Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest Schedules :siren:

• JP Do you wanna use warm Inner or Outer clothing in Winter? @ December 9th 15:00 JT

• EU Films vs Books @ December 9th 16:00 CET
All Splatfests last for 24 hours.

Another sponsored Splatfest for Japan: UNIQLO asks you to forget about being fresh and consider how you keep yourself warm in the winter. Meanwhile Europe gets to answer one of the most hotly debated cultural questions of our lifetime, namely Films or Books? Or are the kids all about Minecraft nowadays, I just don't know anymore.

No Splatfest yet announced for colonial vagrants, but maybe next week the fax machine will sing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Not my finest hour.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/936171690589003776

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amppelix posted:

Winter clothes are not "overrated", they're things what you put on to not get the shivers when it's cold outside.

luv 2b chilly

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've been looking for a new weapon to replace the N-Zap cause its kinda my crutch, but I'm level 20~ and a lot of the new added weapons aren't open to me yet. The Glooga dualies weren't tho and my first round with them I got 21 kills so im in love

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Won four games in a row with the Gloogas. :smug:

... Then lost four in a row. :smith:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
A tip for riding the tower in Tower Control. If a Charger is aiming at you while you're riding it, don't squid and hide in the ink. That actually flattens your hitbox to the point where they can hit you around the pylon, even if you're behind it. Staying in kid form is actually better for dodging Charger shots.

Now if a Blaster is trying to get at you, just hop off. You aren't dodging that!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

A tip for riding the tower in Tower Control. If a Charger is aiming at you while you're riding it, don't squid and hide in the ink. That actually flattens your hitbox to the point where they can hit you around the pylon, even if you're behind it. Staying in kid form is actually better for dodging Charger shots.

Whoa

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
That's some good advice!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I had me some good moments

https://twitter.com/1stLethalGeek/status/937230470550503424
CLUTCH

https://twitter.com/1stLethalGeek/status/937230131986186245
I really like the boost I got off the wall to get in range and I will never be that slick again lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

When are we going to get to play the new mode? Has it been added to the rotation already?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

When are we going to get to play the new mode? Has it been added to the rotation already?

It's getting added later in December I believe. If I could guess, it would be after the NA splatfest an right around Christmas

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boner posted:

I should've chucked a grenade over near my teammates or something, but I get tunnel vision when I know we're good on eggs in the last seconds of a round.
https://twitter.com/switchdotjpeg/status/935704468049428480

This is me panicking because we were just a couple eggs shy and I wasn't immediately thinking of the best way to get 'em:

https://twitter.com/BonzoESC/status/937398275878961152

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
In it, voted 5

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
What's with the toe-sucking memes all over the plaza?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't know what determines which posts show up in the plaza the most, but somehow they are always terrible.

rip miiverse, you didn't deserve this as a follow up to your legacy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Geez, high profreshional is an entirely different beast than low profreshional. After a certain point, 3 Salmomids were spawning at a time instead of 2. Being dead in Salmon Run is one of the biggest setbacks in the mode, so you really have to play a lot safer here and try to avoid risky plays. Being greedy with the eggs is a good way to lose a shift immediately. Reviving teammates is one of the top priorities at this point, since you can do so many more things with a living team member than a dead one. Also screw the whole luring the Salmonids to the basket thing here. You want everything dead ASAP, since you get overrun a lot more easily.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

nice

e: actually yeah higher up is a whole different ball game which is why i wish mr grizz would have something higher up than profreshional

Smiles fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 4, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Smiles posted:

nice

e: actually yeah higher up is a whole different ball game which is why i wish mr grizz would have something higher up than profreshional

It also needs to be fixed, because it turns out that yes, anyone in Profeshional can be matched up with anyone in Profreshional. No matter what their pay grades are. Even if a Profreshional room has an Overachiver or lower in it. (I knew this because upon winning an 800 match, Grizz gave out the pre-Profresh speech. That can't have been a fun experience for them at all.)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

They should cap it at 300%.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
As a first-timer to the colorful world of Splatoon, how should I be buying things? As soon as I can get them or not? Get good at using every weapon or choose one and stick to it? Are some better than others?

I love this game but there’s a lot I’m still learning. Like super jumping for instance, haven’t figured that one out yet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tardigrade posted:

As a first-timer to the colorful world of Splatoon, how should I be buying things? As soon as I can get them or not? Get good at using every weapon or choose one and stick to it? Are some better than others?

I love this game but there’s a lot I’m still learning. Like super jumping for instance, haven’t figured that one out yet.

You can test weapons in the shop, buy the ones that appeal to you more first.

For clothes, just buy what looks good to you. Abilities don’t matter that much, especially for the early game. Looking fresh is more important.:v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm not entirely sure how Salmon Run works, but i'm an Overachiever and i'm now mentally trained to bail the gently caress out if things are looking remotely hairy and there's 30 seconds or less left. Let everyone else fight, i'll survive so we pass the round.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tardigrade posted:

You can bring up a map during a match and there's a little aim icon you can direct to one of your teammates or your spawn and then superjump to it, I'm pretty sure you can test this out in scout mode. You can also look up stage info in the main lobby and if you're low on cash do some salmon runs when those become available (you collect your pay from a kiosk outside of grizzco). That being said the basic starting weapons are super good and just because a weapon is expensive or locked behind high level requirements that doesn't necessarily mean you'll like it at all. Practice with weapons in the test area before using them in a match, it's super helpful.

SeANMcBAY posted:

For clothes, just buy what looks good to you. Abilities don’t matter that much, especially for the early game. Looking fresh is more important.:v:

Wisdom.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, until you start meta-gaming towards S, your gear is just little bonuses, so just wear what you like and sweat the details when it matters (and if you don't care about comp, ignore step 2!).

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm not entirely sure how Salmon Run works, but i'm an Overachiever and i'm now mentally trained to bail the gently caress out if things are looking remotely hairy and there's 30 seconds or less left. Let everyone else fight, i'll survive so we pass the round.

At Overachiever that's probably fine since the egg total is really low, but ignore too much as you level up more and you'll not able to survive 3s never the less 30s without your teammates when you got an eel , 2 flyfish, and a stinger all targeting you alone. You do have to work with them the harder and harder it gets.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
behold
https://twitter.com/g00dguy23/status/937859173789843456

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

That's why I just jump from the grate on either side if someone is on those platforms. The one on the left.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
High tide Smokeyard is a nightmare. I once threw splat bomb to take out Maws, but it rolled past the target and exploded near a platform fan instead, taking out a fellow teammate who trying to board it. I felt horrible, but still had to laugh. I also fell into the water because someone's blaster was indirectly within range of the fan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

LethalGeek posted:

At Overachiever that's probably fine since the egg total is really low, but ignore too much as you level up more and you'll not able to survive 3s never the less 30s without your teammates when you got an eel , 2 flyfish, and a stinger all targeting you alone. You do have to work with them the harder and harder it gets.

Hahah turns out I had reached Profreshional when I made that post and I am not even reaching wave 3 on this shift, so you are extra-correct and i am eatin gshit so hardlahsdgoh

e: won one!
getting the hang of it now, but jesus, the escalation from overachiever to profreshional was high

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 5, 2017

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This may be the most clutch win I've ever had.

https://twitter.com/CodCartSA/status/937890937937657857?s=17

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Thanks! I mostly use rollers because I like running things over, but I’m worried that I could be doing better with something else. :shobon:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hahah turns out I had reached Profreshional when I made that post and I am not even reaching wave 3 on this shift, so you are extra-correct and i am eatin gshit so hardlahsdgoh

e: won one!
getting the hang of it now, but jesus, the escalation from overachiever to profreshional was high

I can't stop giggling at this.

For those reading this later there were 2 separate edits as the progress from pain to enlightenment occurred.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
If anyone has a problem of their aim wandering to the side when using motion controls, now is a good time to download the latest Switch firmware. I know I had mine floating to the left when first initialized, so I had to put my Joy-con on a flat surface to reset properly. This would even happen at some starts. After the update I can attest that the fix works.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah my right joycon drifts left in the lobby.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

https://twitter.com/nephzinho/status/938143211226148864

Thanks for the assist, brella buddy!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Todd_Spengo/status/938575746355695616

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I wondered what that icon underneath the weapon name in the lobby screen was. Mine was "raw" for the longest time. Tonight, I had a multi-game winning streak, by chance getting paired up with the same lvl 20+ people (I started at level 6 tonight). It's been a bit now and my streak finally broke, now I'm at 9 and the rating was 11. Then I lost a few games and it's down to 8.5.

Is this the "fresh bonus" that was happening occasionally between games?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I wondered what that icon underneath the weapon name in the lobby screen was. Mine was "raw" for the longest time. Tonight, I had a multi-game winning streak, by chance getting paired up with the same lvl 20+ people (I started at level 6 tonight). It's been a bit now and my streak finally broke, now I'm at 9 and the rating was 11. Then I lost a few games and it's down to 8.5.

Is this the "fresh bonus" that was happening occasionally between games?

Yup. Goes up by 1 with each win and down by 0.5, 1 or 1.5 depending on how high it is. You get bonuses at 5, 10 and 15. it keeps tracking beyond that but thats just for fun

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!
The other side of this:

https://twitter.com/icenexx/status/938561260529926145

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I want to see a combo video of that.