Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Crocoswine posted:

lets not give them the benefit of the doubt because when they're presented with these opportunities in the ideal conditions they still loving turn them down

that would mean admitting that the government can do good and useful things and that sometimes people need help rebuilding their lives through no fault of their own, which runs contrary to everything they build their lives around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

what about the ones that used that service to get more training in coal mining

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Truga posted:

it's already a dystopian nightmare

I think i did that in Bloodborne.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Crocoswine posted:

what about the ones that used that service to get more training in coal mining

they have a deep and unwavering commitment to professional excellence

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
artisan coal mining

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Truga posted:

I like how all college newspapers have ads to convince cash strapped college chicks to sell their eggs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Truga posted:

Donating plasma has been a thing for a while now. Advertising using the money for books is lolworthy though since it either goes to food and rent for those who need to make ends meet or booze for those who already can.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I used to sell plasma for beer & pizza money back in the early-00's.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, I used to sell plasma for beer & pizza money back in the early-00's.

The big deal is if demand for plasma or the price it goes for goes down

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

The big deal is if demand for plasma or the price it goes for goes down

they pay an average of like 35 a pint and sell it for like 1800 a pint so they can keep prices around where they're at pretty easily

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
'round here they build big 50 bed clinics in lower-class and college neighborhoods. Motherfuckers must just print money.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

'round here they build big 50 bed clinics in lower-class and college neighborhoods. Motherfuckers must just print money.

yep, college town here, it's like 100 beds probably and a nice facility and always at least half full

Any time volume dips even a little they run specials so people get even more, it's printing money lol

PR being turned into a rubble heap may have hurt their bottom line just a bit b/c that's where a lot of saline was made iirc, but not so much that they aren't sending me stuff bribing me into coming back. Probably would too if I healed a bit faster so I don't end up looking like a junkie all week

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Crocoswine posted:

except the people from that "nfl is niggers for life" article where a dude had like 150+ jobs available in his factories or whatever but all these miners in the area refused to retrain because they just love coal so goddamned much

like the jobs were there, they were just stubborn jackasses

I'll give you that a minority of them are retarded fuckos but, I need some kind of evidence if you're going to suggest its anymore than that.

Think about it, if you had a job that paid 80k/yr and someone comes to tell you about this retraining program that might get you a job paying a third of what you previously made. Are you going to take them up on it? gently caress no.

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

etalian posted:

I like how all college newspapers have ads to convince cash strapped college chicks to sell their eggs.

Last week, mine had an ad that said "Don't abort, we'll take your baby!" Everything about it screamed batshit Christians.

Azuth0667 posted:

I'll give you that a minority of them are retarded fuckos but, I need some kind of evidence if you're going to suggest its anymore than that.

Think about it, if you had a job that paid 80k/yr and someone comes to tell you about this retraining program that might get you a job paying a third of what you previously made. Are you going to take them up on it? gently caress no.

I have a cousin who was offered a free ride to art school but passed it up to work in the mines. When the mine fired him, his uncle trained him to work on air conditioners and wanted him to take over the business when he retired, but he wouldn't get certified because the mine will call any day now. He blames Obama for his problems.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I’m 28 and I’ve already had my dream career path blow up in my face twice and leave me in the student debttrap with no prospects. I now work 70+ hours a week at minimum wage in a radically different field but with a fairly well-defined career path. I don’t necessarily blame the, if it’s unpaid training for speculative jobs or one where they’d have to relocate, but anything else is stubborn laziness

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

She'll vote for him for reelection.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

in a world where robots can do all menial tasks the rich will pay desperate poor ppl to do the tasks anyway as a mark of status
no they loving won't, they'll kill the poor and just use something else to delinate status

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
do you think gold plated iphones are hand-made

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Not directly related to voting for trump, but they're trump voters so whatever
https://www.salon.com/2017/12/04/alt-right-women-are-upset-that-alt-right-men-are-treating-them-terribly/

quote:

Some prominent “alt-right” women are calling for more equality and acceptance
:laffo::laffo:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Truga posted:

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/04/alt-right-women-are-upset-that-alt-right-men-are-treating-them-terribly/

lol

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

:cawg:

Absolutely beautiful. The question is if they will ever circle the square on their position.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

rudatron posted:

covering everything in gold is not what billionaires do to denote status, it's what idiots with money do to cosplay as royalty. it's like naming your son after some stupid title of nobility, like Baron

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

rudatron posted:

look at this dork that doesn't understand the rush of inconspicuous wealth

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

why yes, this bauble I'm wearing really does cost more than your car

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

covering everything in gold is not what billionaires do to denote status, it's what idiots with money do to cosplay as royalty. it's like naming your son after some stupid title of nobility, like Baron

barron is named after john barron, the false name trump used to 'leak' ego-inflating fictional gossip about himself to the press.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

barron is named after john barron, the false name trump used to 'leak' ego-inflating fictional gossip about himself to the press.

yea, but that only reinforces my point. dude has a fetish for monarchy, especially the old-school autocrats

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
lol coal

quote:

Robert Murray, founder and CEO of Murray Energy, said Tuesday that the tax hike on coal mining firms that would result from the changes would cancel out progress that President Trump has made on reviving the coal industry, according to CNN.

"We won't have enough cash flow to exist," Murray told CNNMoney. "This wipes out everything that President Trump has done for coal."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Thatonesadtrombonesound.wav

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

I like how everyone is pretending coal mining is back and king of the world again. Thanks for the congrats.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Philthy posted:

I like how everyone is pretending coal mining is back and king of the world again. Thanks for the congrats.

it would've been if not for this new tax bill!! i blame obama

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of how australian politicians are jerking themselves raw over coal even though literally no one wants it.

Though didn't you already go through the 'retraining' thing with NAFTA and the programs either never materialised or were useless poo poo?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Government retraining programs are essentially a subsidy to the private sector anyway that maintains an exploitable reserve pool of labor. Because without taking on the costs of retraining themselves private companies aren't compelled to hire anybody on, and having all those people remaining job seekers also suppresses labor costs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gah

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inescapable Duck posted:

Reminded of how australian politicians are jerking themselves raw over coal even though literally no one wants it.

To an extent. Roughly half of our production is coking coal which people still want since there is no obvious replacement (unlike thermal coal).

Doesn't stop the right wing fuckwits wanking on about how important coal is for powering developing nations though.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

To an extent. Roughly half of our production is coking coal which people still want since there is no obvious replacement (unlike thermal coal).

Doesn't stop the right wing fuckwits wanking on about how important coal is for powering developing nations though.

I'm guessing Australia exports a lot of coal to China?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm guessing Australia exports a lot of coal to China?

And Japan (#1) and South Korea (#3). We export almost all of the coal we produce, and export more coking coal than anybody else (two big differences between us and America).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Xelkelvos posted:

She'll vote for him for reelection.

(They all will)

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Philthy posted:

http://www.clickhole.com/article/hell-yes-baby-it-special-choo-choo-medicine-called-5932

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy