Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Memento posted:

No roll-bars, roll-over bars. Just like a single upright at the back of the quadbike that means if it rolls, it forms a triangle with the ground as opposed to pancaking the rider.

Like the pictures in the article I linked indicate.

I literally didn't notice those the first time I read the article. Having rolled plenty of quads I can't really picture how something that low could help. In fact at least two of my crashes the second one (the one that looks like a traditional bike/motorcycle "sissy bar" would have possibly speared me in the back as I went over the bars.

I guess maybe they make more sense on a utility-style quad, but as far as I see those are losing a lot of ground to UTVs which pretty much all have full cages anyways. No way in hell on a sport quad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MausoleumExtremist posted:

See also reduced reaction time when autonomous braking is active.

Also there are statistics saying that 50+ percent of reported crashes occur five miles or less from home and something like 75+ percent occur within 15 miles. Another thing to factor in when "just going around the corner".

Has any study been done on why they occur so close to the home? It might be just because the majority of drives people take are going to be 5 to 15 miles as opposed to road trips, so people are in their cars more often for the short distances and you obviously can't crash when you're not driving.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Has any study been done on why they occur so close to the home? It might be just because the majority of drives people take are going to be 5 to 15 miles as opposed to road trips, so people are in their cars more often for the short distances and you obviously can't crash when you're not driving.

Yeah I've heard that statistic many times and I think it would be cool to see (% of crashes that occur within 15 miles of home) graphed alongside (% of miles driven that occur within 15 miles of home).

Logically if you spend most of your time in one area, the chances of you having an accident in that area will go up. It's not like the roads get more and more dangerous the further you get from your house.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've always heard it as you're so familiar with the area you're driving, you're just not as alert as you would be otherwise.

But yeah, it would be interesting to read some serious literature on the topic of what might be going on.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

chitoryu12 posted:

I believe that's the exact reason you have so many crashes close to home (you drive a lot close to home). The reason people quote that statistic isn't because it's a mystery why, it's to counteract people that don't wear seatbelts or safety gear on short drives because "it's just around the block" or "I know this neighborhood like the back of my hand" or whatever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd assume it's because most people's jobs and shopping aren't more than 5-15 miles away? 50% of accidents within 5 miles because 50% of trips are in that same range?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

15 miles is also a pretty hefty drive in urban areas. If you live out in the sticks you may drive 40 or 50 miles just to reach the nearest major town, but I live only about 8 miles from my work and people in places like NYC usually live only 3 or 4 miles away. In my area, 15 miles is often an interstate drive.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Worst accident I ever had was about 100-yards from my front door. Unlicensed driver left-turned me, I hit her head-on.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PainterofCrap posted:

Worst accident I ever had

WHY, TONIGHT'S THE ANNIVERSARY

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Partially I'd guess it's also caused by less safe roads close to home. Highways are, generally speaking, very safe roads. Most homes do not have their own on-ramp.

TL;DR: Long trips often take place on safer roads.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Most drunk drivers also tend to drive towards residential areas.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

half of a ten mile drive is within five miles of where you set out from. you'd have to to drive quite a lot of long trips for that 5 mile area to be a minor portion of your travel.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

WHY, TONIGHT'S THE ANNIVERSARY

:perfect:

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Zipperelli. posted:

Sure. But that's a very specific instance. Probably on the low side of "vehicles involved in auto accidents" statistic. Especially considering that there's a crash every, what? 15 seconds or something dumb like that?

Also, I've seen a few accidents with gas tanker trucks with no fire. Reality isn't a Michael Bay film. Funny enough, if you see a gas tanker on fire, for some reason, it's usually the only vehicle involved.

If the tanker does catch fire, it's not always instantaneous. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la2ua_DtFKU

Two minutes from impact to truck catching fire. Almost 6 minutes from time of impact to (a rather impressive) fiery explosion.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

On the other side of the story about not wearing seat belts, I had a buddy in highschool get tossed from his flipping and rolling vehicle while not wearing a seat belt and then get promptly steamrolled as his truck landed on him.

I knew a guy who got skull plates by flinging himself out the drivers side window while doing doughnuts in the walmart parking lot.

He's an EOD tech now.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
I guess he's getting good money and his adrenaline fix in the same place now.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

GET. hosed. :cry:

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

The beginning of natural selection in action.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MausoleumExtremist posted:

See also reduced reaction time when autonomous braking is active.

Also there are statistics saying that 50+ percent of reported crashes occur five miles or less from home and something like 75+ percent occur within 15 miles.

I heard this was the case, so I moved.

(Serious answer: 50+% of driving occurs within 5 miles of the home, and 75% within 15).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why was the car driving the wrong way?

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

RandomPauI posted:

Why was the car driving the wrong way?

Drugs/alcohol and a possible death wish. The truck driver thinks the guy actually aimed for him.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apparently because of frozen mist blocking the air inlets this Shell tank crushed itself. Must have made some noise.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

It may not be OSHA now, but I feel there was some OSHA level poo poo going on when it was being built.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Zil posted:

It may not be OSHA now, but I feel there was some OSHA level poo poo going on when it was being built.

Surely those aren't bricks and someone's just gone a little crazy with that paint-on brick texture stuff?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It’s like they used a clone brush to finish the job.

edit: It’s like they used a Sagebrush to post their joke.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 7, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That looks for all the world like somebody clone-stamped out a bunch of windows or something.

e: ah, gently caress you

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I want it to be an art piece, like the only concession given to the architects initial vision.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Google Maps seems to agree with the photo: Streetview

Also, bigger photo: https://i.redd.it/e3tokw7zgc201.jpg

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Interesting, the funkadelic brickwork seems to be all over the building.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Maybe it's not structural brick?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theage.com.au/nsw/two-men-trapped-in-a-tank-in-sydneys-west-20171206-h00b5l.html

Three men in an ink vat and the stirring blade turned on.

quote:

New South Wales Ambulance were called to the business, DIC Australia, at 8:45am.

New South Wales Fire and Rescue said the men, believed to be aged in their 30s or 40s, were "trapped by compression" at the site on Chisholm Road in Auburn.

The tank or vat was a cylinder shape and several metres high, Western Sydney NSW Ambulance Superintendent Paul Turner said.

"It is my belief that the arm inside the vat has caused the men to become trapped," he said.

"My understanding is that the men were doing maintenance … inside the vat but there was still ink hampering rescue efforts."

Two men were freed from the accident site and taken to Westmead Hospital with leg injuries and fractures, while the third man died inside the tank.

"The last person deteriorated on the scene … multiple ambulance resources [were] inside with the man trying to save his life," Superintendent Turner said.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Interesting, the funkadelic brickwork seems to be all over the building.

I can't remember the name of it but it's A Thing.

Bombadilillo posted:

Pretty sure it's not, yeah.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bombadilillo posted:

It's like that diagram of all of Mr. Burns' diseases trying to cram through a door: the bricks are all collapsing in conflicting directions so the building stays up.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Most brick nowadays is about as important to the structural integrity of a building as vinyl siding.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah brick hasn't been structural for a long long time, it's just a cladding.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Zil posted:

That makes me queezy to look at.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah brick hasn't been structural for a long long time, it's just a cladding.

and that sucks because structural brick always looks better than cladding and YES, I can tell

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Zil posted:

gently caress, that is precisely what a brick wall looks like when I eat shrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/nsw/two-men-trapped-in-a-tank-in-sydneys-west-20171206-h00b5l.html

Three men in an ink vat and the stirring blade turned on.

article posted:

"The last person deteriorated on the scene …

:stare:

I know what they meant but it sounds bad when you deteriorate in a vat of chemicals