Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Man With A Gun
Jul 22, 2007

Big Gun With A Man

sounds like pushing far right propaganda is more important than making a profit. the true efficiency of capitalism is revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

remember when the NYT let a Breitbart hitman right an article abut Uranium One and then they turned around and used that to legitimize the story as "even the NYT is reporting on it!" when it was their own dude writing the article.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

zegermans posted:

remember when the NYT let a Breitbart hitman right an article abut Uranium One and then they turned around and used that to legitimize the story as "even the NYT is reporting on it!" when it was their own dude writing the article.

not seeing how this isn't the NYT's fault.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

not seeing how this isn't the NYT's fault.

that's what I'm saying, they suck

isn't this the thread for nyt sucking

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zegermans posted:

that's what I'm saying, they suck

tis indeed

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
THE FAILING NEW YORK TIMES !

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/videos/10160229591560725/
oh my god theres a video

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Trumpus doesn't read the New Yorker, so we have no idea if it is failing or not

Here's an oddity: an article talking about millennial that gets it right - naturally it was written by a millennial. (I'd prefer about 300% more anger and swearing, but it is the New Yorker, what can you do)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/937646532781846528

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

that almost reads like a thomas friedman op ed in pointlessness

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
liberals have proven time and time again that they don't have the ideological foundation to deal with late capitalism. People are desperate and scared, and all liberals can give them is a bunch of high minded bullshit about Who We Are As A Nation, as if sentimentality put food on your plate. Naturally, everyone ignores them, and they continue to get surprised that they are being ignored.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

rudatron posted:

liberals have proven time and time again that they don't have the ideological foundation to deal with late capitalism. People are desperate and scared, and all liberals can give them is a bunch of high minded bullshit about Who We Are As A Nation, as if sentimentality put food on your plate. Naturally, everyone ignores them, and they continue to get surprised that they are being ignored.

these fuckers thought they had stumbled into the ultimate political strategy with clinton, blair and obama and now that the facade has been completely blown away and third way centrism is getting its rear end kicked everywhere in the world they cant understand why their bullshit no longer works

like yeah morons that poo poo worked in the 90s when people thought all problems had been solved and everything was going to be good always. obama managed to extend its expiration date by virtue of his enormous personal charisma. but what the gently caress are empty platitudes going to do when everyone with a brain and a salry under six figures can see with their own loving eyes that capitalism is going to kill us all

babypolis has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Dec 4, 2017

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

~demographics are destiny~

~coalition of the ascended~

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
lol I'm sure the suburbanites who voted Trump in are Desperate and Scared

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

It's not the nyt, but I feel the need to share this : Slate, doing hard hitting journalism, telling the stories that need to be told.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Newspapers should include memes in their review and critic sections imo.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

LinYutang posted:

trup voters were just following orders

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the failing WaPo

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/938333199528325120

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/938782496736661504

nice

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LinYutang posted:

while I agree that ruda is prolly oversimplifying, fear isn't always rational

white suburbanites, even the ones with job security and comparatively little to fear relative to anyone else alive, are some of the most perpetually terrified people to ever exist

there are people who live in 50k population, 97% white towns in the south who are mortally afraid of isis suicide bombers and kill squads

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Fear is finite so the fewer things you have to be afraid of, the more fear you spend on those things

Also, white people have a racial trait of +10000% fear points to allocate

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

white suburbanites, even the ones with job security and comparatively little to fear relative to anyone else alive, are some of the most perpetually terrified people to ever exist

there are people who live in 50k population, 97% white towns in the south who are mortally afraid of isis suicide bombers and kill squads

these are the sorts of people who leave their doors unlocked when they're not home, because they thought moving to a wealthy white neighborhood with a low crime rate and good schools meant that they would literally never ever have to worry about crime or any other kind of danger. they can't handle the idea that they might die at any time, so rather than coming to terms with a world where victimization is everywhere, they subconsciously build a fictional security blanket for themselves, dividing the world into "good guys" who would never hurt anyone and "bad guys" who are easily avoided, based on their pre-existing cultural preferences and biases

having constructed an irrational and unnatural feeling of excessive safety and security for themselves, they lash out at anything that threatens that imaginary safe space, such as non-whites outsiders and non-Christians people who don't quite fit in. and if they get the idea that "bad guys" could potentially masquerade as "good guys", then the resulting panic and hysteria kicks off an all-out witch-hunt (for example, the Satanic panics of the 80s)

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/939071916698210305

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

for fucks sake

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The reaching New York Times

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TL:DR -

"I wanted to prattle on about my basic bitch idea of what Buddhism means and get paid to do it, so I added a paragraph or two about Trump in there to trick my editor."

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

trump is, fatness aside, possibly the least Buddha-like person I can imagine

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

:psyduck:

Also I read Paul Krugman's blog and based on today's post it's getting moved to the pay section?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

The reaching New York Times

the howling hungry ghost of the New York Times

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zeris posted:

Fear is finite so the fewer things you have to be afraid of, the more fear you spend on those things

Also, white people have a racial trait of +10000% fear points to allocate

Heh, I traded my fear points in for rationality, and shooting proficiency.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yea, you can tell because of the knee-jerk reaction they have whenever an event that is less likely to kill you then a lightning strike occurs and suddenly Tools are to blame for people's actions.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fallen Hamprince posted:

trump is, fatness aside, possibly the least Buddha-like person I can imagine

fat buddha's bald as poo poo so they have that in common too

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I had a Times subscription. It was ok but I cancelled it and switched to The New Yorker. I like their reporting better even though their humor articles are terrible.

I dig the Atlantic too even though I don't really trust David Frum.

I'll read WaPo from time to time but their app stinks.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

lol Zizek's thing but like a thousand times worse

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Like i could almost see writing "the President's behavior brings to mind/explains this Buddhist principle", like at that point you're just writing one of those Philosophy and The Simpsons type books, but i think they are saying he actually is following this Buddhist principle.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

https://twitter.com/outersiberia/status/939348113361424384

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery

zegermans posted:

Yeah

my dick

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

finally somebody taking on the extreme right wing bias in americas universities

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

finally somebody taking on the extreme right wing bias in americas universities

Is your new gimmick pretending that Universities are a hotbed of sjw leftists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dreddout posted:

Is your new gimmick pretending that Universities are a hotbed of sjw leftists?

critical independent thought is pretty left of center in america tbqh