Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

When I click here it just takes me to the "why do I need to upload my ID?" page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

lol I find it hilarious that people are like "I can't work a webpage" while 3 million randoms on the internet manage it and are like "Clearly crypto is hosed because I can't work an email verification" unironically

which was the same move divabot did

lol

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

lol indeed. good luck figuring out this arcane ritual, if you complete it successfully you may be able to buy a digital beanie baby in 2017's ponzi scheme for the ages

and it's called a tulip auction ;) Man do they even know what Mt Gox stands for? Well it's the wrong kind of magic cards, turns out.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh here we go, buried at the bottom of the support page (with no contact #s or emails might I add) is "current status"

Put that on the top of the landing page for transactions please - explains why it insta-failed my ID check with no error message.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bitcoin is dumb because I can't figure out how to use a website that junkies and Bitcoin libertarians navigate and use successfully every day

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Ham Sandwiches posted:

3 million people didn't have email problems and managed it in the span of a few months, so while there are hiccups it seems to work for many people

Presumably COMRADES would be included in the registration count today, even though he's having difficulty verifying his identity.

How do you know those other 3 million people haven't had any issues?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Conversely you don't have to defend a bad website because it's connected to crypto. You can commiserate on these things comfortably. It actually makes your argument's position stronger instead of painting yourself as a crypto White Knight desperate to bang a coin

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Goodpancakes posted:

Conversely you don't have to defend a bad website because it's connected to crypto. You can commiserate on these things comfortably. It actually makes your argument's position stronger instead of painting yourself as a crypto White Knight desperate to bang a coin

No this is mega dumb. According to you I should sit there and be like "You're right, despite 3 million people managing it on that same website recently I'm sure crypto is doomed because your email verification was blank due to their poo poo being down"

My bank website wouldn't let me see my statements because it was down for maintenance... it would be really dumb of me to try to paint that as a slam against fiat whatever instead of like "heyy err it happened to be down when I went to use it"

What was the "correct post" to make about a dude that tried to sign up when it was down and didn't read the notification, please tell me, I gotta see this poo poo

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No this is mega dumb. According to you I should sit there and be like "You're right, despite 3 million people managing it on that same website recently I'm sure crypto is doomed because your email verification was blank due to their poo poo being down"

My bank website wouldn't let me see my statements because it was down for maintenance... it would be really dumb of me to try to paint that as a slam against fiat whatever instead of like "heyy err it happened to be down when I went to use it"

I don't think he was slamming crypto or ethereum, just making fun of a janky website. You care too much about this poo poo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Typically a server outage is communicated clearly at the start of a page and not tucked away at the bottom.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

What was the "correct post" to make about a dude that tried to sign up when it was down and didn't read the notification, please tell me, I gotta see this poo poo

You keep repeating 3 mil as if it is meaningful somehow. Out of how many? If 100 mil people tried to register and couldn't suddenly 3 mil looks like a poo poo house number.

Besides which just because it was working last month doesn't mean poo poo either, my point here is more that it doesn't really speak to reliability when your biggest exchange apparently goes down for hours with no warning or notice and also there's no one to contact on the support page.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

COMRADES posted:

my point here is more that it doesn't really speak to reliability when your biggest exchange apparently goes down for hours with no warning or notice and also there's no one to contact on the support page.

if it's down then how does the number keep getting bigger? checkmate fiatard

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inept posted:

I don't think he was slamming crypto or ethereum, just making fun of a janky website. You care too much about this poo poo

But if you start poking holes in any of it, the whole ship sinks pretty quickly.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wasn't even looking for an argument or to comment on the coins themselves so much as "haha coinbase needs to fix their poo poo up a bit."

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

COMRADES posted:

When I click here it just takes me to the "why do I need to upload my ID?" page.

this is the same problem I had and I never saw any server outage message about it, it was months ago also

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wanted to buy kittys but they're all too expensive now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

CassandraZara posted:

I wanted to buy kittys but they're all too expensive now.

You can buy real kitties from your local pet store!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Or from a shelter!

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You could try not being a loving spaz about it. The dude is signing up for crypto, a thing you love, and he's pointing out that the site won't let him do anything at the moment. "That happens from time to time" would have worked. The guy is finally checking crypto out. You've won. Now shut the gently caress up.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It is now official. Netcraft has confirmed: Bitcoin is dying

One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered Bitcoin community when IDC confirmed that Bitcoin market share has dropped yet again, now down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all currency. Coming on the heels of a recent Netcraft survey which plainly states that Bitcoin has lost more market share, this news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. Bitcoin is collapsing in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last [samag.com] in the recent Sys Admin comprehensive networking test.

You don't need to be the Amazing Kreskin [amazingkreskin.com] to predict Bitcoin's future. The hand writing is on the wall: "Bitcoin faces a bleak future. In fact there won't be any future at all for Bitcoin because Bitcoin is dying. Things are looking very bad for Bitcoin. As many of us are already aware, Bitcoin continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of blood.

Coinbase is the most endangered of them all, having lost 93% of its core developers. Their email verification doesn't even work, and the website is dogshit. There can no longer be any doubt: Bitcoin is dying.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It is now official. Netcraft has confirmed: Bitcoin is dying

One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered Bitcoin community when IDC confirmed that Bitcoin market share has dropped yet again, now down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all currency. Coming on the heels of a recent Netcraft survey which plainly states that Bitcoin has lost more market share, this news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. Bitcoin is collapsing in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last [samag.com] in the recent Sys Admin comprehensive networking test.

You don't need to be the Amazing Kreskin [amazingkreskin.com] to predict Bitcoin's future. The hand writing is on the wall: "Bitcoin faces a bleak future. In fact there won't be any future at all for Bitcoin because Bitcoin is dying. Things are looking very bad for Bitcoin. As many of us are already aware, Bitcoin continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of blood.

Coinbase is the most endangered of them all, having lost 93% of its core developers. Their email verification doesn't even work, and the website is dogshit. There can no longer be any doubt: Bitcoin is dying.

lol

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have too many real kittys as is.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
is there a way to buy bitcoin with my 401k/ira?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

COMRADES posted:

OK I had to make a CoinBase account to buy some EtherCoins so it asked me to put my email in and then it send me the verification code... and now there's no link in the email and nowhere on their page to enter the verification code.

:thumbsup:

e: Had to go back to some other page but manage to do it.

a sad day watching comrade COMRADES buying the cryptocurrencies of pigdog capitalists

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

is there a way to buy bitcoin with my 401k/ira?

you can always just take a big fat withdrawal and go nuts

or a loan against yourself in the case of your 401k

You probably shouldn't use your retirement funds to speculate in high-risk markets but that's up to you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

lol indeed. good luck figuring out this arcane ritual, if you complete it successfully you may be able to buy a digital beanie baby in 2017's ponzi scheme for the ages

and it's called a tulip auction ;) Man do they even know what Mt Gox stands for? Well it's the wrong kind of magic cards, turns out.

for real dude you must have the thinnest skin imaginable if you perceive a comment like "man I wish the Coinbase website would work better" as an all-out assault on cryptocurrencies

*puts on a helmet with a bitcoin logo on it* MAN THE BARRICADES, SOMEONE IS ATTACKING BITCOIN!

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
bitcoin died the moment i didnt buy any, in my (humble) opinion

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

COMRADES posted:

Did you pay your membership bitcoin?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
are there transfer fees for BTC? are people trading it like it's on the FOREX?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

myDad posted:

transfer fees are optional but in actuality your traffic sits in a queue prioritized by how much you bribed of a fee you offered the miners

on average btc fees are like $3-5 to get processed within a block of two. you could use alts if you actually wanted the utility and minimal fees but lol if you're not just hopping on the garbage train to bandwagon town.

Computer Serf fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 4, 2017

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
greed is... bad?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Computer Serf posted:

transfer fees are optional but in actuality your traffic sits in a queue prioritized by how much you bribed of a fee you offered the miners

on average btc fees are like $3-5 to get processed within a block of two. you could use alts if you actually wanted the utility and minimal fees but lol if you're not just hopping on the garbage train to bandwagon town.

Note that if your fee is too low then your transaction will get dropped completely after sitting in limbo for awhile, so while yes you can technically not attach a fee to a transaction it's only really the libertarian definition of "optional"

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

poverty goat posted:

Bitcoin is dumb because I can't figure out how to use a website that junkies and Bitcoin libertarians navigate and use successfully every day

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

you can always just take a big fat withdrawal and go nuts

or a loan against yourself in the case of your 401k

You probably shouldn't use your retirement funds to speculate in high-risk markets but that's up to you
no doubt that sinking all of your retirement funds into bitcoin is bad, but speculating in bitcoin isn't an all/nothing thing, you can use 1-2% of your retirement funds. imo that's fine for a young person with high risk tolerance

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

myDad posted:

there are transfer fees but i think you might be asking about trading fees? you don't have to transfer bitcoin if you're trading on an exchange, the bitcoin is held by the exchange and they just keep track of who owns it as its traded between users. fees vary by exchange, but typically they are 0.1% to 0.3%, with lower fees for makers and higher fees for takers. for example, GDAX charges no fee for makers and 0.25% for takers. bitfinex charges 0.1% for makers and 0.2% for takers. bittrex charges 0.25% for every trade

some exchanges have progressive fee systems that reward high-volume traders with lower fees, so it's possible for some people to get extremely low fees and trade at high frequencies

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 5, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Uranium 235 posted:

there are transfer fees but i think you might be asking about trading fees? you don't have to transfer bitcoin if you're trading on an exchange, the bitcoin is held by the exchange and they just keep track of who owns it as its traded between users. fees vary by exchange, but typically they are 0.1% to 0.3%, with lower fees for makers and higher fees for takers. for example, GDAX charges no fee for makers and 0.25% for takers. bitfinex charges 0.1% for makers and 0.2% for takers. bittrex charges 0.25% for every trade

some exchanges have progressive fee systems that reward high-volume traders with lower fees, so it's possible for some people to get extremely low fees and trade at high frequencies

no poo poo! might play with this instead of gold etfs

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

myDad posted:

no poo poo! might play with this instead of gold etfs

Bitfinex offers margin trading, and totally isn't insolvent and making up for the insolvency by manipulating the market to close people's positions.

My suggestion: mortgage your house, and leverage it 100x to bet on altcoins. you could turn $100,000 into billions in an afternoon. There's no downside!

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Too bad bitfinex doesn’t allow us customers because of things like “regulation” and “compliance” or whatever that boring crap is.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't know what kind of janky third-rate bank you use, but when my bank's site is down for maintenance they usually warn me around a day in advance, and even when they don't there's a message right there on the main page about it, not buried at the bottom of some other page somewhere.

In other news, I just saw this on the Facebooks from a friend who (AFAIK) isn't into cryptos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

What this image is really missing is a conclusion. It should say at the bottom "congratulations you are dumb if you are into cryptos".