Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I thankfully missed the Frozen short because I was late getting to the theater but wow Coco blew me away; I thought I had the plot figured out but somehow I didn't see de la Cruz killing Hector for his songs, even though it seems really obvious in hindsight. The second rendition of Remember Me tears stream down my face after it became obvious how the plot was gonna resolve itself

good movie, made me cry like I haven't in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I left a showing a showing of Three Billboards at the same time a showing of Coco was getting out, and there was a little girl just belting out all the lyrics she knew from Remember Me. Which was pretty much just "remember me" over and over.

Her mom looked super embarrassed, but kid was rocking it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The Frozen short was interminable but worth it because of the hand drawn Olaf Anna gave Elsa. I noted it was creepy, and the person I was with said, "Dear Mr. Policeman. You could have saved her."

Also Coco was really good. It was simple, but everything landed.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And of course when it's announced Disney is removing the Olaf short, all these fist-shaking Gen Xers and Baby Boomers are yelling about how ungrateful audiences are about a 'free short' and how people got no patience.

Dude, most shorts do not clock in at 20 minutes, and with kids below a certain age, getting them to sit still for nearly two hours and have them be quiet is a chore for parents.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Robindaybird posted:

And of course when it's announced Disney is removing the Olaf short, all these fist-shaking Gen Xers and Baby Boomers are yelling about how ungrateful audiences are about a 'free short' and how people got no patience.

Finish your plate.

Das Boo posted:

Quick, somebody see Coco again and count how many times they say "tradition" in the Frozen short.
Or make it a drinking game for someone you hate! :dance:

Tradition! Tradition Tradition! ........Tradition!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The last time a movie ever got a short 20 minutes long was Pokemon the Movie with Pikachu's Summer Vacation, and even that had an excuse because it was actually tied to the movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the main movie was only an hour and 15 minutes, so the overall time in theater is still a reasonable hour and a half or so.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Finish your plate

Save money by making less food

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You know, it's not that the short is 20 minutes that bothers me.
It's that it's terrible.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Robindaybird posted:

And of course when it's announced Disney is removing the Olaf short, all these fist-shaking Gen Xers and Baby Boomers are yelling about how ungrateful audiences are about a 'free short' and how people got no patience

:lol: Almost the same happened here in mexico. Lots of suddenly super fans of Frozen coming out of nowhere to call everyone boring and bitter meany people for not forcefully liking sitting 20 minutes to watch a "short" with a mediocre script and songs.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Tradition! Tradition Tradition! ........Tradition!
"And how do we keep our balance? That, I can tell you in one word..."

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Das Boo posted:

You know, it's not that the short is 20 minutes that bothers me.
It's that it's terrible.

Yeah, when those people are "But what about Prince and the Pauper or Mickey's Christmas Carol?" the response was "THEY DIDN'T SUCK and Prince and the Pauper had an intermission between it and the movie proper"

The movie is an hour and 15, but throw in a 20 minute short and 10-15 minutes of trailers, don't be a dick reminders and commercials it adds up to edging the two hour mark.

I don't know about where you guys are at, but for Wonder Woman I had to sit through nearly 20 minutes of ads before the film started, and we went in right when it's scheduled.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And then, worst of all, you had to see Wonder Woman.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pick posted:

And then, worst of all, you had to see Wonder Woman.

You shut your whore mouth, if I had said Justice League you have every right to say that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I didn't mind the Frozen short all that much, but we also had just one Incredibles 2 teaser for previews so time-wise we broke about even.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Barudak posted:

Save money by making less food

Sorry, I was making fun of the "more is always better" attitude I've always experienced in my authority figures.

One of these days I'll remember that I always add one tradition too many. :downs:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Frozen's The Lottery: Troubled by a childhood devoid of tradition, Queen Elsa introduces a new holiday to the people of Arendelle.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Robindaybird posted:

The movie is an hour and 15, but throw in a 20 minute short and 10-15 minutes of trailers, don't be a dick reminders and commercials it adds up to edging the two hour mark.

Yeah, back when shorts before movies were common, the trailer/commercial block wasn't anywhere near as long as it is now. These days only a Pixar-length short really makes sense. A 20-minute short along with at least 10 minutes of ads almost adds up to half the length of the actual movie, which is pretty crazy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wait, there are some places where there's a commercials that play at the actual showtime? Every theater I've ever been to will play commercials but they stop once it's the showtime and trailers begin.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In all my cinema experience, the start time advertised is the start of the programme. This consists of adverts, then trailers, then the movie. So the movie itself may be some 20 minutes after the advertised start time. If that’s not how it is for you, I guess you’re lucky?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wait, there are some places where there's a commercials that play at the actual showtime? Every theater I've ever been to will play commercials but they stop once it's the showtime and trailers begin.

In my country is like, if you get too early, you get to hear some special recorded radio show, then when it's the time for the movie to start usually comes one small "news" segment, then the ads (from mayo, to cinema festivals, to political parties), then you got the trailer block, and then the movie. The movies always start like 15-20 minutes after the time given in your ticket. So yes, lots of people were irritated of another 20 minutes of something they didn't want to watch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

So the movie itself may be some 20 minutes after the advertised start time.

Same here in Australia, although recently it's been creeping closer to 30 minutes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yup, I went to a 10 PM Coco showing, arrived a few minutes after and still had time to get a drink and shoot the poo poo for 20 minutes. And when we went in, the Frozen short was still going.

e: Oh! I have to add that as we were hanging out in front of the theater (showing room, not the building), we watched a woman come out, look at the room's header, then walk off in the direction of the lobby. Five minutes later, she returned and went back into the theater. :haw:

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 4, 2017

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
The AMC I usually go to generally stops the commercials at the stated start time, but previews can last 20+ minutes from that point, so adding a 20 minute short on top of that is just too much. I usually look forward to the shorts before Disney or Pixar stuff, but Olaf's Whatever is exactly the wrong combination of mediocre and overlong, so that it detracts from, rather than adds to, the overall experience. I'm tempted to go see Coco again since I found out my local theater is doing some showings in Spanish, so it's a relief to hear they're ditching it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
AMC sucks. Whenever possible I go to my local corner theater which doesn't play ads at all and has like 2-3 trailers before the movie, but they can't show everything with only 4 projectors so sometimes it's not an option.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Anybody else get a chuckle out of the end credits last scene of Coco, someone decided to put their pet Husky in there.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

AMC sucks. Whenever possible I go to my local corner theater which doesn't play ads at all and has like 2-3 trailers before the movie, but they can't show everything with only 4 projectors so sometimes it's not an option.

My local AMC is the best theater in town, so :shrug:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

my theater is part of a local chain, so they end up making sales by higher quality than norm food and lots and lots of local ads (I think if I end up running into one of the local law firms I may end up instinctively smacking their smug faces after having it burned into my retinas

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
One of the best parts of the Frozen backlash backlash is old-timers mentioning the long shorts before Rescuers and Rescuers Down Under. Yes, there were 20-minute shorts tied to those too - but Disney ADDED AN INTERMISSION before starting the feature film.

I usually love the Disney shorts, to the extent that I was pissed Zootopia didn't have one beforehand, too.

I think that minute-long "guys this is how hard we worked on this" segment after Frozen but before Coco was meant to be a palate cleanser.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My friends kept joking that the Frozen short was there to provide the necessary amount of whiteness to ease the audience into a film with no white characters?!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Das Boo posted:

My friends kept joking that the Frozen short was there to provide the necessary amount of whiteness to ease the audience into a film with no white characters?!

chances are reasonably good that this is literally the point

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

CRINDY posted:

One of the best parts of the Frozen backlash backlash is old-timers mentioning the long shorts before Rescuers and Rescuers Down Under. Yes, there were 20-minute shorts tied to those too - but Disney ADDED AN INTERMISSION before starting the feature film.

yeah, and they apparently forgot what it's like to get a kid under the age of eight to stay still and quiet - I've been in an Imax show of Prisoner of Azkaban (twice, since first time they had a glitch where the sound completely cut out before the shrieking shack segment and couldn't get it back so free tickets to a different showing), anyways, both times, had younger kids in the audience that started to get antsy about 3/4ths of the way in with either starting to loudly ask questions or parents having to yank them back into their seats or tell them to stop kicking seats, etc.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

CRINDY posted:

I think that minute-long "guys this is how hard we worked on this" segment after Frozen but before Coco was meant to be a palate cleanser.
The minute-long what

We didn't get anything like that, it just went immediately from Frozen to Coco.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Das Boo posted:

While watching the short I actually did wonder if people were going to make a deal out of the short mentioning Jewish people.

Shadow Hog posted:

The minute-long what

We didn't get anything like that, it just went immediately from Frozen to Coco.
After the short we had a brief clip consisting of some Pixar people explaining the work that went into creating the big reveal of the Land of the Dead. It was like maybe three minutes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man the Frozen short must be awful. I went to the theater today and there was a notice on the door for Coco warning people about the short and telling them when it would be over in relation to the start time if they wanted to skip it.

I hope they replace it with something rather than just axing it though

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

glam rock hamhock posted:

Man the Frozen short must be awful. I went to the theater today and there was a notice on the door for Coco warning people about the short and telling them when it would be over in relation to the start time if they wanted to skip it.

I hope they replace it with something rather than just axing it though

It's about as bad as Coco is good.

edit: imagine twenty straight minutes of characters singing with some bad jokes mixed in and you've got the entire experience.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's not that bad. It's about on par with a mediocre Christmas special for little kids. I would have still sat through this as opposed to an equivalent time in trailers.

The real issue is that it's 20 minutes long, and apparently a lot of theaters ran trailers too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/q0vW9nZ.mp4

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pants Donkey posted:

It's not that bad. It's about on par with a mediocre Christmas special for little kids.
Which is to say, pretty bad, especially in context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

IronicDongz posted:

Which is to say, pretty bad, especially in context.

Yeah, I kinda expect more from a Disney theatrical short than, say, A Very Skeletor Christmas.