Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:stare: 9S, wanna take a break buddy?

This is fine. It’s fine. It’s fine. It’s fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If killing machines is wrong then i dont want to know whats right.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

Iretep posted:

If killing *snip* is wrong then i dont want to know whats right.
There, fixed that for you.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Nohman posted:

This took way too long to do but I regret nothing.

This is goddamn beautiful. :allears:

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The quality of the fan art (maybe creations is a better word?) that people produce for this topic is top tier.

I think 9S needs some of the good ole' R&R. Take a break, go on vacation, maybe buy a nice T-shirt as a souvenir for 2B - oh, right.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
The nice thing about Android society as opposed to Replicant or Watcher doomland society is that it's theoretically possible to have mental health counselling. Think about it: the closest analogues in Drakengard would be the Church of the Watchers, the closest analogue in Nier would be Devola and Popola and we see how well that turned out.

In theory, we can imagine A2, 9S, and Pascal sitting down with a nice Lacan-type robot who'll ask them about their childhood experiences and why they became obsessed with killing, respectively, all machines, all machines and A2, and themselves, and perhaps get them to deal with their trauma in a constructive way. In every game but Nier: Automata, this has been an impossibility.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Oh look, 9S finally got to **** 2B.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Zero would be proud:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAk1-HM0FGU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Absolutely one hundred percent watch this for what is some of the most unnerving voice acting you'll ever hear.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Kyle McCarley does such an amazing job at selling the character. This game's english acting as a whole is stellar, an aspect of the original I am very glad was carried over.

His ability to transition from relative stability to being completely broken is amazing.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh, he's laughing at the end, he's...he's happy and ok now...yes. Good. Everything is fine. :stare:

Also today we learned the machines are wasting their time trying to blow up a moon that Hackerboy knows is empty, so he has no further reason for concern about any of this.

Anyway, the voice acting continues to blow me away.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
i just finished this game up through ending E yesterday, and this scene at the top of the soul box has stuck with me most. i think it’s the voice acting. what a superb scene.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Man, remember when 9S used to be a goofy, laid-back dork? :smith:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The soul box can be really mean. The boss at the end is mostly easy but it has one grab attack that can catch you by surprise and kill you if you aren't overleveled/fast enough to start spamming healing items. Of course for some reason it doesn't count as a boss either so there's no checkpoint, so you'll have to reload a previous save and do the entire tower over if that attack gets you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My friends call me Nines .

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I like how 9S has no reaction to learning that he is part machine. Even his AI routines are machine in nature.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I'm with Id that leaping to them planning to blast the moon is weird. These are the same beings that got into the central database and clearly have extracted significant information about YoRHa and the androids that even the Commander didn't know, so there's no way they don't know that there are no humans on the moon.

The mention of computerizing stuff makes me thing of Tron-like stuff, but I dunno if that's what's going on. In any case I got the impression that it was maybe gonna shoot a giant data stream to who knows where, maybe the alien planet if those guys are at all relevant. It's pretty clear the red girls have no issue taking a lot of time just to screw with people at large-scale and personal levels. Maybe they are gonna blast the moon, just to mess with the last ten or so surviving androids. For all I know, now that they've killed the main resistance force here, they're looking for a new planet to screw with so they don't get bored.

The Dark Id posted:

I don’t think we have a plan behind that from Hackerman.

Two chest to hack.

Originally this file contained the content of two separate by related files

and did a wile flurry of haymakers at close range.

Could've just never heard it used that way, but I assume first should be "beyond"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

proposal: :unsmigghh:

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
Let me point out that the freakout is totally weird. Like, a bunch of machines post his memories on Facebook, and 9S decides to murder 2B's data, of all things? I'm fully spoiled, but I don't get what's happening in this scene.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
<crying turning to insane laughter>

drat, that is the merest description of what the voice actor for 9S achieves in that scene. It still gives me the willies, watching it even now. As a side note, I almost posted this with turning spelled as "turing" which I thought was funny, but can't figure out how to work into a joke.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

FisheyStix posted:

<crying turning to insane laughter>

drat, that is the merest description of what the voice actor for 9S achieves in that scene. It still gives me the willies, watching it even now. As a side note, I almost posted this with turning spelled as "turing" which I thought was funny, but can't figure out how to work into a joke.

yeah that transformation into laughter while the scene fades out is some next level poo poo

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Charles_Kinbote posted:

Let me point out that the freakout is totally weird. Like, a bunch of machines post his memories on Facebook, and 9S decides to murder 2B's data, of all things? I'm fully spoiled, but I don't get what's happening in this scene.

My understanding is that the machines are basically loving with 9S by showing him his memories of his would-be lover and then forcing him to relive her death in front of him. The soul box shadow thing turning into 2B is basically the machine intelligence psychologically torturing 9S, who is still suffering from the death of 2B.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This discussion was a few pages back, but I read OG Devola and Popola's plan of framing things as Weiss vs. Noir to encourage Nier to vent his frustrations on the Shades and calm him down. And once he got the Sealed Verses, the twins were probably thinking of going, "Congrats, buddy! Hey, we just found new info about the Grimoires. Turns out you have to fuse them to save the world, get to it!"

And then the Shadowlord hosed the plan up by kidnapping Yonah, so Nier's stuck thinking Noir is the ultimate evil or something.

chiasaur11 posted:

Honestly, is there anyone who'd make a giant cannon whose first plan wouldn't be "Blow up the moon"?

It's such a gimmee answer, you know?

Hey, you never know. Maybe the tower's a huge laser and they plan to carve, "MACHINES RULE, ANDROIDS DROOL!" on the moon. :v:

Augus posted:

Kyle McCarley does such an amazing job at selling the character. This game's english acting as a whole is stellar, an aspect of the original I am very glad was carried over.

The chilling laughter as 9S breaks down has already been mentioned, but another thing I like about Kyle's performance is how 9S sounds so drat tired now. It really sells how much the events are taking its toll on him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Hey, you never know. Maybe the tower's a huge laser and they plan to carve, "MACHINES RULE, ANDROIDS DROOL!" on the moon. :v:

Sadly, they only managed to fit three letters.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Honestly speaking if the level 3 pods were less of a pain to actually achieve I'd upgrade them every playthrough, because the level 3 versions make a bunch of noise and explosions and are fun to fire even if they're not actually any good at damage.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

:airquote: less pain :airquote:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I like the part where 9S comments the Network is just messing with him, because it is. It's mocking his every attempt, with 2B, to find meaning or connection to the machines by hinting that yes, everything they thought they were doing to help individuals may have just been a sick attempt to gently caress with them.

The Soul Box is where the Network's sadism towards 9S goes into overdrive. It's deliberately dribbling out things just enough to unbalance and hurt him and he's not doing very well to begin with. The whole affair is intended to tell 9S: You don't matter. Your entire world doesn't matter. The woman you love doesn't matter and we're going to take even the memory of her from you. You're discarded trash. Now what are you going to do?

I mean, when you get right down to it, the Resource Collection towers aren't intended to stop 9S, they're meant to egg him on and eat away at his mind. He really, really needs to take a breather and rest, but he can't do that because everything they're doing is designed to keep him too angry to stop.

The Network are sick fucks, and the chests to "reward" 9S for your actions in the sidequest are a great use of game design for narrative purpose.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 5, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Honestly speaking if the level 3 pods were less of a pain to actually achieve I'd upgrade them every playthrough, because the level 3 versions make a bunch of noise and explosions and are fun to fire even if they're not actually any good at damage.

All levels of pod are ridiculously broken to the point of you only needing to hold the pod fire button to defeat 99% of the enemies in the game and the level three ones only exacerbate that problem though.

Jetrauben posted:

a great use of game design for narrative purpose.

nier_series.txt

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
It may just be that I'm dumb but I actually wasn't super clear on what was going on in that whole scene, it just worked for me because of how emotional 9S was.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zoe posted:

It may just be that I'm dumb but I actually wasn't super clear on what was going on in that whole scene

9S is losing his goddamn mind. The machines are helping.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 5, 2017

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Man, things have just not been going well for Alm since Celica bit it.

I realize one of the two don't match but it still works!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zoe posted:

It may just be that I'm dumb but I actually wasn't super clear on what was going on in that whole scene, it just worked for me because of how emotional 9S was.

Can I join your club of dumb people?

Best guess is that hacking isn't good for your health.

From the document I assume that after Nier died some replicant/gestalt/human information was encoded using this thing and beamed to a server on the moon. So all will be fine in the end. :)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Zoe posted:

There were pictures of 2B in 9S' head. They're gone now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Alternatively they’re still there and he’s being mentally screwed by Hacking into the Machine Network.

Basically we’re getting some real mental anguish out of poor 9S and his memories of 2B are a part of that.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Hack not lest ye be hacked

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
If you take the scene literally, it's kind of out-of-character for Nines to wish harm on Toobie. Only reason he would do that would be if his memories of her were erased as the scene implies and his hatredboner extended to all machine (including YorHa per the latest) life forms. Alternatively it's just the machines loving with him but I doubt the scene presented is simply to convey that whatever our favorite dweeb is up against is antagonistic considering what happened at the meat box.

Or maybe he really wanted to **** 2B after all, idk

Absum
May 28, 2013

I interpreted it as the orb having a copy of 9S's memories from when he was a machine and the orb just deleting that copy and 9S just not being able to handle seeing "his" memories disappear because he's not in the best state of mind.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Given that the whole point of this resource unit is to mess with 9S, do we really trust the bit about Yorha black boxes being repurposed machine cores? That could just be a lie from the network to get at 9S.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

jyrque posted:

If you take the scene literally, it's kind of out-of-character for Nines to wish harm on Toobie. Only reason he would do that would be if his memories of her were erased as the scene implies and his hatredboner extended to all machine (including YorHa per the latest) life forms. Alternatively it's just the machines loving with him but I doubt the scene presented is simply to convey that whatever our favorite dweeb is up against is antagonistic considering what happened at the meat box.

Or maybe he really wanted to **** 2B after all, idk

I would say that the screaming and murdering 2B after the Machine Code swaps can be easily explained as 9S killing something using her face to torment him and him going crazier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Holy poo poo the voice acting :staredog:

• Locked thread