moved a little faster? I like the idea of them but tend to get bored when it doesn't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

Can you describe what you're after? I haven't played Dead Cells, but from my broad knowledge of it - it's a platformer with combat with the Binding of Isaac structure where you die often and unlock stuff for future runs - that informs what I can rec.

If you want a platformer with combat that has a structure that moves "faster" - i.e. you get cool stuff, find new challenges, etc - Hollow Knight, Copy Kitty, Mark of the Ninja, Ori and the Blind Forest, Super Metroid (not on Steam), Castlevanias, etc.

If you want the BoI structure, Nuclear Throne, Deathstate, Enter the Gungeon, Assault Android Cactus, etc. Those are all twin stick shooters as I'm not remembering many games with that kind of progression outside of actual roguelikes, and it doesn't sound like you want turn-based games.

... On the off-chance that you do, Cogmind is insanely good, has a lot of combat, and moves really quickly for being turn-based. Other highlights: DoomRL (this one's free!), Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, etc.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you describe what you're after? I haven't played Dead Cells, but from my broad knowledge of it - it's a platformer with combat with the Binding of Isaac structure where you die often and unlock stuff for future runs - that informs what I can rec.

If you want a platformer with combat that has a structure that moves "faster" - i.e. you get cool stuff, find new challenges, etc - Hollow Knight, Copy Kitty, Mark of the Ninja, Ori and the Blind Forest, Super Metroid (not on Steam), Castlevanias, etc.

If you want the BoI structure, Nuclear Throne, Deathstate, Enter the Gungeon, Assault Android Cactus, etc. Those are all twin stick shooters as I'm not remembering many games with that kind of progression outside of actual roguelikes, and it doesn't sound like you want turn-based games.

... On the off-chance that you do, Cogmind is insanely good, has a lot of combat, and moves really quickly for being turn-based. Other highlights: DoomRL (this one's free!), Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, etc.

I like the general idea of the roguelite with some persistent elements. I'm not too fussed on the style of game beyond that - I first had this problem with everspace. I guess what I'm really looking for is just something where the persistent elements move a little faster.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check some of them out.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
"How do you make a rouge-like?"
"Is it dangerous to play roguelite?"
"Is the ragga-like a real game?"
"Have you played the Roga lite game?"
"Rogue-limes????????"
"Do rigel lights actually work?"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

"How do you make a rouge-like?"
"Is it dangerous to play roguelite?"
"Is the ragga-like a real game?"
"Have you played the Roga lite game?"
"Rogue-limes????????"
"Do rigel lights actually work?"

Try Dungeonmans or Dungeons of Dredmor

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Looking for a class based game, especially one where you can cross skills from one class to another. Obvious Disgaea, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics/5, but any other games that do something like this on PS4 or PC?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Looking for a class based game, especially one where you can cross skills from one class to another. Obvious Disgaea, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics/5, but any other games that do something like this on PS4 or PC?

Xenoblade Chronicles kinda does this - you get fixed characters in fixed roles, so not really class based, but you can "borrow" other character's skills and use them on a different character depending on the amount of levels / unique monsters you killed and the relationship between the characters.

And you can play it rather hassle-free on PC via emulator. Can look pretty good, too

Just remember to save state every 10 minutes or so, it can still occasionally crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Leal posted:

Tangledeep is all about this!