Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Kawabata posted:

And yeah I think the thought of wasting 20 more minutes of your life losing even harder is part of what's making people leave mobas in droves.

I think this is the only issue I'm bringing up. The game is fun in close comebacks, maybe exclusively. Shared suffering you and your teammates push through. Assuming you're done but still having another twenty minutes usually means it wasn't inevitable and telling people they should consider leaving at twenty and then again for every setback afterward is just a bad option to offer them. For what it's worth this was the old reported opinion of failing company, Valve, and the reason it's not in.

Yay! Thanks for noticing and being snarky about my bad opinions, wangsbig, it's always an honor. I bring it up because I have reasonably well ranked, long-time lol playing friends who complain about this feature and the general ready-to-quit state people seem to be in. I don't think it's the reason the game is successful, maybe it would be improved if it was removed, assuming the game let people gain advantages and use them (comeback mechanics are fair, high ground is crackable, etc.). And who cares what they do with their dumb game, dota players are real men who follow through with their commitments. Rocket league has it, which is odd, but since games are only five minutes long and aren't based aren't gradual buildup of economic advantage it feels fine.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ILL Machina posted:

I think this is the only issue I'm bringing up. The game is fun in close comebacks, maybe exclusively. Shared suffering you and your teammates push through. Assuming you're done but still having another twenty minutes usually means it wasn't inevitable and telling people they should consider leaving at twenty and then again for every setback afterward is just a bad option to offer them. For what it's worth this was the old reported opinion of failing company, Valve, and the reason it's not in.

Yay! Thanks for noticing and being snarky at about my bad opinions, wangsbig, it's always an honor. I bring it up because I have reasonably well ranked, long-time lol playing friends who complain about this feature and the general ready-to-quit state people seem to be in. I don't think it's the reason the game is successful, maybe it would be improved if it was removed, assuming the game let people gain advantages and use them (comeback mechanics are fair, high ground is crackable, etc.). And who cares what they do with their dumb game, dota players are real men who follow through with their commitments. Rocket league has it, which is odd, but since games are only five minutes long and aren't based aren't gradual buildup of economic advantage it feels fine.

Valve's stated reason for it is that giving the winning team the ability to stomp the opponent is more important towards overall satisfaction than worrying about how bad it feels to lose for 20 minutes straight. They then patched the game in a million ways to make comebacks more likely because they wanted to repeat what people considered peak satisfaction the game could provide.

Except it backfired entirely and made everything stale, so they said gently caress it and decided to amp everything up to 11.

They pretty much destroyed the game and I don't see a path for it going back. They got rid of what made DotA unique to all the copycats without understanding why things worked out so well for it.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I used to want a concede button, but enough 11th-hour comebacks have convinced me you'd lose some of the best moments of the game trying to get rid of the worst.

Perhaps I've just achieved some kind of DOTA zen state, but the game's way less frustrating for me these days than just about any other big name competitive game (Overwatch in particular makes me rage incredibly hard for some reason.) I just play rounds at my middling scrub teir, enjoy the games for what they are, occasionally buy a cool hat.

JollyPubJerk posted:

Valve's stated reason for it is that giving the winning team the ability to stomp the opponent is more important towards overall satisfaction than worrying about how bad it feels to lose for 20 minutes straight.
Do you have a source for this one? I'd be interested to read it if you do.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Excuse the Reddit link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/3lsb2v/valve_developer_why_valve_will_never_add_a/

He's not completely wrong, but not completely accurate. Part of the quote is "the people who are winning are probably having fun".

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ILL Machina posted:

Yay! Thanks for noticing and being snarky at about my bad opinions, wangsbig, it's always an honor. I bring it up because I have reasonably well ranked, long-time lol playing friends who complain about this feature and the general ready-to-quit state people seem to be in. I don't think it's the reason the game is successful, maybe it would be improved if it was removed, assuming the game let people gain advantages and use them (comeback mechanics are fair, high ground is crackable, etc.). And who cares what they do with their dumb game, dota players are real men who follow through with their commitments. Rocket league has it, which is odd, but since games are only five minutes long and aren't based aren't gradual buildup of economic advantage it feels fine.

I absolutely get your point but to me the game should let the players decide whether they want to try and make a comeback and not force them into it. The torture effect in those games where the opposing team has 3 late game cores that somehow also won their lanes is also not something you want a new player to experience. And all games need fresh blood, including Dota.

I completely disagree with what JollyPubJerk is saying and before the comeback mechanics were in place you'd lose games almost instantly against certain lineups, only to be doomed to forever waste the following 20 to 30 minutes of your life. A game being compromised before minute 8 because someone made some lovely lane choices is/was not stellar game design in spite of what some :smug: people keep saying. Also JPJ you were rage dc'ing on half your bad games while streaming so I doubt you're the best person to argue against a concede button. You certainly pressed yours often enough!

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

ILL Machina posted:

Excuse the Reddit link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/3lsb2v/valve_developer_why_valve_will_never_add_a/

He's not completely wrong, but not completely accurate. Part of the quote is "the people who are winning are probably having fun".

Thanks, I was wondering if he was referencing that one. Here's the PC gamer link to the same article: http://www.pcgamer.com/heros-journey-we-visit-valve-to-get-an-inside-look-at-the-development-of-dota-2/
The second part of that quote is relevant as well:

Erik Johnson posted:

One of the things we never want to lose is the amazing comeback, like the game we just played – both sides probably would have surrendered in that game at certain points. That would have been a robbery of fun.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
There's also the fact that while there's definitely some people who will play 20+ minutes of painful losing to get that 30 second high of coring the enemy team in a comeback, there's also plenty of people that don't consider that a worthwhile endeavor. More power to you if you prefer those comebacks though, and you can basically ignore the concede button if you get 3 players in a group who want to do those long comebacks (or duo queue + one person you can make spiteful enough to vote no).

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The point is you've queued into a dota game and you're all expected to fight it out. Especially now that games are endable. You, at whatever all-knowing mmr you are, can't guess how the game will end, or if the enemy team will misplay their advantage. If you're not willing to play a game longer than twenty minutes unless you're winning, you should never have tried to play dota.

It's not the instantaneous reward of the ancient explosion that is the payoff for the slog, it's the knowing the effort was worth it and you overcame your doubt. Forced 50% winrate, yada yada

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 5, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i dont know how it will end but I know how bored I am playing it and hell, maybe two other ppl will agree with me and we can move on

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Wangsbig posted:

i dont know how it will end but I know how bored I am playing it and hell, maybe two other ppl will agree with me and we can move on

Inshallah

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

maybe leave or don't play idk

if you get bored of dota by the 20 minute mark perhaps its not the game for you?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ok guy who's never been bored of a game by 20 minutes

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

This is all of us during strategy time. We cannot have this option.

Move on, in general and in life, without clicking the button or you'll just be ready to bail on the next four/nine folks who don't live up to your entertainment dreams.

That goes through my head before every click and so I typically don't. Maybe it is killing the game because people aren't clicking, but drat I would hate it if people were able to suggest forfeit to plant that gg-go-next seed. With all the bitching we do about the watering down/catering to casuals, I'd think we were nearly unanimous here.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 5, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Wangsbig posted:

This. Multiple times I have checked out of games by about 7 minutes in the last couple weeks but sadly you cannot just slam abandon or you will be in rager single draft hell.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
9/10 times you can tell you're going to lose before game starts

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ILL Machina posted:

This is all of us during strategy time. We cannot have this option.

Move on, in general and in life, without clicking the button or you'll just be ready to bail on the next four/nine folks who don't live up to your entertainment dreams.

That goes through my head before every click and so I typically don't. Maybe it is killing the game because people aren't clicking, but drat I would hate it if people were able to suggest to plant that gg-go-next seed. With all the bitching we do here about the watering down/catering to casuals, I'd think we were nearly unanimous here.
source your insane yet conceited opinion markov bot

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

jBrereton posted:

This. Multiple times I have checked out of games by about 7 minutes in the last couple weeks but sadly you cannot just slam abandon or you will be in rager single draft hell.

this is actually a reward btw, low prio has been the best and funnest mode particularly after they murdered randoming

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

As an actual new player I haven't really felt any desire for a concede button. If a game is irretrievable you generally get wiped and they take your base in pretty short order. Otherwise you can win a surprising number of clearly unfavourable games off the back of one or two good team fights or core picks due to how much more kills matter late in the game. Admittedly both of these are probably more of a problem for better players who may be able to stretch out high ground defense more and who are less likely to randomly feed their position 1 with buyback down.

Maybe you want the button for when the other team is BMing and just refusing to take your core but I haven't seen a single instance of that, at most they've picked off players in fountain first when they didn't need to.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

this is actually a reward btw, low prio has been the best and funnest mode particularly after they murdered randoming

This is a sad truth.

I miss old random draft.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty effed you don't even get 1 iron branch for randoming in random draft. Not sure what the 'frog was thinking there.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

As an actual new player I haven't really felt any desire for a concede button. If a game is irretrievable you generally get wiped and they take your base in pretty short order.
If you have the right/in this instance wrong heroes with a ton of AoE so pushing towers and esp high ground is distilled aids, or the enemy team is just idiots who will feed a couple very expensive kills, but you know from experience while laning that multiple people on your team don't Have Brain, you can lose over the course of a solid hour. Heck, I've done it today.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

9/10 times you can tell you're going to lose before game starts

Jesus, you keep spouting toxic poo poo and toxic poo poo like a mini JPJ. Realize your lovely attitude paired with your mediocre skills are the reason you sit in your skill range and get paired with other people with skill like you, but sadly your horrible attitude drags everyone down and infuses the other toxic guys on your team.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

ive never been bored ever in my loving life

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
if it didnt take five time as long to queue for single draft as it does to queue for ranked i would probably play exclusively sd

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
The game is AIDS and they made it really really bad. Especially that broodmother change.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

the game can still be fun if you play carry or mid and they don't have one of the support heroes that gets 5 escapes with their talents and free items so you can actually kill them and then win the game

so yeah its cancer

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

maybe get your depression in check if your desire to play dota doesn't even last as long as a boner

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
When a game is 15-0 by 15 minutes, I don't typically feel a need to play anymore.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Kild posted:

maybe get your depression in check if your desire to play dota doesn't even last as long as a boner

not wanting to slave away at a dull task a clear sign of depression thanks dr. goon

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

this man must be mentally ill, to not want to play the videogame dota 2

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

not wanting to slave away at a dull task a clear sign of depression thanks dr. goon

the dull task of playing the game you loaded up and sat 5 minutes in queue for then pressed the ya I want to play this game button

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Kild posted:

the dull task of playing the game you loaded up and sat 5 minutes in queue for then pressed the ya I want to play this game button

i don't know what particular strain of your autism is making you insist that every minute of dota is a high octane blast but heck, sometimes they aren't and I'd like to spend them doing anything else which combined with my love of low prio is why I have a very high abandoner's rate

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

i don't know what particular strain of your autism is making you insist that every minute of dota is a high octane blast but heck, sometimes they aren't and I'd like to spend them doing anything else which combined with my love of low prio is why I have a very high abandoner's rate

I didn't say it was just that if you can't handle the lows in dota maybe play something else? Like do you get on a rollercoaster and try 2 jump off when its climbing bc its boring and not 'high octane'?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Kild posted:

I didn't say it was just that if you can't handle the lows in dota maybe play something else? Like do you get on a rollercoaster and try 2 jump off when its climbing bc its boring and not 'high octane'?

a rollercoaster has a guaranteed payoff which this game doesn't can u please get someone smarter to elaborate on your argument

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
just quit the game already then

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

just quit the game already then

i uninstalled the game at 01:08 forums time on November 12th, 2017

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

nice meltdowns everyone

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I once literally 1v5ed and won when two randos raged and then my two friends also quit all by the 10 min mark, so literally any game of dota is hypothetically winnable ty.

Also once came back from having throne at 8hp + megacreeps - for some reason their necro didnt attack the ancient once, I watched the replay just to see wtf happened and he was running around in circles doing nothing but spamming q.

I still remember those games. And yet both of them would have deffo been killed by a concede button.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think Dark Willow is a fun hero.

Who is the HoN hero that has her ganking ult spell I forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Oi Risque, Minorkos, how up are you on the rankings? I could use some friendly goon challenge to up my ranking and be there with the -*°Goon Elite 420°*-