Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
why is it not assumed that your armies are always drilling anyway? what is discipline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
dip OR dip points

this isn't difficult

Flavius Belisarius posted:

why is it not assumed that your armies are always drilling anyway? what is discipline?

discipline increases damage done and decreases damage taken by whatever %

drilling effectively increases discipline by up to 10% which is nice but disappears quickly against any nation with strategic depth

previously, it was often worthwhile to decrease maintenance of your armies at peace to make ducats, now there is some incentive to keep them at full maintenance and drill

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 5, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
bird money

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What is the issue that some people have with monarch points? They're a lot loving better than the slider hell of EU 3

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

unwantedplatypus posted:

What is the issue that some people have with monarch points? They're a lot loving better than the slider hell of EU 3

is anyone complaining about monarch points? I only see people complaining about the names people give monarch points, and also professionalism/drill

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

unwantedplatypus posted:

Basically everyone is down with MP being a thing.

This thread gets annoyed when Monarch Points (MPs) are referred to as "paper/bird/sword mana" because we're pedants and that is extremely dumb.

They should properly be referred to as ADM/DIP/MIL points. This isn't an RPG, there's no mana, what are you even talking about.

There is also an effort to distinguish us from the official Paradox forums which tend to be full of weird nationalists and reactionaries.

edit: see also, referring to the Ottomans as "kebab"

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 5, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is there a reason I can't change my rivals? I have a list I can choose from, but they're all greyed out. There isn't a tooltip explaining why I can't change them, it just shows the list and my inability to select from it.

It isn't because I've only been rivals with a particular nation for too short a time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Node posted:

don't do that here please

i'm gonna do it :twisted:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

This thread gets annoyed when Monarch Points (MPs) are referred to as "paper/bird/sword mana" because we're pedants and that is extremely dumb.

They should properly be referred to as ADM/DIP/MIL points. This isn't an RPG, there's no mana, what are you even talking about.

There is also an effort to distinguish us from the official Paradox forums which tend to be full of weird nationalists and reactionaries.

I mean the difference there is that one of those is a lovely racist nickname and the other is completely fine

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It makes me sad that, as a technologically astute western enlightened monarch, I can only have 999 birds, while foolish savage despots in barbarian lands can have over 1000 birds

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The reason tech is so dire for the Americas is because the peoples there haven't developed efficient means of producing books, birds, and swords.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Funky Valentine posted:

The reason tech is so dire for the Americas is because the peoples there haven't developed efficient means of producing books, birds, and swords.

Who says this isn’t a historically accurate game??

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

when u cast a powerful Reduce War Exhaustion spell

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Monarch points are mana in the sense that you expend a resource to make an effect happen, but its pretty good game design imo. Its not really a knock against them.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Monarch points are a perfectly good game mechanic but if you mad at people poking fun at video game abstractions by giving them funny nicknames then you might be taking your map-painting simulator too seriously.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gobblecoque posted:

Monarch points are a perfectly good game mechanic but if you mad at people poking fun at video game abstractions by giving them funny nicknames then you might be taking your map-painting simulator too seriously.

For me I find it mildly annoying not because they're poking fun at the game but because I tend to get annoyed at any joke/meme that gets repeated often enough. We've all heard it before, there's nothing witty or clever about flogging a dead horse

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

I saw the term used as Führer Mana in the HoI4 thread, and that gave me a hearty chuckle as I was not pleased with the design choices made for the game at release. I like EU4 a whole lot better, but I still find the term amusing despite harbour no ill will towards the game. :)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

For me I find it mildly annoying not because they're poking fun at the game but because I tend to get annoyed at any joke/meme that gets repeated often enough. We've all heard it before, there's nothing witty or clever about flogging a dead horse

err saying bird mana isn't supposed to be some hilarious joke though

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Node posted:

Is there a reason I can't change my rivals? I have a list I can choose from, but they're all greyed out. There isn't a tooltip explaining why I can't change them, it just shows the list and my inability to select from it.

It isn't because I've only been rivals with a particular nation for too short a time.

Right click on the rival you want to change.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
You need to spend bird mana to give your troops bonii

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

You need to spend bird mana to give your troops bonii

I'm sorry sir this it the HabsBurgerKing drive-thru, could you repeat your order please?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
you guys talking about dove coins?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

got your duck duckets your spear duckets and your bible buckets and then just regular old ducket duckets

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I miss the plutocracy/aristocracy etc. sliders from EU2.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I miss the plutocracy/aristocracy etc. sliders from EU2.

why

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

reignonyourparade posted:

So, funny thing I've noticed: Ottomans can't form Arabia but if they specifically culture swap to Yemeni they should be able to form Yemen just fine and THEN form Arabia.

Like how you can start out as the Ottos, conquer Byzantium, take a bit more of the Balkans, flip to a Christian religion and culture shift in order to form Romania or Croatia, then go Greek and re-form Byzantium.

Christian Greek nation called Byzantium, completely legit, with all the Ottoman territory, military units and ideas, all the Byzantine claims and missions, and a ruling dynasty named Osmanoglu. Did it by the mid-1470s, still within the lifetime of my first glorious ruler.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Groke posted:

Like how you can start out as the Ottos, conquer Byzantium, take a bit more of the Balkans, flip to a Christian religion and culture shift in order to form Romania or Croatia, then go Greek and re-form Byzantium.

Christian Greek nation called Byzantium, completely legit, with all the Ottoman territory, military units and ideas, all the Byzantine claims and missions, and a ruling dynasty named Osmanoglu. Did it by the mid-1470s, still within the lifetime of my first glorious ruler.

Well the difference is that byzantium takes two culture swaps while this only takes one, because Yemeni is levantine and thus can form arabia.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

I just thought it seemed more immersive, like I was shifting policy more naturally. I also liked that most of your capability relied on your gold income, which made more sense. I don't dislike the monarch points, I just liked that system.

I think it would be cool to have both, like maybe you shifted your Overton Window over a series of grids, and whatever ideas and policies were inside of that window were available to you to purchase.

Flavius Aetass fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 5, 2017

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Paradox needs to add some Polynesian countries with their own special mechanics that actually uses mana as a term, just to confuse people.

(Seriously, a playable Maori nation would be really cool...)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Pellisworth posted:

I call it paper/bird/sword mana because it makes /gsg/ angry whenever they see devs refer to the monarch point system it by their joke.

Angry Salami posted:

+1

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

[quote="Angry Salami" post=""479032771"]
[/quote]

It would need some neighbours and probably a full South Pacific focused expansion to be any fun to play. Split NZ into several Māori iwi (tribes) and add some playable Aboriginal Australian peoples and Pacific Islanders such as Tonga and Samoa too. I did a patriotic custom NZ run a while back and there was nothing to do but colonise forever and by the time you meet the likes of Tidore you're already big enough to effortlessly swallow them. It wasn't until I ran into Ming that it got remotely interesting/fun/challenging and even then not very. The entire run was missing the political game that makes EU fun.

e: after thinking about it a bit more, the region would need a lot of new provinces too. Compare NZ's landmass and province count to those of Great Britain and Japan. Same with Australia. You can justify this somewhat with the relative populations and development levels, but to be at all fun and interesting, a Māori or Australian Aboriginal start would need an early game along the lines of Japan's Daimyo phase or Aztec's religious reformation phase with a lot more tags and provinces than currently in the area. Despite migrating from more northern areas of the Pacific, Māori didn't stay in any sort of contact with anyone outside on NZ until the arrival of Europeans, so after an early unification phase you'd pretty much have to go full alt-history and let a Māori tag invade Aussie and vice versa or the player would have nothing to do for a couple of hundred years. This could be an issue if you're playing in Europe and care about the rest of the world being somewhat historical though, and if you start going around filling in all the indigenous peoples in all the colonial regions you're gonna have to redo the entire colonisation system too

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 5, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Would that mean the infantry model will be doing the haka instead of firing a gun?

Starting in the SE Asia islands is a lot more fun if Ming has exploded.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Poil posted:

Would that mean the infantry model will be doing the haka instead of firing a gun?

Wow dude wtf

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Wow dude wtf
:confused:

I just thought it would look cool on the map. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

It's a bit like suggesting Native American models should be smoking pipes or something instead of fighting. Okay the haka is a war dance performed before battle, but the Māori still actually fought, with weapons. Having them performing a haka while being shot at by a European model would be... problematic. They did a pretty good job of fighting too, giving the British a run for their money considering the technological differences. They invented trench warfare in response to guns and cannons and adapted their fortifications in such a way as to deflect cannonballs - off wooden walls.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 5, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

groogy why were the piety bonuses swapped

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Dev diary is up here and in addition to the optimizations there's going to be some balance changes

quote:

For one, we were discussing the movement speed of an early modern army and comparing it to the overall speed of our units in game. Our in-game armies were moving oddly fast compared to historical estimations and as such, we have reduced the movement speed of units from 1.0 to 0.7, but not without ways of increasing it. For one, a historical strength of the Nomads was there ability to cover great stretches of land quickly and as such have tied faster unit movement speed to those governments. Additionally, Army Drill will increase an army's movement speed by up to 20% at full drill, so a well prepared army will have a much easier time moving into position compared to green units.

Other changes include Interest rates being capped at a minimum of 1.0. It is intended that nations will have to reasonable balance their debts, rather than it being treated as an infinite pool of money when modifiers were stacked heavily. To this end, we have also reduced the strength of many Interest reduction sources, as far more have been added since the launch of EU4 while the Interest and loans system have not.

Finally, a couple changes for Army Professionalism: the Supply Depot, which boosts reinforcement rate and supply limit, will last for 5 years instead of 2. The Reserves Morale Impact is now more effective due to increased daily morale damage and has switched places with the reduced General Costs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

It's a bit like suggesting Native American models should be smoking pipes or something instead of fighting. Okay the haka is a war dance performed before battle, but the Māori still actually fought, with weapons. Having them performing a haka while being shot at by a European model would be... problematic. They did a pretty good job of fighting too, giving the British a run for their money considering the technological differences. They invented trench warfare in response to guns and cannons and adapted their fortifications in such a way as to deflect cannonballs - off wooden walls.
I see, and didn't realize that at all. But the European model would still have tons of the usual casualty numbers and so on so it would imply they are being scared/impressed to death by the dance. A shame because it's really cool to include visually instead of just a bonus in the national ideas. It could be included as the animation for drilling instead I suppose but that would probably be way too much time and effort spent on it to be worth including.

The Storming of Gate Pah - the defeat of the British by Maori warriors

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

lol 30 seconds in and that dude is butchering the pronunciation of the Māori words really badly. Shame that a guy doing an educational video couldn't be bothered to learn the correct vowel sounds, they're not hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Also just gone official today but starting next year I'll be helping DDRJake out in dumbing down this game for casuals.